FirstService Residential

FirstService Residential Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Vancouver, BC81 reviews

Found 81 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,610 reviews
propertysitebuildingsecurityresidentrecommendteamservice

Loads of learning. Good culture and people around are nice Business is growing and they are very big in property management business .Ample growth opportunities for growth mindset people. They value their employees alot😊

Property Managers are arrogant and inexperienced.

If you're a new property manager this is the place for you. Senior pm's are arrogant and need to move on. Gossip is ramped amongst downtown managers and circulating support staff. I believe the ceo of the Vancouver branch is trying to run a tight ship but there are so many unprofessional and inexperienced staff under him, I believe it's impossible. Zero, flexibility and zero support from senior pm's. It's too bad because occasionally they hire a great pm but they do not stay long once they realize what a bleep show this company is and how poorly run it is. Smoke and mirrors .....

Insights into FirstService Residential

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Life is work!

Specifically regarding the finance team:No work life balanceExpected to work on all vacation daysLow payMicro managementNo encouragementStressfulThere is no sense of team / belongingWork allocation is done without consenting with employees, if management feels that the job can be done, IT HAS TO BE DONE!Some employees are visibly stressed and managers simply ignore this and focus on workEmployees are expected to work on weekends and vacation daysThe managers and top management have a career path and promotions, the rest are headcountsTraining is a joke. Who can sit and listen for 4-5 hours continuously and learn?No process documents to refer to, every accountant has a different approach towards work - creating ambiguity most of the timeThe mid year and year end appraisals are formalities - managers and top management like to get through it ASAP

Underwhelming

Disillusioned by what I thought the company would offer, ultimately let down. Did not have access to FSR university training within the first two weeks of on-boarding, excluded from learning experiences, and my manager had relational aggression towards me that I found unbearable. Expect to work 7 days a week and can’t have a discussion about this with my manager, who is managing broker. I suppose this place has a great facade

Pros

Thought it would be good

Cons

Co-workers will repeat what you say to others

– 13 September 2022
Hello, it sounds like we had some misses during your onboarding that we can learn from. We appreciate you sharing these so that we can improve in the future. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Adaptive work environment

Property management can be challenging and stressful at times. The support here at this company is very good, and I feel like Managers and supervisors care about their people. I would recommend this company to anyone that is interested in learning as there is lots of opportunity to learn and grow.

– 22 August 2022
Thank you for providing this comprehensive review. We certainly appreciate the recommendation and we will continue to focus on developing our team, and looking for ways to make work less stressful.

Great Team to Work with

Great team to work with, lots of collaboration and autonomy to do your job. Support is there If you need it but they don't micro manage.Opportunities to advance and better your position are there if you want to take advantage of them.

Pros

Autonomy

Cons

Hours required to make it all happen

Great for part time

Easy and simple work. Great for students as there are a lot of shifts available. Best suited for those familiar with customer service. Overall positive experience.

Don't work here

The entire corporate culture is lip service. It's all talk about going above and beyond, customer service and respect. In reality your a number on a spreadsheet. You make money for FSR. Don't think about a meaningful raise or jib advancement, it won't happen. Little to no training.

People are pretty petty here

It depends on your property that you're chosen for. It can be a walk in the park, or you can deal with crazy strata people with no support and you just have to deal with their stuff.

– 7 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your review. It sounds like you had some mixed experiences with us, and I will pass this on to the Area Manager team to see how we can support our Concierge team more closely. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.

Easy going

very good place to work, they have lots of buildings and always need staff to cover more property. Monday to Friday work, always get holidays off depends where etc.

Pros

Easy going staff

– 15 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We're pleased to hear that you're enjoying being part of the team, and taking advantage of the opportunities to take on more shifts. Thank you for everything that you do!

Terrible

Provided little training.no support ..basically throw you to the wolves.They are a bad as Hollyburn properties.no overtime ,crape benefits..There only concern is the bottom line ..It only takes half a day to completely clean a. small building ..garbage etc.. Then what ..wait a light bulb to burn out??

– 15 September 2021
We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience with us. We have been focusing on improving Building Manager training and agree that this is an important part of being successful in the role. Thank you for the opportunity to learn from your feedback.

Great workplace!

I have been working with FS Residential for about 6 months now and want to say that it is a great company to work for. The management is super helpful and they want you to grow and learn new things all the time. Work day is usually busy but the team is very supportive and you can reach out to you fellow colleagues for advice as well. I would definitely recommend working with FS Residential!

Pros

Good pay, set schedule, benefits, great people to work with

– 15 September 2021
Thanks for such a great review! People are at the heart of everything we do, and we're thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your work and the team.

Great place to work for

An excellent place to work. Managers really care for employees and always putting their goodwill before other things. Handsome pay for just a starting position. Great job sites. Comfortable work environment.

