Finning
Happiness score is 42 out of 100

Finning Employee Reviews

Canada306 reviews

canadalayoffunioncatsafetybranchpensionlay

Lots of opportunities to advance

There is no shortage of work at Finning. Sometimes expectations are quite high.In my 25-year career, the compensation and benefits were very good.Like most places I assume, some managers are better than others. Most of mine really supported me and my growth.

Adequated compensation. No Job security.

Fast paced, customer orientated. Workplace culture, management and coworkers can be toxic at times, especially if you do not fit into the old boys club. Most enjoyable part of the job is the pay, benefits, and the ability for Finning to match your investements in the company. Hardest part is the advancement within the organization. Should you not know someone, or be a relative to an employee, do not expect to advance from within.Learned not to be taken advantage of or the expectation to work 24/7 and not be compensated.Would not reccomend this place of employment, unless you are a union position.

Insights into Finning

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Lack job security and professionalism is not recognized.

I will never recommend Finning as a place to work to anyone. Professionalism is thrown is not recognized, poor job security, laying off staff in an inhumane manner, toxic working environment and stressful working conditions.

Corporate atmosphere with good pay and opportunity for growth if you fit the mold

Great career based company, backed by a historic brand. Good benefits and long term employment, if you aren't laid off during a downturn. It has the nature of publicly traded company where profits are above all else, though safety and work-life balance is touted routinely.Finning changes their strategies and goals frequently, it's almost cyclical along with new management, 4-6 years. Customers and employees alike find it hard to keep up with constant new strategies and frequent change. Communication from senior leadership is often lacking leaving employees unsure of the company's direction, scrambling to keep relationships in tact with clients who are equally confused with the untimely changes. The atmosphere always has a sense of urgency and pressure to keep achieving more is ever present. There is little personal engagement amongst staff; it's a large, departmentalized corporation and very much so feels like one.Overall, you can find a good paying career here if you're willing to take the bureaucracy and stress along with it.

Micro management is very predominant

Finning Doesn’t care about its employees anymore , to them you are just a number. (Overhead) oh and a good rule of thumb , keep your mouth shut . The only time you get recognized is when you screw something up.They have their favourites .

Pros

Good wages and benefits

Cons

No relation between workers and management very vindictive

Do have team building events

Great company to work for would not have any issues on going back to work for them opportunities to go to other places internal transfers and when fixing a price of equipment and run into road blocked in trouble shooting there is a wealth of knowledge from tech Center other branches

Great people, good pay but poor management style

Great group of people that formed our team. Supportive and collaborative. Management was not supportive and could be condescending. Would recommend working for them.

Stay away from Trench Shoring ! Poor management.

Dont waste your time with Finning. You are just a number and will lay you off or screw you over any chance they get. You may think its a union job thats the way to go but the union is just as bad Finning management! The union just takes your money and does nothing for you. Stay away from trench shoring Edmonton branch as you will have everyone in the office telling you what to do and they dont have a clue whats going on. The management in trench shoring is a joke and will screw you over any chance they get. Stay away is all i can say.

Pros

Cons

Everything about Finning and TCRS.

Very supportive management especially during pandemic and on my most difficult time of the year

I've heard stories regarding Finning Canada about how they treat their employees and focus more on revenues of the organization which I presumed is a given fact, it is the other way around, I have had personally experience working for this organization, all I can say that the management team headed by the general manager, supervisors down to the charge hand particularly the D_ _ team were all superb. I never had experience being supported by the management during my entire life by any organization in Canada, with Finning I was extremely supported all throughout, I was expecting that an organization like this massive would easily let go a low level employee but instead was being supported mentally and emotionally especially during the after effect of the pandemic, I hope and pray that economy would still be stable to sustain the continuous growth of the organization. I would prefer to stay working for this organization if the health of my family permits me to work until my retirement.

Pros

Hilarious colleagues which makes this organization a better and fun place to work, lots of parking and a 50" TV at the lunch room.

Cons

I have never experience "Cons" at all, except for occasionally we ran out of free chocolate powder for snacks

Excellent work place

Great work life balanceFantastic benefits and compensationVery few barriers, management will use everything at their disposal to help you do your job adequately.

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, Work life balance, Coworkers, Everyone is on the same team willing to help, Tools provided

Cons

Training advancement

Supportive leadership and great team collaboration

I have worked for a lot of companies and Finning has been by far the best. Leadership steps up to really care about their employees and our safety. The pay and benefits are great and I work with the best teammates.

Pros

Pay, Team, management

Cons

long hours, high workload

Finning: Because we are as costly as we are arrogant - our customers and employees will pay

"Are you in or out?"That is management response and stance to anyone concerned with the overwhelming sadness and madness we shoulder here daily.As your devaluation begins the minute you start working here, never question or doubt the poison you are force fed.Just stomach it, be silent, be grateful they've kept you and smile you worthless, expendable worm.There are not enough words to describe the depth of my detest for this company.Now, don't get me wrong because WE ARE ALL well aware of the 'if you don't like it - leave' option.However, I have mouths to feed and shelter, plus my substance abuse now (due directly to finning) to pay for so tragically, I am just another numbered, miserable insubordinate that is stuck here.But thanks for the career finning.

