Fluid Life

Fluid Life Work-life balance reviews

I personally like working at Fluid Life. Does it have some downfalls? Of course. What company is perfect? Overall though the company is a good company to work for. Compensation and benefits are good. I get a lot of value and use out of my benefits. I've seen some reviews on here that state you are not well compensated for the work you are expected to do. I'm not going to lie, the lab is busy but it is not gruelling hard labour. Being busy is not a bad thing. Business creates jobs. If you are prepared to work hard, work as a team and learn as much as you can about this industry, then there are opportunities to advance. The management I am in contact with on a regular basis do care about the employees. They are accommodating when needed so that we do have work life balance and that is why I am saying is is relaxed in some ways. If you have worked in a lab that runs 5 samples a day and prefer that environment than this is not the lab for you. But if you would like to be busy during your day, to gain valuable lab experience, learn a lot about this industry than I would definitely apply!
I find this to be a fun place to work at times but still have a job to be done. Friendly place to work, lots of things to learn. Company provides a ton of great perks that i haven't seen anywhere else.
Absolute nightmare of a company. Bad culture. Very political. No opportunities for growth. The 5 star ratings are a joke and have to be fake. Sick environment.
I worked in the lab for several years. Small company with approachable management. There was a lot of variety in the lab and i gained a ton of experience. Everyone in the company was great to work with.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Only three locations
Culture is work hard, play hard. We have all the perks: fancy beverage station, bistro style lunchroom with TV, private gym area with change rooms and roof top patio where we have company wide BBQs. Office is modern, equipment is new, lots of windows. Hardest part of the job is keeping up with the technology. Since I have been working here I have seen growth in the number of awesome people on the team. We have Canada and US locations. The Company strives to keep good employees happy. Workplace environment is positive and positively enforced through compensation.
Pros
Flexible, open door policy at all levels, open to new ideas, generous compensation
Cons
Almost out of the City - far if you live North
Pros They only hire people with 0-little experience so easy to get hired right out of school. Lunch is sometimes bought to buy time when the entire lab wants to quit, so if you like free food but no change in work lifestyle that’s a pro. Upper management seems to know how to run the business side of things. Cons Pay is terrible for the amount of work you are expected to do. Raises are promised and then not given. Training opportunities are provided, but are not followed through on. If you are good at your job they will keep piling on responsibilities with no extra compensation or incentives. If you are terrible at your job they will take away responsibilities until you are doing the bare minimum but still getting paid the same as everyone else (actually maybe this is a pro....) Huge rate of turnover. Always new people training, never get to a level where everyone is trained. Disconnect between sales and the lab, no one seems to be able to decide on responsibility and work is shifted back and forth between the departments. Lab level management is abysmal. They don’t know how to work with or deal with human individuals on a daily basis. Can run all over them, but watch your back because there is a lot of ‘blame’ mentality. Advice to Management Hire lab management that have strong people skills and aren’t afraid to actually manage. There needs to be a balance in management with social and technical skills. Pay people more and give incentives to those who perform well
Be prepared to be doing the same thing for a while. I did basically the same thing for months. There is some variety if you stay there for several years but it is very unlikely that you will move up. Most of the lab staff are very nice though. Fluid Life does not have WCB coverage which was something that I found out the hard way.