Pros

great pay, comfortable job environment, etc.

Cons

busy work hours.

– 15 September 2021
Thank you for reviewing our company. It is great to hear about your positive experience with Managers, wages and the work environment and your feedback is appreciated.

Good for a while

There is scope to improve customer service experience. Lots of challenges available to deal with, some of the residents behave really nice, some are arrogant. There is chance of slow growth.

Pros

Christmas time lots of gifts

Cons

Have to deal with drug addicts at the parkade, deal with bike thefts, lots of residents continuously make noise or smoke and would like to shut the door on your face.

– 15 September 2021
Thanks for your review. The Concierge role does include high interaction with residents and it sounds like we could have provided more individual training and support to help you. Thanks for the feedback and the opportunity to learn from this.

Productive and high-paced environment

Currently working remotely requires a high level of self-discipline and time management skills. Typical days are 12-14 hours including virtual evening Strata Council meetings. A high number of emails are received every day from Strata Council members, site staff including Building Managers and caretakers, Owners, residents, trades and contractors and FirstService Residential associates in the Administration, Accounting, Accounts Receivable and Payable and Insurance departments. All Strata Managers are part of a Team with a Regional Director as Lead. Management is very supportive providing ongoing education seminars and encouraging additional training on FirstService University. The hardest part of the job is knowing that the job is never completely done. The most enjoyable part of the job is managing the portfolio independently but within the Best Practices of FirstService Residential.

– 15 September 2021
Thanks for this thorough review of life as a Strata Manager at FirstService Residential. The work is certainly fast-paced and varied and we're pleased to hear what's enjoyable, and appreciate the feedback on areas of opportunity for future focus.

Working teamwork are friendly Professionalism and export

The Company have many location across Vancouver and manage by a professional and full commentary system, The connections between managers and employee is very effected and friendly, The most important the relation with tenant and vendors are fair and good

– 15 September 2021
Thank you for reviewing FirstService Residential. We certainly appreciate hearing about the supportive and collaborative teams, and great relationships with vendors. Thanks again.

Respectful work environment

Supportive Management team, caring culture, always talking about how we can give excellent customer service and how we can better engage our employees. Employees are respected as an important contributor in the Company's growth. They set you up for success. Senior Management is focused on fostering a good organizational culture, and taking good care of employees.The most enjoyable part of the job is your management lets you work freely within your areas of responsibility - no micro management. The hard part may be the volume of work load which I believe can be reduced by improving work processes and taking full benefits of technology.

Pros

Flexibility to work from home due to Covid

– 24 September 2020
Thank you for the review! It is nice to hear about your experience, including the support you have received and the culture of the company. Thanks for being part of our team. We appreciate hearing what's going well, but also what can be improved to ensure that FirstService Residential BC continues to be a great place to work.

Highly dependent on worksite supervisor and area manager.

If you have a good manager it’s a great workplace. Sometimes the manager is unqualified and doesn’t know what they’re doing, and then you suffer. It also depends on your building residents, to a lesser degree.

Pros

Paid lunch

Cons

Inconsistent management

– 15 September 2021
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and will review it with Management. We wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Great people!

I enjoyed all of my time working at First Service and would recommend others to work there. Everyone is very friendly and supportive. Management was very supportive. Accounting and Administrative support was excellent. Fun and happy people all around.

– 24 September 2020
Thank you for this amazing review. We're thrilled to hear about your experience, including the support you have received.

Top notch professionals!

FirstService can give you a lot if you put time and efforts a lot. Coming in the corporative culture is a challenge, but it will pay out full if you listen, pay attention, and be consistent! They will treat you fairly if you prove that you care, meet the deadlines, and be patient with your colleagues.

Pros

Patient in their decisions, no pushing, rushing or criticizing;

Cons

Not found at this time!

– 17 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review FirstService Residential. We appreciate the feedback and advice for future applicants around how to succeed here. Thank you for contributing to the team.

Do not work here

If you want to continue having any faith in humanity please dont work here. There is little job training and very little room for advancement. They will play lip service to having a great culture but its all fake. Group meetings and team activities are only there to make managers look good, often they have nothing to do with our jobs. They expect you to go "above and beyond" but you are punished for making other employees look bad. Residents can be awful. Prepare to get yelled at for anything and everything. Your expected to pickup after peoples messes constantly. The environment is stressful and hostile.

Pros

Cons

Hostile work environment, low pay, long hours, stressful, no breaks

– 21 August 2020
We're sorry to hear of your experience working with us. We take pride in offering industry leading training, and endeavor to promote from within within the division, and into other areas of the company. It sounds as if we didn't meet the mark here and we take this feedback seriously. Thank you for sharing it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstService Residential. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement