FirstService Residential Employee Reviews

Worst security company ever
Front Desk Concierge (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 July 2018
I started working for them when I was in school and I was told I will get shifts which will at least amount to 20 hours a week but I worked for 3 months only with this company and I only worked 8 hours in all these months.

The property management team is rude, not helpful at all and whenever I used to call them for shifts they will always say we will send an email soon but that email never came, "we gave the shift to someone else", they will call me am hour before my shift and tell that "the shift is cancelled because of so and so reason"
Cons
No hours, rude property management
Do not recommend
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2018
As an employee, we have a heavy workload with really low salary. Almost every single month, they will terminate employee's contract without any notice.
Building Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 May 2018
the company lager in north America .I was work in richmoundhill in Canada.all in one roof sercivce .but they don't have enough proper people worth with them.they loos bulding faster
Lots of Turnover
Property Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2018
The company is a breading ground for new workers with no experience. They do not care about quality of work and much rather have the cheapest person that can do the job, do it. Therefore the turnover is extremely high.

Lots and lots of office gossip and politics.

Too many back office executives.

The office culture was much better when it was Simerra and once they became FSR there was a lot of change and it lost its work/ family balance.

All you need to do is call the head office and try to speak with a live person and your questions will be answered, impossible.
Challenging Workplace
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 April 2018
It was tough working with a manager that would basically condemn staff members for trying to help improve work processes and help each other out, in the workplace. Everyone was told to do their own job, but it was tough to know what exactly our job/role was when the manager kept changing processes every day and would go on and rant about how great of a job they're doing for us, the department, for multiple periods throughout a given work day.
Crabs crawling on each other, in a dirty pool, to get to the top.
Front Desk Associate! Lol (Former Employee) –  North York, ON18 April 2018
They talk a lot about being customer service oriented as opposed to other militaristic security companies. But, when it comes to action, they are a bunch of crabs crawling on each other to get to the top. Unless you are a yes man, who likes to work in a snake pit, forget about this company.
Pros
Non.
Cons
Too many to mention.
Got to be able to work well on your own
Building Manager - (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 April 2018
I enjoyed being a building manager since I've had experience with it before. I would say that I recommend this role for people that are organized, able to work on their own and are happy with the offered compensation.
Pros
Big Company
Cons
Big Company
Management top heavy
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 April 2018
I worked almost 3 years the turn over was unbelievable, the good ones left , and I know why. Way too top heavy " the ole saying too many cooks in the kitchen". The company never gave me my 3 month evaluation meeting, did not give me any raise. I was to look after a complex but with so many strata agent flying in out over my time there , I was left with no support . Their only goal was to get the contract at whatever cost. You are only a means to their end. They treat you with no respect yet they tell you to respect the tenants we serve. Need to take some lessons. I would not recommend anyone working for them, I left as I had had enough.
Pros
Cons
Treated poorly low wages
Good Company. Nice People
Condo Superintendent - TSCC 2564 (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2018
I am currently an employee with the company and can honestly say they are great to work for as long as you are a hard worker and honest with your management.
Heavy Duty Cleaner
Heavy Duty Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2018
In all my previous jobs I learned positive things that contributed to my personal and work growth.

One of them is to respect other people and accept them as they are, to know that each one has a habit and a personal history that has led her to be in that place.

I learned that I can change a negative attitude to a positive one in situations where the client needs support and help.

By giving my best I can help people to fulfill their wishes in an expected way.
Pros
excellent benefits
Toxic local management and too many office politics
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 March 2018
A company moving in the wrong direction because of the bad local management team. They play too much politics in the office. Especially finance department, it’s so much worse than before
Pros
Average benefits
Cons
Too much workloads and low pay in industry; terrible management
Management do not follow the company's values
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 February 2018
Great location, most people are knowledgeable and fun to work with.
An insecure President for the Vancouver office makes life very difficult for everyone else.
They have spent a lot of money on line-ups, developing values and global service standards that are not followed by the top of the the organization.
Sub-standard Vancouver wages for bottom employees
Constant turn-over
A culture of mistrust and abuse sips down from the top down.
Pros
Location, co-workers
Cons
Extremely high turn-over, abusive President
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
Giving feedback is one of the most important parts of a manager's job. Good employees need and want to know how they're doing, and effective managers work hard to master the art and process of conducting difficult conversations and offering meaningful praise.
Not the Best
Concierge/Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2018
Everything seems okay when you first start like any other company however as time passes by you will realize how unorganized this company is and how they really don't care about you as a staff
Pros
none theres better companies
Cons
alot
Fun and flexible environment to work in
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2018
The workload is well balanced, it really depends on the type of worker you are.

They are accommodating and flexible when it comes to changes in schedules especially when there are emergencies that pops up.

My supervisor is an amazing leader and she is understanding. She is able to listen to any issues we may have and very supportive. She always have our backs and pushes us to do better and be able to work more efficiently so that we produce quality work that we can be proud of.
They could do better
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 January 2018
This particular Company really needs to practice what is preached. There is absolutely no job/life balance and there is an incredibly high turnover rate
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
i love my job
House Keeping Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 January 2018
i am working over there almost 1year and 6 months.for me very flexible time they give i learned how to cleaned luxury condo and how to give service for resident.our management are good we can spoke with friendly and if we have any problem we can tell them every morning we have small brefing about work.work place culture is good different culture but no problem for me.my hardest part of job winter time but we are trying our level best to do our work with out any complain.i am enjoy my job because of freedom
First Service is not a good company to be working for. Poor management, poor compensation and very bad benefits plan.
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2017
Company does not hire the right people especially in highly demanding posts. Sometimes they just hire anyone plus they do not provide proper training.
Compensation is very low and benefits plan is one of the worst plans ever if not actually the worst.
Careful with Coordinatirs and Management !
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 December 2017
Good company. It is growing fast in Vancouver. Unfortunely HR and some supervisor are really no good on what they do. I enjoy the position but they dont organize properly several things and they under any circumstances will listen to associates.
Pros
Position itselt / Networking.
Cons
Coordinators / Management
Employees are mostly friendly
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 November 2017
The software that they are using in Accounting in my opinion is not reliable. Hard to be a permanent employee, workplace culture is very friendly. High volume and no control in Accounting. Everybody in AP can print cheques. There's always meeting but I noticed it don't resolve any task.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstService Residential. Our community is ready to answer.

FirstService Residential Reviews by Location