FirstOntario Credit Union

FirstOntario Credit Union Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
Good place to work but minimal hours
Overall great place to work. The only downside are the hours. I only worked a few hours a week at some points. You are expected to go to different branches.
Excellent
Loved everything about working here. Workers were so welcoming and supportive. Great training and amazing work environments. Would highly recommend working here.
I love working for first Ontario. It's so team oriented and everyone care for each other and have each other's back. It's not a sales driven place like big banks. Of course there is still sales but promote what's actually good for you.. pay is better then big banks as well.
Pros
Supportive, team oriented, room for advancement, unionized
Cons
Takes usually years to get full time permanent
Branch Manager has no banking experience
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers, very friendly.
The hardest part of the job is the Manager shows favoritism and leave other staff excluded
Great place to work, great people! Environment of this company for working is best. No working pressure on employees.Supports ongoing learning and development.
Good people. A lot of change. Advancement opportunities good salary and benefits. Active in the community. Faces some challenges keeping up with technology and retaining good talent.
Poor management
Union is a joke and does not help you at all. Seniority staff are rude and if you are new, forget even thinking about trying to book a day off for an appt etc. Managers of branches never around when help is required.
Cutting edge technology workplace
A behind the scenes IT workshop with cutting edge technology and great opportunity for learning new skills. I learned about the interconnection between a central IT location and traveling to branches to provide service to them.
Work Life Balance
Great place to work, great people and worked on a regulatory project working as a PM, BA, Technical BA, and Data Analyst, compiling data from various lines of business and stored the data in an SQL based back-end tables
Great Work/Life balance
They definitely respect their employees and their commitment to the community. Fun culture and a great place to work.35 hour work week is a great bonus.
Finally some changes coming hopefully good ones
Past 5 years have gone downhill. Board has been disconnected from reality or just had been misinformed. Executive hire and promote their friends. Skill and knowledge have little to do with job title. Front 'll e and middleanahers have no opportunity to move to higher positons as they do all the work fpr the upper management so they look good. Upper managemt enjoys an abundance of social activities at local venues. These venues provide access to upper management because of sponsorship money. These funds are actually member funds but little respect is given to that pary of the credit union concept.
Pros
Wages are satisfactory but stay at frontline work status
Cons
Poor and selfish management. They are very selfcentred and entitled
Friendly staff excellent place to work such a caring warm environment.
The best part of the job is the people you work with everyone is there to help you grow and do better in your career.
I was a summer student and had a great time working with FirstOntario. Everyone helped me as I got started and encouraged me once I had a handle of things.
Great place to work!!
Great Team atmosphere!
The Credit Union way is the Personal side of banking....you are not just a number.

Customer service is number 1.

Usually pay higher than the big banks
Pros
wage; atmosphere
Cons
open Saturdays
management
the regional directors have no clue what they are doing. company policies are created only when mistakes are made. no opportunity for company advancements.
Great place to work. Good group of staff.
Great place to work. Supportive environment.
Good training. Management is helpful and willing to assist you to the next level, whatever that may be. The members are great to work with. Very patient all around, especially when you are new. Very helpful even for the seasoned Vets, who may forget.
Financial Institution
Ontario Credit Union. Reputable Financial Institution. Involved in community and local financial development. Very serious regarding their brand. Guided by a board of directors.
Welcoming and supportive environment
A typical day changed depending on my role, but I would organize my appointments, research the members current patterns before meeting, speak in depth about their needs and goals, and discuss solutions with them as well as my superiors when needed.
I learned to manage and prioritize my time, meet deadlines while communicating with all necessary parties, and to make cold calls
Pros
Ongoing support and development from management, job security, good employee atmosphere
Cons
Launching changes to the workplace organization without looking at the impact to staff or members
Great co-workers
I'm a team player and this was a great team. I still miss these guys. This was a part time job to supplement my college tuition, and wasn't my dream job, but I have nothing negative to say about this job because of the culture!
Pros
Flexible hours and great co-workers
Cons
Not my dream job.
Awesome team.
Worked on some client branch support. Great health benefits and solid infrastructure. Weekly meetings were very helpful. Tools needed for job were provided.
Pros
Great team, starting 3 weeks vacation.
Cons
Office location is isolated
Don’t waste your time with this one
Branch managers don’t do their jobs, no coaching provided, no performance feedback.
Only part time positions available. Inefficient Union, not there to do anything but collect fees from part time employees to benefit full time employees. Union rep is a joke, she does nothing to benefit the employees.

Impossible to find assistance to do your job right. Training is minimal and poor at best.

The banking system is prone to error and requires frequent cutting and pasting of information. This allows for frequent errors and lack of customer service.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Terrible experience