Fitness on the Go

Fitness on the Go Employee Reviews

Your goals are all that matters!

The General Managers only focus is to get YOU to reach YOUR goals as a trainer. I've been supported at every turn. My GM would usually reach out and give me the aid I needed before I even knew I needed it. They stay on top of you and your business in the beginning but as you show strength and independence you are let out from under them. I cant stress enough how important the coaching and mentor ship was to me as a human being.

Pros

Freedome of schedule, Work as hard as you want

Cons

Its up to you to make your success

Not worth your investment.

As a personal trainer, Fitness on the Go was a great fit but after reaching the top in the company and after the company made significant changes, it was no longer worth my time or investment.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Not enough money for the amount of work required

You're more of a salesman than a trainer

The coaching you receive is to improve your marketing skills; you can spend years at this company and never improve as a trainer. FOTG focus mainly on how to be a profitable trainer instead of being a quality one. They charge relatively high prices per session while the trainers receive additional coaching about selling better than how to get a client results. You pay them $420 per month + 20% cut off clients from personal leads + 50% cut off clients from company leads. Essentially you could be making $2000-$2500 and the company would pocket close to 40% of that. This is REGARDLESS of if they provide you with quality leads or coaching that can benefit you as a trainer.If you're in the fitness industry solely to make money and provide a living, then FOTG is a great place for you to work. If you're in the fitness industry to help people and that is the priority then there is no need to work here!

Pros

Learn about marketability better

Cons

huge pay cutt, money hungry company, not client focused

Not what it seems...

You are not really employed by Fitness on the Go. You are your own business. YOU pay Fitness on the Go $400/month for marketing and leads. For each client lead, you only get to keep 50% of the profit. AND you have to pay the $400/month. You need about 20 to 30 clients to pay off $400/month to break even, which is ridiculous. There are other PT under Fitness on the Go whom you will be competing for business. You are better off branding yourself, build your own website for $50/month, hire VA from Fiver or Outsource cheaply, and get your own clients, and keep 100% of the profit to yourself. This will save you $400/month for Fitness on the Go brand.

Pros

Marketing done for you

Cons

Pricey @ $400 / month and 50% of the profit to keep from each lead.

Two thumbs up

An incredible place to work. The amount of training, a great majority facilitated by the President herself has been such a game changer for my career. The business model and compensation plan is highly competitive and very favorable in the fitness industry. Any trainer looking to grow themselves personally and in career look no further! Btw the GM for the GTA area such a boss. ogolden of

Pros

The pay structure, the training, the community, the client centered approach, call centre

Cons

Nothing I swear

Fitness on the go was a wonderful welcome

I just moved to Vancouver and was fortunate to join FOTG. The business coaching is amazing. Every aspect of their process is about having the trainer succeed. They work with you, and make sure to leave you feeling accomplished every time you have a coaching call. The atmosphere is wonderful, everyone has been nice and easy going. The president of the company is as top tier as anyone could hope For.

Caring culture with opportunities for growth!

Fitness on the Go is an awesome place to work. My GM is open to my ideas and suggestions. Clients are top priority. Previously I worked in a gym and was pushed to make sales. I wasn't strong at closing so they let me go. At Fitness on the Go, I am pushed to be a better trainer and deliver great service. This approach fits with my philosophy. I am so happy I was selected for the team!

Great company with great culture.

Working at Fitness on the Go was an overall great experience. You feel welcomed by everyone in YOUR team and everyone is willing to help you get up to speed with the rest on of the the trainers and coach you on best practices to grow your business.

Pros

Freedom to manage your business and hours as you please. Hourly pay rate more competitive than gyms.

Cons

High membership fee, payment processing fee, advertising fee. Commute can be excessive, especially starting.

If you're serious about your fitness career this is a no brainer

Fitness on the Go gives you clients, does your billing and helps with your taxes. I gave them my availability and they booked my consults. I spend my time training clients. What more does an independent training want?

Pros

clients, freedom, great pay

Cons

early mornings, driving

Financially Stable, Awesome Culture, Amazing Clients!

