FirstService Residential, British Columbia

Working at FirstService Residential, British Columbia: Employee Reviews

Canada75 reviews

residentialsupportsupportivecultureteamtrainingrecommendoffice

Adaptive work environment

Property management can be challenging and stressful at times. The support here at this company is very good, and I feel like Managers and supervisors care about their people. I would recommend this company to anyone that is interested in learning as there is lots of opportunity to learn and grow.

22 August 2022
Thank you for providing this comprehensive review. We certainly appreciate the recommendation and we will continue to focus on developing our team, and looking for ways to make work less stressful.

Underwhelming

Disillusioned by what I thought the company would offer, ultimately let down. Did not have access to FSR university training within the first two weeks of on-boarding, excluded from learning experiences, and my manager had relational aggression towards me that I found unbearable. Expect to work 7 days a week and can’t have a discussion about this with my manager, who is managing broker. I suppose this place has a great facade

Pros

Thought it would be good

Cons

Co-workers will repeat what you say to others

13 September 2022
Hello, it sounds like we had some misses during your onboarding that we can learn from. We appreciate you sharing these so that we can improve in the future. We wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Insights into FirstService Residential, British Columbia

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

One Big team

When I started at FirstService I had no idea what a residential concierge did. I figured that it would be a good place to work for a few months till I figured out what I really wanted to do. Now I have been with the company for almost 3 years and I am on my second promotion. I have had wonderful supervisors and managers that really believe in me and treat me like a valued team member. The residents I served were welcoming and warm. It has been the best place I've ever worked in my 20 years of various employments.

4 April 2022
Thank you for sharing this review. It's wonderful to hear of your positive experience and career growth here; it's a very important part of what we can offer to our Associates. Thank you for being part of the team, we appreciate you!

People are pretty petty here

It depends on your property that you're chosen for. It can be a walk in the park, or you can deal with crazy strata people with no support and you just have to deal with their stuff.

7 March 2022
Thank you for sharing your review. It sounds like you had some mixed experiences with us, and I will pass this on to the Area Manager team to see how we can support our Concierge team more closely. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors.

Easy going

very good place to work, they have lots of buildings and always need staff to cover more property. Monday to Friday work, always get holidays off depends where etc.

Pros

Easy going staff

15 November 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We're pleased to hear that you're enjoying being part of the team, and taking advantage of the opportunities to take on more shifts. Thank you for everything that you do!

Management is unorganized and lack knowledge

Management does not have the ability to seek out experienced individuals for concierge. They seem to hire anyone who has any experience in a hotel at a front desk, and then attempt to make them into a concierge.Training is intense, but informative, and prepares you for the skills required to do the job, however, without hands on training you are thrown into a fire and entrusted to be good at your role knowing what you have learned in training.If you fail... you are gone. They waste your time in hiring you, training you, and then say they will not move forward with you the first mistake you make, rather than allowing you to learn from your mistake, improve.

Pros

Cons

One Mistake and you are out the door!

Productive and good work place

Although the workload is high, it helps that management is supportive and does not micro-manage. Resources are plenty if you want to learn or be trained about a certain task but you can learn at a pace that you feel comfortable in. Time goes fast at work because you never run-out of things to do and because you are allowed to work head down and focus on what you need to do. The company culture feels neutral in the sense that you don't feel out of place. Flexible working environment due to Covid.

Pros

Use of technology in all aspect of work makes it easier to fulfill the job.

Cons

Use of technology at work can be intimidating for individuals who prefer to work the old school way.

4 December 2020
Thank you for reviewing us. It's good to hear that you've found management to be supportive. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience here and thank you for contributing to the team!

Respectful work environment

Supportive Management team, caring culture, always talking about how we can give excellent customer service and how we can better engage our employees. Employees are respected as an important contributor in the Company's growth. They set you up for success. Senior Management is focused on fostering a good organizational culture, and taking good care of employees.The most enjoyable part of the job is your management lets you work freely within your areas of responsibility - no micro management. The hard part may be the volume of work load which I believe can be reduced by improving work processes and taking full benefits of technology.

Pros

Flexibility to work from home due to Covid

24 September 2020
Thank you for the review! It is nice to hear about your experience, including the support you have received and the culture of the company. Thanks for being part of our team. We appreciate hearing what's going well, but also what can be improved to ensure that FirstService Residential BC continues to be a great place to work.

Great people!

I enjoyed all of my time working at First Service and would recommend others to work there. Everyone is very friendly and supportive. Management was very supportive. Accounting and Administrative support was excellent. Fun and happy people all around.

24 September 2020
Thank you for this amazing review. We're thrilled to hear about your experience, including the support you have received.

Top notch professionals!

FirstService can give you a lot if you put time and efforts a lot. Coming in the corporative culture is a challenge, but it will pay out full if you listen, pay attention, and be consistent! They will treat you fairly if you prove that you care, meet the deadlines, and be patient with your colleagues.

