Finning International Inc.

Finning International Inc. Employee Reviews

Good place to work for IT consultants
Learned how to collaborate within different IT teams.
There is no hard part, but the only thing to consider is they have big South american team, so if you know spanish it will come handy.

My bosses are very good and the company appreciated you to learn.
New Management sucked
Servicing, repairing and testing of customers generator and electrical equipment. New management that they hired was not a very social person and looked down on techs.
Great place to work with positive culture
Management at the time was very encouraging and flexible. Great team culture and friendly customers. The mechanics were always willing to teach about concepts I had not known yet. Management was always making sure we did team meetings and branch activities together.
Toxic place
Very toxic environment bullying harassment and you can report it all you want nothing gets done pay is not worth the mental health/abuse you take there
great place to learn
just keep your head down and work hard, learn as much as you can before the company buys another company and has lay-offs, ask lots of questions to further your skills. you will leave to interview not knowing you got the position or how you done. just hoping you get it.
Pros
learn lots of info
Cons
lay-offs are real, they will and your just a number
Soul for Sale?
Rules and management are always changing so good luck with constant nonsense if you a sensible hard working person.
Playing field is an illusion and will depend on the moons cycle, sunrise times, laundry days, the playoffs and most likely your favorite cartoon.

You will tune out or sell out within months of starting here and become a shell of who you are.

You are paid a little more but are taking years off your life for it.
Very toxic atmosphere
The only good thing about this job were the hours; 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. The techs were ok to work with but the administrative staff was very two faced and cut throat; always trying to trip me up. There was no support from management, basically left to my own devices to figure stuff out. The mangers didn't seem to know what they were doing, if we had a decent manager for a little whlle they didn't last as everything has to be done the old school Finning way, no open box thinking. I was bullied by one of the managers and HR didn't make a big deal about it, I ended up going on stress leave and finding a better job. Worst 5 years of my life.
stressfull environment, fast paced, results driven
People are more than just numbers - they all have a story and with that a unique motivation. Uncover that and you can drive them to success.

My time at Finning taught me determination and perseverance - often in the face of much opposition. It taught me what my true values were and that to be truly happy in life I needed to find a career that was closely aligned
Great people and peers, lack of management direction and vision
Large company with lots of built in process and support work streams. Work life balance is extremely difficult with a lot of pressure to meet goals and targets without corporate direction. Peers and co-workers are very talented and access to training is second to none.
Work Experience
I was lucky enough to take my work experience portion of my Heavy Duty Mechanics program at Finning in Nanaimo. It is a great shop to work in, very safety oriented and the staff and mechanics are top notch. Very professional establishment and I hope in the future I will be able to gain employment at this location. I would highly recommend any mechanics in this trade to look into employment with Finning.
Executive Management has always been horrible
Everyone at Finning is expected to do their job efficiently and properly. I worked with a crew that knew how to do the job they were hired for and knew how to do it right. Executive is a different story. They have no idea how to run a company or handle employees. The only way they know how to make a buck is to lay off. They value no one except their executive inner circle. Every five years a new president comes in and lines his pockets for five years then retires high on the hog.)
Poor leadership, no direction.
Finning could be a great place to work. They decided to go outside the industry for executives to promote "new thought". This caused stress and insecurity in the new leadership/executives as they were not the experts and found out that the industry was very unlike the industries they came. They forced decisions and strategies based on theory and assumptions. They hired more people from outside the industry to report to them so people would agree with their decisions. They forced out good long term employees in the name of advancement of thought and strategy. Frustrating place to work if you understand anything about the equipment industry. Finning "Lot's of smart people, smart people that don't know anything about the industry"
Best employer
Good place to work, training provided, team work, social activities, promote work excellence, safety culture , involvement with local communities in different aspects
Good company to work for
Local management is great, supportive and positive. Immediate supervisors are good and encouraging. Pay is great, as are the benefits. Family comes first here.
Coworkers are great, management is questionable at best.
It’s hard to describe really... imagine if someone who new nothing about business, technical repairs and personable skills owned you. Tells you what and how to do things they do not know how to do and then tried to judge your profit margins at the end of the day. Then, said manager, will throw you under the bus for failing when it’s a fundamentally flawed system to begin with. You take the heat, manager takes the verbal from corporate and the company still suffers margin losses because no alterations are made to the process. Route cause, though identified, isn’t corrected and the square wheel keeps turning (barely because it’s square) but the the shareholder see an ebit difference of .01%(new NEP deal goes through). They’re happy because stock goes up even though there is still the same problems and nobody does anything to fix the route cause of failure. Honestly the worst company I’ve worked for and I don’t see a happy ending for this (the largest CAT dealer in the world) company. Questionable management from the executives down. Glad to be off the sinking ship and recommend all to avoid.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Terrible management
I retired from Finning
The company demanded a lot but the compensation was good. The biggest issue was the management, flavour or the month management with a complete detachment from the workers.
People on the floor are great, Management needs to be replaced
Culture of company is flawed from the top down. Management is based of “buddy culture” in which right decisions are bumped for “buddy bonus”

Horrible place when you look for ethics and diversity

Female managers are still making less than male counterparts
Worst company ever
This is by far the worst company to work for. The leadership is always changing and the turnover rate is ridiculous. They are always in a hire/ fire cycle and your job is never safe. This up and down feeling leads to a poor culture and safety stats reflect a poor culture
Pros
Cons
Poor leadership
Busy
Kept busy at work but not over worked. Was well managed and run. A great place to work over all. I would recommend Finning as a career to anyone. The summer student job was well run.
Too much politics
Too much politics.Management doesn’t care about the workers. Workplace not organized too many back stabbers...........................................
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Back stabbers
Lied to me for weeks about a new position I was hired for while there
They did massive layoffs and then when I ended up being back there because they bought the company I went to work for after the layoffs. I had in writing they would keep me in the salary and position I owed to take with Caterpillar Canada and once they took over they gave my business to their long term employees in Sparwood BC
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning International Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.