Fidus

Fidus Employee Reviews

Canada8 reviews
A great place to work with good work/life balance philosophy
Fidus is a great place to work. A good work / life balance is encourage at all times.

The management team is caring and good at providing support.

There are lots of opportunities to learn about different technologies and job roles. However, opportunities for advancement are limited,.
Engaging Work with Great People
I have really enjoyed working at Fidus. As an electronic development and consulting company, I have had the opportunity to work on a wide range of different projects, each one offering different technical challenges. Working at Fidus is never boring. On many projects, you are often the only engineer which provides you with the challenges of engaging customers and meeting project requirements while giving you the creative freedom to decide on how the job will be done.
In most cases you are self managing which offers benefits such as flex hours and working from home. The work environment is professional yet as a smaller company, you are not just a number. Also because of the nature of the business, job security isn't an issue. Of course, the free food doesn't hurt either!
Pros
Creative freedom, job security, free food
Cons
The challenges that come with working with different customers and different technologies
If you are thinking of working for Fidus, reconsider
I worked at Fidus for many years. While there, I learned a lot and enjoyed my work. The culture was amazing, my colleagues were great, very bright and vastly experienced. There was good work life balance too ,which made up for the relatively sub-par salary and mediocre (a joke really) bonus/profit sharing.

Things have really changed since I joined. What used to be a fun and inviting place to work has been on a constant decline. It is more evident that management undervalues engineers and treats them poorly - non-tech staff are treated even worse. Unfortunately, management is busy manipulating one another and playing at being important instead of working to ensure the success of the company and its people.

Although their words make it seem like they value their people, their actions indicate the opposite. Remember, actions speak louder than words. As a results, a large number of people have quit. Sadly, many new hires are being "let go" before the end of their probationary period.

Year ago, I would have recommended working at Fidus however now, there is no way that I would.
Fidus Engineering
Fidus is a small engineering company in Ottawa offering engineering services to various companies on contract basis. The company works on different technologies and some work is very interesting. management is correct and treats employees with respect
Great people to work with but often confusion with company direction
Great company with great people. Challenges include lack of corporate strategy and direction. The leadership team doesn't always agree and some decisions are made unprofessionally which hurt the company. Customers are still in huge demand for their services and technically very strong on the market.
Pros
Free lunch, productivity allowance, small
Cons
Unclear direction
Productive Fun Workplace
Excellent people to work with. Very mature people in a diverse engineering setting. You can learn a lot in this type of company.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Amazing group of experienced engineers
Fidus has a wide range of really experienced engineers mainly located in the Ottawa area. The team is really pleasant and it is a pleasure to work for Fidus. In terms of grown opportunities, due to the size of the company there aren't a lot of opportunities to move up.
Dynamic and continuous learning and applying.
A typical day begun with communicate the colleges in design team and checking the necessary tests for prototype and searching the component providers and technical specs for future manufacturing plan.
Great environment to work and learn, all the colleges are very communicative and very helpful. Management is real encouragement.

The hardest part, since the nature of job the market and clients requirements can be modified very quickly.

The most enjoyable part you can have a great joy of all the contributions by your colleges and yourself when the project progress, and finally come to an achievement.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Fidus?