Fisheries And Oceans Canada

Fisheries And Oceans Canada Employee Reviews

The management and staff at Fisheries and Oceans were lovely. I enjoyed my time working there. The staff had many functions and activities that made it more enjoyable to work at. It was a smaller staff so everyone got along. It was a good work environment where you were appreciated by management.
The people I've worked with there are genuine and care deeply about the environment. Lots of scientists and PHD's and a good employee assistance program.
Great people who are incredibly passionate and intelligent with regards to their field. Benefits are fantastic for those who achieve full-time status. Tons of interaction between varying departments leading to diverse work opportunities.
The job security and the pay were very attractive qualities but I found that were were a number of less than driven employees getting over paid. In addition, there was little to challenge employees and there was little passion in the work environment.
Lots of fun being outside everyday, doing work that feels like it matters. People involved are really engaged and friendly. Lots of opportunities to build skillset. Pay was decent, but difficult for living in Vancouver area (but what biology job isn't?)
My boss asked me to falsify data to support their hypothesis. They routinely would bend the truth to meet their needs when they had to, but didn’t do so in a consistent manner. They were completely unethical and had a persecution complex. They surrounded themselves with sycophants
This department of the Federal Government is the best Federal dept. I’ve worked at in my over 10 years with the Government! The people are friendly and we all work well as a team! The work has many intrinsic rewards that even out weigh the wage!
I worked very hard in my position and was honoured with an award which was incredible! I helped to manage the Student Ambassador Program and helped connect students with a mentor.
It was a good place to work at. Sad that my term has ended. I would definitely recommend anyone who needs the experience in finance or admin to look into it.
the pacific salmonoid group is a very unorganized group who are not concerned with their employees heath and safety and are not very welcoming and very unsupportive.
A great place to work with many friendly and diverse people. The diversity of scientists and the work being done to protect the environment is a great bonus.
Amazing people and work environment. Always happy to come to work every morning! Inclusive place as they have activities for everyone to join for fun.
I thoroughly enjoyed working for this employer and with the staff.
Primary role involved selling revenue generated units. Also, responded to billing inquiries, resolved customer disputes, retained client accounts and created statistical forecast reports for management.
I find working with DFO allows me to grow and experience a very solid working history with a organization that will allow me too grow and provide my best.
Pros
Greater Victoria, Coast line, great budget, and great benefits
Depending on your job, the days tend to fly by, the people are fun to work with and there is plenty of opportunities to get you involved in the world of oceans.
I value my experiences gained from this contract position. I had clear goals and expectations set for me, which I was able to achieve. Beautiful location and state of the art facilities.
Pros
upheld professional codes of conduct
Cons
very quiet, and at times lonely work environment
Working here can provide you with opportunities to contribute to solving real world problems in fisheries science, policy and government agendas. You also can potentially participate in really interesting field work. It can be hard to maintain work-life balance. Many of the challenges are long-standing, entrenched issues that are easily misunderstood by most people. The higher you advance, the less likely you are doing hands on work. You end up dealing mostly with paperwork and HR issues.
Pros
field work in beautiful locations
Cons
long hours, low pay
Fast paced environment and depends on the department you are working in. I have had great experiences and learned lots from the different portfolios I've had over the past 20 plus years and seen lots of changes with French Training coming on stream
Pros
Good place to be employed
Cons
N/a
lack of training and old style work culture limits the potential of the job. Stifflers when it came to paying overtime. they always wanted us to take out days off for overtime
During a semester at school I helped a masters student process samples for her research. In the lab, finding specific samples grinding them up adding specific chemicals and then using lab equipment to prepare them to be analyzed.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
No natural light