Finning International Inc.
Happiness score is 44 out of 100

Finning International Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada299 reviews

Customer driven team oriented environment. If you needed help with an issue everyone was there to help!

Overall a great place to work! If I wasn’t laid off I would still be there. Predictable hours until covid-19 hit. Good benefits. I always had my teams help when I needed it as it was customer driven. Sometimes the organization of when I first got assigned to a piece of equipment was a bit of a cluster. I usually always got it sorted out though with enough questions. Usually set five Days a week 7:30 to 4:00 at the Red Deer branch with variable hours for Field techs, and 7 on 7 off 12 hour shifts for the oil sands guys. Usually home every night and knew what my hours would be. This made it fairly easy to plan my outside work activities. Great place for training as it was needed.

Pros

Paid training, good benefits, team atmosphere, predictable hours of work.

Cons

Disorganized when Equipment first arrived. Unclear job scopes.

Stay away from Trench Shoring ! Poor management.

Dont waste your time with Finning. You are just a number and will lay you off or screw you over any chance they get. You may think its a union job thats the way to go but the union is just as bad Finning management! The union just takes your money and does nothing for you. Stay away from trench shoring Edmonton branch as you will have everyone in the office telling you what to do and they dont have a clue whats going on. The management in trench shoring is a joke and will screw you over any chance they get. Stay away is all i can say.

Pros

Cons

Everything about Finning and TCRS.

Very supportive management especially during pandemic and on my most difficult time of the year

I've heard stories regarding Finning Canada about how they treat their employees and focus more on revenues of the organization which I presumed is a given fact, it is the other way around, I have had personally experience working for this organization, all I can say that the management team headed by the general manager, supervisors down to the charge hand particularly the D_ _ team were all superb. I never had experience being supported by the management during my entire life by any organization in Canada, with Finning I was extremely supported all throughout, I was expecting that an organization like this massive would easily let go a low level employee but instead was being supported mentally and emotionally especially during the after effect of the pandemic, I hope and pray that economy would still be stable to sustain the continuous growth of the organization. I would prefer to stay working for this organization if the health of my family permits me to work until my retirement.

Pros

Hilarious colleagues which makes this organization a better and fun place to work, lots of parking and a 50" TV at the lunch room.

Cons

I have never experience "Cons" at all, except for occasionally we ran out of free chocolate powder for snacks

Excellent work place

Great work life balanceFantastic benefits and compensationVery few barriers, management will use everything at their disposal to help you do your job adequately.

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, Work life balance, Coworkers, Everyone is on the same team willing to help, Tools provided

Cons

Training advancement

Supportive leadership and great team collaboration

I have worked for a lot of companies and Finning has been by far the best. Leadership steps up to really care about their employees and our safety. The pay and benefits are great and I work with the best teammates.

Pros

Pay, Team, management

Cons

long hours, high workload

Finning: Because we are as costly as we are arrogant - our customers and employees will pay

"Are you in or out?"That is management response and stance to anyone concerned with the overwhelming sadness and madness we shoulder here daily.As your devaluation begins the minute you start working here, never question or doubt the poison you are force fed.Just stomach it, be silent, be grateful they've kept you and smile you worthless, expendable worm.There are not enough words to describe the depth of my detest for this company.Now, don't get me wrong because WE ARE ALL well aware of the 'if you don't like it - leave' option.However, I have mouths to feed and shelter, plus my substance abuse now (due directly to finning) to pay for so tragically, I am just another numbered, miserable insubordinate that is stuck here.But thanks for the career finning.

Pros

They entice you here with a decent wage

Cons

It just isn't worth it.

Horrible management, piles of useless paperwork.

This company seems to have a huge problem getting quality management, HR totally supports the discrimination that management shows towards their subordinates. I've worked my entire life in the industry and never at such a low moral work place. The 'workers' are wonderful and stick together the best they can but management lacks the ability to build a positive environment where people work together. This place is stuck in old times and needs a total flush of management.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Low moral, discrimination, useless paperwork, The Worst Management

No room for growth

Let's just say if you're not a male, you will stay in same position for years without any advancement. You will watch your male co workers move into different positions easily. If you get lucky with a good leader, he might try to move you into a role you deserve but most of the leaders are old school. The only perks are the salary and benefits. There is a huge gap in salary too. Some of your co workers are most likely making $20,000-$30,000 more than you just cause they've been there longer. You could be doing almost triple the work. After the pandemic, company culture has changed. Departments don't want to to work together anymore.

Resistant to change. Challenged executive leadership. Low job stability.

Finning is a historic brand in some circles. It has operations in a variety of countries which can provide exposure to international perspectives, in some circumstances. However, it has some challenges that it must constructively address in order to mature as a business.- Disconnected executive team. Executive management is loosely connected to the heartbeat of the organization. This leads to poor strategic decision-making when it comes to investing in IT infrastructure, marketing and pricing. This is evidenced by the company's decreasing margins in its public financials. Competitors are gaining ground.- Low innovation. Finning is not adequately equipped to innovate. It can invest money and buy IT systems, but it has difficulty pulling it together in a strategic way. Very poor return on investment (ROI). Innovation takes consistent leadership, honest communication, empowered employees and a competitive drive. Unfortunately, Finning falls short in these categories. IT/SAP implementation failures, write-downs, missteps (digital strategy) have all occurred in recent years.- Challenged leadership. Some executives (within IT and Canada) have poor leadership skills with behaviours that can be described as belligerent and bullying. This contributes to poor morale and people not wanting to speak up in meetings for fear of being persecuted.- Low trust environment. Being associated with the correct team is critical at Finning. Work ethic, competence, innovation and productivity are not at the forefront - despite management claims. People are routinely promoted passed their competence -

Pros

Long company history

Cons

History of closed-minded thinking and bullying in some circles. Disconnected executive leadership.

