FirstService Residential
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

FirstService Residential: 130 Employee Reviews

Canada130 reviews

Found 130 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,470 reviews

I worked with great people. I learned from them.

I saw so many beautiful condominiums. They located in different part of city. I enjoy to see different environment. I love Toronto. Hardest part of job when happened Fire alarm.

Pros

Birthday together!

Cons

Very difficult work during long hours in busy place. Exhausted!

The worst.

Will tell you they have another site for you to work at and will never call you back again. Why cant you just fire people? Beware of them they are sneaky.

Insights into FirstService Residential

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Poor leadership

This place is ripe with unprofessional and inexperience leadership which starts right at the top , you are basically just a number at this company its only about the bottom line.

Pros

Flexible Work Hours

Cons

Severely Overworked

Too much stress and over worked

The workload is way to much, there is no work life balance. The management team just keeps adding more work, and does not want to hire more people. The only good thing about working at the Calgary office some of the people.

This company manage one of the worst building in Vancouver!!

Don't ever consider working as a concierge if you are assigned to work in the building on Kingsway and Gladstone St. This building has the worst strata council with terrible attitude. Strata council members are super bossy, unsupportive and unfriendly attitude. The workload is huge, compared to other buildings. The area is filled with homeless and criminal offenses occur all the time. Police usually show up in the building at least twice a week. No matter how hard working you are, council will fire you in a minute if you refuse to be their dog. This building has the highest turnover rate in FSR portfolio due to this terrible council.

Good

It was good for students and part timers. Lots of politics when obtain managers position. Knowledge of residential and strata bylaws. Small mistaked have bug consequences. Overall goopd to earn extra income

Pros

Team

Cons

just like any other security company.

just like any other security company. well structured admin and managers are responsive. very difficult to get a raise, even if you do manage to get a raise it wont be more than $0.30.

Pros

lax work environment

Cons

minimum wages.

Job is easy but no place for advancement

Company wants to hire cheap labour and just pay them low wages for luxury concierge services.Company has contracts of luxury high rises all over lower mainland and pays minimum money to employees( not even living cost)

Pros

Benefits mehh

Cons

No advancement Poor management Not flexible

Mixed Bag

Close knit team, but division amongst other departments. Not hiring based on skill, more friends of friends. Also revolving door on the lower end positions which makes everything frustrating. Condo Managers get the brunt of everyone else's mistakes.

Pros

Seem to push a team culture hard, with lots of group meetings in the morning. Very ok with you making mistakes, but the mistakes can take a toll on yourself.

Cons

Very stressful, properties that are handed over to you can be in flames with tons of outstanding issues, If you are new to the industry it is sink or swim, and takes about 5 years to be competent and ready for everything.

stressful

The problem is not the company, the problem here is the people who manage the buildings, in the building where I am I was working under stress for months caused by a colleague and they did not act quickly, they removed the aggressive colleague until I saw myself affected and because of the stress my work performance began to drop and I began to miss work for the same reason, that is why I gave the company those qualifications.

Pros

Cons

Stressful

Professionalism at its best

The most important thing about this company is they are top notch professionals.A proper chain of command is followed throughout the company.Managers are very understanding and are always available to help whenever required.

Dirty job with little gratitutude and less communication

The work is pretty easy as all you're doing is mopping, taking out the garbage, vacuuming and wiping things down but it is very dirty and you feel gross afterwards. There also isn't a lot gratitude shown by anyone and you'll often have to handle the tenants problems since the front desk people come there hours after you do. There's also very little communication from the higher up on how your doing, any problems you might have or things you should be doing differently until it's too late. The pay also isn't worth just how sweaty and gross you feel afterwards.

Pros

Work is relatively easy

Cons

Little to no communication on job performance

Terrible

Provided little training.no support ..basically throw you to the wolves.They are a bad as Hollyburn properties.no overtime ,crape benefits..There only concern is the bottom line ..It only takes half a day to completely clean a. small building ..garbage etc.. Then what ..wait a light bulb to burn out??

15 September 2021
We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience with us. We have been focusing on improving Building Manager training and agree that this is an important part of being successful in the role. Thank you for the opportunity to learn from your feedback.

Great workplace!

I have been working with FS Residential for about 6 months now and want to say that it is a great company to work for. The management is super helpful and they want you to grow and learn new things all the time. Work day is usually busy but the team is very supportive and you can reach out to you fellow colleagues for advice as well. I would definitely recommend working with FS Residential!

Pros

Good pay, set schedule, benefits, great people to work with

15 September 2021
Thanks for such a great review! People are at the heart of everything we do, and we're thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your work and the team.

was good

Highly reputable company to work for and all of the people I worked withthey were so easy going.. The Culture was good and we got lots of training !

Great place to work for

An excellent place to work. Managers really care for employees and always putting their goodwill before other things. Handsome pay for just a starting position. Great job sites. Comfortable work environment.

Pros

great pay, comfortable job environment, etc.

Cons

busy work hours.

15 September 2021
Thank you for reviewing our company. It is great to hear about your positive experience with Managers, wages and the work environment and your feedback is appreciated.

Good for a while

There is scope to improve customer service experience. Lots of challenges available to deal with, some of the residents behave really nice, some are arrogant. There is chance of slow growth.

Pros

Christmas time lots of gifts

Cons

Have to deal with drug addicts at the parkade, deal with bike thefts, lots of residents continuously make noise or smoke and would like to shut the door on your face.

15 September 2021
Thanks for your review. The Concierge role does include high interaction with residents and it sounds like we could have provided more individual training and support to help you. Thanks for the feedback and the opportunity to learn from this.

Is a good place for working

I worked for 8 years with any problems with the managersI had all supplies and equipmentI had parking on site safeThe building is in very good conditions for working

Pros

Good company

Cons

The resident manager of the building

Productive and high-paced environment

Currently working remotely requires a high level of self-discipline and time management skills. Typical days are 12-14 hours including virtual evening Strata Council meetings. A high number of emails are received every day from Strata Council members, site staff including Building Managers and caretakers, Owners, residents, trades and contractors and FirstService Residential associates in the Administration, Accounting, Accounts Receivable and Payable and Insurance departments. All Strata Managers are part of a Team with a Regional Director as Lead. Management is very supportive providing ongoing education seminars and encouraging additional training on FirstService University. The hardest part of the job is knowing that the job is never completely done. The most enjoyable part of the job is managing the portfolio independently but within the Best Practices of FirstService Residential.

15 September 2021
Thanks for this thorough review of life as a Strata Manager at FirstService Residential. The work is certainly fast-paced and varied and we're pleased to hear what's enjoyable, and appreciate the feedback on areas of opportunity for future focus.

Great Team

Some companies talk about collaborative working and their core values but this company really does care about them and they practise them weekly. Adopt their core values and youl be fine. Great team. Great company.

Pros

Great team great benefits

Cons

Can't think of any

Too many bosses, seemed like I was always stepping on someones toes.

There were two members of the condo board that wanted me gone, probably because I was hired by First Service, and they didn’t think they needed me. They finally removed me with NO explanation other than “We want to move in a new direction”. I believed I was doing a great job and my firering was very hurtful and caused me significant emotional pain.

Pros

Lots of problem solving, very challenging, I love that.

Cons

Working for a Condo Board, in my opinion, is a risky endeavour, I don’t recommend it!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstService Residential. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement