Fern Resort Ltd Employee Reviews

Great staff, long hours, low pay
Dining Room Server (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON13 November 2019
working here was ok, but the hours are so incredibly long, and the pay was low, I only worked 8 hours a day but you end up spending about 12 hours at this job because it's done in sections, i dont know how to explain it properly but there's periods of time where there's nothing to do because you work breakfast lunch and dinner and there's periods in between where there is no food being served so you have to sit around and wait and it literally wasted my life. you get long breaks obviously but who wants to spend extra unpaid hours at work when you're only working for 8 hours, not 10, not 12. Basically don't work here unless you drive or you plan on living on site. I biked about 10km to get there and 10km to get back home, so that was terrible. But on the bright side, some of the customers were absolutely amazing and kind, gave nice tips, and honestly the lady who trained me was the sweetest lady ever and the resort is gorgeous, like something in the movies.
Long Hours and Minimal Compensation
Server (Former Employee) –  Dining Room28 August 2019
I would not recommend this job to anyone who values their time. You are required to work split shifts (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) with each service taking between 2-3 hours. The guests can be quite snobby and rude (they are paying gobs of money to be there) and the kitchen often gets slow, because everyone comes to eat at once. The management is not always helpful or nice (if you get an extremely rude/mean table they will not let you switch with someone else) and staff often left their shift in tears. In your interview, they will likely tell you that you will get tipped well- this is NOT true, most days you will not get more than 5-10$. Your total days there will be about 15 hours (but you only work/get paid for 7-9hrs) However, on your breaks you are allowed to use the amenities (pool,etc) which is nice, however can be awkward to see guests/them to see you in your bathing suit. The other servers are generally pretty nice, and you make friends fast. Overall, you are better off getting a job elsewhere as it will likely make for a miserable summer and a lot of exhausting time at work.
Fun Staff accommodation life for any young adult looking for a foot in the door to the service industry
Server (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON26 August 2019
long hours but great summer fun with access to all the resort perks. fine dining experience plus many life long friends. Organized scheduling while working on a very clear and beautiful lake. 10/10 would recommend to any young adult.
Great in theory, bad in practice
Server (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON14 August 2019
Working at Fern Resort seems like a great opportunity until you're working there. They excite you up with all the fun activities you can partake in during your break, but when you're exhausted from working back to back days with split shifts, it doesn't improve the experience. The staff get overworked due to a staff shortage and paid minimum wage for this tough work. A lot of the team live on-site as a way to help manage the hard work and long breaks between shifts.
Pros
Free food, swimming, kayaking, paddle boating, fun activities.
Cons
Long hours, hard work, minimum wage, un air conditioned break room, unsanitary staff locker/bathrooms, exhaustion
Management is very unorganized and hours are difficult.
Server (Former Employee) –  Rama Road, ON23 July 2019
There are a lot of split shifts and not a lot of time to have a social life. The management is very unorganized and don't really know what they are doing.
Yikes
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON26 May 2019
The atmosphere in the kitchen is very toxic. The amount of sexist, homophobic, and unnecessary slurs that were tossed around to express another persons slow work was extremely terrible, ad I was once also told to go kill myself . Would not advice anyone to apply to the kitchen area as I felt unsafe and unwanted there. However the pay was nice, only because they gave me 1.5 days off a week, even though being promised 2 full days off each week.
Pros
pay
Cons
i had to work there
Fun place to work with amazing people
Assistant Server (Former Employee) –  Ramara, ON10 September 2018
Most enjoyable part of a job was the fellow employees.

Least enjoyable part was long split shift in dining room, and working multiple positions......
Great for a student summer job
Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON21 August 2018
Can be stressful at times, but the people you work with makeup for that. The guests that come back to Fern year after year are some of the nicest customers I've ever come across.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Split shifts
very long hours and very hard work for little reward
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON2 July 2018
Long days which sometimes weren't compensated properly for. The pay was as low as possible which is crazy considered it's one of the most demanding jobs I've ever had. High pressure to get everything done fast but also perfectly.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
terrible pay
You are allowed to use the facilities one not working
SERVER- seasonal (Former Employee) –  Ramara, ON18 June 2018
Working at Fernwood resort was overall OK, the split shifts and working inside all day was probably the worst part of working at Fern however being able to use the facilities and being provided cheap meals daily was a great benefit that made working atfern all the better
Pros
Lunch for $2
Cons
Split shifts as server
Work
On - Bartender (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON20 March 2018
WOrking at fern resort was fun and exciting. The diverse atmosphere in changing customers every day kept the job on point and interesting. I would return
Chill environment, Terrible people
Employee (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON28 February 2018
I applied to Fern Resort not knowing what I was getting myself into. I was a young and naive, fresh out of high school and had no idea what was in store for me. The employees are all high school drop outs with a teenaged mentality. I did not have a single day of peace since the day I started. Hands down the worst place I have ever worked. If you value your sanity do not work here.
Pros
Free food, access to facilities
Cons
Literally everything else
job i had
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON17 January 2018
this was a job i had, it was a very nice experience. Lots of food to eat and drinks to drink. lots of fun, lots. They also have tea if you dont like alcholic beverages.
Great Job!
Reservationist (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON9 January 2018
Sad to leave but had to relocate as I was starting post secondary studies. Would definitely work there again if I get the opportunity! Great work environment and the staff treat you as family.
Pros
free meals
Fun atmosphere
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON5 December 2017
Although I did enjoy my time at Fern Resort, the way I was treated in the end by people I had reallybonded with made me quite disappointed. I hope other's have a better experience than I did.
very comfortable and welcoming workplace with lots of great staff and guests
Play Village (Current Employee) –  Rama Road, ON15 October 2017
I love working at Fern Resort and I believe that it is a great first job to have, you should know that you will more then likey to work slipt shifts. My current job at Fern is working with the kids that come as guests and making their experience of coming to the resort fun and enjoyable.
Pros
free lunch once a week, at least two days a week off and pays well
Cons
split shifts
great people
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON11 July 2017
It was a fun place to work, great people and great staff, good work flow and the benefits of enjoying the resort as a staff member was a new but good bonus to the job
it was okay
Night housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Ramara, ON26 February 2017
It was a good job, can be a little stressful at times. Often worked by myself completing nightly laundry and housekeeping duties. The head Housekeeper was a fantastic boss.
Fun work environment
Leadhand Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Rama, ON9 January 2017
Busy summer days
good co workers
nice environment
advanced my cleaning skills
had alot of opportunity to improve my customer service skills.
furthered myself independently and as a team player.
Great Place
Server (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON31 August 2016
By far one of the greatest places Ive ever worked. Very fair management, everyone does there best to understand individual situations and trys to accommodate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fern Resort Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

Fern Resort Ltd Reviews by Location