Fastenal

Kitchener, ON33 reviews

Found 33 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,370 reviews
industrialbranchsaleproductsalaryinventorydeliverycommission

Decent work environment

In almost 7 months of work, I feel like I've learned a lot about my job as an order picker. It has been pretty neat to pick, pack and sometimes sort the orders that I'm involved with. In the overall process of Supply Chain Management, picking definitely has an impact. The reason is, you have to make sure your orders that you pick are correct and accurate. Then the other procedures, shipping out inclusive become easier.My only peeves or inconveniences would be the occasional dust that can be there when picking packages as well as the rare high frequency of heavy picks or large quantity orders and the malfunctioning of processing equipment (monitors, scanners, printers) in the time you're actually picking!

Horrible place to work.

Only managers get fulltime benefits. No benefits at all. Rude managers and not very understanding. They watch you like a hawk and monitoring how long it takes you to do each task.They have their favorites and if you're not it then they will make it hard for you. They also give you write ups for mistakes even when you're a few weeks in. Not the best environment. Don't work here.

Insights into Fastenal

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Workplace that used to be great, but has declined rapidly.

My time spent at Fastenal was honestly great the first year. But due to changes in management that occurred somewhat recently and the way things were being run, it rapidly became a bad place to stay employed at. From the department suddenly becoming overworked, and encountering days with absurd overtime one of the days being a morning shift that went from 8:00 am - 7:00 pm (when we are scheduled to end at 2:00 pm). I understand that overtime is expected at Fastenal, but it came to the point where afternoon shifts that started at 4:00 pm started going until 12:00 am to the occasional near 1:00 am, when before they would only go until 10:30 pm - 11:00pm. I believe that this job once was different from the common warehouse job and where people would leave in a good mood. But due to the changes, the work environment had declined and people were leaving a lot more frequently. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone other than those who only care about the pay.

Ok place to work

Good pay for what you're doing. Management can be kind of condescending and rude, but this depends on how hard of a worker you are. Be ready to work hard and sweat a lot. Good place to make friends but management can worsen the experience for sure.

Low pay, expectation to over work with high volume of workload, poor management, crazy office politics and gossips

The company only cares about the bottom line and have less to no interest in employee's wellbeing. Pay was too low for the workload you get and the office politic is awfully bad and no sense of team exists.

Pros

flexible hours for part times

Cons

low pay, workload, office politic

Good place to work if you have the right ambition.

Your boss may not be the nicest but there is opportunity for growth here. If you stay long enough you can even become a manager to your own Fastenal location.

Pros

room for growth

Cons

your manager might suck

Internal Promotion and a strong inclusion environment

In almost every department it's about working together as opposed to working "for"...The founder has 10 rules of leadership and they involve things like "Suppress your ego""Challenge Rather than Control"Most managers work according to those rules and let good people do good things.

Pros

Good personal responsibility environment

Cons

None unless you get the wrong manager

No culture and always part-time so no benefits

No culture and always part-time so no benefits, they also provide little relevant training and will not sponsor most education opportunities. Management is a clique that very few are allowed into.

Negative experience

Very negative experience. Cut throat and full of lies. If you need a job for the sake of having a job they arw flexible but the pay is bad and no benefits. Management only cares about themselves and will tell you what you want to hear while takong advantage of you and your health. Dont stay for long and if you wish to move up in the company, then swallow your morals

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Everything esle

Love working here

A typical day at Fastenal is energetic and always surprising. The people in this company strive to work in a team-spirited environment. I enjoy sorting the products to their designated places. The hardest part of this job is when there are lesser colleagues available and production needs to be steady.

Mean and aggressive to their employees

They are mean to their employees. They also wont follow the Ontario disability act. They will purposely make you work over 45 hours a week but not bumb you up to fulltime so they wont have to pay out benefits

Pros

Weekends off

Cons

good workplace with good people

I sorted Boxes into pallets. I learned teamwork, initiative, and hard work while employed here. The management is good. The most enjoyable part of working here was the coworkers.

Office staff have no clue as to MTO LAWS the 3 in charge of the drivers are clueless and not qualified to run logistics 2 failed truck drivers and a young women who is very nice as long as she gets her way .Job pays well if you can get your run done in shorter time but not paid overtime when things like weather go side ways Pay structure is very messed up good luck figuring it out They claim big yearly salary but it doesn't work out at the end of the year Overall the Job is not bad but middle management and driver supervisors are un qualified and tell you what you want to hear to get their product out

Pros

Pay equipment

Cons

Management..pay structure confusing and not accurate

I worked at Fastenal for a few years while I was in college. I was a material handler that later became a supervisor. I was always treated well by management and co-workers.

Pros

good staff, good management, low stress environment

Cons

pay wasn't the greatest

Nice work environment

Nice manager, good work environment, very safe, good pay and days off. Liked to work with my team and they gave very flexible hours for college and high school students.

Productive workplace

I am able to work overtime to increase my income. My coworkers are very friendly and care for the well being of others. We work in teams to make everything work.

Pros

able to work extra hours

Cons

very physically demanding job

Just stay away

Just stay away The company is not worth the headache The pay is ok management is really bad and if you do decide to go just remember we told you so

Pros

Pay is ok

Cons

Management of the company is just bad

Great, but could be better

If you are a student, this job is perfect as the hours are flexible...but that's really the best thing. If the location is significantly out of your way you would be much better off looking somewhere else.

Pros

Take as much time off whenever needed. Great break room

Cons

No permanent full -time so you can't make as much as you should/could

Standard factory job

nice relaxed atmosphere, fun management some parts were heavy work but other areas are nice and easy going. not bad salary as well as hours were standard . good overall experience

Pros

day shift

Cons

heavy lifting in material handling

Good atmosphere and work enviorment

The workers are great and management is nice, the work does get repetitive but because of the coworkers it is an even balance of good to bad, I would recommend working here.

friendly staff

i enjoyed my time at fastenal they believe in competitive salaries encourage safety and have a friendly environment. one of the hardest parts of the job was picking but i did enjoy it as your were needed to have a certain production rate and it was very competitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fastenal. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement