First Student

First Student Employee Reviews

Canada339 reviews
I enjoy my job as I go to different locations to help and instruct, and diagnose any issues.
Only complaint is LM ( loc manager ) , they want control of everything, and tend to overturn the shop managers and not help in any way, causing friction .
I was responsible to make sure that every morning my bus was road ready. I would spend about 20 minutes doing a full inspection on my bus. when you are responsible for the lives of many people every day you can not take safety for granted. management was very knowledgeable in there training to have me ready to do my job in the best way. I enjoyed driving my kids to school every day, the hardest part was leaving when the business closed down.
great management. dispatch are nice. fully support with office. the route is straight forward but the working hours is around 4-5hrs a day. if you want to earn more money, you have to ask for extra runs or asking for work in office.
Pros
flexible
Cons
working hours are too low, but you can ask for extra work
Company has been downsizing and is not investing in growth, only immediate profit. Constantly needing busses to meet contract requirements and drivers are not trained properly
This company looks after ther staff and buses but manigement needs some improvement the bus are all new and good roots.
but still need adjustments so.
Pros
good perks
Cons
not very forth comming
A very Good company with defined procedure. Take cares of employees in all respect. Management staff is very polite.

I enjoyed working with the company. They provide good training to its drivers and there are also opportunity to grow for different position.
School Busses are in bad shape, Break Problems, Steering Problems, Bald Tires, Fuel Tank Leaks, Engine Fumes leaking into the Bus well driving and parts of the bus falling off well you are driving.

You have to perform other duties without being paid for, IE: Bus Fueling, Bus washing.

Poor Management from the top down.

Stay as far away from this company as possible.

Started with First Studen in July 2014 and ended on June 2019, they lost another contract and will only continue to lose contracts due to the poor service and poor Manage that they offer both the employees as well as the School Boards
Pros
Met some really nice School Bus Drivers over my 6 Years with First Student
Cons
Poor working conditions, Dangerous Busses, Poor Management, underpaid
First student is a great company to work for. If you love kids and are patient, this is a great job. The company atmosphere is great and very helpful with any issues you have. On the job you have full independence. The only downfall is the mechanics think and treat you like they have far more superiority than you, and you are an idiot...lol. you don't have to deal with them if you don't want to.
You think....
They will always need school bus drivers

Who else would want to do this job

I don't need to worry about losing my job

Cannot keep customers (schools and other charter contracts)

which means less jobs and lack of extra work
Pros
Lots of days off, Split shifts
Cons
Management, Parents, Roads, Traffic
If you want to be treated like an individual that is not appreciated, valued, or has any dignity, than you should work here for First Student. This company does not care for employees, so do what others do and fill out pappepwork for extra time. This is how everyone gets around poor management.
one of the worse branches to work for. If you’re not liked or in the click, will not receive any additional work and only get routes that pay base rate no matter how far you drive.
Pros
Not having to work evenings, weekends or holidays.
Cons
Management having favourites and do not live up to verbal commitment s
Good place to work. Enjoyable to work with the kids and the management is helpful.
This company used to be great many years ago when there were Canadians running the company and actually cared about there employees. Now the company is run by someone who broke the law in Nova Scotia and they got hired to run First Student. We do background criminal checks -- hiw come managemtn doesn't have to go through any??????
Pros
nothing at all
Cons
worst management ever
You’re basically your own boss, only thing is if you don’t do charters you’re really only getting paid working 4 hours a day, and that’s if school is open, you don’t get paid when school isn’t running, you can take your child with you which is nice
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Circle checks in extreme cold, no a/c in warm weather, early mornings
Can't understand the recent high ratings given by Calgarians. First Student recently lost two major contracts in Calgary. Aging fleet. Lots of breakdowns.Not disgruntled. Just truthful.
The job was good working with family time etc But as many places these days not enough staff to properly and efficiently fulfill all the requirements. Training was great at first but lacking over the later years. Staff was friendly and helpful. But was a lack of appreciation and recognition in a lot of cases. Not always the best attitude if you have to call in sick because it does happen to us all.
Pros
Being able to balance work and family life.
Cons
Working in non air conditioned vehicle
worked for two years in canada enjoyed my time wouldn’t think twice about going back had to return to England due to family commitments . They a great employer
Pros
flexible hrs to suit life style
its a good company have a very good work life balance enough holiday. only monday to friday daytime job and also get all the summer off as the schools are off.
Loved my Boss... he was constant and vigilante to improve our jobs and to run interference with corporate..
I hated First Student.... 10+ years for them. If it wasnt for my boss I wouldnt have made it a year.
Pros
its a job.. free traing.. decent pay
Cons
to much corperate stupid ...
Good place to work. Co workers have good advice for new employees and help is just a radio call away.
Rules dont change. So consistency makes things easy to deal with.

Zonar and cameras on the bus helps you to have your backside covered.

Training program is top rate with instructors always willing to answer and explain things.
Pros
Consistent hours . Great supervisors and training program
Cons
No benefits. Only 4 hours of work s day
This company is owned by a UK company and they do not care about Canadian employees. You don’t get paid what you are supposed to. You work extra hours and do not get minimum wage. Horrible management that is non-existent when you want to ask about your pay.
Pros
Students you drive
Cons
Management from other country