Farm Business Consultants (FBC)

Farm Business Consultants (FBC) Employee Reviews

Canada45 reviews
Has good potential but management ruins that.
VERY little to none training is given, as your work is still expected to be completed perfect. also don't get paid if your work is not done. this company will hire people with 0 experience in field, and give next to no help to ensure your success.
Pros
Pay has potential to be good. good if you have experience in this field.
Cons
long hours, very little help.
Amazing Workplace!
The work I did was super rewarding! The community was great everyone worked super well together. I had lots of opportunity for growth and learned a lot about agriculture and the CRA.
Great job take all the training you can get you will need it.
3.5 days training to sell tax services, bookkeeping services etc. Zero additional training. I wanted to be trained for this job, Loved this company and was extremely disappointing with my sales manager who had no patience and got irritated with any and most questions. He was extremely self important and disinterested. Old car salesman tactics really do not work to sell to these products as he wished. The Model for selling these products and services needs to be changed from vintage car salesman tactics to the 2020s. This company finds great people but does NOT invest in them at all for the future. This causes a continual hiring process every three months and a lot of talent heads right out the front door.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
No training
2 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We take pride in the learning and development opportunities we provide our employees. We are sorry to hear this was not the case for you. Again, we appreciate your feedback and the opportunity it provides to find ways to continue to improve.
Great support and premise.
The Staff is devoted and committed to saving members on taxes. This is a flexible and well paying company that rewards dedication and focused work.

Plenty of perks too!
2 March 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a positive review based on your experience working at FBC. We are extremely proud of how our employees make our Members lives Less Taxing.
Morale is very low at this branch
Terrible communications, dishonest representations made to reps, decisions are never made with the employees in mind and if there is a problem created by the company the manager throws the customers under the bus.

Morale is very low. It all stems from the Manager being ill suited to her job. She has no empathy but wants everyone to give her empathy for the tough job she has.

Lots of talk about team work but it all focused on meeting her goals and has nothing to do with reps meeting their goals.

Policies are never explained and the manager does zero training. She yells at you for trying to help customers with problems. Office staff are always new inexperienced but try to do their best.

Everything is about making new sales. Once a new member is signed up they are treated terribly. 50% of new members quit after 1 year.

Manager uses the reps to work out her management reports in totally wasted day of meeting once a month.

When suggestions are made in ernest she yells at people and ssys it is not company policy. Later she does exactly that thing.

She cried in a meeting when reps made suggestions after she asked for suggestions.

Expects you to do service work all summer for free or even have to lose money because of your travel expenses. Couldn't care less if you make money.

Manager never deals with a problem until it is a crisis. Staff turnover is incredible because of her.

Watch your pay cheques. Good luck getting an ROE in less than 2 months.

Had a good experience working under a great set of manager in London prior to moving to the Smith
 - more...
2 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Our managers do their best to provide our Members with valued products and service through the efforts of the team. As does our payroll department to provide employees with their paperwork in a timely manner. We are sorry to hear that, in your case, you did not have a positive experience working with FBC. Again, we appreciate your feedback and the opportunity it provides to find ways to continue to improve.
Great work, great people
Loved working here under management. While a stressful time due to tax season, they still made it lovely and that was crucial to staying on task, and more than that enjoying what I did.
2 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review based on your positive experience working at FBC. For sure, the seasonal nature of tax season keeps all of our employees very busy!
Amazing and friendly
FBC is an amazing company to work for. it is a high demanding company however their demands are not unreasonable. I have worked for this company for 2 tax terms and look forward to going back every year
Pros
family like environment
Cons
n/a
2 March 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! We take pride in having amazing employees who thrive in a supportive work environment that we strive to create.
fast paced and friendly work enviroment
Very high stress environment because of the limited amount of time associated with tax season and all the work involved in preparing a return for a business, but the people who work there are lovely for the most part.
Pros
Lots of new expierence
Cons
work six days a week and nine hours a day.
2 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. The nature of our business - preparing tax returns for our Members, by the filing deadline, does require all employees to work longer hours during tax time.
A fish stinks from its head.
They treat people, employees and clients alike, like fungible assets to be replaced. There's a culture of "you're nothing without us" that is pervasive. Pretty bad.
2 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience working at FBC. We value and appreciate the work that our employees do for our Members. Through our annual engagement survey, we tune into and take action on the feedback our employees give us to create a positive and supportive working environment for our staff and our Members.
Great team members
Great team environment, very active social committee, very busy at tax time, slower during the summer, training is provided for all tax knowledge needed.
2 March 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of your positive experience working at FBC!
Lots of opportunity for advancement
If you enjoy sales and thrive with little to no support, this is the job for you. You will be expected to fix mistakes made by other reps, with little to no training, while under the gun at a clients house.
2 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are proud of training we provide and do our best to encourage and support employees to invest in learning and development. We are sorry to hear this was not the case for you. Again, we appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to find ways to improve.
Demanding
This company cares more about bottom line than customer cares.sales reps care more about commission than doing work properly.office staff end up doing their work while they receive the benefit.programs and training are nice.outside of tax season,work life balance becomes more life,from Feb thru June tho,be prepared to exit life.hi stress,but rewarding industry.
Pros
Great employees, training
Cons
All about buck management.quality of work takes backseat
2 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your experience working at FBC. The nature of our business, preparing tax returns for our Members, by the filing deadline, requires all employees to work longer hours during tax time. Our office team is critical to the business, providing support to our valued Members and our field staff (Local Tax Consultants) who meet with our Members in their places of business - collecting the data required to prepare the Member’s tax return. Our Local Tax Consultants are also responsible for renewing the Membership. They take pride in the work they do and rely on the support of the office team to double check the information collected and take steps to make sure it is accurate.
Good company but a lot of driving with your own vehicle.
A strong closer sales job. You need a reliable vehicle as the leads that are supplied are all over your territory which is quite large as it needs to be to stay busy. There are bonuses to be earned, nice trips to qualify for if your sales are in the top percents. Good training. The presentation as designed works. After you sign up your prospect there is a service team that takes over and maintains a high level of service and support.
Pros
Potential to earn good money.
Cons
Many miles on your own vehicle
2 March 2020
Thank you for your feedback on your positive experience with FBC. The nature of our business does require travel by our Local Tax Consultants and Business Development Representatives in order to meet with Members and prospects in the communities we serve.
very well managed company
were able to see a lot of new places and meet a lot of interesting people
had control of setting up your own appointments

