First Choice Haircutters Employee Reviews

Very caddy work place
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON25 October 2018
One minute there was no drama, next it was everywhere. Everybody was super shady. Could never understand why the turnover was so high until I was forced to leave. Management was very vindictive and nothing you said was ever safe. Such an awful place to work that I was almost pushed from doing hair. Worked in Port Elgin.
Pros
Bruce power workers, regular clients were great
Cons
Treatment of hard working employees
Hairstylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB17 October 2018
The management at Spruce Grove location treat their employees in a disrespectful and degrading way. They have no concerns for the staff and talk down to them. They set rules in place that they do not follow themselves. There have been several staff there that have been long time employees (9 - 15yrs) that have walked away due to so much stress and anxiety. The owners are not hairdressers and could absolutely careless. Nothing can be dealt with privately with owners or supervisors as they bring store management in and they are the problem. I've worked there years ago where I started down in the USA and the company was wonderful and treated all employees with respect and encouragement. I managed a salon there and in Toronto at one point and know how employees are valuable and the back bone of all companies. I recently started there again for part time employment and was disheartened by what I saw with the full time staff and how hurt and unhappy they were. A lot of these women are single moms trying to make a living and its appalling what they have to endure with no solution in site. I believe this is a franchise location and not a corporate store. Things may be better there.
Not great
JR ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ontario7 September 2018
Horrible place to work if you value the simple things in life such as work life balance and respect. The company only cares about money and clients. I work 9 hours a day and receive one 30 minute unpaid break and yet I’m expected to push more clients through the door with energy and enthusiasm because $400 in daily sales and 32 clients a day isn’t enough.
Pros
Tips
Cons
No time off, low wage, no advancement
Corporate company that is only interested in revenue, does not care about employees
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON31 August 2018
Pros:

You make tips, which is on average $400 a month if you make $20 a day. The company gives you mannequins to practice cutting and coloring with. Stable hours, you get at least 30+ a week, sometimes even more. Walk-in clientele helps you get fast at your haircuts. You get two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch. You get 50% off employee discount every end of the month and 20% off the rest. Friends and family can take advantage of the discount.

Cons:

They schedule you for closing one day and then opening the next day, which doesn't get you enough sleep. Managers barely help with anything. Communication within the company when managers are on holidays are terrible. We are always short-staffed, so sometimes they get you to work at other locations while working your 40+ hours at your own location. They get upset if you call in sick. Comission is only $0.005, so don't get fooled. You'll make so much more somewhere else. They put the same expectations on apprentices as they do licensed and experienced stylists, which is not fair. Your cutting might get fast and you might get to touch clients' hair. right away, but the quality of your work really suffers. No one is there to supervise apprentices. Managers don't give proper constructive criticism and they just tell you your work is great, even though it could use some more improvement. When there are fights between co-workers or between employees and managers, they fight in front of clients. Very unprofessional. When I tried to resign, I was lectured on how I could do so much and make so much money within the company.
  more... They also questioned me as a way of getting me to say things I shouldn't be saying about the company. Not a place for someone who wants to offer great quality service and get paid the price for the quality.

The environment is overall negative and draining. I was already warned by a friend who used to be a manager for the company. I did not listen. Would not recommend for someone who is looking to make it big in the hair industry.
Pros
Paid 15 minute breaks, good tips, steady hours, great employee discounts
Cons
Long hours, barely any time off, terrible management, low commission, horrible training, poor quality work
fast pace workplace
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Exeter, ON22 August 2018
Working in a fast pace atmosphere but gain a lot of experience working one on one with client. I would suggest, standing up for yourself on what you want or need to learn.
productive and fun workplace
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 July 2018
a typical day of work here is somewhat busy and full of things to do. i learned how to help customers and stock shelves, i also took phone calls and scheduled appointments. management was very kind and open. work place culture was very accepting and it was lots if fun getting to know everyone.
Pros
decent break times and close by stores.
Cons
somewhat a small space
first come first served
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 July 2018
taking clients for haircuts, colours, cuts, perms, roller sets, shampoos
it was fun when i had clients who had fun and different requests for different cuts or colours
it was hard when i had clients that were rude and aggressive
Pros
tanning, fun clients
Cons
rude clients, coworkers who didnt help me out
Fast place, fun place to work
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB15 June 2018
Was a busy little salon, i enjoyed working there, how ever the manager did not seem to like me very much. Easy to make commission with all the walk in.
Pros
Lots of walk ins
learning opportunities
Licensed Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 June 2018
I always enjoyed my time working with this company. I was given a chance to learn and grow. This company is a great starting point for someone who has just finished beauty school and wants to gain experience on the floor. Learn and keep up with the latest trends and gain confidence in your stylist abilities.
fun fast pace job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON6 June 2018
First choice haircutters is a great company to work for. they truly love all their employees and want nothing more than their success at work and at life.
not that great
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON9 April 2018
they only care about quality over quantity when it should be the other way around. and the people are not that great and are not helpful when they should be
A typical day at work
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL19 March 2018
Shift need to be more equal, everyone has a life and needs to do thing.. always the same people working 9 to 5 and only one night a week while other work then all..
Pros
Always guaranteed a cheaque
Cons
Lunch breaks
Fch
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON4 March 2018
Excellent experience
Very busy locations allow you to gain more experience with technical abilities and customer service

Company is does not educate staff of the employment standards act. Frowns on time off and lates. Zero benefits , some training, minimum wage, unpaid breaks
Pros
Lots of experience
Cons
Long hours, low pay
My time at First Choice
Hairdresser (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, ON23 January 2018
First Choice was a fast pace environment. Our day involved cutting hair, colouring hair, just serving the client as best as we could possibly do and fulfil all their needs when they come into the salon .It was all about the customer to make sure they would keep coming back. Fist Choice was a team environment. My co-workers and I always worked as a team, whether its to get a second opinion, or just working together with all of our knowledge put together as one to execute the job as best that it can be.
Pros
benefits, always have work, bubbly co-workers
Cons
long hours, work every weekend, short lunches
Fun and friendly place to work.
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON18 January 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at First Choice Haircutters. Colleagues and clients were great and very friendly. Benefits were nice and pay was fairly decent.
Busy place to work
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON4 December 2017
Very busy time goes by fast. It offered benefits which a lot of hairstyling jobs do not. You get breaks on time and sent home if not busy. Equipment supplied.
Pros
Benefits and wage plus commission
Cons
Working every weekend and Sundays
Good place to start
Hairstylist Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Orléans ontario30 November 2017
A great place for those fresh out of school and looking to hone their skills, benefits are absolutely amazing
Management is ok depending on your region and store
Pros
Very busy, great for building clients
Cons
No pre booking, rely only on foot traffic
Was boring.
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Ladner, BC7 November 2017
I loved being a hairstylist but it took all the joy out of being a stylist. Was more of a hair cut and go place. Not much for customer service. Definitely not a place of pride.
Pros
Flexiable hours
Cons
Boring
Major corporation
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON24 October 2017
Huge walk in traffic.. Opportunity for advancement if you want it.
Like any other major corporation, company more focused on making dollars than helping the people that break their backs for them.
Good job
Hairstylist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON12 October 2017
Benefits and good working enviroment. Very busy locations so there is alot of work. Area managers can be brutal at times. Was a minumum amount of money you had to bring in to keep you job. Pretty much the only downfall of the company