Fluor Corp. Employee Reviews

Nepotism by Another Name
Area Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2018
IF you are willing to sacrifice family, lifestyle and everything else but the company, and put in long hours just for the sake of putting in long hours, have I got a company for you.
If you don't start with them right out of university you are 10 steps behind, and will never advance beyond roughly where you started.
If you are one of the golden ones, part of the High Potential, or various other "top secret" advancement programs, you can be set for life by 40 if you have the right image, and have sacrificed everything else, i.e. sent around the world on single status despite having a family etc...
Great company to work with
Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2018
Every work day was very exciting and challenging. The management group is very good and knowledgeable. The workplace was excellent, I had learned a lot during that short time.
Overall a great company to work for
General Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB5 April 2018
Started out the day with safety meeting and stretches. Walked through job scope with crews. Learned how to divide my day into meetings and field presence. Management was very easy to deal with. The owning company was very positive and tried to help get the job done in any way they could. Safety and productivity made for a very good work culture. The hardest part of the job was working the night shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was finishing on time and on budget.
Pros
Work area was very small.
Cons
Lots of alarms .
Excellent employer
PROJECT CONTROL / CHANGE MANAGEMENT LEAD - SITE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2018
Fair salary renumeration
Good benefits
Great management with some exemtions
Fast pace environment
Flexible work hours with every second Friday off
Work share with other Fluor offices to keep employment in hard times
Learning and advancement opportunities
Pros
training provided, excellent benefits
Cons
no security of work
No job security as the business largely depends on external factors
Senior Engineer - Instrumentation & Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2018
Great company with well established procedures and practices. Fun place to work with all the freedom. Scope for developing skill sets and grow. Gets challenging projects and delivers them to the extent possible. Had a global presence.
Pros
Technical database
Cons
Market dependent
Easy Hire/Easy fire
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
Fluor is/was a good company to work with, but as everyone knows it is famous as a easy hire and easy fire company.

The manager who has hire me told me specifically they will not lay off anyone from PM group, but they did!
similar to any oilfield company
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 March 2018
I didn't work for Fluor for all that long. Like any oilfield job, people are hired and laid off all the time. Working up north pays well, but it comes at a price. Two weeks away from the family can be hard.
Pros
pay
Cons
away
Stimulating company to work for.
Process Engineering Director I, Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2018
When on a project the days are full and fast paced.
I was able to hone my engineering supervision skills so I could lead various size teams. Technical career advancement is available for all.
The management is supportive, to the extent they can be.
The workplace culture is vibrant and participation is dependent on the individual. Most difficult part of the job was the uncertainty of continuing to win projects to remain employed. This was also the hardest part of the job. The variability of the tasks required to complete a project kept the position enjoyable.
Pros
Supportive culture
Cons
Instability and lack of job security.
best job i ever participated
electrician/fibre optics tech (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2018
Great place to work, respectful and good working environment. safety, was a positive experience, all you had to do was ask if you were stumped. always a greeting with a smile and an appreciation for your presence by my superintendent.
Pros
on hot days they provided an ice cream bar, mostly on Fridays.
Cons
Congested areas
descent industrial company
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 March 2018
direct supervision was very good. my personal foreman were intelligent and cooperative and gave you the information required to perform the tasks given.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor upper teir management
Great company to build a long term career at
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2018
Very pleasant and friendly work environment, to this day a majority of my friends are current or former Fluor employees. There is a ton of talent and expertise among the staff to draw on, although with the latest cutbacks that's been jeopardized. Overall great place to work at any stage in your career for different reasons. For a young engineer, you have plenty of mentors to learn from, mid career there are great opportunities to advance (when the economy is doing well) and late in the game they have fantastic benefits which lead to a comfortable retirement.
Pros
Great benefits, friendly work environment
Cons
Bit too much bureaucracy which hamstrings them from getting contracts
Productive and enjoyable job site
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 March 2018
I had a good time with Fluor over the past few years. The usual day in town would be waking up at 430, leaving for work, which started at 7. I'd get to site, put on all my necessary PPE and go meet with my crew for our tool box talk, and get get my daily task assigned to my apprentice and I. We Would write up our Pre work Plan and eliminate any hazards that was in our way of our task. We would work together throughout the day, helping one another out for our ten hour shifts. The hardest part about my job was being out of town, working in Fort Mcmurray, away from my friends and family. The culture was really good, because there were many people who were my age and very similar to me. The best part about my job was the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction about completing something properly.
Pressure Vessel Designer/ Drafter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 February 2018
Working in an EPCM Company is a fulfilling job. My role as a Vessel Designer/Drafter is to produce Pressure Vessel Drawings based on the Data Information from the Pressure Vessel Commodity Engineer. Most of the days are busy communicating with various project disciplines from the beginning to the end stage of the project. The management is always supportive throughout the project. The hardest part of the job is the last stage which is the detailing process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the completion stage.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Stressful
Enjoyed my work growing and career experience
Principal Document & Data Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2018
Excellent company to work for. Great experience and workplace environment. Close to home. Room for advancing your career. Benefits are great for families
productive fun workplace
Quality Assurance Lead (Current Employee) –  Imperial, SK22 February 2018
Flour has a reputation as being productive, quality of the workmanship is paramount, good people to work with, good safety culture,good wages and benefits,
Lack of know how.
First year crane apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 February 2018
Management was awful. If you didn’t know someone you didn’t last long at the job! Was all family and friends. Worked there for almost two years got fired over a new boss on a power trip!
Great people, good culture and direct management
HR Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2018
Unfortunately a short time but I was able to learn and expand my knowledge base. The company and my direct manager supported learning and work life balance.
Work.
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Red Water5 February 2018
Worked on projects throughout my career and was treated well with good rates and hours. Was treated well and was a well organized company. Worked outages and new construction.
Pros
Good management
Project Information Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2018
I have an amazing manager, so I have no complaints
good pay
corporate office different culture then field.
your manager and dept have a big affect on your job, fortunately for me it was positive
Pros
good pay
Cons
advancement is slow
Company has an excellent Safety culture and recognizes thier employees hard work.
4th Year Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2018
The jobsite is a fast paced environment with many working parts. Safety is a main priority. Management is down to earth with us workers. As a tradesman, I found the morale to be positive and there was no hitches in our schedules and pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fluor Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2