Farm Boy

Farm Boy Employee Reviews

Often given false promises. They expect you to work more than the hours you are paid for. A lot of favouritism within the company. The people that work hard aren’t rewarded as well as they should be.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Toxic work environment
I am a current employee and I love working at Farm Boy Management is amazing and everyone I work with ! everyone is treated equally and with respect and you are always thanked for your work ethics ! Flexible hours perfect for part timers and casual shifts! Management is amazing and super supportive ,
Pros
Excellent workplace
Working in the bakery had its good moments. Most of the people I worked with were nice and friendly. When it comes to management (at every level) they did little to help you with work, scheduling conflicts or other problems. My manages were rude to each other and other staff making a very challenging work environment. I often would have to stay hours past close because the morning or mid-shift staff (manly managers) didn't complete tasks making us (the part-time works) pick up the slack at the end of the day. We never got paid overtime and were often blamed for tasks not getting done. I would not recommend working here unless you can put up with a lot of problems.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Little pay, poor management, having to work overtime with no additional pay
I’ve worked at farm boy for almost two years now, the salary for management is totally unfair. Another staff member with the same position as me in the same department makes 10k more than me a year. The wages for supervisors is so sad, it’s .50 over minimum wage. Anything less than supervisor is perfectly fine to work for farm boy but management is not worth it. The hours are ridiculous and you never get the time back, if you tell them you didn’t get to take a lunch you get in trouble for it instead of your time back or any extra pay. And calling in? Forget about it, you’re made feel like you’re not devoted to your department at all and that you’re screwing the store. CSR’s have flexible scheduling and almost never get in trouble for calling in.Stick with CSR roles, don’t bother moving up.Although moving up is very easy, I’ve watched people promoted from CSR to department manager within a year.
Pros
10% discount, benefits
Cons
Long hours, unfair salaries
Not a bad place to work if you're only looking for a few shifts/week to make some extra spending money. Otherwise, I suggest looking somewhere else for work.Full-time = less than 40hrs./week.Starting rate for a Supervisor is only slightly higher than minimum wage.I continued to work at Farm Boy longer than I needed to because I was lucky enough to have an excellent manager who knew how to organize his team and work with his employees' strengths/weaknesses. My co-workers were great, we (most of us) knew how to have fun while still doing our jobs.When the dept. manager changed and my colleagues and I were being trash-talked behind each others' backs by the new manager and we were no longer working as a team as a result of the new managers' "leadership" (or lack thereof) I decided it was time to quit.I strongly suggest to anyone currently working there or considering applying at Farm Boy to follow your instincts. At the first sign of something not feeling right about the job... leave. Don't bother trying to stand up for yourself, it won't do you any good. There are plenty of other minimum wage (or higher paying) jobs out there.
I got fired because the manager lied about me, said I was being disrespectful and all I was doing was doing my work. The manager who fired me actually got fired after though.
Farm Boy would be a better place to work if management was better. I loved what I did, loved my coworkers but nothing was ever good enough for the GM. (I think he’s gone now). People call in sick all the time and management expects you to do the job of 3 people in the same time it would take you to work your own position. Some management are great. I was promoted from PT to FT supervisor so advancement is good if you work hard. Don’t pay you what you should get paid. I’d work there again if there was new management.
Pros
Fun, good coworkers
Cons
Management, salary
As a CSR, the job itself was insanely easy, making it useful during school. However, most of the people who reach management and beyond treat everyone like they're worthless/incompetent. More than one pushed the harassment/predator boundary and it's clear they have never worked minimum wage in their lives. Like many stores, the customer service opens up workers to being harassed and insulted but this company takes it to the next level. Customers are basically rewarded for being terrible, and will openly break rules in front of your face because they can, even if it ruins your work. I wouldn't recommend this dumpster to my worst enemies.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Horrible management
The staff wasn’t super friendly and everyone believed they were far superior than their fellow coworkers. The codes were extremely difficult and I got called out for not knowing my codes about a month after working. I had a second part time job as well as being in school full time and they expected me to study the codes outside of work (keep in mind the code list is like 18 pages). Carts was certainly the worst part of the job. You’d have to go out in like -30 weather to get carts all over the plaza. Especially being a woman, it did not feel very safe at night
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Farm Boy?
