First Choice Haircutters

First Choice Haircutters Employee Reviews

Canada128 reviews
They dont give you emergency holiday if they are buzy. Your job is secure, you have health benefits. But on the other hand you can only ask for holiday but they have their own rules.
Pros
Satisfying and financially secure
Cons
Emergency one day off is like impossible
I love working here ,

Excellent working environment

Everyone is very understanding and helpful

Good pay and benefits

Good tip money

Everyone is on bored
Pros
Tip money excellent working environments
Cons
Long hours and days
Good management, great franchise owner, district manager good, holidays, Sunday's off, you can have say in shifts or total hours worked, commissions available
Loved my job and the people I worked with. Great team environment. Walk in clientele so always busy. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and hone your craft.
Train your managers to be empathetic, especially when it comes to mental health.
It also sucks that you had to bust your butts to earn a liveable wage
I liked the people I worked with, but the shop itself was really slow, it too many new/walk-in customers. No room for advancing to management positions or supervisor positions. Offered no benefits at this location.
Fast pace salon. Greeting clients. Selling retail. Cleaning, putting away inventory . Problem solving, listening work well with others. Team player great customer experiance.
Pros
Love making people happy
Cons
To hard on the body time for a change fr hairstylist
It was verybusy place,some time we don't had lunch..mostly standing job...but it was nice..deal with different types of people everyday,friendly staff.that was more challenging job..because it was my first job
Whatever they promise their employees completely different from actual working , rude bad management and worse pay , very poor training , there is no team work also stressful place to work
I enjoy my job at first choice haircutters and they are very considerate of personal matters and will work well with you around making a schedule that works best for you, but also don't favor any people
I have very much enjoyed working for this company, and would recommend First Choice to any hairdressers looking for a job. The clients are done to earth and i get along great with the staff.
Great place great staff great coworkers lots of room to grow and easygoing schedules easy to learn and grow your skills constant teachings and advisement.
Love the interaction with customers. Great potential for making more than an hourly wage. It’s a great place to work when everyone works as a team. Highly recommend this for stylists just graduating.
I have loved working at First Choice, I have a great boss who makes coming to work an enjoyable thing, it’s a fast paced business. Where I am able to get experience working with a very diverse clientele and build my costumer service skills
This company is a revolving door for stylists. It doesn’t care about quality or work ethic and hires anyone who applies in order to keep a body in the store. They don’t follow the labour laws and have apprentices working alone with no training. The franchisers won’t pay you properly and will do nothing about it when it’s brought to there attention. If you have any other option - I’d take it over here.
good place to get your start and practice the basic skills. no room for advancement. no work life balance. no hope of making commission.
poor working environment. no time for family or personal health. i spent more time sitting around reading and doing puzzles than i *ever* did cutting or styling hair.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
not allowed to take time off for health reasons
Typical day is taking care of clients hair needs. It is a multicultural work environment. The hardest part of this job was being able to please the customer. the most enjoyment in the job is seeing the clients smiles.
Great place to work, pays higher than minimum wage. Advancement and raises available. Safe and fun work place. The workplace culture is diverse, which allows you to experience new things you may not have before. Management was good all the way through my journey with FCH, as along my path I did become an assistant manager.
Pros
Flexible hours and closed on statutory holidays
Cons
Possibility of having to work different locations, and working split shifts
I used to work there.
My manager made fun of a miscarriage I had. The assistant manager was a rude and horrible person. They pay min wage, expect you to work as fast as possible. They expect you to work on your break. They fired someone I know because she was looking for a new job. They don't care about their staff. The location I worked at bolted the fire door closed so we could not use it if there was an emergency. They only give chemical services to the management staff as that's where the big tips come in. We got in trouble for blow drying clients hair during Canadian winters about a week after we got in trouble for not drying clients hair. You can't win with them. You are literally working in a place that sees you as the trash of the hair dressing world. Owners wouldn't let us run the washer and dryer at the same time because it cut into their vacation money. The managers only give promotions to their hairstylist buddies. Literally the worst place I ever worked, it made me quit hair dressing. I DON'T CARE HOW DESPERATE YOU ARE, DON'T WORK HERE!
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Everything else.
Worked there for many years. Had a great experience. Met lots of great people that still remain friends to this day. Work/life balance. Hourly pay could be better.
Worked at First Choice for the last 11 years. Enjoyed meeting a lot of people. Gained a lot of experience with cutting all different types of hairstyles and textures. Great Environment.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Choice Haircutters. Our community is ready to answer.