FirstService Residential

Canada32 reviews

Found 32 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,610 reviews
propertysitebuildingsecurityresidentrecommendteamservice

Great for part time

Easy and simple work. Great for students as there are a lot of shifts available. Best suited for those familiar with customer service. Overall positive experience.

Bad place to work

A typical day at First Service is usually completing work left by the previous shift. On top of that you usually have to fix other peoples mistakes, ie previous shift not logging packages properly or placing them in the wrong place. Most of the time you are either not properly briefed or they have no idea of the current state of the building. Relief is 9/10 times late. They won't pay you for extra time. They expect you to do EVERYTHING! including playing stupid about building issues in front of board members so they can try to blame the issue on you.

Insights into FirstService Residential

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Don't work here

The entire corporate culture is lip service. It's all talk about going above and beyond, customer service and respect. In reality your a number on a spreadsheet. You make money for FSR. Don't think about a meaningful raise or jib advancement, it won't happen. Little to no training.

People are pretty petty here

It depends on your property that you're chosen for. It can be a walk in the park, or you can deal with crazy strata people with no support and you just have to deal with their stuff.

– 7 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your review. It sounds like you had some mixed experiences with us, and I will pass this on to the Area Manager team to see how we can support our Concierge team more closely. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.

Good

It was good for students and part timers. Lots of politics when obtain managers position. Knowledge of residential and strata bylaws. Small mistaked have bug consequences. Overall goopd to earn extra income

Pros

Team

– 11 July 2022
Our part time roles can be a great fit for students or those looking for hours over the weekends or in the evening and the roles do offer the opportunity to learn more about residential strata management if you're looking to grow your career further. Thanks for sharing.

just like any other security company.

just like any other security company. well structured admin and managers are responsive. very difficult to get a raise, even if you do manage to get a raise it wont be more than $0.30.

Pros

lax work environment

Cons

minimum wages.

Management is unorganized and lack knowledge

Management does not have the ability to seek out experienced individuals for concierge. They seem to hire anyone who has any experience in a hotel at a front desk, and then attempt to make them into a concierge.Training is intense, but informative, and prepares you for the skills required to do the job, however, without hands on training you are thrown into a fire and entrusted to be good at your role knowing what you have learned in training.If you fail... you are gone. They waste your time in hiring you, training you, and then say they will not move forward with you the first mistake you make, rather than allowing you to learn from your mistake, improve.

Pros

Cons

One Mistake and you are out the door!

Professionalism at its best

The most important thing about this company is they are top notch professionals.A proper chain of command is followed throughout the company.Managers are very understanding and are always available to help whenever required.

– 11 July 2022
Thank you for sharing your review. It's great to hear about the professionalism and manager support that you received. Thanks for being part of the team!

Great workplace!

I have been working with FS Residential for about 6 months now and want to say that it is a great company to work for. The management is super helpful and they want you to grow and learn new things all the time. Work day is usually busy but the team is very supportive and you can reach out to you fellow colleagues for advice as well. I would definitely recommend working with FS Residential!

Pros

Good pay, set schedule, benefits, great people to work with

– 15 September 2021
Thanks for such a great review! People are at the heart of everything we do, and we're thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your work and the team.

Great place to work for

An excellent place to work. Managers really care for employees and always putting their goodwill before other things. Handsome pay for just a starting position. Great job sites. Comfortable work environment.

Pros

great pay, comfortable job environment, etc.

Cons

busy work hours.

– 15 September 2021
Thank you for reviewing our company. It is great to hear about your positive experience with Managers, wages and the work environment and your feedback is appreciated.

Good for a while

There is scope to improve customer service experience. Lots of challenges available to deal with, some of the residents behave really nice, some are arrogant. There is chance of slow growth.

Pros

Christmas time lots of gifts

Cons

Have to deal with drug addicts at the parkade, deal with bike thefts, lots of residents continuously make noise or smoke and would like to shut the door on your face.

– 15 September 2021
Thanks for your review. The Concierge role does include high interaction with residents and it sounds like we could have provided more individual training and support to help you. Thanks for the feedback and the opportunity to learn from this.

Do not work here

If you want to continue having any faith in humanity please dont work here. There is little job training and very little room for advancement. They will play lip service to having a great culture but its all fake. Group meetings and team activities are only there to make managers look good, often they have nothing to do with our jobs. They expect you to go "above and beyond" but you are punished for making other employees look bad. Residents can be awful. Prepare to get yelled at for anything and everything. Your expected to pickup after peoples messes constantly. The environment is stressful and hostile.

Pros

Cons

Hostile work environment, low pay, long hours, stressful, no breaks

– 21 August 2020
We're sorry to hear of your experience working with us. We take pride in offering industry leading training, and endeavor to promote from within within the division, and into other areas of the company. It sounds as if we didn't meet the mark here and we take this feedback seriously. Thank you for sharing it.

Great job for Students

Your experience depends on what community manager you work under. Most are great but the hourly pay varies wildly and unfairly. Daytime workers make more than evening workers despite a heavier workload in the evening (evening shifts have the same duties as the daytime ones in addition to also having to clean thoroughly).

Its fun to work i learned a lot

I have been working at FSR full-time less a year now , Open communication, Great work environment ,Lots of opportunities to grow and develop i recommend to all applicant to try this company..

Pros

Great teams, great management, great corporate culture, great sense of community, strong work ethic

Cons

No cons to report. Have had a great experience

– 15 June 2020
Thanks for your review. We take pride in the community and culture here, and each Associate is an important part of that. Thank you for your contribution - it is truly valued.

Great place to work!

FSR has been super supportive and a collaborative environment to work in. There's many opportunities to advance in this career field as management is always asking about and supporting our career goals. For individuals that are capable of being responsible and working independently, this is the right job for you!

Pros

Supportive and challenging environment, always learning something new!

Cons

A delay in communications can occur during busy seasons

– 9 June 2020
Thanks for the feedback! There are definitely times when things can get busy, so we appreciate the reminder to focus on communications. It's good to hear that you've found the team to be supportive and collaborative - that's something we take a lot of pride in.

Fantastic Management

I have worked for FSR for almost a full year now and I have always felt supported by my managers and team. I had no idea what I was doing when I first started and have been guided and taught wonderfully all along the way.

– 9 June 2020
Congratulations on your one year anniversary! We welcome Associates who are keen to learn, and we have a comprehensive training and onboarding program to support this. Thank you for reviewing us.

Perfect place who wants to make a career and feel family environment

When you hired you will feel yourself as a member of this amazing family. There is a good and supportive work and family environment inside of the company. Management amazing whenever you need management supporting and take care of workers. If you want to grow inside of company FirstService Residential is perfect place where you can learn more and make a career.

– 8 June 2020
Thank you for this glowing review. We really appreciate your feedback about the team and the level of support that you received.

Respected Management

Compassionate and respectful organization Career growth opportunities Hard working professionals Good to start or continue a career. Various locations

Good

..good company to work in. Job pay was ok . They need to improve the organisation of managers. But its good to start up in work industry. I would like to ask them to improve pay scale of head concierge

Lost managers ! Lost supervisors all lost

How can they put those supervisors and managers to work if they don’t even care about the jobs ! Treat employees like garbage! Waste time ! Too bad 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

It was good

It was a good company. Big company. They will make sure that you’re being taken care of. And the benefits and salary is standard. Not a bad company to work at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstService Residential. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement