Fire & Flower Inc

Fire & Flower Inc Employee Reviews

Ideal community to grow in.

Fire & Flower is Canada's Cannabis Company. You will learn each day, if you want to.You can challenge yourself, if you want to.You will personally grow, if you want to.It's retail folks, comes with highs (get it!) and lows. Much of it is the attitude you bring to the table. The management team, I know, has an open door policy. They are supportive, amazing and give you the energy when you need it most. A day in the shop is happy, sometimes difficult and always rewarding.You have to love what you do to be happy where you are, this management team and fellow leads or cannistas can help you get to that point. Trust the process...

Pros

Discounts in shop. Flexible hours. Great place to work with like minded people and customers.

Cons

Standing for long hours at a time.

An exceptional work place if your familiar with retail

Absolutely loving my time at fire and flower. Other people like to complain that its a "revolving door" of customers but thats literally every single retail job.If you click with your team your going to have a great time! Met lots of amazing people and days usually fly by because its a fun environment!Be prepared to learn hundreds of products and know how to describe them accurately to customers.

Pros

Good Hours, Friendly & Like Minded Staff, Good Pay, Staff Discounts

Cons

Occasional Disruptive Customers, Very Large Stock

Stay away from this organization.

Simply put, after a successful 30 year career as an executive leader, I thought I’d go do a part time retirement gig selling cannabis. The store manager had potential, but after 8 months I issued my notice. This is the least courageous and most elitist and arrogant management team I have ever encountered. Nothing even resembling an open door policy from above the store GM. You’ll see posters all over the walls about culture and values. What good are those if the organization doesn’t live them?

Pros

Discount, decent hours

Cons

scatterbrained policy and communication, and talentless leaders

Revolving door

Pay is good, company is poorly run. They interviewed me on a tuesday, hired on wednesday, started on a Thursday. Training was to be Thursday friday, monday Tuesday and Wednesday, they changed it to all over the place, with no notice. Lack of communication makes it hard to rearrange schedules for other jobs and daycares. They just dont give a darn about anything. One minute your awesome, the next you're doing everything wrong, with little to no guidance on how to do your job properly. If you take a job here, make sure you dont quit another one, because one day your there and the next you're out the door.

Disorganized, chaotic, and awful place to work

The leadership team at this place is absolutely awful. VPs and above are among the least knowledgeable, most disorganized business people I've met. My direct leader during my time here was under handed, bad at her job and attempted to blame fault at her team.I'll be honest with you this is not a company that cares about it's people. That's the truth.

Pros

Decent hours

Cons

Poor pay, bad management, lack of financial controls

Really enjoy working here overall.

This job doesn't come without challenges. They will push you as an individual to grow. Your attitude here really dictates your future, so it best to approach it with a positive mind. You learn a lot of people management skills and time management skills. Management is more than fair as long as you work hard and are forthcoming. The workplace culture is really upbeat and growth-driven. The hardest part of the job would have to be keeping up with the ever-evolving industry. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing people leave knowing you actually helped them better understand what they are putting in their body either good or bad.

Pros

Great perks

Greatest company to work for

When I first started working for Fire and Flower I was hired on as a canista. 5 months latter I was promoted to PT Lead and a year from my hire date, I was promoted to GM. There is so much room for advancements in this company. The upper management are all amazing and have everyone's best interest at heart. This company has helped me grow on levels I didn't know I could. You never hear about any of the GOOD companies do on reviews so i most defiantly wanted to put mine in!! I have been working for Fire and Flower for a year and a half, and they are the greatest working years of my life!!! Cheers :)

Pros

Upper Management is extremely supportive, working as a TEAM, People and Culture

You are just a number and are always disposable

Fire and flower is the kind of company that keeps its managers and office workers in a littlw bubble. Staff are constantly lied to about advancement opportunities and raises. Covid precautions were the bare minimum and in many cases not present at all. Profit is always put before staff safety and meeting the customers needs. Ive witnessed leadership add on a pack of papers or a lighter without telling the customer. The goal being to boost that UPT. This company sold me on a "we are a family" environment that quickly changed to being all about the numbers. The irony being the purchasing team is tiny and only a select few stores get what they ask for the rest are sent weed the company acquired for a cheap bid. Staff are expected to make brands known to be bad sound good...lie is what im saying. Ive seen amazing staff members get demoted to save money and hours cut. You are expected to have full availability when they hand out less than PT. Security measures are a joke and staff are left to work alone in some less than reputable neighborhoods. Manipulation and lies.

