Fastenal Employee Reviews

Found 115 reviews matching the search See all 2,240 reviews
Not a good store to work at.
In Store Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON15 May 2019
Racist and homophobic management, rude employees. All in all a toxic work environment, as I was mocked for my ancestral history. On many occasions the manager would throw or brake product, then demand that I write it off under "store use." Till was out frequently due to the many IOU's that passed through it. Otherwise Fastenal was a great company to work for.
Pros
bbq every friday
Cons
poor management
Material handling/Inventory Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 May 2019
I worked at Fastenal for a few years while I was in college. I was a material handler that later became a supervisor. I was always treated well by management and co-workers.
Pros
good staff, good management, low stress environment
Cons
pay wasn't the greatest
Nice work environment
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 May 2019
Nice manager, good work environment, very safe, good pay and days off. Liked to work with my team and they gave very flexible hours for college and high school students.
Toxic Masculinité et attitude général "je m'en foutisme"
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  BC8 May 2019
FASTENAL : l'équipe de managers et les speudos managers pourrissent l'esprit d'équipe en mettant à l'écart des collègues sur une base régulière, beaucoup de temps perdus à bavarder et à ne pas faire leur travail donc rarement productif... Les part time ont généralement tout à faire pour les vendeurs. Ce qui est plutôt incohérent avec leur promesses grandir via un service de qualité... Ce n'est pas réfléchi pour bâtir une équipe forte, mais pour être "esclave" de ce speudo système ou les vendeurs ne font que parler et rarement agissent.
Tout cela, encourage la paresse et les abus des employés et laisse un goût amer.

Si vous êtes une femme, sachez que vos collègues seront très possiblement sexistes et vous serez juger très sévèrement en comparaison avec vos collègues masculins pour la même tâches.