Pros

They entice you here with a decent wage

Cons

It just isn't worth it.

Horrible management, piles of useless paperwork.

This company seems to have a huge problem getting quality management, HR totally supports the discrimination that management shows towards their subordinates. I've worked my entire life in the industry and never at such a low moral work place. The 'workers' are wonderful and stick together the best they can but management lacks the ability to build a positive environment where people work together. This place is stuck in old times and needs a total flush of management.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Low moral, discrimination, useless paperwork, The Worst Management

No room for growth

Let's just say if you're not a male, you will stay in same position for years without any advancement. You will watch your male co workers move into different positions easily. If you get lucky with a good leader, he might try to move you into a role you deserve but most of the leaders are old school. The only perks are the salary and benefits. There is a huge gap in salary too. Some of your co workers are most likely making $20,000-$30,000 more than you just cause they've been there longer. You could be doing almost triple the work. After the pandemic, company culture has changed. Departments don't want to to work together anymore.

Resistant to change. Challenged executive leadership. Low job stability.

Finning is a historic brand in some circles. It has operations in a variety of countries which can provide exposure to international perspectives, in some circumstances. However, it has some challenges that it must constructively address in order to mature as a business.- Disconnected executive team. Executive management is loosely connected to the heartbeat of the organization. This leads to poor strategic decision-making when it comes to investing in IT infrastructure, marketing and pricing. This is evidenced by the company's decreasing margins in its public financials. Competitors are gaining ground.- Low innovation. Finning is not adequately equipped to innovate. It can invest money and buy IT systems, but it has difficulty pulling it together in a strategic way. Very poor return on investment (ROI). Innovation takes consistent leadership, honest communication, empowered employees and a competitive drive. Unfortunately, Finning falls short in these categories. IT/SAP implementation failures, write-downs, missteps (digital strategy) have all occurred in recent years.- Challenged leadership. Some executives (within IT and Canada) have poor leadership skills with behaviours that can be described as belligerent and bullying. This contributes to poor morale and people not wanting to speak up in meetings for fear of being persecuted.- Low trust environment. Being associated with the correct team is critical at Finning. Work ethic, competence, innovation and productivity are not at the forefront - despite management claims. People are routinely promoted passed their competence -

Pros

Long company history

Cons

History of closed-minded thinking and bullying in some circles. Disconnected executive leadership.

Terrible Manager!

This use to be an amazing company. I have had 3 managers in 3 years and 3 offices in 3years. When I started with Finning things were amazing as the oil price went down so did work culture. I lost 6-8 colleagues during the pandemic. Finning’s answer was to pile the remaining work onto there existing employees. If you did not agree Finning got rid of you. Stay clear from this company if you are looking for long term employment. If you want great money with no job security this is your company. I will miss all the amazing people I worked with!

Pros

Amazing Co workers and Great Pay !

Cons

Terrible Management! If you didn’t drink the company Coo-lade you got let go. Cult like culture.

A Fast paced disorganized mess.

I spent nearly 8 years working with this company. I went through 3 layoffs. Each layoff was due to seniority and work loads. Generally in a normal place of work the lazy People get the axe first. Not with Finning because the Mechanics are part of the IAMAW99 union. Now the union will do their best for wages, benefits and severance. The problem is, the union doesn't care about you. I traveled all over BC and Alberta with this company and there are some great people here. But just like any company there is always management that looks out for their friends in the company. Not the customers, or the companies growth or even whatever the "right thing to do" would be.

Pros

Great wages and benefits

Cons

Terrible training schedule, forced to join the Union, constant layoffs

I will never work there again. Its not a good environment.

I would not recommend this company to anyone who actually likes to work. To many kids playing on their phones all day. Management knows and doesn't care. The Management treats it like it is high school not a job. Pretty pathetic actually.

Pros

There is none.

Cons

Treated like a child.

Blue collar work culture

Felt like working back in 1950s with some of the men in the Calgary branch. Didn't feel pay was competitive and did not have a good management/leadership. I did what I could to find another job and left right away after only working a 1 and some. I would avoid if I could but we all need to pay our bills somehow!

Pros

Not much work some days

Cons

No challenges, low pay, work culture, management

Toxic Work Enviroment

The pay at Finning is very fair. Salaries are strong and to Finning's credit, there wasn't a mass layoff during COVID-19. But, the work environment is toxic. The tone from the top is that employees are not valued. In response to horrid employee experience survey results, executive management blamed said results on poor executive communication; there was no responsibility taken for the toxic culture by management.When a recent spate of employees left to a competitor, executive management said "the doors aren't locked from the inside." The former summarizes the tone from the top very succinctly.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Toxic culture

A great place to work, should of been there earlier

Shovel and dragline crew in Edmonton were a great crew to work for and with . Its It's unfortunate that the competition had a stronger team selling their services than Finning had. There really needed to be key people involved when the expantion to shovels took place to ensure sucess and the involvement of the traditional staff and hourly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Finning. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement