First Canadian Insurance Corporation

First Canadian Insurance Corporation Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
First Canadian
They offer great benefits and quite a few vacation days. Their pay isn’t the best but they are a fun company to work for and they constantly changing their benefits and such to meet the needs of the employees.
Good Colleagues, Terrible Management
I worked for this employer for nearly a year. I found my colleagues to be friendly and kind but management could not care less about you personally. I was made to, no joke, get down and clean the floor with paper towels by hand. Management was poorly trained and there is a gossip mill constantly running, management included. Management would also frequently play favourites to those who would tell them the office gossip or snitch to them. I'm not sure about other departments, some managers seemed nice but my department (administration) was horrible. They also expect you to know your job with little to no training. Most of the department was girls under 25 and it was as though I was back in high school. The turnover rate was very high and its no wonder because the pay is abysmal for all the work they ask of you and the way you get treated. I would not recommend this place of work for anyone, unless you want to be treated like you are worthless and not get payed nearly enough.
Pros
Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Horrible Management, Rumour Mill, Poor Pay, High Turnover, Management Favouritism, Poor Benefits
productive
a typical day at work will start at 9am with an agenda meeting with the sstakeholders i learned that team work is key to working in this environmwnt ,
Wonderful Place to Work
I have worked for this company for about two years now, and I am beyond grateful to the management and staff for making this such an amazing place to work. The changes which have been introduced in the past months have really made the disability and life claims department a modern and organized place to work. The job security is amazing and the people/management are lovely. The opportunity here is also so amazing. It truly is a great place to work!
Pros
vacation Days, People
Cons
9-6 Shift, Salary is a little low
Overall your just a body filling a void
Lots of favoritism in this place your liked till about the 3-month mark then you are ignored till you screw up.
Training is nonexistant, supervisors and managers are horrible.

Women are nasty, dress code, can't eat at your desk, can't have anything on your desk unless you are a favorite.

The work is steady and no down time the 9 to 6 shift is so stupid. You get no calls, maybe 1 or 2 a week, other staff leave early and you have no life on that shift unless you have kids then you get the good shifts.

HR is only for mgmt! And if they don't like you! You will know about it.
Pros
vacation days
Cons
horrible benefits, mgmt, hours I could go on
Amazing place to work!
The changes made to the Claims Department in the past 6 months have been incredible!

The change in leadership and re-structuring of the department has resulted in a dynamic and challenging team that I am so excited to be a part of! 4 amazing supervisors who are always available for support and encouragement, combined with challenging and exciting work makes it so easy to come to work every day!

My peers are fantastic to work with and the team environment is thriving under the new leadership! I am so appreciative of the opportunities that are given to me.

Advancement opportunities are based on performance and not length of service, which adds to the strength of the leadership team.

Great work/life balance with ample days off per year, occasional flexibility in shift helps with work/life balance also!

I've found my long term career!
Pros
Leadership, peers, such an amazing environment, challenging work
Cons
9-6 shift
Great employees, recently renovated office, supportive management
FCIC has great vacation time which new employees get to use right away. The department I work for is fast paced and each day is never the same which makes the job fun and engaging. Management is very supportive and is open to new ideas. Our team works very well together and makes for an enjoyable work environment. The office was also recently renovated and has a modern feel. I especially enjoy the converting stand up desks and all the windows.
Pros
Vacation time, renovated building, team environment
Cons
lots to learn very quickly
Big yikes.
My experience with this company was awful. The management was a total dumpster fire. I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody in a million years...
Modern Environment, Great Culture
FCIC's office was recently renovated and includes tons of windows, locally sourced art, stand-up desks, brand new amenities and an employee-only gym opening soon. In my department, my team works closely with management in a culture that is open for collaboration. Work is definitely challenging but we're mostly self-managed with lots of support from peers or upper management when needed. The work is really diverse and priorities can change from day to day or minute to minute.This is NOT a company that is stuck in outdated methods because "if it's not broke, don't fix it." We are encouraged to innovate and come up with new and better ways to accomplish things. I feel like I can voice my opinion or pitch ideas and have them be respected and considered. The office environment and work-life balance are far better than anything my friends outside of the corporation have.
Pros
Vacation time, office environment and culture
Cons
Lots to learn and attention to detail is crucial
terrible compensation
worked there for over a year, bad management, terrible compensation and unappreciated effort. Job is secure since Don Weaton family makes over $400 million profit every year. Not a penny is spent on maintaining work building or improving staff's salary.
Pros
job security
Cons
bad managment and bad leadership
i enjoyed my co-workers
I entered in chemical contracts. I enjoyed the interaction with different companies and people.
I didn't like my direct manager ad she didn't understand or care about family life or when the kids were sick. Also when i brought an issue to her attention she dismissed it and seemed to not care.
Cons
too far from where i live
Even if you're desperate - look elsewhere.
I strongly urge you to not work for this company. The office dynamics are atrocious, gossip, feuds and other dramatic nonsense. The management was non existent, my "supervisor" didn't even know my name even though there were only three of us. My boss? The root of all the problems. I was not given any sort of training, was not told directly of errors I was making. When I told my boss and coworkers I would be requiring their help to learn I was let go. The unfortunate thing is that this is a very common occurrence with this office. During the one month I was employed with them two girls quit midday and walked out with smiles on their faces and many others leaving for better jobs. The people leaving are very helpful, kind and caring. If you work here you'll be working with the people who stay and are the complete opposite of these things with a few rare exceptions. I left with a smile on my face today as well, escorted by my "boss", this being the longest interaction she evee had with me. 😊
Pros
Free bad coffee?
Cons
Terrible office dynamics, no training, no communication, invasion of privacy
this company is all about the bottom dollar... no respect for their employee's
The one important goal to this company is the dollar, the employee's mean nothing. The management in the disability claims department have no issue with publicly reprimanding their employees.
Worst management I've ever dealt with
Without a doubt some of the most incompetent and condescending managers I've ever had the pleasure of working for - at least in the dealer support department.

You'd probably have more job satisfaction picking bottles up at the side of the highway than work for this company.
Pros
you'll get quite a few holidays right off the bat - but need to use for sick days, appointments, etc.
Cons
absolutely horrible management
Management was horrible
No support and training help from anyone.
The manager never left his house, never called to see how his employees were doing,
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Fast pace, lots of upset customers
There is no grey area in this line of work. Either you make someone's year or your break it. Rejected claims or cancellations of rejected claims is never fun. You need a thick skin to work here. But if you are up for the challenge then go for it. Great people and benefits.
Pros
benefits, people
Cons
some managment issues
Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Canadian Insurance Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8