Finning Canada Employee Reviews

Phenomenal Environment and Work Culture
6 Sigma Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 August 2018
In my five years experience with Finning (Canada), I was believed in, encouraged, and pushed out of my comfort zone many times! This is an incredible environment for professional growth and internal advancement within a company. The people I worked with were amazing in many ways, but most importantly they were supportive, encouraging, and emotionally intelligent. I worked in head office across three departments (Internal Procurement, 6 Sigma, and Service Excellence) and I don't have a single complaint. My managers were friendly, gave and received feedback in a friendly manner, and have an amazing performance conversation training program that makes employees feel valued and that there is room for them to grow and improve within their roles and to move up within the company.
Was a good place to work and a very good group of people to work with.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Nelson, BC23 July 2018
I was able to advance multiple times in my career in the service dept. with Finning. I was able to learn new software to do the job required of me. I worked for a number of different managers who helped me to grow and achieve in my position.
Safe enviroment
INDUSTRIAL SPECIALIST - MILLWRIGHT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 July 2018
I worked for Finning for over 4 years. Overall they were a very good company to work for. A few bad managers came through my area of work in that time, but that happens anywhere I guess.
Work place culture is very PRO finning and vey positive.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Layoffs
great place
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC8 July 2018
Really enjoyed working ther up until we found out that they were closing the doors. Miss working ther, learned so much and miss my co workers. see ya finning
Still an old boys club
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 July 2018
Enjoyed my time, but it was hard to advance my career (being a young woman) unless I wanted to do administration work. Work environment was fun and enjoyable; would have stayed if not for mass layoffs.
hardest part of the day , the most enjoyable part of the job
Heavy duty mechanic in shop (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC18 June 2018
computer work, sending out emails, getting it all done in a timely matter, then finding all the info for the job ur doing

the most enjoyable was the paycheques, the guys you work with, the drive for better and the perks of working for them
Neat Industry and a Fun Business
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
If you are applying for an Inside Sales Role, make sure you're prepared - and able - to relocate. Inside Sales is developmental, and you're hired with the expectation that you will move out into an internship at another branch, and then into a sales or product support role elsewhere in Western Canada. Do not ignore the question about your willingness to relocate; some companies use boiler plate forms, but this is nearly mandatory unless there's good timing on your side.

The good news is that they routinely have openings in BC. The inside sales team is great. The manager there is great. Just make sure its a fit for you and your family.

Aside from that, parts of sales process can be extremely complex. Be prepared to explain this well. Remember you're in a big company with many different moving parts, so execution on certain things can take some time.
Pros
Sales Training, a little bit of flexibility, benefits are premium
Cons
Some processes seem like they could be optimized for the benefit of the customer
Great people to work with.
LEAD HAND WELDER/MACHINIST (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 June 2018
Great people to work with. Awesome safety environment. Management a little disorganized. Finning model of "Do more with less" was a big change and was hard to work with.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Expensive extended health benefits.
Good money, bad culture
Inside Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2018
Not a very reliable company to work for. They can lay you off in a instance. More of a number than an employee. not much support for training. Good money.
Pros
good money
Cons
reliable, training, culture
tough to get ahead
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  red deer21 May 2018
Very difficyouult company to move up in the world, or even keep a job. if you can make it 3 or 4 years your usually good but the unio and large seniority pools within small areas can make things very difficult for new employees.
Frustrating Experience
Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2018
A very difficult environment to learn. Training involves learning about the products and very little on the process. My manager was out of town 3 out of the 5 days a week and had little support on how to process documents to their standards. Only management training i got was on a phone call for 2 hours while her kid cried on the other side. Other employees were appalled as to how I was being trained given that they were sat down for a week and shown each step of the process. They let me go and admitted that they were at fault for not giving proper training and mistakes were made that had to be accounted for.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Unreliable, no training
Good high energy work place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC18 March 2018
Finning is a great company to work for. They take pride in their customer service and are always doing above and beyond the standards. They have a lot of room or growth as well.
Great people to work with
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2018
Great bunch of people to work with. Pay was good and there were opportunities to advance if you went looking for them. Lots of free education materials in their Caterpillar University
Pros
Cafeteria in building.
Cons
middle of an industrial area.
super busy workplace
Service Clerk and parts administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2018
busy productive day, learn a lot about the product they sell, management is hard on employees, some friendly coworkers, super busy and demanding job, enjoy dealing with customers.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
management
dealership company
Service Operations manager (Former Employee) –  grande prairie11 March 2018
It is a good company for training employee and has good internal courses for products it sales. hard to get promoted with in company, once promoted was backed by the rest of managers.
Not a great environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2018
Not a lot of support from management or team members. Expectations are very high with zero guidance. Not a great place to work, would not recommend working here unless you want a high school environment. Very unprofessional.
Benefits
Okay place to work
Journeyman Parts Salesperson (Red Seal) (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 February 2018
Great place to get your Journeyman ticket. Company mood seems to change whenever the CEO changes, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the bad. When times are good the company is great to work for and when times are bad, they get real bad at Finning.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Company treats you like a number
Needs to improve in customer service.
2nd Year Apprentice Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 January 2018
I enjoyed working with Finning however they have many areas to improve in if they want to grow as a company. As competition arises they are unable to handle a customer service standard that other companies may be actually doing better. They will struggle to get contracts for big mining operations and get put on warranty work to sustain older equipment that soon will be replaced by another brand. This makes the company not a reliable source due to budget cuts and lay offs. I believe management is to blame because I have worked with customers directly and they are always pleased with the maintenance that was provided.
Pros
Good wage and benefits
Cons
Poor management
Finning if you cannot find anything else
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 January 2018
Finning HR people sell a good story but don't believe their lies.

Training only happens for field techs and management favourites. Everyday you have to be looking over your shoulder. Their is always some super that is playing silly games. Safety is a joke on the night shift. Outta sight and outta mind. Service managers come and go. That means you get supers that can run all over you. Don't expect the Union to do anything for you. They don't give a you know what.

Depending where you are working determines how long you will last. You might be with decent group of co-workers or a bunch of gossiping ricks trying to run you out.

If you cam handle all that trip then Finning is the place for you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else.
Lab Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC10 January 2018
Lots of politics in the management sector. Secret promotions and playing favorites led me out of the ring after 15 years of service. Employment generally is run by the heavy equipment markets.
benefits
Cons
original ethics have disappeared

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning Canada. Our community is ready to answer.