Finning International Inc.

Finning International Inc. Employee Reviews

Overall a great place to work! If I wasn’t laid off I would still be there. Predictable hours until covid-19 hit. Good benefits. I always had my teams help when I needed it as it was customer driven. Sometimes the organization of when I first got assigned to a piece of equipment was a bit of a cluster. I usually always got it sorted out though with enough questions. Usually set five Days a week 7:30 to 4:00 at the Red Deer branch with variable hours for Field techs, and 7 on 7 off 12 hour shifts for the oil sands guys. Usually home every night and knew what my hours would be. This made it fairly easy to plan my outside work activities. Great place for training as it was needed.
Pros
Paid training, good benefits, team atmosphere, predictable hours of work.
Cons
Disorganized when Equipment first arrived. Unclear job scopes.
very poorly managed by a bunch of wannabee pretending tradesmen. Layoffs were the cure for everything and it was all about who you knows. HR was a bigger joke. If you love the CAT brand it was a shame to see.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
I enjoyed working for Finning, the pay and benefits are outstanding and there are regular increases as well. The company itself takes employee concerns seriously, and takes safety seriously. I always felt comfortable talking to my supervisor or my manager about anything. For the most part co workers are friendly and easy to get along with but like anywhere there are people who's life mission is to cause drama. Employees have a lot of freedom to do their job how they want, and there is very little in the way of micromanaging from superiors. Hourly staff have good protections from the union, but finning lays people off readily. it's frustrating as a new employee to be motivated and willing to go the extra mile only to be laid off during down turns. It doesn't matter how hard you work if you're not up there on the seniority list.Advancement is challenging if you're looking to move from an hourly role to a salary role. If you're qualified for a posting you will get an interview with the manager, but jobs tend to be posted with a specific candidate already in mind, so it's mostly a formality. Your qualifications are less important than having a good relationship with the hiring manager. On the bright side, it's a great way to hone your interview skills.
Pros
Pay, benefits, self directed
Cons
Job security, advancement
Great family and great collaboration, great benefits and compensation. Lots of good positions are based on buddy-buddy relationship, with little room for outsiders to get in and be promoted. Strong trade-like and parts-like culture and mentality. Constant lay-off trend lately, in detriment of experienced employees with strong technical background, but favouring fuzzy concepts like priority value driver, bold goals, performance management - resulting in retaining office people who add very little value at best.
Pros
Benefits, online training
Cons
Poor and disconnected top management
We've been starving for any shape or form of leadership here for decades. Management is just an old boys/buddies club taking care of each others self-preservation. One manager will walk employees out the door during layoffs while another manager hands out their bonuses the same day. Annual employee surveys no longer include questions about management as they disliked the constant negative (but realistic) feedback. Disgusting abuse and exploitation of a brand name like Caterpillar.
Pros
you will feel like a somebody working for a brand name like Caterpillar here
Cons
you are a NOBODY working for a brand name like Caterpillar here
One of the most memorable jobs held. Miss my finning family. Lots of room to move and grow within the company and they encourage that!! They want you to succeed professionally and personally.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Pay grade structure
This is a good place to grow and develop your skills. In addition, this company is very progressive in the way it stands up for respect of individuals. They don't hesitate to take necessary actions to protect the health of the company and were very transparent about their actions.
Pros
ability to work from home
Cons
very dependent on the oil and gas economy and quick to lay off
This corporation is a sad machine that runs on a very dated and delusional image of its name and brand. While constantly downsizing, disposing of good people and closing branches, the fact is that this ship is sinking while trying to maintain yesteryear's revenues and ideals. 99% of managers are overpaid monkeys, puppets, or actors that report to higher-up clowns, all of these arrogant moguls with absolutely no credibility yet yammer and yap like they do. Where they should inspire, build people and teams we instead learn to tolerate and even pity them as just another tragic part of our Finning existence. They have not and could not perform your job but somehow know what’s best for you and that your performance is constantly lacking. Yes, this aged tyranny still believes in getting the most out of people by overloading with completely unachievable goals then motivating us through guilt, shame, threat, and unbelievably .. still bullying nowadays!! The toxicity and animosity here runs deeper and deeper year over year. Where mental health is declining and destroying people, families, and society, companies that operate like this need to be exposed for their abuse. This is not a positive nor inclusive place to come to daily. You will regret then despise working for this cult well within a year of your start date - guaranteed!
Pros
good comradery among us lowlife disposable employees
Cons
Very elite and arrogant management
Culture is very stressful and cut throat. When claims are filed, it’s more or less your pink slip. Experience is not valued and almost threatening to managers.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance, culture, senior management
Compensation and benefits are some of the best I've had, but the management (above supervisors) was poor. They ignored complaints from the floor and supervisors which ended up ultimately being one of the reasons the branch closed (inefficiency).
I enjoyed working at Finning, the work was interesting and it was easy to learn lots, pay and benefits were good, I was always worried about getting laid off though and it finally happened
Opportunity for training and resources to properly/efficiently execute tasks available however supervisors/managers lack necessary management skills & will suppress your progress. Too much politics at management level.
I loved working for Finning but as soon as the work slows down, they lay-off. So not much security. Benefits and pay top notch, good management and accommodations(camp)
I found Finning to be very fast paced, at times, stressful. Pay, benefits and pension were very good. I found management lacked organization at times and it was up to shop staff to clean it up. The work variety was a definite plus to me. Technical training courses were encouraged and offered regularly to those who took initiative to sign up for them.
Not much appreciation for workers, just the almighty dollar. There was always too much work to do, and not enough people to do it. The time off was nice.
Good company food people lots of opportunity work work nice people in industry food equipment and dealer support good money and benefits good pension
Pros
Good money
Cons
Poor management
They take care of you to the best of their ability, though when things are decided at a higher level, there is no option. Excellent union as well. I enjoyed working here and planned to be a lifer. Unforeseen circumstances are unavoidable and we all need to work together to get through.
Finning was a great place to work, great people, good safety culture, paid well, management needs work. Always willing to send for safety training to keep up to date.
Worked at Fort McKay location in Wood Buffalo Regional District for 2 years. Was hired for apprenticeship, but received very little "hands on" training. An improvement would be for better one-on-one mentor/apprentice interaction and training. (example: worked on less than 15 pieces of equipment in 2 years full-time, with most time spent maintaining shop and yard and janitorial duties.)
Great place to work, wage is great, shift is great. The pension is good and they contribute to your pension regularly. Working the 2 week shift is amazing.
Pros
Shift and money
Cons
Management, lack of job security
Management is weak and lacks direction. Decisions are made without care for employees or repercussions No one in management stands behind employees Big benefit cuts over the last several years