Farm Business Consultants (FBC) Employee Reviews

Great Temp Job
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 December 2018
I got a lot of experience and learned many new things. It was a relaxed professional environment and they made it a safe place to ask questions. It was fast-paced but still enjoyable.
17 December 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your experience with FBC. We are glad you were able to gain experience and knowledge in your role in a supportive atmosphere.

Co op job
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 June 2018
This job was pretty good for a 4 month co op. Things start to go downhill once they implement 50 and 60 hour work weeks. I would not wish to work here long term.
18 December 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The seasonal nature of tax preparation and the deadlines we are working towards for our Members do require a focus on getting the work done in a timely manner. This translates into longer hours to get work done during the last few weeks of tax season for everyone.

Confused
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 June 2018
Upper management not supportive
Poor advancement potential
long time employees fired
Generally the firm puts too much emphasis on poorly rolled out plans
Very good individuals at lower levels of the company
17 December 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience working with FBC. FBC does have a “promote from within” strategy and many of our employees in leadership and senior roles have developed their careers at FBC.
Again, we appreciate your feedback. It allows us the opportunity to continue to improve.

Fun and open workplace
Taxation Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 May 2018
Workplace had a great environment, all workers were very kind and willing to help one another. Management seems to be a bit more focused on quantity than quality, but most people are very self-motivated to provide quality work. Tax season was the most difficult and many people end up working 11-13 hour days, almost 70 hours a week.
Pros
Great environment and good company culture
Cons
management could focus a bit more on customer retention then sales, very little room for job advancement and creativity
22 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experience working with FBC. The seasonal nature of tax preparation does require a focus on getting the work done in a timely manner. This results in long hours during the busy season to meet the filing deadlines. It is great to hear you had a positive experience while working at FBC.

Fun
Quality Assurance Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2018
I had a lot of fun working there. Employees worked hard but also had a lot of fun doing it. I would definitely recommend this business, smart people and they have fun.
22 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your positive experience working with FBC. We take pride in creating a positive work experience for employees and the opportunity to provide excellent products and services to our Members.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

Great company for a self-motivated individual
AREA SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2018
I worked here a long time and loved the people and the customers. I always felt well supported and appropriately challenged.

Great place to work-the hardest part is you'll need to be committed to developing and filling your sales funnel. The customers love the service.
20 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your positive experience with FBC. We take pride in creating a positive work experience and to provide excellent products and services to our Members and to make a difference in their lives.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 March 2018
Long hours in tax season, but that is predictable. Good leaning experience in tax. Overall good for accounting or intern students in their first/second year.
28 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback on your experience with FBC. Learning and development is a priority at FBC– enabling our employees to deliver an excellent experience to our Members while growing their career. We are pleased to hear that you have had a positive experience as a coop student (intern) and hope that your experience at FBC has contributed to your own learning and career development.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

Treats employess like disposable diapers
MSR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 January 2018
After a few weeks of very poor training you're sent out into the field, sometimes driving 2500km+ per week, to visit clients who are already enraged with the company over something they did incorrectly (or didn't do at all) previously. Then you have to ask those people for more money, to pay in advance for the next year's service. If you don't collect enough fees you get fired, and if you do you get to stay in the same job forever (no room for advancement at all). Good luck!
Pros
decent commissions
Cons
long hours, dangerous driving conditions, poor training
16 April 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience in your time at FBC. Preparing our employees to deliver excellent products and service through training and on the job coaching and feedback is a top priority at FBC. During the Tax Season the hours are long. There is room for advancement for the right candidate although most of our LTTs choose to progress to the Local Taxation Consultant role which better suits their desired lifestyle. Your feedback is important to us and we take it seriously. We will continue our efforts to evaluate and revise our training programs and improve our Member Service.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

Dod eat dog competition between cobsultants
Tax consultant (Former Employee) –  Regina calgary3 November 2017
I worked there in the early 90's the culture of get the renewal was most important things havnt changed. It's a me firdtnpoor quality training temp job they cycle threw new consultants on a weekly basis. If you need quick cash short term job ok not a career job
Pros
Quick cash
Cons
Your never home in tax season hard on a family
16 April 2018

We are sorry to hear that your time here at FBC was not positive. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with FBC. Preparing our employees to deliver excellent products and service through training and on the job coaching and feedback is a top priority at FBC. Your feedback is important to us and we take it seriously. We will continue our efforts to evaluate and revise our training programs and improve our Member Service.

lots of driving involved
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2017
Members located across a large area. Own vehicle required to travel to Members' places of business. Collect tax data on laptop and process tax returns.
Pros
compensation
Cons
lots of driving
16 April 2018

Thank you for your comments about your time with FBC. Our valued Members are geographically disbursed from British Columbia to Nova Scotia. One of the key benefits for our Members is that our Member Service Representatives meet with them in their homes and places of business to collect the necessary data to prepare their tax returns and provide consultation. We do our best to schedule appointments with our Members as efficiently as possible, however, the role does involve travel.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

the people are what make it
Employee (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 August 2017
the staff are great on a personal level. Management has a lot of room for improvement. long hours during tax season. they know how to throw a great party.
Pros
social events
Cons
mangement
16 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback on your experience with FBC. We take pride in creating a positive work experience and to provide excellent products and services to our Members and to make a difference in their lives. We know how hard our employees work during our peak season and we encourage them to celebrate when tax season is over.

