Fernlea Flowers

Canada17 reviews

Insights into Fernlea Flowers

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Stable and great place to work

While working for this company I experienced how great it was to work for a family run local large business. The workload kept me busy, I was able to ask for help and feel supported. The company offered excel training and first aid cpr to staff while I was employed which was a great perk. For being very busy during their seasonal peaks, I felt they did a great job helping all different departments get through these busy peak times.

Get salary in writing

Change their minds about bonuses whenever it suits them. Otherwise fairly decent place to work. Need to be physically fit and be able to tolerate summer heat. Nice people at work place.

Pros

Good regional manager

Cons

Hard to trust their promises.

Punctuality is my main focus and insuring daily tasks are maintained and done efficiently

Overseeing the list of products that I was in charge of going on deliveries with driver whom would drop off product at stores in the region I’d be responsible for. Dealing with store managers and garden centre managers insuring regular sales continued, product was kept healthy and customers were taught brief knowledge of plant, vegetable products sold in stores.

good place to work

I enjoyed working here as it was my first job, the people are great. The work itself is fast paced and demands alot, you also don't have a scheduled end time so you could work 16 hours or more sometimes.

Amazing experience, taught many good working qualities

The typical day was a very interesting constantly changing experience with many different job opportunities, i learned many very useful working qualities like time management, individual working, and working as a team. The workplace was very diverse and i got to experience many different cultures and made many friends. The most difficult part of the job was the extreme heat conditions which were also very good practice for conditioning. The most enjoyable part of my day was being around so many friendly faces and experiencing the everyday work environment with friends

Under paid and over worked

Overworked and under paid. Too much bending down hard on your back. I rather work somewhere else i got paid cash so maybe that's why i was paid so low. My responsibilities were planting, spacing, loading, unloading, labeling, and cleaning when i worked there.

Poor working conditions

Was worked past 80 hours a week. Wasnt paid vacation pay. Was forced to alter truck daily log becaise I was working more than the 70 legal hpurs a week. By far the worst job I have ever had.

Pros

None.

Cons

Excessive hours.

Nice spring job

Drive forklift, receiving flowers off trucks that came from Florida and all around the country, take out dumpsters/ garbage, unload trucks of soil, move and put together racks, and load racks into back of trucks Working in the heat/ rain was challenging Meeting all the truck drivers

A quality place to work.

This job is unlike any job I've ever had. Any position you take here is going to be very niche to the industry, so get ready to learn a lot about plants and a lot about ordering them (if you're in the office). The workplace culture here is amazing - it's a family owned and operated business, and the head office is actually situated on the original family farm. They care a great deal for their employees and treat them like family. A long-time employee's son was extremely ill and they held a fundraiser for him, matching whatever was donated. I think roughly $25,000 was raised. Absolutely incredible. Quality people.

Pros

Family owned, catered lunches, co-workers are the best I've ever worked with.

Cons

Job is niche to this industry, long hours in the Spring (April-June, the rest of the year is great!)

Amazing place to work

The people there just make you feel like your apart of a big family! The work is amazing and enjoyable and you will never not want to go to work! It is the biggest family owned business that will bring you into their family!

Pros

Catered Lunches for events, flexible hours and amazing co-workers.

Cons

Seasonal Work

Good place to work.

Good place to work. Pays well. Excellent Employer. Good quality products that are easy to sell to markets. Enjoyed all aspects of the job from upper management to fellow coworkers.

Fun workplace

It was such a blast to work here. the people are amazing and everyone is willing to help no matter what. everyone is so kind and helpful i would recommend this place to anyone, it is a little bit of a hard job but it's worth it.

Hot Summer Job with lots of work to do

Hot days and lots of overtime to ensure the growth and maintenance of crops. Recognized for hard work and efficient work techniques.

Pros

Feeling of accomplishment seeing the grown plants shipping out.

very productive work place

working there is not bad since people there are open with each other and there are no bad habbits like stealing and arguing or fighting

Pros

free lunches and short breaks

Cons

Nice clean work place and friendly personal

I didn't work there long, but for the time I did the co-workers were very nice and didn't mind helping me with any questions I had. I found that they were very well organised and that they had very good safety regulations that were to be followed as well. For the short time I worked there I found that it was a safe and comfortable work environment, but it wasn't the type of work for me.

Busy Season

As a logistic's assistant, I was able to gain experience in the logistic part of the business. I mainly learned that information has to be well organized in order for you to do your job effectively and efficiently. My co-worker Wendy was absolutely amazing. She was so incredibly smart, and so patient when training me. I would spend hours upon hours with her because of the busy spring season.

Pros

Free flowers for mother's day

Cons

extremely long hours

Wonderful company

Helping out in both US and Canadian payroll, data entry, accurately maintained alphabetical file system containing employee personnel files, putting together new employee starter packs, developing reports for senior HR Officers on staff sick leave, absences, and holiday leave, and copying, faxing, and emailing documents

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fernlea Flowers. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7Job security/advancement