I worked at farm boy in trainyards with Rob Willis. Rob I hope you are reading this. You were completely out of line and unprofessional. Because of you I had depression, anxiety. Just a nightmare to get along with. You were 100% racists and feminists. You would sneak around to the back and smoke like you thought no one knew. But your breathe smelt like cigarette butt. You were so good at faking your role that no one would expect you to be a camellion. I feel bad for employees currently at farm boy. This place is just bad overall place to be at. Management is very poor. Awesome employees though,but they should get out. Specialist walk around like they run the show. Your job is not that deep and never greet or say hi to you. You are a specialist to a deli meat. The customers are disgusting. They treat everyone so poorly. It took me a lot to make this review but this place is awful. Rich people always think they are untouchable. You reap what you sow. I truly believe this place will go out of business one day. Expending too quickly and so is staffing issued increasing.
Pros
I guess benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor work place, mean customers, you are easily replaceable
I hated this place so much. Customers are racists and was so my boss at the time. Customers worshipped him but he was a different person behind closed doors. I had anxiety everyday on my shift. I went home crying in every shift. The environment is toxic. Management is awful. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. You are better off.
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, they don't care about their employees
To much work for a low salary, all day standing on your feet, around 20.000 steps a day, the most coworkers are very friendly, the magnet are nice and kind, HR very attentive,
Benefits
Cons
Low salary
I worked in the bakery at Farm Boy and although I love shopping there, it was a very boring and unpleasant work environment. I quit after a few months and would not go back.
Pros
Good company
Cons
boring
They are extremely picky and highly discriminatory to people especially with certain religious or ethnic groups! NEVER even think if applying as they are highly arrogant and do not care! BOYCOTT!!!
Pros
Cons
religious, ethnic discrimination, arrogant
During my time there I felt I was constantly belittled and looked down upon by my superiors. If I did not meet the insane requirements of some of my shifts I was harshly scolded. Try keeping a hot bar of 24 vegan and non vegan dishes full, hot, and looking good. Oh yeah and don't forget you need to cover for pizza because he didn't show, and stir-fry because he's busy doing a run of the store.
Pros
Good food.
Cons
Everything else.
was poorly trained and expected to know how to do things that i hadn’t been taught. chef manger is rude, bossy yet still lazy. would not recommend working here, my worst workplace experience by far.
Pros
Cons
toxic
Upper management will use you to make themselves look good in front of their boss. Working overtime constantly with no pay. Expected you to do jobs with out properly training you, then when a problem arrises, its your fault since they preach "holding yourself accountable" since you are the manager. Farm Boy is like a scripted reality tv show where politics and drama is non stop, everyone is friendly in front of the "camera", but they can not wait to throw you under the bus to make themselves look good.
Cons
Constant overtime and the same country songs on repeat over and over
Well what can I say about a grocery store job ,that pays only minimum wage and treats you like a dog !!, you are just an underpaid number , who they can easily get rid of you , when they feel like it I spent six miserable months working there ,and I must say it was probably the worst six months ,I have ever spent at a job . I was fired two weeks ago , and it was a blessing !!
Pros
Good selection of food and products .
Cons
Very toxic enviroment there, stay away !!
Not a very fair company to work for. Will take advantage of you. They treat their staff horrible. They will take advantage of you. They take the side of the customer and leave their employees out to dry.
Pros
Discount off food
Cons
Long hours.. Lack of communication. Move you around alot
Worked in supermarkets as a manager for 5 years.but when I joined the farm boy as a assistant manager and they didn’t paid enough salary,but that was my fault for saying yes for that amount. But what I find out,they were training all new managers for another new opening store and telling you if you work hard you might get chance as a manager at another store. Manager wont let you to take break after 3 hours 9
they make managers work on salary and then give them 44+ hours a week... so you work a minimum of 44 but most of the time you end up working 45-50 hours with no extra pay or overtime. farm boy has an elite team of micro managers. Over the course of one day you might switch a display three times depending on which manager or head office person walks by.
Pros
benifits
Cons
hours without pay or overtime. micro managers.
  1. Employee reviews