Pros

Patient in their decisions, no pushing, rushing or criticizing;

Cons

Not found at this time!

17 July 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review FirstService Residential. We appreciate the feedback and advice for future applicants around how to succeed here. Thank you for contributing to the team.

Do not work here

If you want to continue having any faith in humanity please dont work here. There is little job training and very little room for advancement. They will play lip service to having a great culture but its all fake. Group meetings and team activities are only there to make managers look good, often they have nothing to do with our jobs. They expect you to go "above and beyond" but you are punished for making other employees look bad. Residents can be awful. Prepare to get yelled at for anything and everything. Your expected to pickup after peoples messes constantly. The environment is stressful and hostile.

Pros

Cons

Hostile work environment, low pay, long hours, stressful, no breaks

21 August 2020
We're sorry to hear of your experience working with us. We take pride in offering industry leading training, and endeavor to promote from within within the division, and into other areas of the company. It sounds as if we didn't meet the mark here and we take this feedback seriously. Thank you for sharing it.

Great team but heavy workload, stressful

The company is a victim of it's own success. Adding new business but unable to keep up with the recruitment of needed staff. Many of the senior managers are not from the industry therefore don't fully appreciate the workload or associated stress.

Pros

Awesome team spirit

Cons

Long hours and on call

22 August 2022
Thanks for your review, and we apologize this one slipped through the net for a more timely response. Feedback is always appreciated, and provides us an opportunity to improve things for our team.

Hand on caring approach to management

My experience at first service has and continues to be amazing! The upper management genuinely gives me the tools and training I need to succeed! The Senior area managers are always in regular contact with myself and staff giving commendation and hands on training where needed. I can genuinely see myself staying with FirstService and growing with the company.

15 June 2020
Wow! Thank you for this glowing review. We're thrilled to hear about your experience, including the support you have received and your bright future here. Thanks for being part of our team.

Its fun to work i learned a lot

I have been working at FSR full-time less a year now , Open communication, Great work environment ,Lots of opportunities to grow and develop i recommend to all applicant to try this company..

Pros

Great teams, great management, great corporate culture, great sense of community, strong work ethic

Cons

No cons to report. Have had a great experience

15 June 2020
Thanks for your review. We take pride in the community and culture here, and each Associate is an important part of that. Thank you for your contribution - it is truly valued.

Resourceful management and a great place to work if you are good at managing your time!

Nice work hours if you are a Team Lead. With the option of overtime if you want it! Good position if you work well independently and are very well organized. Professional company, awesome staff!

12 June 2020
Thanks for this review. We would agree that our Team Lead roles are ideal for organized, self-motivated people who enjoy a professional environment. Awesome staff is a definitely a highlight, too!

Great place to work!

FSR has been super supportive and a collaborative environment to work in. There's many opportunities to advance in this career field as management is always asking about and supporting our career goals. For individuals that are capable of being responsible and working independently, this is the right job for you!

Pros

Supportive and challenging environment, always learning something new!

Cons

A delay in communications can occur during busy seasons

9 June 2020
Thanks for the feedback! There are definitely times when things can get busy, so we appreciate the reminder to focus on communications. It's good to hear that you've found the team to be supportive and collaborative - that's something we take a lot of pride in.

Fantastic Management

I have worked for FSR for almost a full year now and I have always felt supported by my managers and team. I had no idea what I was doing when I first started and have been guided and taught wonderfully all along the way.

9 June 2020
Congratulations on your one year anniversary! We welcome Associates who are keen to learn, and we have a comprehensive training and onboarding program to support this. Thank you for reviewing us.

Perfect place who wants to make a career and feel family environment

When you hired you will feel yourself as a member of this amazing family. There is a good and supportive work and family environment inside of the company. Management amazing whenever you need management supporting and take care of workers. If you want to grow inside of company FirstService Residential is perfect place where you can learn more and make a career.

8 June 2020
Thank you for this glowing review. We really appreciate your feedback about the team and the level of support that you received.

Great Place To Work

I have been with the company for about 2 years and I love working for FSR. This job challenges me and gives me flexible time. There are a lot of opportunities to advance.

7 June 2020
Our front desk / concierge team is truly the face of our Company to our residents and communities Thank you for this review, and also for being a champion of our values at the desk each day.

Great company culture

I am glad to be a part of the company. Grateful for the team support and the upper management's interest in our professional growth. Relaxed work environment and great company culture.

7 June 2020
Thank you for reviewing us, Professional development is a continual focus for us , and we definitely agree with your feedback about the culture. Thanks, again!

Amazing culture and competitive fast paced work always keeps you engaged

Working with an amazing group of people is the best part of the day - the team at FirstService is very welcoming , places great emphasis on a good on boarding process and training. The commitment from leadership team to provide a great work environment and culture for the people is evident.

7 June 2020
Thank you for your review. We're most proud of our great team of people, and it's fantastic to hear that you feel the same way.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FirstService Residential, British Columbia. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement