First United Church Community Ministry Society

First United Church Community Ministry Society Employee Reviews

Canada8 reviews
It’s a special place; many people (clients and staff) said they felt a calling to be there. Strong sense of community, people look out for one another. Never a dull shift.
The wages at this place are pretty embarrassing I would not get out of bed to work here and turn over rate is unbelievable the shelter itself reminds me of the balmoral hotel.
First United has been working hard to stabilize the workforce, bringing in better benefits and developing fair and ethical procedures. DTES is a tough place to work in some ways but it can be rewarding. Unfortunately, like many nonprofits, finances can fluctuate, which adds uncertainty.

The work can be very rewarding and the people are great.
At first united church you will come in contact with hundreds of people who just need someone to listen to.

everyone just needs someone to listen to them.

a typical day can be anywhere from nothing happening from 6 over doses, 5 fights happening in one day.

hardest part of the job is watching people that you connect with die from the disease of Addiction.

most enjoyable is seeing people smile
I was on a 2-work experience for my Administrative Assistant course from Vancouver Community College. While I was working there they provided me with the experience to help me see what it is like to work on a office environment.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Clientelle
As a new employee at First United Church Community Ministry Society, I have been treated with the utmost respect and kindness. Although it is my first experience working on the DTES, the collaborative and supportive team culture provides the perfect venue to do purposeful work in an open, accepting and inclusive environment. Each day, I see the live demonstration of the organizational values of dignity, respect, trust, justice and empowerment.

There are new leaders coming on board and each are here to serve the employees as well as the community members. This place is an oasis in a challenging neighborhood. Everyone is valuable and are treated as such. I am extremely grateful to be part of an exceptionally high functioning team and organization. If it is your purpose to help humanity, make a difference in the world and support social justice, First United is the place to live it each day.

A big thank you out to the amazing staff who make a positive difference for people, every moment!
The Church was set up as a homeless shelter in the heart of the downtown east side Vancouver. The work was hard with occasional hazards. It could be quite emotional just because of our clientele and their struggles but supporting them in any way possible makes every single second of it worth it.
I was worried when I walked through the door. Not about them or the location, but about my abilities to fulfil my duties. As a practicum student I was not confident yet. I needn't have worried, anything I didn't know they were more then happy to help with. I had no idea how much this organization does to help people. I feel so lucky to have gone there and have so much respect for them.
Pros
the staff, the understanding and help they offer, the feeling of satisfaction of knowing I made a difference.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at First United Church Community Ministry Society?