First Nations Health Authority

First Nations Health Authority Employee Reviews

Political, value-oriented, collaborative, stagnant

Most of the individuals I came across at FNHA were smart, dedicated, and extremely liberal. I became concerned with the excessive left-leaning political attitude of the organization over my term at FNHA. The people I came across at operational and management levels were well-intentioned and good-hearted, though very biased and seemingly stuck in viewing things almost exclusively through a traditionally focused lens. For context, I am not First Nations though I am a visible minority. There was too much focus put on decolonization and anti-stigma. My sense was the organization relied heavily on emotional decision-making and optics rather than results generation and actual progress. You may enjoy working here if you enjoy collaboration, a flatter organizational structure, and shared success/failure. You may not enjoy working here if you require competition, rationality, and individualism in your work.

Progressive atmosphere

Progressive, learning environment. Everyone works to advance health and wellness of all First Nations, especially in British Columbia. Lots of perks and support.

Pros

Many lunches

Cons

Good people, never a dull moment

You will be busy from the time you hang up your coat to the time you put your coat back on. The people are really wonderful, and team oriented. The hardest part of the job is you must be self taught, you need to know how to look back into the files and learn from past entries. It is fast paced so be on point. This is a multi-tasking job. You do not just do one thing, you juggle a lot of tasks at once. The most enjoyable part is the people you will work with, and meet here are really cool, and will be good companions.

Pros

Working with good people

Cons

THEY have you take a million courses ON TOP of doing your work.

Horrible. Toxic. Dysfunctional.

As an Indigenous person with a Masters degree, I was treated like garbage. I had five different managers over the course of five years there, all were incompetent bullies. I was denied promotions because of my pregnancy and demoted when I got back from maternity leave. Management is a joke, completely dysfunctional and their bottleneck of decision-making and incompetence leads to little meaningful action to improve policy or practice. All the good people leave from burnout or because they are tired of being bullied. Don’t waste your time. Their HR department protects the managers and executives and will fire you without cause; their finance department is slow and makes frequent mistakes. Their policy and planning team is a bottleneck and gets nothing accomplished. Their regional teams are swamped and micro-managed by central office.

Pros

Occasional access to cultural events and supports

Cons

Toxic and dysfunctional across the whole organization

Awesome place awesome people

awesome people, great place to work, take wellness seriously, perfect work/life balance that is respected and adhered to, no micro-managers, free massages, traditional healers, palm readers at company events

Pros

the people

Cons

can get busy at times

Was ideal for hiring indigenous in data collection

It was a pleasure to work with First Nation Health Authority for it's dedication to to Indigenous Health in BC. It's quickly morphed into a organization with clout, that everyone gravitates toward. Now people flock to FNHA for employment and job security, including many non indigenous. I attended Gathering Our Voices conference in Port Alberni, which is a youth gathering. It would have been nice for those youth to see an indigenous person working at the FNHA table, as a show of solidarity. Other than that I think that FNHA is doing well for the community, to the best of it's ability as a organization.

I was looking for more employment opportunities with FNHA

A typical day started with taking files, reviewing, calling clients, activating files and/or pursuing more information. electronically filing paperwork once file is complete. What I learned was how supportive management can be, and to lean on others when support is needed. Workplace culture, FNHA is community driven and focuses on nation based approaches. Driven by principles and recognizing historic traumas of the indigenous population. The most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with clients on the phone.

Team work was excellent, communication

Would love to go back to work for them, liked to travel to different communities, work place was amazing and the people I worked with was excellent, Team effort

First Nations deserve better

FNHA is struggling and needs to take a hard look at its organisational culture. Harassment and bullying carry on with impunity and good people do not stay. The high staff turnover is detrimental to the already patchy health services accessible to First Nations. It is true that the organisation is changing and evolving quickly, but there is no organisational learning or honest internal evaluation taking place because of an atmosphere of fear, blame and passive aggressive lateral violence.

Not much good to say

Executive is toxic leading to organizational toxicity. Unfortunate as good work needs to be done. A poor work climate which includes harassment and bullying right from the top.

Jobs at First Nations Health Authority

See more jobs

Perspective please

When you consider the context within which this organization is attempting to flourish you soon realize what an amazing job everyone is doing. Is it a tough place to work? Yes. Is the pay amazing? Not really. Are there kinks to work out? Of course. No pre-existing model exists and the organization is young. It has accomplished a lot so far. Ask yourself if you wish to help improve bc First Nations health and well-being. If you answered “yes” this is the place for you.

Just great

One of the best places to work. Great people and and overall a fun place to work. Job is great and relaxed pace so you are able to meet your people at where they are at.

VP fostered negative working relationships

VP publicly made fun of staff and appeared to enjoy teaming up on others. They didn't collaborate well internally with teams from other units, which created silos and disfunction throughout the organization. They also didn't work well with external partners, causing internal & external frustration, affecting FNHA's reputation. They also didn't respect work life boundaries, emailing staff on weekends and holidays.

Poor Management

Unstable and inconsistency in senior management. There is high turn over. Managers are not given the authority to make decisions.Employee engagement is very low due to the lack of leadership. Politically charged environment.

Management needs to go to the drawing board

My goal is not to discourage anyone from joining the FNHA but to create awareness, however, stonished how the company has survived. Nothing "kind of" makes sense. As far as organizations go, you won't find much that is done right. e.g. business planning, technology planning, decision making, service delivery, program management, organization, etc..Internal surveys show a very low level of job satisfaction among employees. A word of advice to Joe, First Nations Values are great to uphold so far as you don't compromise the delivery of much-needed services to those who are in need. In my view, everything must be geared to improve by adopting modern business practices (continues improvement) in creating strategies that would lead to increased efficiency and service delivery. Most of the regions are still practicing outdated ways to connect with their clients without having any means to collect and use the information for vertical and horizontal communication and to draw meaningful program data to measure success or failure. Other business areas are barely surviving.

Good for students

Managers, who continuously work against the team - do you really want to be part of this? They scratch their humongous ego every single day to a point where you are left to wonder why are you coming to work? Decisions based on politics with close to zero reasoning. Gigantic lack of communication between managers and employees and between departments.

Pros

work/life balance

Cons

bad management

Great work place

Great work environment and place to learn. Staff are genuine and a pleasure to work with. Very unique work environment compared to other work places. Very professional

Productive environment and great health benefits.

Nice place to work. Used to feel import for help First Nation community and participate in the events and culture. Visiting communities. Management was the main reason I left the company.

Pros

Cons

Current Management

with the right team, it's a great opportunity for growth

My first Director and Manager were amazing, my time in that position I was able to thrive because they believed in my skills to achieve any challenge they put in front of me

Good

Good organization to work. Recommend it as it gives opportunities to try out other areas and has a lot of diversity and culture within the organization.

Good

Good Experience to be a part of. Great company and people. Challenging since there are alot of work and projects you will be involved with. Great Staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Nations Health Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4Job security/advancement

Compare First Nations Health Authority with

• First Nations Health Authority
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?