First Nations Health Authority

First Nations Health Authority Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
Political, value-oriented, collaborative, stagnant
Most of the individuals I came across at FNHA were smart, dedicated, and extremely liberal. I became concerned with the excessive left-leaning political attitude of the organization over my term at FNHA. The people I came across at operational and management levels were well-intentioned and good-hearted, though very biased and seemingly stuck in viewing things almost exclusively through a traditionally focused lens. For context, I am not First Nations though I am a visible minority. There was too much focus put on decolonization and anti-stigma. My sense was the organization relied heavily on emotional decision-making and optics rather than results generation and actual progress. You may enjoy working here if you enjoy collaboration, a flatter organizational structure, and shared success/failure. You may not enjoy working here if you require competition, rationality, and individualism in your work.
Was ideal for hiring indigenous in data collection
It was a pleasure to work with First Nation Health Authority for it's dedication to to Indigenous Health in BC. It's quickly morphed into a organization with clout, that everyone gravitates toward. Now people flock to FNHA for employment and job security, including many non indigenous. I attended Gathering Our Voices conference in Port Alberni, which is a youth gathering. It would have been nice for those youth to see an indigenous person working at the FNHA table, as a show of solidarity. Other than that I think that FNHA is doing well for the community, to the best of it's ability as a organization.
I was looking for more employment opportunities with FNHA
A typical day started with taking files, reviewing, calling clients, activating files and/or pursuing more information. electronically filing paperwork once file is complete.
What I learned was how supportive management can be, and to lean on others when support is needed.

Workplace culture, FNHA is community driven and focuses on nation based approaches. Driven by principles and recognizing historic traumas of the indigenous population.

The most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with clients on the phone.
Team work was excellent, communication
Would love to go back to work for them, liked to travel to different communities, work place was amazing and the people I worked with was excellent, Team effort
First Nations deserve better
FNHA is struggling and needs to take a hard look at its organisational culture. Harassment and bullying carry on with impunity and good people do not stay. The high staff turnover is detrimental to the already patchy health services accessible to First Nations. It is true that the organisation is changing and evolving quickly, but there is no organisational learning or honest internal evaluation taking place because of an atmosphere of fear, blame and passive aggressive lateral violence.
Not much good to say
Executive is toxic leading to organizational toxicity. Unfortunate as good work needs to be done. A poor work climate which includes harassment and bullying right from the top.
Perspective please
When you consider the context within which this organization is attempting to flourish you soon realize what an amazing job everyone is doing. Is it a tough place to work? Yes. Is the pay amazing? Not really. Are there kinks to work out? Of course. No pre-existing model exists and the organization is young. It has accomplished a lot so far. Ask yourself if you wish to help improve bc First Nations health and well-being. If you answered “yes” this is the place for you.
Just great
One of the best places to work. Great people and and overall a fun place to work. Job is great and relaxed pace so you are able to meet your people at where they are at.
VP fostered negative working relationships
VP publicly made fun of staff and appeared to enjoy teaming up on others. They didn't collaborate well internally with teams from other units, which created silos and disfunction throughout the organization. They also didn't work well with external partners, causing internal & external frustration, affecting FNHA's reputation. They also didn't respect work life boundaries, emailing staff on weekends and holidays.
Poor Management
Unstable and inconsistency in senior management. There is high turn over. Managers are not given the authority to make decisions.Employee engagement is very low due to the lack of leadership. Politically charged environment.
Management needs to go to the drawing board
My goal is not to discourage anyone from joining the FNHA but to create awareness, however, stonished how the company has survived. Nothing "kind of" makes sense. As far as organizations go, you won't find much that is done right. e.g. business planning, technology planning, decision making, service delivery, program management, organization, etc..Internal surveys show a very low level of job satisfaction among employees. A word of advice to Joe, First Nations Values are great to uphold so far as you don't compromise the delivery of much-needed services to those who are in need. In my view, everything must be geared to improve by adopting modern business practices (continues improvement) in creating strategies that would lead to increased efficiency and service delivery. Most of the regions are still practicing outdated ways to connect with their clients without having any means to collect and use the information for vertical and horizontal communication and to draw meaningful program data to measure success or failure. Other business areas are barely surviving.
Good for students
Managers, who continuously work against the team - do you really want to be part of this? They scratch their humongous ego every single day to a point where you are left to wonder why are you coming to work? Decisions based on politics with close to zero reasoning. Gigantic lack of communication between managers and employees and between departments.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
bad management
Great work place
Great work environment and place to learn. Staff are genuine and a pleasure to work with. Very unique work environment compared to other work places. Very professional
Productive environment and great health benefits.
Nice place to work.
Used to feel import for help First Nation community and participate in the events and culture. Visiting communities.

Management was the main reason I left the company.
Pros
Cons
Current Management
with the right team, it's a great opportunity for growth
My first Director and Manager were amazing, my time in that position I was able to thrive because they believed in my skills to achieve any challenge they put in front of me
Good
Good organization to work. Recommend it as it gives opportunities to try out other areas and has a lot of diversity and culture within the organization.
Good
Good Experience to be a part of. Great company and people. Challenging since there are alot of work and projects you will be involved with. Great Staff.
Great work culture
Great learning opportunities within the organization, excellent work environment and collegues. There is scope of growth in the career with employee benefits
Warning!!! To avoid it!!!
This 'Organization' rather 'Desorganized' that should normally work to improve the health through welness is rather a big joke unfortunately funded very well! Powder to the eyes to please politicians in lack of arguments!

The HA of FNHA means High Anarchy !!! A false harmonious and peaceful but disrespectful and sometimes hateful place!

Experienced, skilled, recognized professionals of public or mental health and the very competent people endowed with expertise, innovation and passion end up leaving often after having been humiliated or disciminated and sometimes intimidated or harassed by incompetent and inexperienced people, sometimes from the same groups and coalitions of ignorants people knowing each others, little stupid families of mafia, able to brave the limits of normal practices permitted by conventions and laws and capable of everything to keep their places and jump high in hierarchy.

This organization is just about money and beneficts, a true jungle and bad theater play where honesty, public and mental health experience and competency do not have any place.
Pros
The first days: Your passion to think you are helpful in new CA iniative
Cons
An early awakening in hell
Going downhill - I do not recommend
I recommend everybody to read "Federal audit reveals problems with B.C. First Nations Health Authority" on the Globe and Mail website.
I found as a non-First Nations with a Masters Degree I could not advance upwards. So I went elsewhere.

I will leave my review at that.
Fnha 2
long days when meeting with regions
no advancement

management no experience and not aware of changes

toxic work culture

I enjoyed the communities and members
Pros
toxic
Cons
salary