Fluor Corp. Employee Reviews

Well laid out office and lunchroom complex
General Superintendent (Former Employee) –  NWR, Redwarer Alberta9 July 2018
Had great upper management, planning group and skilled support staff. Every work day started with a Safety/ tool box talk and stretches. Days were filled with planning, schedule, material update, execution and progress meetings. Hardest part of this job was working around material shortages and the most enjoyable part was being a part of the professional group of trades people that executed a safe and well built project.
Pros
Project was close to home
Cons
Large EPC company. Good Benefits and Pay. Under appreciated.
Document Control Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2018
Fluor is a large company and being a large company you tend to get lost. You aren't appreciated as much as you would be in a smaller company. Especially when work is slow you are just a number, doesn't matter your situation, just how much money they are willing to spend on you. However the years I have worked here have been prosperous. Good pay and benefits! But once they don't need you you are gone no matter what you did for them.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Flexible work schedule
Cons
You are just a number, no appreciation
World class EPC company
Material Planning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 July 2018
A proud employee of the Fluor procurement department for 10+ years. I worked in the Calgary home office and throughout the world on various assignments. The most rewarding job of my life!
Pros
Travelling the world
Cons
Being away from family
Friednly Enviroment
Senior Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Canada, Vancouver and Kazakhstan, Atryau30 June 2018
Multicultural environment, challenges at work, learnt about new culture, was able to teach colleagues on my hobby - photography during my spare time. Supportive from management during the hardest time of the workload.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
nothing to add
An amazing company to work for
Document Management (Former Employee) –  alberta19 June 2018
Loved the role with this company, always challenging, and allowed individuals to keep learning on the job. Job changes with each project, so variety.
Pros
good people to work with, opportunities to work away
Cons
follows oil prices so when low, lay offs occur
New Tech
Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 June 2018
At Fluor, you can use new tech or advanced theory in your engineering practices to solve engineering problem, to inprove working efficiency and save costs for clients.
Engineering based and knowledge
Material handling Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 May 2018
great area for learning and improvement
very big projects
multi discipline area
engineering procurement construction area
good colleagues
great online university
Excellent team oriented work place .
Journeyman Scaffolder/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills Alberta8 May 2018
A very safety team oriented place to work there .We would start our day with a short safety meeting , centered around what our task hazards would be . The management was excellent , they were truly concerned for our well being centered on our job safety and in general well-being .
Journeyman Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 May 2018
This was a union job which made things frustrating at times. Employees were easy going most of the time. Long days and even longer commute. Management was decent.
Cons
long hours and commute
FLUOR is the best practiced EPCM Company
Piping Materials Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Canada24 April 2018
I am really proud that I had the opportunity to work in FLUOR Canada Ltd. which is my 1st EP house job after almost 10 years of my career as Mechanical Engineer in operation supports of Hydrocarbon Processing/Petrochemical industry. I learned a lot from FLUOR which has tremendous resources, engineering/technical practices and guideline, research papers etc available through FLUOR knowledge online. Working Environment is excellent. I would work for FLUOR again....
Nepotism by Another Name
Area Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 April 2018
IF you are willing to sacrifice family, lifestyle and everything else but the company, and put in long hours just for the sake of putting in long hours, have I got a company for you.
If you don't start with them right out of university you are 10 steps behind, and will never advance beyond roughly where you started.
If you are one of the golden ones, part of the High Potential, or various other "top secret" advancement programs, you can be set for life by 40 if you have the right image, and have sacrificed everything else, i.e. sent around the world on single status despite having a family etc...
Great Employer
General Foreman - Kearl Oilsands, Fort McMurray (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 April 2018
Pay was always on time and correct. Management was second to none. Positive place to be. No issues whatsoever with them as an employer. I had a great experience all in all.
Great company to work with
Senior Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2018
Every work day was very exciting and challenging. The management group is very good and knowledgeable. The workplace was excellent, I had learned a lot during that short time.
a job
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB6 April 2018
As an electrician and boom truck operator, after I proved myself to be safety aware and self motivated, I was handed jobs that needed to be done and then left alone. On occasion I did have a few people observing however they stayed away and headed my safety concerns.
Overall a great company to work for
General Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB5 April 2018
Started out the day with safety meeting and stretches. Walked through job scope with crews. Learned how to divide my day into meetings and field presence. Management was very easy to deal with. The owning company was very positive and tried to help get the job done in any way they could. Safety and productivity made for a very good work culture. The hardest part of the job was working the night shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was finishing on time and on budget.
Pros
Work area was very small.
Cons
Lots of alarms .
Excellent employer
PROJECT CONTROL / CHANGE MANAGEMENT LEAD - SITE (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2018
Fair salary renumeration
Good benefits
Great management with some exemtions
Fast pace environment
Flexible work hours with every second Friday off
Work share with other Fluor offices to keep employment in hard times
Learning and advancement opportunities
Pros
training provided, excellent benefits
Cons
no security of work
No job security as the business largely depends on external factors
Senior Engineer - Instrumentation & Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2018
Great company with well established procedures and practices. Fun place to work with all the freedom. Scope for developing skill sets and grow. Gets challenging projects and delivers them to the extent possible. Had a global presence.
Pros
Technical database
Cons
Market dependent
Easy Hire/Easy fire
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 March 2018
Fluor is/was a good company to work with, but as everyone knows it is famous as a easy hire and easy fire company.

The manager who has hire me told me specifically they will not lay off anyone from PM group, but they did!
similar to any oilfield company
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 March 2018
I didn't work for Fluor for all that long. Like any oilfield job, people are hired and laid off all the time. Working up north pays well, but it comes at a price. Two weeks away from the family can be hard.
Pros
pay
Cons
away
Stimulating company to work for.
Process Engineering Director I, Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2018
When on a project the days are full and fast paced.
I was able to hone my engineering supervision skills so I could lead various size teams. Technical career advancement is available for all.
The management is supportive, to the extent they can be.
The workplace culture is vibrant and participation is dependent on the individual. Most difficult part of the job was the uncertainty of continuing to win projects to remain employed. This was also the hardest part of the job. The variability of the tasks required to complete a project kept the position enjoyable.
Pros
Supportive culture
Cons
Instability and lack of job security.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fluor Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2