Farm Boy Employee Reviews

You'll have some fun coworkers, but overall, it's a bit of a miserable place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 October 2018
Serving and assisting customer's needs, cleaning frequently after whatever work you've done, closing/opening a department, perhaps helping out in other departments if they're short staffed.
Cons
Very poor management who aren't always professional and will pick favorites
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 October 2018
Typical day at work : starts 1pm and is given a list of tasks that need to be done by the end of the day.
What I have learned : Being comfortable in your workplace is very important.
Management : Some really have their favourrites but some are fai.r
Workplace culture : Different feel , learn a lot of healthy food options.
Hardest part of the job : Very demanding on your time.
Enjoyable part : My co-workers
Pros
Learn about organic foods
Cons
Very demanding of your time
I recommend this place as a joke
Chef Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON2 October 2018
Terrible management. As someone who has worked in a few grocery store retail environments, this takes the cake. Was called useless by my manager because I was a college student and had limited availability. At night when you are trying to close and just go home, the store manager would walk up to you and ask you to do a random task 10 minutes before you are done that should be done by a professional cleaning company. One time I had injured myself and when I came back and told that my doctor requested that I do not work for a couple of days I was told by the "lovely" HR lady that the company would not provide me any support, even though the injury was their own fault because they would leave boxes of packaging on the floor in tight areas and did not care enough to have somebody clean it up. The old store manager took the side of the managers no matter what and with joy would yell at you in front of customers and would commonly walk by employees without greeting them. I mean if you hate yourself you might as well work here. Also, good luck ever getting a promotion as they heavily play favourites and it has nothing to do with the quality of worker you are. It seems to be so bad now that they have to post a help wanted sign at the department because the turn over is so high because of their unrealistic working expectations and lack of training.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, Verbal Abusive, Favoritism, Unrealistic Expectations
High pace, stressful work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2018
A typical day at work does not exist seeing as everyday could be different
I learned how to effectively manage a high stress situation
The management was helpful to the best of their ability
The wprkplace culture was poor seeing as the staff was constantly under high stress
Looks great..until you're hired.
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON7 September 2018
From the outside world farmboy looks like a great company.. its canadian, it promotes local foods, and claims to have the freshest products. HOWEVER, once you are a part of the team they schedule you for 10 hours shifts, which would be fine, except they have you work until closing ( sometimes that means 11pm finish times) and then have you scheduled for 8am the next day. I called those shifts clopens. They said there is room for advancement but I tried for a promotions for 3 years before they gave me one. They offer some health benefits but they treat employees like cattle. if you don't put 150% effort into what you do you are replaced. while working as a cashier I managed to stay employed for 3 years and saw hundreds of employees circulate. if you cant handle the heat, stay outta the kitchen!!
Pros
yearly raises.
Cons
long hours and difficult emplployees
Basic job with standard employee care
Grocery Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON22 August 2018
I felt great when I first started working at Farm Boy. In fact it took little to no time for them to recognize my hard work and dedication which led to my awesome job offers in other locations where new stores were opening. Upon accepting a position in Whitby, it didn't take long before it all fell apart by poor management leading to my struggle to maintain my duties as well as the duties of other departments.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
stress
Truly one of the worst jobs I have ever had
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 August 2018
Management talks a good talk but overall the managers are terrible. Hours cut for no reason, ask for more hours and get none. Terminated for no reason at all! Showed up on time for all my shifts, got along with coworkers, customers. no issues at all.
HR person on site is absolutely terrible, no support at all.
They write you up for any little thing and then provide no positive feedback on anything. No performance review after my 3 months probation, never had cash errors.
Its great if you are a student or first time in the job market, but absolutely not my lifes ambition to work there. Job was under stimulating, boring and wont even set foot in there to shop. Loads of other grocery stores with better prices and far superior customer service than Farmboy
oh and watch out for employees that steal from you while you are working
Pros
some coworkers
Cons
poor management
Meat cutter (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 August 2018
Good place to work. Friendly staff. Nice atmosphere. New tasks always availvble . Always look forward to learning new skills and tasks. Good job overall
Welcoming and motivated workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 July 2018
In my time working in the bakery at Farmboy, I would perform a variety of tasks such as baking, assisting customers, cleaning, etc. As my first actual job, it gave me insight on the workplace and the importance of customer satisfaction and productive time management. The hardest part of my job was the balance of tasks, there were many things to be done in a sort period of time and working alone alongside of it, which was a hassle at times. In contrast to this, the most enjoyable part of my job was the staff and my co-workers, they made me feel more comfortable and it was great making new friends.
Pros
Gaining experience
Cons
Too many tasks
bad management
Prep Chef/ Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 July 2018
the management really sucks. at first they act like they care about you but in the real sense they really don't. if you act like you know your right they start looking for ways to fire you. the managements do not care about your other aspects of life.
Good place to work, but not enough stimulation for my liking
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 July 2018
I overall enjoyed working at Farm Boy, the few downfalls that ultimately made me decide to leave were the fact that it's a very repetitive job, and I was only to stand in the same spot for hours on end. I personally like a job with a little more stimulation where I can move about the store, and maybe perform different duties in a day instead of just one.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Overly repetitive work
Deli & Chef Service worker
Cleaning protocols
Sterilization training
Food preparation
Display management
Pros
Customer service
Cons
Smell of meat
Fun and safe working environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 July 2018
A good place to get your first job. Great employees. Easy to follow along and easy to get into. Does not require much skill to manage. Management is not too good.
Worst Company ever to work for. there's absolutely no reconized for you work. Full lies and promisses. Take full advantage of good workers .
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2018
I worked for this company is not company you wanna work .This company is great if you like slavery and treated like garbage. Work for free everyone full-time if you wanna work for free go ahead it's the company for you. They don't pay overtime .
Cons
Its for high school kids
Supervisor, Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nepean, ON30 June 2018
Farm Boy has a negative atmosphere, theres no way to get promoted especially if you're a POC and they have no real benefit from being there. The managers expect too much from their employees and they have too many micro bosses (managers, assistants, supervisors, and specialist) they all give you different instructions and its hard to decide to listen to.
Pros
job security
Cons
too much to list
this is a high volume store with lots of challenges during the day
Produce Manager / Store Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON25 June 2018
I work morning starting at 7 am till 4:30 , I am also paided by salary. I work Thursday night and Sundays as a MOD in charge of store operations. I have 21 employees in my department.
Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 June 2018
Overall working at Farm Boy was a pleasure. However, the poor management made it difficult to enjoy the job for long. Management treats staff quite poorly.
It was a fun place
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 May 2018
I loved working here. Only left because I moved and there was no Farm Boy where I moved to transfer to. Was a good environment and would go back in a heartbeat if one opened where I am now.
Not bad
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 May 2018
I found that they had a slightly too high expectation for the pay they were offering, I was always stressed at work. Also, they did not train me properly which was unfair given their high expectations. The department manager was amazing and was very kind and forgiving of mistakes
It was a lot of busy and physically demanding work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 May 2018
It was my first job. The manager of my department was very nice and wanted me to learn qualities that will continue to help me moving forward. This place taught me what hard work is and that it pays off