I have working in the fitness industry for over 25 years. I started in a big box gym and let me tell you it was brutal. I worked long hours was paid very little and the atmosphere was high pressured sales. After a number of years of trying boutique studios and other gyms, I decided to go the independent route. I spent a ton on a website and business cards to market myself and quickly realized I was spending all of my time on business activities versus training clients. I was exhausted, defeated and broke. I applied for Fitness on the Go about 4 years ago but decided not to come onboard because I didn't want to invest any more money. I was already in debt and failing on my own. I wish I would have trusted their processes and joined back then. Instead I struggled on my own for another 2 years before deciding I needed their help. About two years ago I decided to join fotg and it was the best decision I have EVER made for my career. I wish I would have been doing this all along. I am part of a team that cares about my success. My manager is focused on supporting me to reach my goals and she cares so much about my clients, their success and how I can best support them. It is awesome. I make fantastic money, choose my own hours and am even looking at purchasing a franchise. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND FITNESS ON THE GO TO ANYONE WHO IS SERIOUS ABOUT HAVING A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN THE FITNESS INDUSTRY!! If you are on the fence, just ask to speak with one of the current team members. I would gladly share my experience with anyone trying to decide if this is the right fit.

Pros

Supportive manager, create my own schedule, flexible hours and time off, amazing clients - working in home is so different then a gym!

Cons

Scary to make the leap. A bit slow in the beginning. Traffic can be a pain.

21 June 2019
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! We get it; it’s hard to stay motivated in any career when you aren’t seeing results from the effort you put in. We’re glad you finally took the leap and joined our team! Traffic in Vancouver can definitely be a pain, especially in rush hour. Did you know that our top trainers listen to podcasts and audiobooks when travelling? It helps pass the time AND you can learn something new to apply to your business! Talk about two birds with one stone. Your dedication and resilience is a value which we admire and we are lucky to have you on our team. Congratulations on your well-deserved success!

The Support I Needed!

I’ve worked for Fitness on the Go part-time for quite a while. I was always scared to take the leap from a steady bi-weekly pay cheque working as a receptionist. With some encouragement and reassurance I quit my unsatisfying desk job to pursue being a Personal Trainer full time and I couldn’t be any happier. Fitness on the Go gives you the tools you need to grow your business and they are always there to answer any questions. I get to create my own schedule, working as much or as little as I want. I have constant support with weekly meetings with my GM and monthly team meetings. If you are looking for a flexible and supportive company I’d highly recommend Fitness on the Go!

Pros

Flexible schedule, support from a mentor

21 June 2019
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! Desk jobs definitely aren’t for everyone, especially when you have a passion for fitness. Congratulations on taking the leap! We are ecstatic to know that you have found success with the Fitness on the Go model and are able to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Fun place

Receiving calls etc. A lot about fitness on the go. boss was great. In a closed off room with a bunch of fitness balls. Hardest part was keeping up with everyday tasks

21 June 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to know that you found our workplace fun (we sure love our fitness puns)! We are constantly seeking to improve our efficiency; we would be happy to speak with you directly regarding everyday tasks.

Great place to work!

I am so grateful for finding Fitness on the Go. I was struggling to pay my bills and needing to go back to working in an office when I started. My gm understood my financial constraints and worked with me to quickly gain clients. They were so accommodating and encouraged me not to give up. Now I am doing it full time!

Pros

my own schedule - excellent coach - supportive environment - pay is fantastic

Cons

it is scary when you start!

21 June 2019
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit your feedback and share your experience! It is very intimidating and scary to jump in with both feet, but we are thrilled that you stayed resilient and ultimately found success with the Fitness on the Go. Congratulations on successfully leaving your office job to follow your passion!

