First National Financial

First National Financial Employee Reviews

Canada47 reviews
Interesting exploration of commercial mortgage industry
I worked in a specialized field that allowed insight to compliance with investors and governing bodies, allowing for a better understanding of the business/industry.
Pros
Occasional free lunches, social events
Cons
Salaried employment (no overtime): while business hours were set, completion of work essential.
19 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. At First National, we value the feedback of our employees. First National follows a detailed process in establishing our compensation guidelines and ranges, using market data and an internal job evaluation process with the goal of having a compensation program that is externally competitive and internally consistent. First National’s policy for the approval and payment for hours worked in excess of regular hours is available on the company Intranet. We encourage you to reach out to a member of the HR team to review both of these items.
Relaxed work environment with standard Monday-Friday hours and a good work-life balance.
A typical day at work consists of a number of emails, maybe a few phone calls and some document reviews. It is a good entry-level position in the mortgage industry, which makes it low stress but can be slow at times. The workplace culture is good and everyone is very friendly and enjoyable to be around. The winter months can be quite slow so find other ways to pass the time, especially after lunch.
24 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience and sharing your feedback. We’re glad you’re enjoying your time at First National!
diverse work environment
great morale and great people. flexible and management and understanding.
They promote career objectives and hire within.

overall great experience especially for those who are starting their career, as there is a lot of room to move up in the company.
23 March 2020
Thank your taking the time share your feedback. We are glad you had a great experience working at First National!
Hit or Miss
Training on the job is too disorganized. Some people are trained within the first month by management while others wait 5 months. Environment is very high paced requiring a lot of balance. Overall your manager will make or break your experience.
23 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value your opinion and would like to learn more about your experience. If there are ways for us to improve your experience at First National, please reach out to our HR department.
Family work environment!
FN is a great place to work! I consider my ex-colleagues my work family. If I was still living in Canada I would be working there!
23 March 2020
We’re glad you had a great time at First National. Thank you for the review!
Positive culture
Working at First National was one of my best experiences. Management cares to hear what employees had to say, employee engagement surveys administered every 2 years and taken seriously. Many fun company events. A culture to learn and improve.
6 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. We’re glad you had a great experience at First National!
Overall a fun place to work and they treated their staff great.
I am a morning person so I had the opportunity to work from 7:30 to 4 each day. I go in with my coffee and prepare for my day. Prioritizing my workload. Check cabinets for dates of workload and work on the latest days. Most of my job function was to input policies all day, we were given quotas to complete on a daily basis.
Not an exciting position, but it was a job that had to be completed and accurately. Other departments relied on this information as well.did enjoy my job at First National and the people around me were wonderful. Management in my department was a little prejudiced, but overall the company and owners were a pleasure to work with and socialize.
Excellent place to start and finish a career
FN offers flexibility, and lots of opportunities to move up the ladder and improve yourself. They have online courses you can take, and will pay for certain education if you are looking to improve yourself. There are bi-annual activities to participate in, like prizes for the best dressed at halloween. The people are also excellent, as there is very little to almost no office politics. The hardest part of the job is the seasonality, as spring, and summer are always very very busy, and leading into Christmas it can get very slow. That's just par for the mortgage industry though.
30 September 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value your feedback and appreciate the opinions of all employees and are especially pleased when we read positive feedback. Please reach out to our HR department if you wish to share anything in person.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at First National Financial?
Friendly and generic office work place.
I worked in customer service, therefore I was in a high volume and fast-paced environment. The manger there was excellent and there was a great team cohesion.
30 September 2019
We’re glad you had a great time at First National. Thank you for the review!
Set better compensation to attract and retain talent
Great company overall. Company is very supportive with its employees in terms of Life and Work balance which I really liked.
The only thing they lacked on was the compensation part of it all. Other Mortgage companies offer better pay for entry level and Management positions.

Advancement within the company is real, sky is the limit if you are eager.
30 September 2019
We’re glad you had a great time at First National. Thank you for the review! Providing competitive compensation package is something that we at First National take seriously and review on bi-annual basis to ensure it aligns with the industry standards. If you would like to provide any additional details or concerns, please feel free to reach out to our HR department.
Hardworking employees with great attitudes
Great place to work, some departments offer more flexible work options than others, overall competitive compensation..................................
30 September 2019
Thank your taking the time share to your positive feedback. We’re glad you’re having a great experience at First National! The Work from Home program continues to be an initiative that is explored across the company so that we are best balancing the requests from employees while ensuring we deliver the best customer service for each line of business. Please contact the HR team if you are looking for a specific update on Work from Home initiative.
excellent place to work
this is an excellent place to work. Management is very friendly and willing to help you excel . Easy to advance to internal roles after 1 year. Close to Union.
not a good company to work
too much pressure, lake of management. no balance of professional and personal life. very poor management , racist managers.no technical people , can fire any time for no reason
24 May 2019
First National values feedback from employees whether current or past and take concerns seriously. Please contact the HR team to provide details related to your comment so that we can take appropriate next steps.
Great place to work!
First National is truly a great place to work with it's amazing staff, competitive products and ongoing learning. The company is always keeping the staff engaged.
good place to work at
People are nice and professional. It is a team environment. nice office environment, everyone is a team player. Brokers are friendly and easy to work with.
I absolutely love my job at FN. They are true to their word that they hire within and are supportive of advancement opportunities. They even offer job shadowing for other roles while working.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great people, average benefits, they do a lot of charity, they take care of their employees and show a lot of appreciation to us.
Cons
wages can be low.
Do not apply
Terrible place to work if you’re a visible minority- 95% of the people that got fired in the last two years were people of color. The management and their puppets snub and have a negative approach towards people of color (referring to the Montreal office) - an HR department is needed in the Montreal office
Cons
Racism flourish
Pretty Great place to work
Honestly it was an enjoyable work environment once I got a hang of my job! Typical day was pretty relaxed and the people I worked with, especially management were great to have around! They didn't micromanage and sort of let you do your thing.
Pros
Employee Culture
Cons
Commute to get there!
Great company to work for
I worked for there for 4 years. They provide extensive training for every department, job shadowing for any department should you be interested in transferring. There is always room for advancement within one department or in another.
Great place to work if you want a business career
Good opportunities for advancement - you can change positions after one year, level headed management, great location, benefits from the first day. The work itself isn't too interesting but it is steady reliable work.
Pros
free candy
Cons
8:30 to 5:00 shift, squeezing an extra half hour out of your salary
Great work place, lots of incentives, great culture
FN Is a great place to work! There is a lot of opportunity for growth and development which is very much supported by the company. The overall morale & work environment is great.