Quality
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 August 2017
Lack of training, guidance, and supervision. Employees were overloaded with work which diminishes the quality of their services. The social aspect of the office was a positive.
16 April 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience in the training and supervision at FBC. Preparing our employees to deliver excellent products and service through training and on the job coaching and feedback is a top priority at FBC. Your feedback is important to us and we take it seriously. We will continue our efforts to evaluate and revise our training programs, develop our leaders and improve our Member Service.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

Environnement de travaille très productif
Chef de chantier (Former Employee) –  Sangha24 July 2017
Le nom de la société Forêt et Bois du Congo, le DG est un cousin, il a hérité la bois de son défunt père. Bref, je ne pouvais continuer au noir j'ai dû arrêté
Pros
Nouvelle expérience
Cons
J'ai travaillé au noir sans être declaré
Sr Analyst
Tax consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 June 2017
Cubicle environment.
Pay mediocre.
Friendly workmates.
Interesting sector of the economy.
Fascinated with financial sector.
Very well structured programs.
17 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience with FBC. We take pride in creating a positive work experience, preparing our employees to deliver excellent products and service through training and on the job coaching to our Members.

Horrible management, long hours,
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK24 May 2017
Long-hours manager only concerned about money not customers, staff, or quality of work. Office staff is not helpful to clients, or other staff. No reimbursement for expenses on hotels, meals or fuel and are expected to travel upwards of 50,000km/year
Pros
Cons
company needs a complete cleanup of management worst place I've ever worked by far
16 April 2018

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with FBC. Thank you for your comments. They help us make FBC a better place for our employees and our valued Members.

Not good listeners
Business Development (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 March 2017
A lot of room for improvement in order that value for money realized
Company is an old company and only in isolated areas with high quality service representatives is value for money available. Too much pressure for limited return on investment of time for most Field service reps. Company needs a management overhaul and a deep investigation into it's ability to deliver consistent quality service..
Pros
Great Proactive Concept
Cons
Needs a Complete Service Overhaul so promises consistently kept.
16 April 2018

I am sorry to hear that your experience at FBC has not been positive. We take pride in providing excellent products and services to our Members and to make a difference in their lives. We appreciate your feedback and take it seriously. We are committed to working to improve in areas where our Members are not receiving a great service experience.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

A second family, promote from within, flexible hours, stable.
Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 March 2017
A great bunch of people that feels like family to a degree. There are several events each year - pot lucks, bowling, holiday party, end of tax season celebration, etc.

FBC offers opportunities and support for development, and likes to promote from within. Transfers to other offices in Canada are possible.

Flexible work hours including working from home for some roles. At times you have the option to travel and work out of another office for a spell.

FBC has a long history in an industry that's not going anywhere.

Many long term managers and other employees = a wealth of knowledge and mentoring.

One suggestion for FBC: be more selective with the number and type of projects that a team or department is focusing on at any given time. Sometimes expectations are a bit unrealistic.
Pros
See main review
Cons
Some departments run with a very thin number of staff.
8 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We take pride in our efforts to create a positive experience for employees and the opportunity to provide excellent products and services to our Members. We are fortunate to have many staff that have a long-term relationship with FBC and that care about making a difference in the lives of our Members. We have implanted a process called 4DX from the Stephen Covey institute to keep focused and be realistic about our goals. Your comments are really appreciated. They help us to continue to improve and to make FBC a great place to work.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

Great place to work for those willing to provide great customer service
Developer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2017
Lots of opportunity for advancement. Great training is provided so those who are willing to learn and who want to do excellent work will be rewarded with good pay and a long career.

Hardest part of the job is getting used to the long hours at busy times of the year. Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are providing a valuable service to people, and working somewhat unsupervised. You have some control over when and where you work.
Pros
opportunity to develop a career - job satisfaction helping clients
Cons
long hours at certain times of the year
8 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We do encourage employees to grow and develop within FBC as our valued Members rely on our ability to provide them with value added planning and services. The seasonal nature of tax preparation does require long hours during the busy season. We are pleased to hear that you are developing your career and finding job satisfaction delivering an excellent experience to our Members.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

Excellent training program, appreciative of employees
Business Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 March 2017
The job itself is interesting enough to be fun. The training provided was very beneficial and comprehensive, I feel like I have the skills now to be good at my job and provide good service. Management has shown their appreciation to hard workers. I feel as though there is room for advancement if you are willing to work hard. Morale is good among the staff. Employee retention is high. Members we service are often quick to tell us how happy they are with the work we do which makes employees feel good about their jobs.
Pros
Good training program, appreciative management, room for advancement
Cons
The work is hard but if you are willing to do your part it is rewarding
8 May 2018

Thank you for your feedback about your experience with FBC. You and your contributions in your role at FBC are making a positive impact on our Members and in the communities that we serve.

Good Established Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada15 March 2017
Established business (60+ years) with great employees and branches across Canada. Work hard for good rewards. Opportunity to develop in current role or move to other roles.
Pros
Opportunity to learn and quickly develop in role
Cons
Hard work during tax season (expected with tax consulting work)
14 May 2018

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with FBC. We do encourage employees to grow and develop within FBC to better serve our valued Members. The nature of our business does require long hours during tax season.

Penny Longworth, HR Director

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farm Business Consultants (FBC). Our community is ready to answer.

Farm Business Consultants (FBC) Reviews by Location