Fire & Flower Inc
Happiness score is 41 out of 100

Fire & Flower Inc Employee Reviews

Canada102 reviews

Great store, mediocre support from head office

The store I worked in was great and the manager was amazing. But Fire & Flower as a whole needs improvement. The core values they rave about seem to mean little to the company. These values include strong team membership, mental health support and building relationships. These all sound great, but the company only cares about money just like everyone else. They want to seem different but they are not.

Pros

Competitive wages, great team members

Cons

Don't care about employees, company sees them as replaceable. Core values don't matter

No training of any kind

With no training prior, tasked with selling and keeping sales high while management cuts hours. Too much work for very little pay as well. Staff gets confused very often on tasks at hand.

Pros

Discount on products

Cons

Management is not under control of tasks

Insights into Fire & Flower Inc

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager

Loved the Banff location, however, wish they offered Full-Time positions

Open the store for about 40 minutes by putting all the Cannabis on the displays, fill any online orders, talk to locals that came into the store and almost served as a hub at times for people to kind of just hang out and chat with us if they were bored or if it were raining outside etc. It was a really fun place to work, the staff was amazing at the Banff location and we all had a great work dynamic. The boss would take us to some outings sometimes like the movies or a park and we would all smoke the newest weed products available, have a fire in the park and hang or go to the movies after eating pizza. There was no hard part of the job for me. The most enjoyable part of the job was the new cool products or brands that would come in, and the brand reps that would tell you about products that you have in-store, as well as my coworkers, and the opening hours.

Pros

Great working hours though that was through COVID, 25% off products and sometimes more with special deals, All the best new products and brands.

Cons

Only part-time options, not a lot of room for growth

Not worth it.

The job started great, with many promises from head office for changes in store. Over two years not a single promise got fulfilled. The communications from higher up were typically difficult to follow, as they used the same business model for every store in Canada, tho the laws change from province to province. Nepotism has a strong presence in this company. They play the absolute WORST music and do not let you change it, even when you hear the same song four times in a shift. I could go much further with the terrible things that come with working at this place but, there was at least one good thing. The best thing( if not the only good thing) I can say about the company is they had a very nice employee discount, which allows employees to smoke more (to cope with having to work for such a soul sucking company).

Pros

Discounts on products

Cons

Terrible communication, toxic work environment, cookie cutter solutions for everything.

Great work place and work environment

I've worked at previous pot shops that were franchised and fire and flower is by far the best shop you can work at. The managers are all very nice and there is a greater sense of security because of the protocols they have in place.

Very chaotic environment

Lots of sketchers employees have shifted over to the cannabis scene in management positions and it’s driving the company to the ground. The cannabis culture has been completely lost and now all they care for is numbers sales and competition. fire and flower was supposed to be an education/tech based company and it lacks those two things the most . Their online system is unreliable, slow and consistently crashingAnd their management comes with no cannabis knowledge therefore the education side is lacking too. If your manager knows nothing bout the product or industry how can you succeed ? Not to mention they’ve been promoting ppl over others whom deserve promotions more due to work results and seniority. Basically. Don’t get excited about this job, as soon as you show interest they take advantage of you giving you more responsibility, less hrs , less employees and for the same pay.

Great Company to work for

The company is very inclusive to all. The staff at my location is very friendly and work well together. As all retail when sales are down hours are cut. Benefits are good for full time. They provide sick days for full and part time.

Pros

Great atmosphere

Cons

Hours are getting cut down

Poor work environment, and a huge lack of leadership!!

Very poor work environment and toxic, they pit staff against each other and literly have children running the store there's no consistency at all most customers are mad they can't find what they need cause a child moves everything daily some staff is rude to customers, terrible hours the boss shows up when she wants, no positivity working there at all, other then the discounts and the poor work environment doesn't make up for the deals!! Very disappointing had to get outta there to an actual team environment!

Super fun job to work, if you can scrounge up the hours.

If you’re really interested in cannabis and like people, you’ll do well here in terms of job satisfaction. I love my job. I get to chat with like-minded people every day, find answers to customer and staff questions, and a lot of merchandising. It’s pretty fast paced - once you get a good concept of how to do something properly and to regulations, they will often change up the standards of practice. The problem with this is that 90% of the staff is part-time with only 1-3 shifts a week, and so it is difficult to get everyone on the same page in terms of accuracy/efficiency/consistency. The responsibilities are heavy with 2 or maaaaybe 3 people (depending on the schedules) to motivate the rest of the team and you have to hope that those people are good at communicating and delegating. I have seen upper management handle HR concerns in my shop, and I was honestly satisfied with how it was handled. There is a stewardship line to report malpractice anonymously and have it investigated. The culture is pretty good within the district, though I’ve noticed it differs depending on the area. Overall, part-time won’t pay many bills, but it also doesn’t feel like work. I enjoy it.