Pros

Discount staff had to fight for

Cons

Big box corporate you are a number nothing more

Fun to work for at first until you see their true colors.

I was very excited to start working here as I had for about a month before hand. They lied to me about a promotion that last time so I gave them the benefit of the doubt this time. Worked there for 9 months this go. Covering shifts for the manager, taking on extra duties that was never a part of my job and going up and beyond for the team and customers. Decided to leave due to the company not giving the shop the necessary tools to sell their product, the management team in head office trying to demote people for every single issue they think is an issue, promising positions that never happen, not getting the necessary training needed to excel in the work place and disrespect behind people's backs, and head office not listening to the needs of the shops when it comes to products.Terrible place to work if you want to get ahead and climb the hierarchy of the business. Also the higher ups constantly make you worry about the ADS, UPT and CRR of their shop. They will straight up decided to not tell a customer about an awesome product if it won't make them the money they want that transaction.

Pros

Employee discount, store manager at the north location is really cool and helpful.

Cons

No promotions, never being told the truth, no proper tools to sell the products, not caring about customers more than the money they make, no opportunities for growth, unfair wages, list goes on and on.

Revolving Door of Good People

The corporate office is infamous for having departments that are a revolving door. The company has existed for just over 2 years and in that time I know of at least 3 departments in the office that have a handful of employees at any given time, but that have gone through close to 30 people each. The reason is simple: if someone is hired at the corporate office who doesn't believe in the mandate of money first, they are promptly let go, or bullied into quitting. A prime of example of this was in HR and Loss Prevention, where employees miserably fought for better working conditions for front-line retail staff only to be iced out of meetings and disciplined. Everyone at the office will recall the time a widely loved and respected HR took their annual vacation and was fired THE DAY they returned from vacation. They were very vocal about advocating for retail staff, and so didn't quite fit into the mold. The company let them take weeks of vacation and then fired them with no notice. Another time, someone I worked near in the office was reported to their manager by another team member in their department for questioning a safety SOP (between the two of them) that clearly wasn't in the best interest of employees. Someone actually reported someone else in the office for being concerned about safety. I hope that paints a picture as to why only a certain kind of person can remain in that environment for longer than a few months. The managers at shops ask team members to leave good re views to boost the company's image. This job is not enjoyable, don't apply here if you can avoid -

Pros

You get a parking pass

Cons

Toxic work environment, "we're like a family" red flags, virtue signaling

Jobs at Fire & Flower Inc

See more jobs

Proceed with caution

They talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Their core values of inclusion, respect, wisdom, education, vision and social responsibility are not upheld. Long hours with no proper breaks and lean staffing due to Covid. Heavily focused on the size of UPT and average basket rather than people. This place is a hard NO!

Pros

Cons

Poor management

Very interesting industry right now.

The customers are a range of people and for the most part very nice. Upper management manipulates people to serve only the investors return on investment . Training is poor. Promises are made to most of the lead educators of full time employment when sales get to a certain target. Once that target is made the company changes the target to be a higher amount and does not follow through with promises made. As with all companies these days only the bottom line matters. This company makes a lot of money and there is no trickle down effect for the staff that have worked very hard to build the business for them. They also run sales contests all the time that put employees against each other that most times creates a negative work experience.

Pros

$100 off product each month.

Cons

Lack of proper training, benefits, greedy company.

Bad management and practices

When I started everything was awesome but the managers passive nature and micro-managing was too much. The company brags about culture but doesn't practice it. Felt like being in high school again and getting in trouble for pettiness was not worth the stress. This company treats their employees like a number, If you don't drink the coolaid you are out.

Pros

Some really cool people to work with

Cons

Passive aggressive behaviour and it felt like being in high school

Abysmal management team

This company has probably the weakest management team I've ever seen in a company. They are practically bottoming out at almost every location in the GTA because they refuse to actual hire properly and are too budget focused. If you work at some locations, assistant managers are expected to take over for GMs that don't bother to show up months after being open or you could be stationed outside in winter at Yonge/Gerrard checking ids of literally everyone (including seniors). They've acquired tons of stores through the GTA and fired the entire staff immediately after promising to keep people but mismanage the store because they literally don't know anything about the stores they're taking over. They literally ignore the OHSA and if you speak up about any issues, you will be at best ignored, at worst terminated. Middle management is constantly frustrated because there's more communication between upper management and team members than there is between actual management teams, so directives are never clear whatsoever. They have literally hundreds of roadmaps and managers quote them like the word of god, despite the fact they're just manager meetings/minutes and they only follow them when it affirms their current belief. Otherwise, things are just done by whatever they happen to call SOP since their SOP is just written by a random GM.

