Flatiron Construction Corp Employee Reviews

Great
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2018
FLATIRON was a great life experience. Long hours but a great place to work. Everyone around was willing to teach newer people. Room for advancement is there if you want it.
Pros
Great team
Benefits good
Document Control Manager/Regional Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2018
Flatiron has great benefits however the company working culture is not what is claimed. Expectations are to work longer hours, work overload, and a lack of support for individuals. The new HR department does not help. In the past 5 - 6 years the culture changed with the new Head Office. The people you work with on a project team or office are great, it is upper management that have a lack of respect for those working for them.
Bonus and wage are based not on your annual rating but by what category you are in so if you do extra work, etc. it is not recognized in the bonus or annual raises now.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of support, work overload, upper management
Great Company
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2018
I had a good run with Flatiron. Everyone was very professional, and had plenty of knowledge among the people on site. They look after the guys/girls with all concerns on the job site.
Good compagni love them
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 November 2018
Real good place to work good Forman good communication good teamwork wage good good equipment always someone to help if you need it they are grateful of there employee
Pros
Camp
Cons
Hard work place and environment
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2018
Big project released in the city. It was a joint venture where Flatiron had the major part. Focused on safety (public and workers). Worked in crews, generally bad managed.
Pros
competitive salary wages
Productive workplace
Crawler operator an Rt (Former Employee) –  CNRL12 August 2018
Treated me very fairly, gave me lots of experience on new equipment. I would love to work for them again. They paid us very well an always kept great lines of communication.
Pros
4.00 retension bonuse, lots of swag, great crews.
ILM project
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Graham, MB12 April 2018
Special heli excavation crew for bc hydro towers. Coquitlam to Boston bar.
End of project approximately two years.
Special experience and knowledge of terrain and work on your own.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Union wages
Good Safe Environment to Work in
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2018
Flatiron is the company the i loved the most of all the construction job i had so far because that is were i learned the most about construction. I started operating equipment there and i loved it. Since then i oriented my career toward operating heavy equipment because i found that it was something that i was good at! The most enjoyable part of that job would be the team we manage to put together. We had a handful of really competent construction workers which made the job so enjoyable, i am still friend with most of them to this day!
Pros
really good money for in town job
Cons
Long hours but i like that
Long Hours, Poorly Organized
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB26 February 2018
Project was poorly organized. I had lots of hours, but work so weather-dependent that it was difficult to plan time off. Foremans were supportive and friendly.
Pros
fair wage and good benefits
Cons
weather dependent work
great company
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 February 2018
while working for flat iron I really learned a lot about the industry. such as safety how to run different equipment and what it really means to be part of a team.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
ran out of work
Good people to work with
Construction Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 November 2017
A typical day for construction, the management wasn't very nice or helpful and very unorganized. Hardest part of the job for me was the long 14 to 16 hr shifts.
Unorganized, no safety culture, dirty work sites
Crane operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2017
Worked for them for a year straight on the Henday before I quit. Production comes before safety, you're your own safety here. Seen multiple workers suffering from frost bite and being told they can't stop working. Most rigging conditions was substandard, training of newly signed crane apprentices was dangerous and non existent. RTs owned by flatiron were in terrible condition, including broken floats, dangerous cable conditions, no crane and hoist safe working procedures shared with crews.
Pros
Okay wage
Cons
Lack of management, unknown hours, no visible safety program and undermining concerns
good emphasis on safety
Foreman/Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC2 October 2017
Working for Flatiron has been a great experience, they have a great emphasis on safety which greatly increases work ethic. The hardest part of the job has been spending a lot of time at work and not much time with family.
Very Fun Place to work
Health and Safety Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2017
Very nice place to work, helpful co-workers, excellent place to start your career. Always something to learn about. I used to have very good time while working with them, working, learning and fun at the same time.
Pros
free lunch meetings
Cons
long working hours sometime
Fun environment and hard working people
Laborer/ Flagger/ Environmental (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2017
fun day
communication is the key
friendly
help each other
not communication well
get to see your team

it was a great project and im glad im part of it
it will always be a reminder of good spirit and good people
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
no life
Positive work environment
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2017
The carpentry crew I worked with was very respectful and focused on getting the task at hand done. Doing it safely as well. Also, was very patient when training me, a green horn in the field.
Pros
$22/hr, working outside
Cons
exhaustion, wear/tear on body, working outside
Got to meet alot of great people.
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2017
Started as a labourer building MSE walls and was offered a position to work with QC scooped up the position and was able to learn lots more. Very thankful for those who taught me everything I now know in construction, I'm a hands on learner and couldn't have done it without them
Great place to work`
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 May 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Flatiron. Unfortunately, with no more jobs in Alberta, I had to leave. I have never been more upset to leave a job. Management is great so long as you be yourself and you are honest. Some of the staff from partner companies were very difficult, and the fact that they are not employed by Flatiron makes reporting any incidents difficult.

You have a lot of opportunities to progress at Flatiron so long as there are jobs or you are willing to relocate. I learnt a lot from my time there.
Pros
Laid back office, lots of opportunities to expand your skills
Cons
Work is not guaranteed unless you are in head office.
A good place to move forward
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB27 April 2017
Flatiron was a good place to work for, for the most part. It has its pros & cons. A lot of the people you work with were awesome, & made work more enjoyable, & a place you actually liked working at.
Two weeks on and one off
Field EHS Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 March 2017
I enjoyed working with the work force at Flatiron. Pay scale was very good and Flatiron provided a company vehicle for transportation to and from work.
Pros
Good wages and benefits
Cons
!4 day stretch was long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flatiron Construction Corp. Our community is ready to answer.