Field Aviation Employee Reviews

Very poor management
machinist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2019
Poor management, Poor union practices both result in a very unsecure and unsafe environment, the only ones here that seem to get along with management are the ones with the ability to do whatever management tells them even when if it is unsafe or not within the specified limits. If the work order is wrong it is still the employees fault for building it wrong and if it is questioned, you are billed as a trouble maker. Company and union committee work so closely here that most times it is hard to distinguish the two apart from each other, that normally would be a good thing but not in this case. I was thrown under the bus by both company and union and would highly recommend finding a job elsewhere. Ultimately the management should be replaced by more knowledgeable and understanding people. Almost reminded me of how the now defunct Future Shop used to be run!
Pros
All but one employees are great
Cons
watch out for that one employee (Hint, cnc department)
Don't waste your time working here
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 February 2019
Worked here as a machine operator. Some of the people are great but the ones that aren't are so bad you'll hate coming to work. Many of these people have been there for many many years too so they aren't going anywhere no matter how bad they are. Too much stress, attitudes and management is a complete joke. COMPLETE JOKE.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, bad attitudes from some employees
Good work but management not so much
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2019
I’ve had the misfortune of dealing with field aviation in Calgary for some years now. I love the work and my co-workers but management is out of touch with how to treat people. They expect us to make miracles with out dated machines and offer little to no help, just insults and more pressure. All because the director of manufacturing M.L. Can’t keep his cool.
Pros
Decent pay and hours
Cons
Terrible management
have fun to chat with colleage
Designer-mechanical & structure (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2018
no management & no limit about socialize. some guys can chat about hours. poor management about everything. Given over time as long as you ask from other side that means extremely flex work time. Engineering department is big department but manage work manner still small stays as small department.
Machine Shop seems to have a revolving door.
CNC Operator/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2018
Had a bad experience with the programmer and was told that I am not the first one. Management (when approached) just said "yes he can be difficult to work with". I had problems the first week! The rest of the staff seemed to be friendly but watch out for the CNC milling area of the machine shop.
Pros
Great working hours
Cons
Leadership training needed.
Poor Management, unprofessional work environment.
Technician, Technical liaison (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 May 2018
Managers hire their relatives. Flagrant corruption due to family members working together causing malfeasance, which does not mix well with aviation fundamentals.
Pros
Taught me how to resist bad management
Cons
Unprofessionalism effects the bottom line on projects. Nepotism cost this business profits.
Small but friendly and knowledgably working environment.
Designer, Mechanical & Structural (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 April 2018
There is kind of R&D and diversity of work and lot of independence.
Engineering personal very helpful and team orientated.
Very pleasant place to work.
Well Organized and managed company
Shipper/Receiver, Eq. Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2018
My time here was informative, and productive. I acquired new skills, and sharpened existing ones. The management consists of a great balance of focus, and discipline tempered with understanding, and a desire to remove the roadblocks to ensure staff are able to meet quotas, or accomplish assigned tasks effectively.
Pros
good wages
Cons
union shop
Operations area the most disorganized and disfunctional I have ever seen
Avionics Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 November 2017
A great place to work if you are in the union - you can avoid working by hiding in the hangar and being on your cell phone all day and even if caught nothing will happen to you. Employees regularly refuse to do work which they think is beneath them. The culture here is do as little as you can, do not follow company rules, follow safety rules if you want to, or not, it's fine either way. If you are related or a friend of the person running the hangar floor you can get away with pretty much anything (stealing, causing damage, not doing your job etc..) with no repercussions. I would never risk my life by flying on any plane this company has worked on.
Cons
Very unprofessional
Great company to work for!
CNC Programmer / Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 November 2017
They are a great company to work for! They have great benefits for those who value having the ability to take time off! Like any job your opinion of the management generally relies on the type of worker you are. If you slack off and have them on your back, you will probably not have the best relationship with them. But if you are a hard worker they will like you and you them.

Want to know more about Field Aviation?

Ask a question
cleaned
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 April 2017
the company was very nice but very unorganized. i cleaned the whole building and hanger washrooms and the offices. i got holidays off and most weekends. the best part of the job was being able to go in when ever i wanted. i have a son and that helped a lot. the hard part was maintaining a clean building while running 24/7 services.
Fair pay, good place to gain experience in various fields
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 January 2017
Fair pay, good place to gain experience in various fields.
lack of proper management, not steady workflow, sometimes its too slow and sometimes too busy.
Pros
good benefits and RRSP
Cons
Lack of proper management
Enjoyed my time working at Field and left because I relocated. Miss them all!
Avionics Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 April 2016
One of the most enjoyable places and Companies to work for an overall busy but good work environment. Great people to know and made good friends along the way.
Typical day was very busy.
Job was demanding and deadline oriented.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Job is in Ontario and I had to move back to NL for family reasons
great job
electricion tech (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 January 2015
Great company with good benefits , lots of overtime , and excellent experience , I have learned a lot with in the 7 years of dedicated time .
Productive, Interesting, Great Hours, Easy management to work for
SHEET METAL TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2014
I enjoyed working for Field Aviation very much because of the hours, management, and great co-workers. The clean working facilities and safety work areas were an asset.
Very fast paced environment with great support systems
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2014
As a growing manufacturer of aircraft components and parts, the day was always busy, with many deadlines needing to be reached. The management team was well organized, and the goals set forth were both reasonable, and achievable.
Pros
Job security, and lots of staff bbq lunches
Cons
A fair number of mandatory programs due to union requirements
Fun work enviroment and friendly people.
deburring (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2014
It was a fun place to work at and i deburred small to large airplane parts, the people there were friendly and the work was repetitive by there was a large number of different parts to do. The hard part was making sure that the parts edges were smooth and did not have chatter.
my opinion
Sheet Metal Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2014
it was on and off, co workers were good, most of management I didn't care for, what I learned could have been much more if I was allowed. I enjoyed learning when I could though. Wasn't anything really good or bad about the company but I think they need to learn to take suggestions.