Bref c'est toxique ou très peu humain comme manière de gérer les équipes, les problèmes et toutes communication.
Pros
Virement automatique de la paye
Cons
Environnement Sexiste, rigidité du management et un système inventaire vraiment médiocre et compliqué
Fastenal
Picker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON6 May 2019
I worked there 13 years ago and i was pregent. It was a boys club hardly any girls worked in the warehouse.
They had a worker there that was a loose cannon ..Which he said something to me that he hope that me and my baby die. Went to managment and by the end of the day everyone knew.
This person ended getting fired becouse what he said.
But afterwards i was treated like a outcast afterwards and no one wanted to talk or be around me.
Was such a bad experence i had to leave that toxic work place.
Pros
Nope
Cons
Nope
Productive workplace
Merchandiser Receiver (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 March 2019
I am able to work overtime to increase my income. My coworkers are very friendly and care for the well being of others. We work in teams to make everything work.
Pros
able to work extra hours
Cons
very physically demanding job
Just stay away
A Z driver (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 March 2019
Just stay away The company is not worth the headache The pay is ok management is really bad and if you do decide to go just remember we told you so
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Management of the company is just bad
Good place
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 March 2019
It’s a lot of fun at fastenal, you work but also hang around and have fun with the co workers. It’s easy work especially for 16/h. They’re pretty lenient with taking time off
Pros
Easy
Cons
Kind of early
District a Wreck
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 March 2019
Worst managed company I have ever experienced. Over complicated Inventory Management system led to general confusion on daily basis. Young gun manager lost, made employees work in winter clothes for weeks and refused to get heat fixed due to "no frills" culture. Sketchy training then thrown into sales cycle.
Pros
Plenty of room for improvement
Cons
Great, but could be better
Customer Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 February 2019
If you are a student, this job is perfect as the hours are flexible...but that's really the best thing. If the location is significantly out of your way you would be much better off looking somewhere else.
Pros
Take as much time off whenever needed. Great break room
Cons
No permanent full -time so you can't make as much as you should/could
False Hopes/Entry Position is Terrible
Industrial Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON16 January 2019
Being with Fastenal in Cambridge for a year... Stuck as part time as it's their entry position... Been promised multiple times a full-time position... Never does it appear. Without that you can't make commission, you don't get bonuses, there's no salary, only 30 hours a week, and no benefits... It's "OK" if you have another job I suppose, but if you're looking for any possible type of career it's no good. The job itself isn't too bad I guess. I make the same amount of money as the new/old warehouse workers... Which is infuriating and degrading to me as I have SO much responsibility/stress to deal with. Whereas the several warehouse workers that stock shelves, pick orders, and clean have no stress and minimal responsibility... Yet they get the same pay as me and sometimes even more hours than me if they have lots of receive/pick, etc. All in all, the people who do the interviews mislead the job itself and don't believe in promotions as "the company already pays you enough" to begin with... In their words, not mine. So in order to get a promotion, you need to obtain fulltime which is next to impossible. I've seen many people come and go in my time there as well as heard stories from the past. Quite the turnover rate.
Pros
What pros? I suppose a Dodge truck you can drive around in from time to time.
Cons
No breaks or lunches, have a granola bar in your pocket to eat whilst working if you get hungry...
Great company with opportunities to grow within
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Bolton, ON12 December 2018
Some people have written that being a Fastenal delivery driver has "mundane" tasks! I'm not sure which companies delivery drivers have "non mundane" tasks,
The great thing about Fastenal is that the so called "delivery drivers" have every opportunity to move into different roles, like account specialists, outside sales people, operations managers, etc within the branch or move into roles outside of the local branch like safety specialists, vending solutions, lean 6 sigma implementation roles, and many others.
If you are a HARD WORKING SMART and AMBITIOUS person Fastenal is a great company to begin a career with and grow with as the corporation is growing and expanding every year.
I would have to say the vast majority of negative reviews would have to be coming from people that didn't have the 3 attributes above.
Pros
Only promote from within, new challenges and tasks each day
Great Team
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON15 November 2018
Sales positions are paid partially on commission, delivery drivers are hourly, everyone works towards the store sales goal, if goal is met then non-comission employees get a bonus each month. We haven't missed goal in years so I think everyone is doing quite well on their pay
Pros
Great team
Cons
Can't stay home in bed all month and expect to make money.
Micro-manager
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON12 November 2018
No concerns other than the bullying micro-managing store manager. All the employees were subjected to it and upper management did not deal with it. Customers did not approve and complained quite a bit. Still nothing even though store lost customers which was then blamed on the sales reps.
Pros
Training system
Cons
difficult manager
Standard factory job
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 October 2018
nice relaxed atmosphere, fun management some parts were heavy work but other areas are nice and easy going. not bad salary as well as hours were standard . good overall experience
Pros
day shift
Cons
heavy lifting in material handling
High paced inside and outside sales requiring in depth product knowledge and account managemernt
General Manager (Current Employee) –  British Columbia13 September 2018
Due to lack of employee retention the position can be extremely demanding and stressful without the support needed to fulfill all duties. Recruitment and remuneration are a little low for the workload and responsibilities demanded.
Great Company For Growth
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB4 September 2018
Great company to work for who promote from within. Monday To Friday 7.30am-5pm which offers a good work life balance. Very good training program. Average pay and benefits for the industry with commision paid for F/T employees. You often get back what you put in.
Pros
Training, Hours Of Operation and Commission
Cons
Canada is often the forgotten child (US company)
Fun part time job at first
Shipper / Receiver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 August 2018
I really enjoyed all the knowledge and training I picked up at Fastenal. However the trucking system caused us to miss deadlines constantly and I could never advance past my initial starting position, despite the fact I was promised a raise for the entire second year.

The people I was on the floor with did their best to make ends meet and were good to work with, hardworking and honest. The district managers did not provide the tools to succeed however.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, interesting products
Cons
District managers
Great place for personal growth
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK26 July 2018
This company is an exceptional company to work for. You will always receive motivation for growth in your career. Lots of training and support from the district and company.
Pay structure could be more clear and better benefits.
Good atmosphere and work enviorment
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 July 2018
The workers are great and management is nice, the work does get repetitive but because of the coworkers it is an even balance of good to bad, I would recommend working here.