Terrible Manager!

This use to be an amazing company. I have had 3 managers in 3 years and 3 offices in 3years. When I started with Finning things were amazing as the oil price went down so did work culture. I lost 6-8 colleagues during the pandemic. Finning’s answer was to pile the remaining work onto there existing employees. If you did not agree Finning got rid of you. Stay clear from this company if you are looking for long term employment. If you want great money with no job security this is your company. I will miss all the amazing people I worked with!

Pros

Amazing Co workers and Great Pay !

Cons

Terrible Management! If you didn’t drink the company Coo-lade you got let go. Cult like culture.

A Fast paced disorganized mess.

I spent nearly 8 years working with this company. I went through 3 layoffs. Each layoff was due to seniority and work loads. Generally in a normal place of work the lazy People get the axe first. Not with Finning because the Mechanics are part of the IAMAW99 union. Now the union will do their best for wages, benefits and severance. The problem is, the union doesn't care about you. I traveled all over BC and Alberta with this company and there are some great people here. But just like any company there is always management that looks out for their friends in the company. Not the customers, or the companies growth or even whatever the "right thing to do" would be.

Pros

Great wages and benefits

Cons

Terrible training schedule, forced to join the Union, constant layoffs

I will never work there again. Its not a good environment.

I would not recommend this company to anyone who actually likes to work. To many kids playing on their phones all day. Management knows and doesn't care. The Management treats it like it is high school not a job. Pretty pathetic actually.

Pros

There is none.

Cons

Treated like a child.

Blue collar work culture

Felt like working back in 1950s with some of the men in the Calgary branch. Didn't feel pay was competitive and did not have a good management/leadership. I did what I could to find another job and left right away after only working a 1 and some. I would avoid if I could but we all need to pay our bills somehow!

Pros

Not much work some days

Cons

No challenges, low pay, work culture, management

Toxic Work Enviroment

The pay at Finning is very fair. Salaries are strong and to Finning's credit, there wasn't a mass layoff during COVID-19. But, the work environment is toxic. The tone from the top is that employees are not valued. In response to horrid employee experience survey results, executive management blamed said results on poor executive communication; there was no responsibility taken for the toxic culture by management.When a recent spate of employees left to a competitor, executive management said "the doors aren't locked from the inside." The former summarizes the tone from the top very succinctly.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Toxic culture

A great place to work, should of been there earlier

Shovel and dragline crew in Edmonton were a great crew to work for and with . Its It's unfortunate that the competition had a stronger team selling their services than Finning had. There really needed to be key people involved when the expantion to shovels took place to ensure sucess and the involvement of the traditional staff and hourly

unfortunately after years of employment they lay off the best employees

Typically i worked over and above my job scope and my job description without any advancement in years. Was given more and more work but no advancement. Applied for several positions that were in the end given to men who had no clue how to do the work and i ended up training them. Management doesn't recognize hard working individuals unless they are men.

Pros

Great Benefits and bonus payouts

Cons

Long hours, no advancment

Toxic workplace with beaten down employees

Pay and benefits are decent but beyond that there is very little positive. No longer any pride in the company. Management doesn't care at all about the employees or customers and every year is another round of layoffs and branch closures. Only care about making themselves look good, hiring "yes-men" (and it is all men) and driving their own pet projects. Stay away unless you're a sucker for punishment.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Senior management, culture, job security

Management is terrible

Management of the company is extremely poor. Many cut backs in last few years leaves salaried workers making less and less money at the end of each year. Company hires and fires with no regard for staffing levels, work loads, etc. Finning no longer has any culture and is very divided and the workforce is very downtrodden and unhappy. There are very few advancement paths despite company rhetoric preaching its virtues - its nonexistent.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

Everything else

Good pay and benefits

Made a lot of good friends, excellent pay, rose up the work ladder quickly, good benefits, no shortage of work, understanding management people, learnt lots and had a good time

Pros

Pay

Cons

No camp

A cliquey environment without a culture

Finning has lost the connection between the management and the worker. Its a cliquey environment and you're okay for as long as the gatekeepers value you... Also Finning has become so big and transient that there are no cultural guardians... the company has lost its personality.

Pros

Great product

Cons

Cliquey and lots of job insecurity

The salary and benefits are probably the only perk

I was employed at Finning Canada for 5+ years and wouldn't recommend it as a place to feel overly secure.If you have any sort of opinion that goes against the norm and choose to speak up you will feel the wrath.Coworkers and salary made the job tolerable but management is full of people that don't have a clue on how businesses should be run.Don't progress too fast otherwise your salary will be looked at and risk being laid off. I quickly got the picture that they would rather hire new hires for a cheaper rate than keep quality long term employees.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Work load, Stress, Mental health treated like a joke, Bullying from management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning International Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement

Compare Finning International Inc. with

• Finning International Inc.