Flanagan Foodservice Inc.

Flanagan Foodservice Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews
Great place to work, just too bad Covid hit the industry. Family run and family values with good work life balance. Fast paced and tough industry but provided superior customer service to rise above the rest.
Pros
Family Run and Values
Cons
Tough Industry/ Covid Impact
I have enjoyed my time here. Positive and open culture. Management is available to listen and open to ideas. Co workers get along and helped me when first starting out. Benefits are competitive.
Pros
Culture, pay, co workers, benefits
Cons
I spent 3 years inside the flanagan bubble in that time I learned that regardless of what hoops you jump through and sacrifices you make to help this company be successful their memory is short.
I found the company has always been disorganized and reactive, there is no planning and the company will not invest in such nonsense either. Your direct supervisor doesn’t have a clue about the job nor does he want to learn it, in fact if they can avoid it they will. They have 3 supervisors and they can’t even communicate amongst themselves nor are they really available to their drivers. It’s pathetic. Now I may sound disgruntled but I’ll tell you I’m not I’m brutally honest and I wouldn’t say something here I wouldn’t say to them in fact I did. If you follow them on indeed you will see they are always hiring and their compensation package is all over the map and thats exactly how it is when you sign on. There is no uniform although it’s in the employment contract, there is no boot allowance, PPE is a after thought you as a driver are a after thought. You’ll expire and they will move on, they say they are a family oriented company this is only true if you consider Flanagan your family. Now if you’re looking for a place to l learn your craft, it’s a place where you can do that but remember your safety is your responsibility, If you get hurt it’s a feat to even get help out to you. Beware and Good luck.
18 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We have spoken to the leaders to understand your concerns better in context and are working together to find opportunities to improve where appropriate. The health and safety of our employees and the food safety for our customers are our top priorities at Flanagan’s. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry that you had a negative experience with us. If comfortable doing so, please feel free to reach out to HR@flanagan.ca to set up a time to discuss your experience with us further. The Human Resources Team.
A very fast paced environment, dealing with multiple customers in a day as well as Sales Staff, Credit Staff, Purchasing Staff, Operational Staff. Need to make decisions quickly and be a great problem solver. Need to be patient and friendly and willing to go above and beyond for the customer!
Overall, Flanagan Foodservice is an easy going place to work. Although, one area of improvement is that it lags in terms of internal processes and visibility on how the market is trending.
I think working at Flanagan's is the best driving job i have ever done. Aside from driving a proper sized trailer that is. There are some pitfalls though..... A couple interesting character's to say the least. All in all it brings me back to high school. What a time
As a delivery driver helper, your responsibilities will be to empty the truck of product with a hand-truck alongside the truck driver. You're encouraged to work at a fast-pace when delivering as you'll have significant down-time between delivery locations depending on your route. You'll get the chance to work with several truck drivers who all apreciate a hard-working helper. A lot of their customers offer food and drinks which is nice if you don't pack a lunch. I started with 4-5 shifts a week but always tried to get a 6th because I was looking for overtime. Local runs would be around 8-9 where the non-local runs could be 10-12 hours. typically, you'd get a half-hour lunch and i believe 2-15's but it's at the discretion of the driver. Sometimes they'll ask if you'd like to pick-up shifts which is great if you're just interested in working as much as you possibly could.

TL:DR Overall, I enjoyed working here over the summer. You'll get along with all the drivers, you'll get your hours and then some, and you'll get a good workout along with a great paycheck and fresh air.
As above long days physically demanding good pay good benefits profit sharing Recreation club Christmas club share buying available personal days Christmas party ability to access products from warehouse at discount prices
I am a Core Delivery Driver. Love it!
I wish I started this job 20 yrs ago!

- It's very physical work which is one of the reasons I wanted to work here. It took a year or so to feel comfortable physically but now that aspect of the job is easy! I'm 57 and in the best shape of my life!

- The camaraderie with the other drivers and employees is great! We have several delivery drivers who've been here for 15, 20, 25 and 30 years! How many places can boast about that!

- The management is very fair...the best I've ever worked for and really appreciate the workers contributions.

- I really enjoy customer service part of the job and dealing with the customer and/or receivers, we always have a good laugh.

- the benefits offered by Flanagan's are top class and seriously too numerous to mention here. You will be blown away, I certainly was!

When I get to the end of my day it's very gratifying. You start out with a full truck load of 500 to 900 pieces and you touch every piece. You punch out feeling satisfied that you've accomplished a good days work.