fast paced

you had great backup available at any time
Pros
good money
Cons
a lot of travel
27 February 2019
Thank you for your feedback on your experience with FBC. We are glad that you were able to gain experience and knowledge in your role in a supportive atmosphere and that you enjoyed travelling and meeting with our Members.

Due to the nature of our business, extensive travel is required by our Local Tax Consultants to meet with our Members in the communities where they live.

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

Great Temp Job
I got a lot of experience and learned many new things. It was a relaxed professional environment and they made it a safe place to ask questions. It was fast-paced but still enjoyable.
17 December 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your experience with FBC. We are glad you were able to gain experience and knowledge in your role in a supportive atmosphere.

Co op job
This job was pretty good for a 4 month co op. Things start to go downhill once they implement 50 and 60 hour work weeks. I would not wish to work here long term.
18 December 2018
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The seasonal nature of tax preparation and the deadlines we are working towards for our Members do require a focus on getting the work done in a timely manner. This translates into longer hours to get work done during the last few weeks of tax season for everyone.

Confused
Upper management not supportive
Poor advancement potential

long time employees fired

Generally the firm puts too much emphasis on poorly rolled out plans

Very good individuals at lower levels of the company
17 December 2018
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience working with FBC. FBC does have a “promote from within” strategy and many of our employees in leadership and senior roles have developed their careers at FBC.
Again, we appreciate your feedback. It allows us the opportunity to continue to improve.

Fun and open workplace
Workplace had a great environment, all workers were very kind and willing to help one another. Management seems to be a bit more focused on quantity than quality, but most people are very self-motivated to provide quality work. Tax season was the most difficult and many people end up working 11-13 hour days, almost 70 hours a week.
Pros
Great environment and good company culture
Cons
management could focus a bit more on customer retention then sales, very little room for job advancement and creativity
22 May 2018
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you sharing your experience working with FBC. The seasonal nature of tax preparation does require a focus on getting the work done in a timely manner. This results in long hours during the busy season to meet the filing deadlines. It is great to hear you had a positive experience while working at FBC.

Fun
I had a lot of fun working there. Employees worked hard but also had a lot of fun doing it. I would definitely recommend this business, smart people and they have fun.
22 May 2018
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your positive experience working with FBC. We take pride in creating a positive work experience for employees and the opportunity to provide excellent products and services to our Members.

Penny Longworth, HR Director
Great company for a self-motivated individual
I worked here a long time and loved the people and the customers. I always felt well supported and appropriately challenged.

Great place to work-the hardest part is you'll need to be committed to developing and filling your sales funnel. The customers love the service.
20 April 2018
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your positive experience with FBC. We take pride in creating a positive work experience and to provide excellent products and services to our Members and to make a difference in their lives.

Penny Longworth, HR Director
good
Long hours in tax season, but that is predictable. Good leaning experience in tax. Overall good for accounting or intern students in their first/second year.
28 March 2018
Thank you for your feedback on your experience with FBC. Learning and development is a priority at FBC– enabling our employees to deliver an excellent experience to our Members while growing their career. We are pleased to hear that you have had a positive experience as a coop student (intern) and hope that your experience at FBC has contributed to your own learning and career development.

Penny Longworth, HR Director
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Farm Business Consultants (FBC). Our community is ready to answer.