Pros

Fun culture, decent wage, fast paced

Cons

Minimal scheduling, corporate can be overbearing

Environment and Culture

My experience was strange.I worked here for almost a year, staying late and coming in early for meetings several times a week. I was routinely recognized by leadership for my contributions and was near being promoted.At the start of the pandemic I disagreed with corporate office leadership over their pandemic response procedures. A few days later I was put on unpaid leave. I soon after left the company. Earlier, when Teams was introduced we were pressured to use it for all communications within the department. If we were chatting about our weekend with someone who sat right next to us, we would be directed to take the conversation to teams. All conversations were to take place there. A little while later a manager hovered over each team member's shoulder and asked that they add them to all of their private team conversations. This would mean they could read through their past chat histories.I don't think anyone was being unprofessional on Teams but it came off as a strange attempt to catch employees saying something negative about the company or the manager, or to have a look into their personal lives.

Pros

Cons

Micromanging atmosphere, strange vibe in the office

Fun place to work

I really enjoy working at fire and flower, the only thing is that they can cut your hours whenever they want to and someone who has to pay bills and pay for things it’s been hard only working 1 day a week ! But the people are amazing to work with and super supportive!

Aweful place to work

If you enjoy working as a corporate drone when selling cannabis then this is the place for you. You have no freedom to change displays, the upper management is abysmal, there is no clear promotion path and if you are anything less that a full time lead you will be lucky to get more than 2 shifts a week. Not worth the effort to try for.

Fun and Always Learning

Loved working here but unfortunately had to leave as was moving back home. This job gave me the knowledge and experience to work at another Cannabis shop where i live now.

Pros

team and discounts

No direction, no leadership, overworked

It used to be a good company to work for with a lot of opportunities to advance. However, it's gone downhill in recent months. There's little support, no direction and the stores feel like afterthought.They keep cutting hours and people but expect the same amount of work to get done.

Pros

Product discounts

Cons

Staff are overworked

3 years in no issue

love this place and wouldn't change a thing. typical day at work is fast paced and learning oriented , I've learned so so much about cannabis and other product. management are nice and supportive always willing to help and are very available for my needs, hardest part of the job is self learning often . most enjoyable part is the people and culture of this organization!

Lack of organization

No room for advancement. Poor management. Schedules are changing constantly even when I've set this time booked aside for myself they will go and book me a shift right in the middle.

not enough hours

started, had enough hours. after 3 months, my hours got cut in half. also my gm is a child. I like my coworkers tho. the most chill job ever but the hours suck.

Used to be great, went downhill fast

I’ve been at F&F for 2 years, worked multiple locations. This place is going downhill fast, there is a new labour metric that is dramatically cutting hours (we’re talking less than 10 full shifts to divide up amongst all part time staff in a week). key holders are being left alone in the store for hours, but can put up a sign when you need to use the restroom, and you can wear an emergency panic button. The stores constantly have drama, and most general managers tend to overlook it. Leads are expected to do the majority of general managers job responsibilities, but only make a dollar more than cannistas. They say that there are benefits, but full time is impossible to get. Inconsistent policies, there used to be a sign that said “we ID everyone, even our own grandmother” and now its if they look under 35. This place used to be about education and culture, but now it is hire as many people as you can to fill the gaps when others quit.

Pros

25% discount

Cons

High turnover rate Lack of hours Lack of support Inconsistent policies Over worked staff

Sucked.

This place sold itself to me on growth, both personal and financial. However once they mentioned that hours were “performance based” that should have been a red flag that deterred me. What that means is you will get no more than eighteen hours a week regardless if you’re desperate for more money, facing homelessness or eviction. It’s the definition of a McJob, little room for advancement and about eighteen dollars an hour to match the weekly hours.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Not enough hours to survive, Ridiculous regulations on what you can and can’t say to customers, it’s Customer service

Culture needs to re-evaluated. Do what you say you will do. Support your team instead of making them look bad for minor things.

The culture of the company has gone down hill. This starts from top down in mgmt. The aggressive attitude from the DM in the district does not sit well with the team. Due to this, I see the passion in the district less and less

Pros

Discount on cannabis and accessories are decent

Cons

Aggressive leader

Fun place to work, weird work culture

For some reason (money) they expect to run their entire company off the backs of part timers. Benefits are only available to full time workers, and each store has MAYBE two full timers. The rest are part time, including a huge chunk of their management team. Team Leads get paid a dollar more than cannistas, to do all of the same work, while also being pseudo managers in the absence of their heavily overworked GMs. Management will often lie to the team to cover up their true intentions and push employees out because getting fired here is actually rather difficult. The stewardship team is also corrupt and nothing you report is kept confidential. There's no work-life balance and your schedules are forever inconsistent. Management has NO scheduling experience and it shows. Due to this, there's also a High turnover rate. When people quit, the team gets overworked to cover the open shifts, but somehow you still never seen full time benefits when working full time hours while they find replacements. I've been working full time for the past 2+ months due to short staffing, but when I asked for benefits I was reminded that this is temporary and I'm a part time employee. They also filled the full time position for the same job that I've been doing, with someone else. Apparently I'm only good enough for full time as a lead while they find a full time lead. Funny how that works.They're super accepting of all kinds of and encourage neuro-diversity acceptance too, which is great. But it's definitely not enough and more could be improved upon with this company.

Pros

Lots of room for growth, quick peomotions

Cons

Long inconsistent hours, no work/life balance, poor training, no benefits, expect you to be part time even on management track

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fire & Flower Inc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement