Fisheries And Oceans Canada Employee Reviews

Good
AS-01 Administrative Officer / Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  200 Kent4 December 2019
It was a good place to work at. Sad that my term has ended. I would definitely recommend anyone who needs the experience in finance or admin to look into it.
Poor Living conditions, No support, Little regard for safety
Maintenance Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Pinkut Creek4 October 2019
the pacific salmonoid group is a very unorganized group who are not concerned with their employees heath and safety and are not very welcoming and very unsupportive.
Productive place to work with a friendly work environment
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 September 2019
A great place to work with many friendly and diverse people. The diversity of scientists and the work being done to protect the environment is a great bonus.
Amazing
Aquatic Science Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  St. Andrews, NB22 August 2019
Amazing people and work environment. Always happy to come to work every morning! Inclusive place as they have activities for everyone to join for fun.
Productive and Enjoyable enviormnet
Area Statistics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NL11 July 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working for this employer and with the staff.
Great organizational culture
Research Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 July 2019
Primary role involved selling revenue generated units. Also, responded to billing inquiries, resolved customer disputes, retained client accounts and created statistical forecast reports for management.
Very productive solid organization with lots of growth and prosperity.
FACILITIES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 June 2019
I find working with DFO allows me to grow and experience a very solid working history with a organization that will allow me too grow and provide my best.
Pros
Greater Victoria, Coast line, great budget, and great benefits
Fun environment to work in
Human Resources Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2019
Depending on your job, the days tend to fly by, the people are fun to work with and there is plenty of opportunities to get you involved in the world of oceans.
professional environment
Editor & Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Andrews, NB27 May 2019
I value my experiences gained from this contract position. I had clear goals and expectations set for me, which I was able to achieve. Beautiful location and state of the art facilities.
Pros
upheld professional codes of conduct
Cons
very quiet, and at times lonely work environment
Leading edge of science/policy/government
manager (Current Employee) –  BC3 April 2019
Working here can provide you with opportunities to contribute to solving real world problems in fisheries science, policy and government agendas. You also can potentially participate in really interesting field work.
It can be hard to maintain work-life balance. Many of the challenges are long-standing, entrenched issues that are easily misunderstood by most people.
The higher you advance, the less likely you are doing hands on work. You end up dealing mostly with paperwork and HR issues.
Pros
field work in beautiful locations
Cons
long hours, low pay
Good place to be employed
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 February 2019
Fast paced environment and depends on the department you are working in. I have had great experiences and learned lots from the different portfolios I've had over the past 20 plus years and seen lots of changes with French Training coming on stream
Pros
Good place to be employed
Cons
N/a
great place to star tyour career
Fisheries Research Biologist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2019
lack of training and old style work culture limits the potential of the job. Stifflers when it came to paying overtime. they always wanted us to take out days off for overtime
Lab environment processing samples
Student Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 December 2018
During a semester at school I helped a masters student process samples for her research. In the lab, finding specific samples grinding them up adding specific chemicals and then using lab equipment to prepare them to be analyzed.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
No natural light
Very fun!
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 November 2018
A good place to work, I enjoy what I do very much. I am part of the GCWCC team for the 2018 campaign. I like the people I work with and I am glad that we have a good team.
Large organization. Whether you have a good experience there depends on who you work for.
specialist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 November 2018
I work in HR at national headquarters. My manager and senior leadership are amazing. I have worked in other branches and had less positive experiences there.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Stress
Friendly and supportive group of people
Fisheries Technician (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BC9 November 2018
My boss was very understanding and always willing to help, even if i had a question outside of work. Other people in the office were easy to approach and talk to. Also nice that half the time was office work and the other half was field work.
Pros
multiple work locations
Cons
repetitive office days
Amazing Team
Aquatic Invasive Species Technician (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL22 October 2018
An amazing goup I learned so much in the short time I was there. Really wish I could have stayed on but the federal system is not set up to keep short term employees in the long term.
Pros
Amazing Team
Cons
No job security
Great Job
Data Management (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB12 October 2018
Great job and learning experience at the DFO. Great work culture and more than enough opportunity to try new opportunities within the company. Income was great for me at the time
unwilling to keep good employees
Administrative Assistant (AS-01) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 August 2018
unable to keep me longer than my 90 day contract because of language barriers. unwilling to help other departments unless it was helpful to the director general
Diverse and Productive work environment
Physical Data Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2018
Excellent place to start and continue a career. There are Lots of opportunities for advancement and learning new skills. Supports a great work/life balance.