Fastenal
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

Fastenal Employee Reviews

Showing all 3,204 reviews

Decent work environment

In almost 7 months of work, I feel like I've learned a lot about my job as an order picker. It has been pretty neat to pick, pack and sometimes sort the orders that I'm involved with. In the overall process of Supply Chain Management, picking definitely has an impact. The reason is, you have to make sure your orders that you pick are correct and accurate. Then the other procedures, shipping out inclusive become easier.My only peeves or inconveniences would be the occasional dust that can be there when picking packages as well as the rare high frequency of heavy picks or large quantity orders and the malfunctioning of processing equipment (monitors, scanners, printers) in the time you're actually picking!

Fun place to work

Fastenal was a fun place to work and the staff were awesome to work with. I always was challenged and looked forward to coming to work each and every day.

Insights into Fastenal

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Too much responsibility for pay

Had to cover multiple rolls all the time as they run a lean system which is basically an excuse to hire the least amount of people. It took me way over time to be able to meet expectations since they were way too many tasks to complete daily.

Good

This a decent place to work so I understand if people choose to work here, this job does have a high turnover rate, so if you’re good then you should be able to keep your job

Overall

Wouldn’t recommend working here used to be a sorter they would overwork you and they wouldn’t care about you when you’re one of the best workers. Not bad for starters though

Not a bad place but don't pay well and hard to get full time.

Pretty much it does not give me a reason to leave but it doesn't give me a reason to stay. I enjoy what I'm doing there but the pay is not the best and it's hard to get full time. Only raise I got was competitive raise but not because of my performance or being there for years.

Pros

You do get Health and Retirement even at part time and Mon-Fri is Nice

Cons

Pay and hard to get full time.

Decent pay, but not worth the aggrevation

Work is easy enough and most of the managers are nice people but they straight up will refuse to fix any issues with employees. I.e. constantly walking away, sitting in the break room on the clock, and just not doing the job they're paid to do. Personally have brought up concerns to no avail or just a throw away answer at least in my experience. Management is a basically a joke, choosing when and who to enforce company policy on, and will reward those who dont work and punish those who do. It's not a bad job, and the pay is competitive considering but this job is not worth the stress or compensation and how its run.

Fastenal is a Place for the good old boys

Fastenal has the worst insurance plan I've ever seen! Everything goes towards your deductible.(Which is high). Cost is high also!Bosses and managers talk down to you, treat you terribly as if you don't have a brain. The pay is pretty bad also, you get paid the 1st(commission) and the 16th, if you are smart enough to figure it out they are taking advantage of you! Not worth the time and effort. Their 401k match only deposits once a year.

Pros

Hours no nights or weekends

Cons

NO Breaks, you work through breaks and eat standing up while you work! Terrible pay and insurance.

Good place to work. You meet a lot of interesting people and get to deliver so you’re not stuck in the store all day. Paid lunches and work is very easy

Pros

Good work hours

Cons

Hard to get on full time

Great people

Loved the people but like all corporations you are a body and that is it. Both good and bad management and when you get the good it's great when you get the bad you look to leave.

Equipazo.

La pasé muy bien trabajando en el branch en el que estaba.

Do not work here

This is NOT an EEO company. Discrimination is a daily occurence that runs all the way up to corporate. Favoritism is the only avenue for advancement. Professionalism is sparse at best. On job training sets you up for failure. There is almost zero teamwork whatsoever, not just in your immediate department but also throughout management. It is a very self centered and self-serving work environment.

Good company for hard workers

All they care about is your sales dollars. And profit margins. They keep track of your every move with the iPad that they give you to use. Feels like the company is moving away from outside salesman’s

Pros

Good compensation

Cons

Expected to work 50+ hours a week

Faster-paced, productive job with many opportunities

Fastenal offers extensive benefits for FT employees. The ability to grow within your branch is excellent. Team work is a must, and you’ll find much of that at Fastenal. There is such a wide variety of positions available. If you’re a parent or caregiver, Fastenal’s schedule is very flexible.

Pros

Flexible schedule, no weekends, team environment, benefits

Cons

Complicated computer systems, pay is decent but could be better

Awesome Entry Level Opportunity

I started part time, worked into outside sales, then as a GM. Good place for a younger person fresh out of college, or for someone interested in learning sales.

Pretty good company to work for. Lots of opportunity to move up and regular significant raises are given.

Lots of driving all around California. If you like to drive then you'll probably like this job because that's about 50% of it. The other half is installing the vending machines and dealing with customers.My boss was an angel! She was very understanding about everything and was the best boss i've ever had. She started as a warehouse worker so she knows what's up and knew realistic expectation.Sometimes the plan you had before getting to a site gets thrown out the window but if you like to think on your feet then it's not a huge issue.

Pros

Lots of freedom, realistic expectation, regular raises

Cons

-long drives, plans don't work out a lot

Pretty decent

Good work/life balance willing to almost come up with a schedule that works well for you. Some managers are good some are bad. The bad ones will harass you all day until your manager comes up and speaks up for you.

Great learning experience with opportunities to move up

Working at this company has been great, not only have i learned a lot about different tool parts and materials, as well as about a number of different industries that we provide for, such as aerospace and manufacturing. On top of this I’ve learned a significant amount about the technical side of sales, such as online systems and payments receivable.

Has potential but doesn’t fill any expectation

I work here in the sortation department, unfortunately this place is mismatched in almost every aspect, lack of common sense is a huge denominator, they overwork and under pay hard working people, the turnover rate is extremely high, I see it every day,. the facility is nice and is climate controlled and the cafeteria area is large and clean, plenty of parking space.

Not A Great Work Environment

I had a handful of good co-workers but most of the people I worked with were very unpleasant to be around and work with. A lot of my branch managers throughout the 2-1/2 years I was there were extremely unprofessional, rude, and unfriendly as well as a few Outside Sales Reps. As an sales associate they treated me very poorly and left me with a ton of responsibility that was way above my pay grade. My District Manager and General Managers would either did not want to be bothered with any concerns or issues I had or just refused to take action. Ultimately, I did not want to become an Outside Sales Rep as that was the only place to move up to, and I was tired of being treated so poorly so I left.

Pros

Decent Work Life Balance

Cons

Pay wasn’t great at all. Co-Workers we’re extremely impatient and rude with me.

Good place with plenty of oppurtunity

Allows for advancement but management is lacking and it is a buddy buddy system so once you make it to management you never are removed from the role. Safety is not high priority unless it negatively affects production or another department.

Pros

Flexible hours, great people

Cons

Healthcare, lack of support, everyone is worried about getting in trouble

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fastenal. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement