First Student

First Student Employee Reviews

Canada329 reviews
Ok place to work. People are great. Work is enjoyable.
Kids are wonderful. Driving is enjoyable.
Everything else is fine.

Good experience.

Initial training and orientation is very challenging and long but in the long run is good.
Fit my family life
Hardest part of job is dealing with difficult co workers, and sometimes troubled children. I have chosen this type of work because it fit my life with my family.
Supportive Work Environment
I really enjoyed driving for First. I felt like I was appreciated as an employee. As a mother of two children it was a relief to have a job that I could take them with me to.
Pros
You can bring your children with you to work, You have 5 hours of time in the middle of the day to get things done at home
Cons
Shorter hours than average
Overall did the job
Overall it was a good company to work for enjoyed being able to have my child with me at work. There was some job uncertainty every year but it's a long as you did your job you are always welcome back the next year.
Happy to work there.
First Student is a fun place to work, the staff was like an extended family and had lots of fun. Really enjoy driving the kids to and from school in my big bus.
Bad Culture
The Calgary area has seen a lot of bad things happen in the past few years. There has been new management, mostly absent management and make all decisions about numbers and don't care about people. There is a growing legion of people leaving the company. Does anyone do stats on people leaving????
A days work
Overall was great ,but had to learn routes very fast or no patience .crowded,parkingng,rllalso very hard working threw winter cold very icing in parking lots.y had to work at getting a 30 ft bus out.
Productive and enjoyable place
I enjoyed interacting with the students that I picked up and drove from home to school. The workplace was enjoyable. Dealing with the driving of the general public was the hardest part of the job.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at First Student?
Interview was good
I enjoyed working with first student. having a steady route for 10 yrs was able to bond well with my students . There was no benefits with this company and that was something I needed and I also moved to Yellowknife.
Enjoy working transportating passangers
I have worked and enjoyed 5 years with the bus company. Enjoyed in planning routes, reading the map and working with people. Also I love when I have to drive out of the city.
Very comprehensive training
Very defined way of working, my first time driving as a school bus driver 9 years ago
I was glad to have a job then.

It was union environment which was pretty much laid out.

Fair wages

Comparative
All about the money
When I started there it was a new experience, great people but management always had a hidden agenda. What I mean is, Safety is the number one reason I wanted to work for them but after a year you see it's all about how much money the company can make and falls short on the Safety part. Oh they say that it's the most important thing but you see it's not after a little while. Some of the people in senior positions are two faced, so it's very hard to work and deal with. So I left.
Pros
Some very good mechanics to work with
Cons
Management (lack of trust)
Great part-time opportunity
Love it. Never tied down to a desk. Free to have fun with kids. Safety meetings are light and fun. Training provided. Great addition to CPP or ODSP. Flexible
Good place for me to work
I started at the bottom working my way up, driving different school bus route, industrial busette, federal freight liner , MCI motor coach, Also driving fire crew, hockey team, senior and school trip , they help me get my classe 2 with air break at the beginning , the management to me were always friendly and flexible always there when I need help , that’s Whitecourt I couldn’t talk for other first student set up!
I drove bus for special needs kids which was stressful
All the jobs that I did were stressful and fast-paced that I did to the best of my ability. Most people only drove the bus and never applied for job postings I applied for all postings and received the jobs.
All depends what your job is
Training is very good and safe. You achieve your B licence right on site with written and driving skills being taught.
Safety is very important to them
Work included other bus drivers, students in a workplace with flexible hours
Work included other bus drivers, students in a workplace with flexible hours in the day for personal business. Management was fair and maintained a safe environment for everyone.

Teachers and parents were satisfied with the drivers, dispatchers and other staff.
All things considered, one of the best companies I've ever worked for and I've worked for a lot
Working as a tradesman in Alberta can be a sketchy experience at best, full of highs and lows. The job stability in this province is far too dependent on the current state of oil & gas. That's a non-issue when you work at First Student. There's always good paying work with decent benefits and company contributing RSPs. Lots of company paid training and room for advancement.
Working for First
I have to say this is one of the best jobs I've had ..I had an amazing time working for First Student, the management,trainers as well as other drivers made it such a great place to work .
great for parents with young kids
the coworkers were friendly, the training stafe made learning fun, I found getting support from management was easy, and I loved getting the summers off it is great for parents with young childen.
Good and supportive
It’s a very good environment. They help you a lot. For mother’s they can take their children with them to work, and not to pay for child care. I think that is a great advantage for mothers.