Finning International Inc.

Finning International Inc. Employee Reviews

Customer driven team oriented environment. If you needed help with an issue everyone was there to help!

Overall a great place to work! If I wasn’t laid off I would still be there. Predictable hours until covid-19 hit. Good benefits. I always had my teams help when I needed it as it was customer driven. Sometimes the organization of when I first got assigned to a piece of equipment was a bit of a cluster. I usually always got it sorted out though with enough questions. Usually set five Days a week 7:30 to 4:00 at the Red Deer branch with variable hours for Field techs, and 7 on 7 off 12 hour shifts for the oil sands guys. Usually home every night and knew what my hours would be. This made it fairly easy to plan my outside work activities. Great place for training as it was needed.

Pros

Paid training, good benefits, team atmosphere, predictable hours of work.

Cons

Disorganized when Equipment first arrived. Unclear job scopes.

No room for growth

Let's just say if you're not a male, you will stay in same position for years without any advancement. You will watch your male co workers move into different positions easily. If you get lucky with a good leader, he might try to move you into a role you deserve but most of the leaders are old school. The only perks are the salary and benefits. There is a huge gap in salary too. Some of your co workers are most likely making $20,000-$30,000 more than you just cause they've been there longer. You could be doing almost triple the work. After the pandemic, company culture has changed. Departments don't want to to work together anymore.

Resistant to change. Challenged executive leadership. Low job stability.

Finning is a historic brand in some circles. It has operations in a variety of countries which can provide exposure to international perspectives, in some circumstances. However, it has some challenges that it must constructively address in order to mature as a business.- Disconnected executive team. Executive management is loosely connected to the heartbeat of the organization. This leads to poor strategic decision-making when it comes to investing in IT infrastructure, marketing and pricing. This is evidenced by the company's decreasing margins in its public financials. Competitors are gaining ground.- Low innovation. Finning is not adequately equipped to innovate. It can invest money and buy IT systems, but it has difficulty pulling it together in a strategic way. Very poor return on investment (ROI). Innovation takes consistent leadership, honest communication, empowered employees and a competitive drive. Unfortunately, Finning falls short in these categories. IT/SAP implementation failures, write-downs, missteps (digital strategy) have all occurred in recent years.- Challenged leadership. Some executives (within IT and Canada) have poor leadership skills with behaviours that can be described as belligerent and bullying. This contributes to poor morale and people not wanting to speak up in meetings for fear of being persecuted.- Low trust environment. Being associated with the correct team is critical at Finning. Work ethic, competence, innovation and productivity are not at the forefront - despite management claims. People are routinely promoted passed their competence -

Pros

Long company history

Cons

History of closed-minded thinking and bullying in some circles. Disconnected executive leadership.

Terrible Manager!

This use to be an amazing company. I have had 3 managers in 3 years and 3 offices in 3years. When I started with Finning things were amazing as the oil price went down so did work culture. I lost 6-8 colleagues during the pandemic. Finning’s answer was to pile the remaining work onto there existing employees. If you did not agree Finning got rid of you. Stay clear from this company if you are looking for long term employment. If you want great money with no job security this is your company. I will miss all the amazing people I worked with!

Pros

Amazing Co workers and Great Pay !

Cons

Terrible Management! If you didn’t drink the company Coo-lade you got let go. Cult like culture.

A Fast paced disorganized mess.

I spent nearly 8 years working with this company. I went through 3 layoffs. Each layoff was due to seniority and work loads. Generally in a normal place of work the lazy People get the axe first. Not with Finning because the Mechanics are part of the IAMAW99 union. Now the union will do their best for wages, benefits and severance. The problem is, the union doesn't care about you. I traveled all over BC and Alberta with this company and there are some great people here. But just like any company there is always management that looks out for their friends in the company. Not the customers, or the companies growth or even whatever the "right thing to do" would be.

Pros

Great wages and benefits

Cons

Terrible training schedule, forced to join the Union, constant layoffs

I will never work there again. Its not a good environment.

I would not recommend this company to anyone who actually likes to work. To many kids playing on their phones all day. Management knows and doesn't care. The Management treats it like it is high school not a job. Pretty pathetic actually.

Pros

There is none.

Cons

Treated like a child.

Blue collar work culture

Felt like working back in 1950s with some of the men in the Calgary branch. Didn't feel pay was competitive and did not have a good management/leadership. I did what I could to find another job and left right away after only working a 1 and some. I would avoid if I could but we all need to pay our bills somehow!

Pros

Not much work some days

Cons

No challenges, low pay, work culture, management

Toxic Work Enviroment

The pay at Finning is very fair. Salaries are strong and to Finning's credit, there wasn't a mass layoff during COVID-19. But, the work environment is toxic. The tone from the top is that employees are not valued. In response to horrid employee experience survey results, executive management blamed said results on poor executive communication; there was no responsibility taken for the toxic culture by management.When a recent spate of employees left to a competitor, executive management said "the doors aren't locked from the inside." The former summarizes the tone from the top very succinctly.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Toxic culture

A great place to work, should of been there earlier

Shovel and dragline crew in Edmonton were a great crew to work for and with . Its It's unfortunate that the competition had a stronger team selling their services than Finning had. There really needed to be key people involved when the expantion to shovels took place to ensure sucess and the involvement of the traditional staff and hourly

unfortunately after years of employment they lay off the best employees

Typically i worked over and above my job scope and my job description without any advancement in years. Was given more and more work but no advancement. Applied for several positions that were in the end given to men who had no clue how to do the work and i ended up training them. Management doesn't recognize hard working individuals unless they are men.