Not for me

You pay a high monthly fee for them to market you and coach you. I was told by the hiring manager who had contacted me that they would show me a breakdown of exactly how that monthly fee is getting used to market and where the money is going. When I asked for the breakdown I was told NO. I received no breakdown and I received no coaching other then for the first 2 weeks. It does not just stop there. I was lied to by the hiring manager more then once to get me to sign up. When I had confronted the team about this, I was ignored. They do care about the trainers or the clients. There are many other times where I have dealt with their negligence. It felt like this is set up like a pyramid scheme. I feel like in this industry you need to genuinely care about people. This was not the company for me.

Pros

Change people's lives

Cons

Unprofessional company

21 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are disappointed to hear that our model did not work for you and that you feel we were dishonest in our approach. We recognize that the demands of working at a rapid-growth org like ours is high, and that we don’t always get things right along the way. Failure (and learning from that failure) is part of the journey, and trust that we're constantly growing based on experience. Your post has prompted further conversations within our executive team to ensure our commitment to putting clients and trainers first is genuinely felt at all levels of our organization. If you are comfortable, we would welcome a conversation with you directly to talk more. We hope you will give us a chance to change your mind.

super supportive coaching and culture!

I started my pt career with fitness on the go. I thought i could do it on my own but quickly realized how difficult it was to be independent. Fitness on the Go is the ONLY reason I found success in this industry. My coach is awesome! She taught me strategies to become the fitness expert in my town. The culture is super supportive and they've never pushed me to sell. Now I have a full schedule, take a month off in the summer and 2 weeks at christmas. I'm even starting to mentor new trainers and hope to become a franchisee soon!

Pros

make my own schedule, tons of leads, great coach and team, love training clients in home, opportunities to grow my career!

Cons

if you don't put the work in, you wouldn't see results. They don't build your business for you.

21 June 2019
Thank you for sharing your experience! We couldn’t agree more; setting your own schedule is AWESOME! We also understand the time and dedication it takes to build up your business and are thrilled to see that you found such great success with our model. You know what they say; work hard, play hard! Please let us know how we can support you in realizing your franchisee goals. In the meantime, keep up the great work!

they don't pay you or get you clients

In case you are planning to apply for a position here, you should know that you're applying to pay them to coach you to get your own clients, meaning that they won't give you any clients to train. You pay them 400$ per month, regardless of how successful/unsuccessful their coaching strategies are. The fact that their job posting is misleading, and not mentioning that they are only there to coach you, and charge you for it, should tell you all you need to know about the company

21 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are saddened to hear that our posting landed as misleading for you. Our mission is to provide the best possible platform for trainers to operate their own small business. Although we are not a lead generation company, we do provide our trainers with clients in addition to coaching. If this is helpful clarification for you, we would welcome the opportunity to talk further about future opportunities to work together. Regardless, we thank you for giving us important feedback to help us to grow and we wish you all the best with your career!

The only way to succeed as an independent Personal Trainer

I struggled with my own personal training business for years and was about to leave the industry when I started with Fitness on the Go. My manager taught me so many things I hadn't ever thought of and within 6 months I was helping more clients reach their goals than in 5 years of trying by myself. I am SO grateful to be on the team!

Pros

Make my own schedule, great pay, supportive team and management

Cons

Driving

21 June 2019
First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so grateful to have you! We are thrilled to hear that you are now able to help so many clients reach their goals. Driving seems to be a common con. Thank you for the feedback. Cons are often opportunities for us to grow. HQ will have to get creative on this one. In the meantime, try listening to a podcast or audiobook to help pass the time.

You make what you put into it

A typical day - Training a few hours a day, Driving a lot more hours of the day, hours marketing and find new inventive ways to get client leads. What I learned - how to market myself in a specific way to certain clientele. Management - AWESOME management team, always there to help and bounce ideas off of. Hardest Part of the job - getting out there and meeting people and setting up connections. The most enjoyable part of the job - helping make a change in the lives of the people you work with.

21 June 2019
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! We would like to apologize for the delay in responding. We agree! The driving time can add up. Our top trainers recommend listening to a podcast or audio book to help pass the time productively. We are ecstatic that you found value in the Fitness on the Go model, and have cultivated a successful business doing what you love! Keep up the good work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fitness on the Go. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0Job security/advancement