Finning Canada Employee Reviews

changing work place
Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB23 November 2018
Get move around lots , learn lots of equipment but do not stay on anything to get productive . When production goes up an you look like you enjoy your job management moves people around. Great crew of fellow workers for the most part. The so called benefits suck
Pros
pay, fellow workers
Cons
day shift night shif switch odd hours of work, benifits, management
Its ok
Welder (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 November 2018
I work in red deer and it was fine. Good money, but as it is a unionized enviroment there is a picking order and you will be reminded of were you stand.

I will also add if you a welder, fort mccay shop is not the place for you. Its a mechanic shop that has welding but you not really wanted. Your a necessary evil.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Unionized
Heavy Equipment Technician (HET) - Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 October 2018
Was a great learning experience and met alot of great people, Lay offs happened as it does anywhere else. Was a great place to learn and gather skills!
Pros
people, type of work
Cons
management
Good Health Benefits and Good pension
J/Service Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB19 October 2018
Pension and Benefits are important to me. Health and dental benefits are important to me as well. I would like to find an employer that offers benefits as well.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work away from home
Great place to work and gain experience for Advancements
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 October 2018
Good place to work for education, training and advancements. Great support from fellow workers on the floor. Lots of overtime and support resources to perform your job effectively.
Pros
Training
Cons
Union
great employes
Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2018
learned a lot from employees
had great opportunities
great pay
holidays are awesome
learning programs are great and easy
education available
customers are fantastic
Pros
great help from employees
Cons
lay offs
Great Products Great People
Customer Service Advisor/Service Writer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2018
Finning Canada has really good benefits and the salary is competitive. I really enjoyed working with all the staff there, Cat Products and the various duties of my job such as daily job board meetings job planning with the tech's, following up on parts etc.

The job load is heavy and very demanding which can be quite stressful at times.
Pros
great staff & great product
Cons
work load
Solid Corporation, Consistent processes
Territory Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
Management may not always act in staffs best interests. This is publically traded corporation and profit drives numerous decisions made. This is reasonably balanced within the corporate hierarchy and down for the most part.
Security is not always consistent as the Corporation likes to cycle staff through rather than invest in existing staff.
Stuck in the past
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Alberta9 August 2018
While Finning is a public company and talks about change; there is little desire to revise their method of doing business.

Union workforce is well paid while the administrative staff is overworked and underpaid
Phenomenal Environment and Work Culture
6 Sigma Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 August 2018
In my five years experience with Finning (Canada), I was believed in, encouraged, and pushed out of my comfort zone many times! This is an incredible environment for professional growth and internal advancement within a company. The people I worked with were amazing in many ways, but most importantly they were supportive, encouraging, and emotionally intelligent. I worked in head office across three departments (Internal Procurement, 6 Sigma, and Service Excellence) and I don't have a single complaint. My managers were friendly, gave and received feedback in a friendly manner, and have an amazing performance conversation training program that makes employees feel valued and that there is room for them to grow and improve within their roles and to move up within the company.
Was a good place to work and a very good group of people to work with.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC23 July 2018
I was able to advance multiple times in my career in the service dept. with Finning. I was able to learn new software to do the job required of me. I worked for a number of different managers who helped me to grow and achieve in my position.
Safe enviroment
INDUSTRIAL SPECIALIST - MILLWRIGHT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2018
I worked for Finning for over 4 years. Overall they were a very good company to work for. A few bad managers came through my area of work in that time, but that happens anywhere I guess.
Work place culture is very PRO finning and vey positive.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Layoffs
great place
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC8 July 2018
Really enjoyed working ther up until we found out that they were closing the doors. Miss working ther, learned so much and miss my co workers. see ya finning
Still an old boys club
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 July 2018
Enjoyed my time, but it was hard to advance my career (being a young woman) unless I wanted to do administration work. Work environment was fun and enjoyable; would have stayed if not for mass layoffs.
hardest part of the day , the most enjoyable part of the job
Heavy duty mechanic in shop (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC18 June 2018
computer work, sending out emails, getting it all done in a timely matter, then finding all the info for the job ur doing

the most enjoyable was the paycheques, the guys you work with, the drive for better and the perks of working for them
Neat Industry and a Fun Business
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
If you are applying for an Inside Sales Role, make sure you're prepared - and able - to relocate. Inside Sales is developmental, and you're hired with the expectation that you will move out into an internship at another branch, and then into a sales or product support role elsewhere in Western Canada. Do not ignore the question about your willingness to relocate; some companies use boiler plate forms, but this is nearly mandatory unless there's good timing on your side.

The good news is that they routinely have openings in BC. The inside sales team is great. The manager there is great. Just make sure its a fit for you and your family.

Aside from that, parts of sales process can be extremely complex. Be prepared to explain this well. Remember you're in a big company with many different moving parts, so execution on certain things can take some time.
Pros
Sales Training, a little bit of flexibility, benefits are premium
Cons
Some processes seem like they could be optimized for the benefit of the customer
Great people to work with.
LEAD HAND WELDER/MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 June 2018
Great people to work with. Awesome safety environment. Management a little disorganized. Finning model of "Do more with less" was a big change and was hard to work with.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Expensive extended health benefits.
Good money, bad culture
Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2018
Not a very reliable company to work for. They can lay you off in a instance. More of a number than an employee. not much support for training. Good money.
Pros
good money
Cons
reliable, training, culture
tough to get ahead
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  red deer21 May 2018
Very difficyouult company to move up in the world, or even keep a job. if you can make it 3 or 4 years your usually good but the unio and large seniority pools within small areas can make things very difficult for new employees.
Frustrating Experience
Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2018
A very difficult environment to learn. Training involves learning about the products and very little on the process. My manager was out of town 3 out of the 5 days a week and had little support on how to process documents to their standards. Only management training i got was on a phone call for 2 hours while her kid cried on the other side. Other employees were appalled as to how I was being trained given that they were sat down for a week and shown each step of the process. They let me go and admitted that they were at fault for not giving proper training and mistakes were made that had to be accounted for.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Unreliable, no training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning Canada. Our community is ready to answer.