Pros

Great Benefits and bonus payouts

Cons

Long hours, no advancment

Toxic workplace with beaten down employees

Pay and benefits are decent but beyond that there is very little positive. No longer any pride in the company. Management doesn't care at all about the employees or customers and every year is another round of layoffs and branch closures. Only care about making themselves look good, hiring "yes-men" (and it is all men) and driving their own pet projects. Stay away unless you're a sucker for punishment.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Senior management, culture, job security

Management is terrible

Management of the company is extremely poor. Many cut backs in last few years leaves salaried workers making less and less money at the end of each year. Company hires and fires with no regard for staffing levels, work loads, etc. Finning no longer has any culture and is very divided and the workforce is very downtrodden and unhappy. There are very few advancement paths despite company rhetoric preaching its virtues - its nonexistent.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

Everything else

Good pay and benefits

Made a lot of good friends, excellent pay, rose up the work ladder quickly, good benefits, no shortage of work, understanding management people, learnt lots and had a good time

Pros

Pay

Cons

No camp

A cliquey environment without a culture

Finning has lost the connection between the management and the worker. Its a cliquey environment and you're okay for as long as the gatekeepers value you... Also Finning has become so big and transient that there are no cultural guardians... the company has lost its personality.

Pros

Great product

Cons

Cliquey and lots of job insecurity

The salary and benefits are probably the only perk

I was employed at Finning Canada for 5+ years and wouldn't recommend it as a place to feel overly secure.If you have any sort of opinion that goes against the norm and choose to speak up you will feel the wrath.Coworkers and salary made the job tolerable but management is full of people that don't have a clue on how businesses should be run.Don't progress too fast otherwise your salary will be looked at and risk being laid off. I quickly got the picture that they would rather hire new hires for a cheaper rate than keep quality long term employees.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Work load, Stress, Mental health treated like a joke, Bullying from management

poorly managed by unprofessional trade droputs

very poorly managed by a bunch of wannabee pretending tradesmen. Layoffs were the cure for everything and it was all about who you knows. HR was a bigger joke. If you love the CAT brand it was a shame to see.

Pros

pay

Cons

management

Decent place to work

I enjoyed working for Finning, the pay and benefits are outstanding and there are regular increases as well. The company itself takes employee concerns seriously, and takes safety seriously. I always felt comfortable talking to my supervisor or my manager about anything. For the most part co workers are friendly and easy to get along with but like anywhere there are people who's life mission is to cause drama. Employees have a lot of freedom to do their job how they want, and there is very little in the way of micromanaging from superiors. Hourly staff have good protections from the union, but finning lays people off readily. it's frustrating as a new employee to be motivated and willing to go the extra mile only to be laid off during down turns. It doesn't matter how hard you work if you're not up there on the seniority list.Advancement is challenging if you're looking to move from an hourly role to a salary role. If you're qualified for a posting you will get an interview with the manager, but jobs tend to be posted with a specific candidate already in mind, so it's mostly a formality. Your qualifications are less important than having a good relationship with the hiring manager. On the bright side, it's a great way to hone your interview skills.

Pros

Pay, benefits, self directed

Cons

Job security, advancement

Great place at the base, poor management at the top

Great family and great collaboration, great benefits and compensation. Lots of good positions are based on buddy-buddy relationship, with little room for outsiders to get in and be promoted. Strong trade-like and parts-like culture and mentality. Constant lay-off trend lately, in detriment of experienced employees with strong technical background, but favouring fuzzy concepts like priority value driver, bold goals, performance management - resulting in retaining office people who add very little value at best.

Pros

Benefits, online training

Cons

Poor and disconnected top management

Countless managers. No leadership.

We've been starving for any shape or form of leadership here for decades. Management is just an old boys/buddies club taking care of each others self-preservation. One manager will walk employees out the door during layoffs while another manager hands out their bonuses the same day. Annual employee surveys no longer include questions about management as they disliked the constant negative (but realistic) feedback. Disgusting abuse and exploitation of a brand name like Caterpillar.

Pros

you will feel like a somebody working for a brand name like Caterpillar here

Cons

you are a NOBODY working for a brand name like Caterpillar here

Positive

One of the most memorable jobs held. Miss my finning family. Lots of room to move and grow within the company and they encourage that!! They want you to succeed professionally and personally.

Pros

Growth

Cons

Pay grade structure

This is a good place to grow and develop your skills. In addition, this company is very progressive in the way it stands up for respect of individuals. They don't hesitate to take necessary actions to protect the health of the company and were very transparent about their actions.

Pros

ability to work from home

Cons

very dependent on the oil and gas economy and quick to lay off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning International Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement

Compare Finning International Inc. with

• Finning International Inc.