Pros

You get a discount that is 5% better than the one we give customers

Cons

You will be called at all hours of the day about your job, expected to work like a dog and management will steal your recognition

Poorly managed and full of snakes

I worked for the company since day one and at the beginning it was wonderful and exciting but that slowly started to sour. They don't promote people based on tenure or skill, they will however promote you if your friends with someone in head office. Yeah that's how they prefer to do buisness, like a bunch of highschool twerps. They have zero issues cutting and laying off staff ( staff that had been with the company since day 1) just to hire on new staff at a lower wage just to hit their bottom line. This is what happened to me, I guess doing a good job and getting a few raises hurt the company so much I needed to be layed off so they could hire staff on at a fraction of my wage. However during that time head office was handing out bonuses. Over all this company is a headache and a joke with zero job security. Don't listen to the people praising this company , they can't even see past their nose with all the brown on it.

If you enjoy having good mental health don’t work here

The management has a god complex and assumes they are better then everyone. The company was about the people at first and then slowly became only about sales (as most corporate companies do) . They will give you “like full time” hours but will never offer you full time because they would rather not fork out the benefits. The work environment is toxic and uncomfortable due to management issues stated above.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Started alright, lost my trust immediately

The company fluffs itself up to be a fun and interesting place to work in the cannabis industry, focusing on education and empowerment. Upper management never got back to any of the stores on our issues. They completely ignored our concerns, even after more than three staff spoke out and reached out to them. When COVID hit, I got a phone call, I answered and was promptly hung up on. Less than an hour later I got an email saying "Per our prior phone conversation, you're being let go". They let all of us go that had reached out and kept the new staff who did not know what was going on under the management of someone who most of the let go staff had reached out about. They kept the new staff on for barely 15 hours a week, and then promptly put up ads looking for new cannista's. Disgraceful and cowardly.

Pros

pay is slightly higher than minimum wage.

Cons

9 hour shifts with no break because there are no supervisors, so you stay at the store for an hour, zero communication with upper management, lies, false promises

Don’t waste your time applying. Stick with locally owned shops.

This company could have been great in Lethbridge, but it’s become nothing but garbage and COVID really put that further into perspective for the employees that were there since day one. We recognized that we were the corporate store in town, but did our best to minimize the feeling by creating an educational and friendly environment that was inviting to our customers. However, this quickly was diminished by the hiring of a lousy manager that over took both stores. Staff barely got the hours they were promised and constantly struggled to make ends meet while this manager would laugh how she didn’t need the job and could be reliant on her partner. She often hides in the back and avoids work whenever possible. Her knowledge of cannabis is poor and an embarrassment too. The dedicated employees who cared for the store challenged this manager for not being a united front and as they posed a threat to her they were quickly disposed of through COVID layoffs. The so called “Support Shop Centre” was also a useless support system for the shop as the district manager rarely came to support as well too. F&F entered late in the Lethbridge market so the sales struggled and were not par with other stores that opened around legalization so we were often forgotten about. Overall, don’t waste your time applying for this company. They will make you false promises and do nothing but get your hopes up which just leaves you feeling crushed. Stick with local, and find a small business that treats their employees as actual human beings and not just a number.

Fire and Flower more like smoke and mirrors

Fire and flower is the kinda company you get when a bunch of people who think weed is cool now that its legal start a business. Yuppies are pretty much what I'm saying. They hire staff and managers who don't even smoke weed at all but have "retail experience" easier to brainwash. Staff are expected to lie to sell lower quality products to build those big basket sizes. COVID precautions have been a joke in comparison to other businesses in the industry. Profit is always put ahead of staff safety. We are instructed to leave fake google and indeed reviews to boost company scores. Like every other big-box retailer, manipulation is key to success.

Pros

get to meet cool people

Cons

higher ups are posers and manipulators

You are ALWAYS disposable

People that work here are amazing no doubt. Unfortunately if they are unable to brainwash you, you will be kicked to the curb, regardless of how much work you put in. No job security what so ever.

Pros

Nice Coworkers

Cons

No loyalty to long time employees

Hinton location

Love the cannabis industry... Wish I didn't have to leave.. but definitely didn't need to be here any longer as the head general manager was allowing the assistant manager to run the show... Even when she was there.. and he wasnt even old even to grow a beard let alone a cannabis plant!! Lmao 🤣 sorry but he knit picked at everyone and everything!!

Pros

Learning the cannabis industry and our customers!

Cons

Assistant manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fire & Flower Inc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement