Fasken

Fasken Employee Reviews

Generally good people, some practice groups more difficult

Overall for a large law firm this is a good environment. Lots of training and skills acquisition opportunities- they really invest in their staff. Many people have been working with the firm for years, and the office I was in has a great, supportive environment among support staff. The attorneys with most practice groups are reasonable, decent people. However, where there are difficult personalities, the firm does not seem to be able to deal with, manage, or resolve problems. If you’re with a good group it’s an excellent place to work. If you’re in a practice group where there are one or two people with issues, you will probably end up moving on to a new firm as management and hr take a head in the sand approach.

Pros

Very competitive pay, most people are friendly and it’s a positive environment

Cons

HR and management need to work on resolving issues with a handful of difficult people

Good work-life balance and compensation

If you are a non-legal staff and want a good work-life balance, then Fasken is a great place to work. The tasks and goals are well defined by the team leads. Proactiveness might not be very well rewarded as the teams are still too siloed. But, it's getting better! The company is on a great track of innovation. Culture varies from team to team. Not too many things/events happening for non-legal staff.

Pros

Good pay, good work-life balance, structured and defined scope of work

Cons

Lack of events for non-legal staff, can get boring at times, HR needs to find ways to engage the different teams

Fasken is a good company. Management is fair with the employees and fantastic work culture. Everyone is supportive with new employees and are treated with respect. There are HR events that are really nice with catering and perks, which boosts employee morale.

Pros

surrounded by supportive co-workers and HR events are exciting!

Cons

I was a contractor and if I was hired as a perm employee, I would stay.

Excellent firm to work for

Extremely professional and collaborative international business law firm. Highly recommend. Best lawyers in the profession. Very fair and ethical. It is a privilege to work there.

Pros

Collaborative, professional, flexible, fair, ethical

Cons

Low salary, poor benefits, not much opportunity for advancement

Environnement concurrentiel

Répondre aux demandes de réservations de salles Exécuter simultanément plusieurs tâches Culture hautement professionnel Composer avec le stress, l'inquiétude des employés de bureau Côtoyer des avocats de très haut niveau

Used to be good - but tides are changing

Quick paced environment which can be stimulating however a lot of cuts have been made (staffing and office perks) which creates bad moral and a somewhat stressful environment.

Professional work environment with room for growth

Fasken is a great place to work. It is a professional yet fun environment. It's fast paced and challenging but you receive as much support as you need from anyone you ask. Everyone is always willing to help. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the life to work balance while remaining in a client facing role. Every day was different and it was never a chore to go to work in the mornings. I would recommend Fasken as a workplace to anyone.

Unfair and not good

Didn't like it at all and after my boss got sick I left as soon as I could.

Very stressful environment

I prefer not to complete this section. There is nothing to say or mention about this organization. My situation is an exception with 15 of my other co-workers.

Supportive Work Environment

Very supportive and friendly work environment, colleagues were helpful and on-boarding experience detailed and thorough, necessary to be successful in the position you were hired for. Very comfortable easing into a new position.

Excellent work but difficult personalities to work with

Loved the benefits and variety of work, but there are difficult personalities in this firm to work with. Paralegals have a good amount of flexibility which is nice for work/life/balance.

Excellent environment and great attorneys

This is a company that has a wide variety of attorneys, working in multiple fields. Excellent ambiance, up to date with their technology, willing to let assistants participate in projects.

Fun and Supportive Work Environment

As a seasoned legal secretary (read old school) I have to say I enjoy my job at Fasken. The HR Team are understanding and supportive and the lawyers (mostly) are an awesome, down to earth bunch. I have worked in several law firms (over 30 years) and have to say Fasken is up there in my opinion. I don't really understand the negative reviews to be honest. Its an extremely respectful workplace. The days of one-on-one assistants have gone the way of the do-do and law firms are running like businesses hence working for 3-4 lawyers is now the norm (The firm has to do this to remain competitive.) There are still floaters available to help with the workload which I know two of the seven sister's haven't had in close to 7 years. Fasken seems to attract good people and I have made friends here which I will keep for life. The most enjoyable part of the job are the lawyers and employees who are great to work with and hard work is noticed and appreciated.

Pros

Continual training courses in new technology and updating of skills, team environment

I took a lot from away from this job from my boss. Collegial, and team environment. There is advancement in the company. International Firm. like family.

Review

Great place to work at, friendly staff and environment. I have been here for a few months now and I am still adjusting to the office. Very accessible from the train as well.

Expérience très négative

Vieille gestion, irrespectueux, abaissant, manque de confiance

Pros

Salaire

Nice People to work with. No micro-management of employees

Great place to work with some of the leading intellectuals in the law field. No Micromanagement Flexible timings A lot to learn Great benefits Nice perks and events throughout the year

Terrible culture

The supervisor for legal assistants does not support the assistants and is more interested in advancing her own career. She frequently speaks poorly about the assistants and uses them as examples of what not to do. The lawyers on the litigation floor are arrogant. The assistants on the litigation floor are milicious and will stop at nothing to throw you under the bus for a mistake they made. You cannot trust anyone from HR/management down to the person who sits next to you. If you have an issue with a coworker or the lawyers you assist, you are better off keeping it to yourself or you run the risk of being fired. A practice I’ve seen time and time again as this firm has a high turnover rate. I did enjoy a few things about this firm such as the events and committee meeting lunches, the snacks if you’re working overtime, and the gym membership reimbursement. I realized that other Bay St. firms offer this too so it would not be worth considering employment at Fasken. There are far better firms on Bay St. with higher salaries in which management is really looking out for your best interest and not just the lawyers.

Pros

Free monthly lunches if committee member

Cons

Management especially supervisor for legal assistants

Fasken

Fasken seems to have difficulty attracting and retaining top talent. Firm wide organizational structure appears to exist at the outset, however it quickly becomes apparent everyone is fending for themselves. No cohesiveness between the partnership across regions trickles down to every administrative department. There's a long way to go to compete at global level.

Very Stressful

This company is well regarded in the legal industry. The job itself is very stressful and extremely busy. Job work/life balance was a struggle. Management was mediocre.

Very professional workplace with good values and culture. A peaceful place to work

Very friendly and accommodating culture to work with. Providing equal opportunity to learn all aspects of work life. Providing a very good induction and training. Actively involved in social culture. Hard work is appreciated

Pros

Stress free

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fasken. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement