First Student Employee Reviews

Not ideal place to work since the union came in
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2018
They don’t pay overtime (if you cover other people’s runs). They still owe me money from extra work I did and refuse to pay. The only benefit of working here is you are on the same schedule as your kids but having them with you on a 90 minute bus ride morning and afternoon is a bit much, especially with no air conditioning in plus 30 weather!
Cons
No air conditioning on buses. Buses break down all the time
Worst Place to Work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 June 2018
Let me start by saying there is whole lot of unpaid time. Time to move other buses out of the way to take your bus out. Time to clean the snow off your bus. They say the vehicle inspection is "built in", I don't know how, because the time on the pay cheque makes not sense if it is "built in" (they don't pay you for it), stuck in traffic? too bad no extra pay. This company does not care about the employees. Management is always talking about employees in a disrespectful manner, and forget about charter runs unless your in the favorites group. There are so many part time jobs that pay for your time. At first student, you will not make over $7.00/hour if you calculate the bus cleaning, snow removal, moving other buses out and traffic.
Pros
They train you for free
Cons
Terrible pay, favourtism, no respect for drivers, dispatchers take the best routes for themselves
Very Dedicated
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON9 June 2018
Even though I have only been there a short time I have enjoyed being part of the team of drivers. The kids are a blast to drive around from home to school.
Great place to work for!
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 June 2018
Love working at First Student Canada, most enjoyable job I have had in my short working career. They are great for those not looking to work long hours but have positions available that are full-time.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Short Hours (which is great for my personal needs)
Ongoing leaning
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2018
You are responsible for bus after hire, to keep vehicle road ready.
The maintenance of the vehicle remains with the company.
If you have never driven a large bus before be assured you will be trained fully confident with the bus before being set loose.
Always remember your training, the height of the bus, the turning ratio, the stopping procedures, the awareness around you of other vehicles, your speed and the safety of the students.
Pros
Learn to drive something other than a car.
Cons
The pay is low, compared to the responsibility
Good place to work if you have a wife/husband or supplementary income
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 May 2018
Company was an okay place to Work Management could be a little bit more compassionate with their co-workers.

Certain management staff could be changed and let go like I said it's a-okay company
Not for everyone
Driver (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB8 May 2018
Economy booming shortage of drivers- Recession- shortage of drivers. WHY? Live time payment- you will work for nothing, not for all of your time on duty. Student management issues- lack of driver support. If your not a Club member- no extra work, longer routes for you. Extreme favortism in this industry.
Pros
Suitable for self employed individuals, stay at home mom's or retiress
Cons
Big boys club, if your not a member, lack of support or extra work
Good people Poor managment
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB30 April 2018
Managment are not affraid to stab you in the back you dnt fit into the little groups. Mist drivers are okay just be carful what you say and do and people well switch it around.
Pros
Good friends
Cons
managers, pay
Better than a lot of jobs
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 April 2018
I love being a bus driver with First Student. I've been with them for almost one school season. There is some unpaid time - moving buses out of the way to get out of the parking lot, for example, but I don't mind. I like this job because I haven't had any negative experiences (so far). Everyone's been kind to me (so far). I have a lot of fun with the kids and my coworkers, even management! This is a great part time job/supplement to other work if you need to make more money. It's not enough money to live on, as it's only part time, but it's great as a supplement ... and I think of it as a hobby, honestly. For me, I don't have any kids, so it's great to get to know some and be outside roaming around on my route. The one concern I have is the potential to get hurt in an accident while driving ... but that hasn't happened (it's the same risk with driving any kind of vehicle).

I learned a new skill this year, and I have had a lot of funny experiences with the kids and some great coworkers.
Pros
Great if you enjoy driving, and enjoy kids.
Cons
Not enough pay to live on.
Fun place to work
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 April 2018
Good company to work for. The schedule is nice having time off during the day and you are allowed to bring your children on the bus so it is great for stay at home mothers
Pros
Time off
Cons
Summers off with no pay
to much office drama
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2018
god forbid you make anyone mad in the office and to many staff relationships causes to much conflict. if you keep your head down and just do your job it is alright. just don't make anyone mad
Pros
great for work/life balance
Cons
major office politics
Loved my job
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 March 2018
Loved my job, I learned many things and my coworkers are all very friendly & nice. I was responsible for ordering parts, returns, picking up parts. Shop manager assistant, I did what was needed to be done. Due to downsizing and restructuring my job was eliminated, so sad because I totally loved it, and it certainly wasn't for the pay. I learned many things about buses, parts, inventory processes
Pros
Full time, great people
Cons
Not best wages, head office had most control being in usa it was different in Canada they didn't understand that
Kincardine
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kincardine, ON8 March 2018
I worked at the Kincardine location (for three years). The manager has now changed. I liked the manager and the other people I worked with (there were some pretty great mechanics too :) )
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Winter Weather
First student
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2018
I don't have a lot of things to talk about this company. working with the kids was wonderful, however, the company was not paying drivers the time they work on the bus. they were only paying when you pick the first child until the time you drop the last child from the bus. In short, you could work 6hours per day and paid only 2 to 3 hours per day.
Not Worth the Time
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 March 2018
If your not one of the "favorites" you will get the worst routes and charters. Not worth the time for the pay. They tell you it is $17/hour, not true, you will be cleaning snow and doing your circle check for longer and to get out of the crowded lot, you will need to move buses out of your way. The time they calculate for your route is grossly underestimated. If your in traffic its your problem they set the pay based on what the route time will be in no traffic. The benefits is equal to none. Management is a joke. The parking lot is crowded and their expectations for the pay is ridiculous. Come on your own time to clean snow for an hour and move buses blocking your bus to go on your route. Go to Swiss, better working conditions, better buses, and great culture!
Pros
Cons
Management, setup, culture
fellow workers great to interact with
Driver (Former Employee) –  Beamsville, ON9 February 2018
First student trained me for my B license which was thorough and comprehensive .The trainers were very good and all of the training especially the defensive driving serves me well every day.
Pros
free time
Cons
split shifts
Bad equitment.
School-Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 January 2018
Not very good management they don't look after the equipment. Lots off breakdowns will transporting students to school and back home. They have old busses ....!
Pros
good hours
Cons
old broken Busses!
Paid in Mileage not Hourly
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 January 2018
Work isn't paid hourly. The average run gets $52 a day for 5+ hours of time. Spilt shifts only left 3.5-5 hours in between. If a bus needed to go in for repairs you would often have to wait and that time wasn't paid. A bonus is they allow you to park at home or somewhere nearby (as long as it doesn't cost).
Fun and exciting job
School bus driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 December 2017
Driving passengers from point A to B
Learnt dealing with customers
Management was very helpful and considerate
Culture of the workplace was laidback
Hardest part of the job was to be able to work in all weather conditions.
Pros
learning everyday
Cons
working in all weather conditions
Excellent job to interect with kids of all ages.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Caledon, ON1 December 2017
wonderful management team, its really a fun to work with people of all ages n different cultures.I really learned a lot from this job.The hardest part of job is the snowey mornings!Its really hard to heat up the bus in chilling -20 to -30 degree celsius. Most enjoyable part is interecting with sweet n cute kids n wonderful n caring parents.Really wanna refer this job for retirees n moms with very young kids.
Pros
can take our own kids on work
Cons
part time only

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.