If the things I've mentioned above is aligned with what you are looking for in a career then you are very lucky you found us!
Flanagan food service is a Canadian and home grown company. As we build there is still a small company feel that makes you feel welcome, and feel like you can contribute to the betterment of the operation. Pay and benefits program is in my opinion fair
Flanagan Foodservice is a diamond in the rough kind of company. There are a few bumps and bruises, but overall the company is AMAZING! The people and managers are encouraging and supportive from every angle. I enjoy coming to work everyday, my job challenges me and I get to work with some pretty incredible people. In my time here, I have made so many unexpected relationships/friendships and I wouldnt change anything in the world. A company is more than just good benefits and good pay - you want a good culture to work in and Flanagan's is just that.
13 March 2020
We're thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your experience and feel supported the culture here at Flanagan's. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!
This place is not a great place to work at all the management team they suck they are very unprofessional very incompetent as for their vacation their vacation schedule sucks that way they have it now I'll never be able to get a vacation any time soon.
13 March 2020
The feedback of our employees is important to us. We monitor our reviews closely. We have shared your concerns internally and encourage you to share the specifics of your concerns with your manager and/or the HR representative at your location.
The culture at Flanagan's is great with many opportunities for growth. I have been employed with the company for a long time and very much appreciate the benefits and the wonderful team I work with. The company lives by its values and puts employees first. I love the fast-paced environment! The company is always in growth mode which presents interesting challenges to solve and makes for a quick workday!
13 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback, as well as your years of service and contributions to the growth at Flanagan's! We are thrilled to hear that you see our values being lived out in our organization. We will share your comments internally.
Forget this recruitment ad. Flanagan doesn’t care about drivers. Pay totally sucks for what’s expected from you. Try to make management aware of bad business practices...they don’t care. Drivers are expendable. Now they’re hiring Owner/Operators to take over routes that longtime employees have had. Customers are being shortchanged b/c of this. Faulty trucks and trailers? They don’t care...keep driving. Horrible equipment which have caused severe injuries? They don’t care and won’t replace it. MTO would have a field day with this Company if they were ever reported (perhaps they should be!!!) Total disregard of the well-being of drivers. Oh plz Flanagan...tell me how you’re going to “look into this!!!” You’re Company is a joke. Family Ski trips to Alberta...and the beaches of Cuba...let’s not forget Summers on the East Coast eating Lobster for weeks...only to write off all these trips on the Company's dime..even though a bunch of ppl you take with you on these trips arent even a part of the Company. How do you think your employees would feel if they knew this?? They didn’t get any Christmas Party for the last 2 years. (and no 12 lb. Christmas turkeys for them either.) But I guess Cuba was nice!!! Do they serve Turkey and Cranberry Sauce down there for Christmas??? Stay far, far away.
As a driver you are the face of the company and yet they treat you like a pile of s*** it no wonder they can't get driver's they only worry about getting the next guy in and not keeping the ones they got this place is at a all time low and I am sad to see all the hard work the drivers put in is never never appreciated
10 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We monitor these reviews weekly because our employee’s feedback is very important to us. We take comments of this nature very seriously and will share it with our leaders internally. We encourage you to share the specifics of your concerns with your manager and/or your HR representative at your location.
Fast-paced environment with a variety of challenges. Friendly staff, decent management. Salary was average, fringe benefits were a plus though. Overall, middle of the road kind of place to work.
Pros
Free coffee
20 January 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for your service at Flanagan's. We monitor the reviews on Indeed regularly, looking for opportunities to improve where possible, and we will share your feedback internally. We wish you all the best!
In my opinion, Flanagan is a great company to work for. It has grown so much over the years, and while for some this might be a little scary, for those who love to be a part of a group of people who want to make a difference and watch a company grow, this is the place for you. While not all jobs are created equal, the job that I perform is very fulfilling and I look forward to coming in each day. No day is the same - some will be super busy and full of challenges while others will offer opportunities to catch up or participate in projects that promote positive change. I have the pleasure to touch base with almost every department and while, yes, some departments are more challenged than others due to a variety of variables, looking at the big picture Flanagan is above and beyond any company I have worked for in the past (and I have worked for some great companies). Not everyone will be happy as no two people are the same, however if you have a positive attitude, have a drive to work hard (in no matter what position you do), have a vested interest in participating in helping the company grow, and want to be part of a TEAM, then I highly recommend Flanagan Foodservice!
20 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience with Flanagan’s. We definitely agree that, along with the right attitude and passion, you can definitely make an impact here. We appreciate your service and thank you for your contributions to our growth as a company!
On average you can find a driving job in our are for 25 dollars an hour... sit on your butt for 10 hours and go home...

With flanagan's you get a couple bucks more but is it worth it to hand bomb the entire trailer and bust your butt for 12 hours? At the end of the week you have an extra 60 bucks on your pay... Is it worth it??? Maybe ten years ago when drivers were paid 10 bucks an hour....
9 January 2020
Our drivers are some of the best in industry because they take pride in customer service and, each day, go above and beyond, physically and mentally, to meet the demands of a unique industry. The feedback of our employees is important to us and we thank you for taking the time to provide this information, as well as for your service at Flanagan’s. We are always looking for opportunities to improve and this feedback will be shared with our leaders in our ongoing efforts to do the best we can for our drivers.
If you are okay with waking up very early the morning and making deliveries, then Flanagans would be for you. The truck drivers have good relationships and are quick to lend a hand to one another
22 October 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience with Flanagan’s. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time with us!
Flanagan Foodservice is a fantastic company with a family oriented culture! Flanagan's is growing at a rapid pace so it is an exciting time to be part of the company. Lots of great learning opportunities to grow and challenge yourself. Great work/life balance and talented people to work with. I would highly recommend working for Flanagan Foodservice.
22 October 2019
Thank you for your feedback! Building a positive workplace culture for our employees where they can grow and be challenged is very important to us. We're glad you're enjoying working with us and we will share your comments internally.
Other branches are okay, Sudbury branch is lacking in communication and management skills. You need to make decisions and those decisions will be wrong because you aren’t aware of the full picture. Forget teamwork, lots of cross-shifts due to “seat of your pants” management. You are not allowed to be proactive but work for the moment. If you can get dayshift, you are treated excellent. Any other shift or department and you will need to change everything to accommodate the dayshift.

Bottom dollar is the only thing they can see, culture used to be very good but turned corporate very fast where you’re just a number.

Drivers treated like gold because they are hard to come by, so expect babies and learn to cater to them.
Pros
Xmas party (no wait, cancelled). Turkey for xmas (no wait, cancelled), co-workers, free food off damage skid.
Cons
No more family but now corporate. Be prepared for unfairness, being lied to, and stress.
21 October 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We have spoken to the leaders to understand your concerns better in context and are working together to find opportunities to improve where appropriate. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry that you had a negative experience with us. If comfortable doing so, please feel free to reach out to HR@flanagan.ca to set up a time to discuss your experience with us further. The Human Resources Team.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flanagan Foodservice Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.