Federated Co-operatives Limited Employee Reviews

An organization that is struggling to modernize
Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 July 2019
FCL is an organization that is struggling to modernize. There is a focus on management fads that is driving up costs and is increasing the size of departments with limited impact on organizational success and creating a bloated bureaucracy. It is good place to get some experience but not a good organization to for a long term career.
Cons
Nepotism is rampant throughout the organization.
Cruel Intentions horrible company
Management (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK15 June 2019
This is not a good company. Extremely un professional with non educated management. Who do not practice what they preach! It’s a cut throat business with the company ready to lie to you around all corners. Famous words it’s your business in the business. And you will be treated as so with zero respect to your personal life and your compliance even when you strive for excellence you will never be good enough. Women are treated very much differently then men are in management. And your pay scale will reflect that. If you are ready and willing to be walked over and treated like you don’t matter then this is the job for you. To be over worked with no sympathy to your personal health. Get ready to work 15 plus hours a day and never be compensated and made for it to be turned around on you that you are not good enough. This company is terrible and full of lies and deceit. The famous rule of their code of ethics is a joke maybe upper management should comply to instead of pretending they follow their code of ethic that is only words not even remotely close to being held with honour and followed. I can never support such a horrible company like Co-op now that I’ve seen the inside of their company and the lies that are stacked so high on top of each other it’s disturbing to know that people are lead to believe this is a good company. Beware of you next move to working in management with-in Co-op.
Pros
Management benefits paid fully by company
Cons
Hours -pay-lies-made to feel less of a person
Good people. Financially sound company.
Contract Reservoir Engineer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 March 2019
Good people. Financially sound company. Oil and gas division in integrated into corporation so it is not independent. Employees treated with respect. Head office in Saskatoon.
Pros
Treat employees well. Financially sound.
Really enjoyed my time at Federated
Corporate Accounting Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 January 2019
I was in a number of roles during my time at Federated. The company was a great place to work and a place I could be proud of for their community support. The position I was in before I left involved managing a large number of entry level employees and the amount of training, interviewing, and hiring I was having to do was ultimately why I left the company.
Great people. Good company. Problematic middle-management.
IT Manager / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 November 2018
As is typical of most large companies, the "head" doesn't always know what the rest of the parts are doing.
If you end up in a well run dept, awesome. If not, good luck.
Pros
Stable company, well diversified.
Cons
Individual fiefdoms are allowed to exist, to the expense of the company as a whole.
Negative atmosphere, lack of management skills.
Millhand (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MB12 November 2018
Treated quite unfairly. Poor managmment skills. Wouldn’t request anyone applying here. Such a negative atmosphere. You’ll get threats of termination if you don’t work overtime when we aren’t scheduled to do so.
Pros
Benefits and wage
Cons
Worse company I never worked for
Server admin (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 June 2018
It still survives in 21st century because of its refinery. Toxic culture and hopeless management insane politics. They say so and do different Be quiet if have a family to feed and always look for other jobs.
Pros
Good place to retire
Cons
Too many to list
Not the best company in Canada to work for
Consultant (contract) (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 June 2018
Not the best company in Canada to work for. Small town mentality. Too much politics. Very unproductive environment. People only work here because they cannot find another job
Pros
Good salary to retain employees.
Cons
Too much politics.
Worst place to work
Server admin (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 June 2018
Very bad company. Management and the HR both are not infavour of employees. They never hire any local in IT and always bring people from different cities. If you are outspoken then thats mean you will get fired soon.
Pros
Cons
Many
very productive place to work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 November 2017
always had something to clean, I learned a lot of different things such as how to use an auto scrubber and how to open up walls they had in meeting rooms. most enjoyable part was working alone.
Productive and fun workplace
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 November 2017
I was an order picker/packer, the job was fast paced, there was always someone around for assistance if needed and my colleagues were all great people to work with.
Pros
Very friendly environment
Cons
Repetitive work
Great Workterm
Team member (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 November 2017
I was working at FCL as part of my university co-op program. I was one of four students hired for the summer months. I worked on a variety of projects such as implementing changes to a fleet program, migration of files from one system to another using windows explorer. Overall, I found that it was an enjoyable 4 months and I would happily work there again.
Not a place I'd work again
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 September 2017
Typical day at work...frustration for 8 hours.

What I learned.....why I don't want to work here.

Management.... this is a show stopper for success. CEO has a good vibe, but the buck stops there. Mgmt pushes from the back instead of leading from the front. Opportunity squandered and lack of decision making ability hinders ability to move forward, or find success in any part of your job.

I'm sure there are happy employees that work here. If you want to do a set of tasks over and over, and never want to ask questions, or change anything, this is the place for you.

They call their IT department Innovation. They are still looking for something to Innovate. You fill out an expense, use a mainframe to submit, print it out, get someone to sign your expense, walk your paper to a desk that processes the expense. Just one example of an archaic issue that many companies solved 10 plus years ago.

Coworkers are usually good. One of the few bright spots. They try to make a difference but that is tough to do when management has too few bodies doing too much work.
Pros
nice cafeteria, benefits are OK
Cons
too many to list
Company has great revenue stream
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 August 2017
Financially stable
Community based particularly rural communities
Management is adapting to business forces
Technology is being enhanced
Business transformation is going on for the last 5 years
Pros
Stable organization
Cons
On-going business transformation
Revolving Door and terrible culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 July 2017
The company pays well and has a lot of open positions. However, it is a revolving door. The management cannot handle criticism and prefers lazy staff who are interested in 10 am and 3 pm tea times and who have been positioned in roles they know nothing about. The company hires experts but they do not let them do their jobs.
Pros
Enticing Salary
Cons
Horrible work culture
Productive to my duties
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 May 2017
may company now. is good benefits. good salary. we have to upgrade ur skills to do something in warehouse. you will train any machine to operate like forklift., power jack.
Good job always busy, fast pace
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 May 2017
Many people working together, good pay and benefits.
Like the job learned to do the job the right, safety. Respect in most jobs and people. They have a social community which does a good job in events. Benefits are good and management are a good group
Pros
Skills, people fun lot, security
Family oriented
Statement Accountant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 April 2017
Some of the co workers are easy to work with. If you ask for a family day, there is no second thought about it, because they want you to attend to family needs.
Pros
New managaers are better.
Cons
Some people are hard to deal most especially those who has been there for a long time.
senior dba title but junior job, not worth it
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 January 2017
Not many IT companies needing dba's in Saskatoon
No team mentality, dba work is undervalued Title is for a senior dba, but assignments not really worth it.
Bad career move, not much room for career growth
Pros
loved saskatoon, would haved stayed with another company
Great company to be a part of
Regional Warehouse Supervisor - Shipping (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK11 January 2017
Great team, very supportive senior management.
Great place to start your career as there is no limits to what you can achieve if you put your mind to it. Unique work atmosphere and culture. A great learning and professional experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Federated Co-operatives Limited. Our community is ready to answer.

Federated Co-operatives Limited Reviews by Location