Fanshawe College
Happiness score is 78 out of 100

Working at Fanshawe College: Employee Reviews

Canada222 reviews

studentcollegeprofessorprogramteachingschoolclasseducation

I loved teaching and I felt supported

Great pay, smart students and a lot of support from other staff and leads. I personally enjoyed the student and the faculty. I always felt welcome in the office and the printer was always available.Hardest part of the position was having to teach within the time frame that was available. One thing I learned is that you can't set a standardized curriculum for students and that's why a lot of the weight is on the teachers. The learn shouldn't stop at the school, it need support at home as well.

Pros

Great pay, amazing co-workers and lots of support from leads. Really cool students.

Cons

Never enough class time to teach web development.

Lots of support for a first-time sessional instructor (contract position)

The course lead and the other instructors for the particular course I taught were welcoming and available to answer all my questions throughout the semester. Lots of learning opportunities in the form of webinars and online courses. I'll happily teach there again.

Insights into Fanshawe College

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Great experience

Taught part time and really enjoyed the experience. Management was approachable and helpful. Great on-boarding that went smoothly. Lots of communication with supervisor without feeling pressured or micromanaged.

Pros

Training, supportive team, wages

Cons

Contract work, evening hours

Researcher

Good environment and friendly professors if needing any help. When you have any problems, email or ask them, they will reply within 48 hours. Good environment for beginners!

Constant battle with management and staff. Mindless idiots running the place.

Don't even think about accepting a part-time or sessional work assignment. You are paid half what partial load or full time profs get and you're expected to do the same amount of work. And they offer you the WORST classes that no one else wants to teach so you throw in the towel after teaching one term. Fanshawe has ZERO interest in keeping professors around. It is a constantly revolving door. They don't care about anything as long as there is an uninterrupted flow of international student tuition flowing in. Teaching can be rewarding. Marking is terrible and is "included" in your hourly rate. I have heard stories of professors making $5/hr once they figured in all their marking and prep time.

Pros

Teaching can be rewarding for some

Cons

Management is filled with idiots

Excellent College

I helped out a student that was struggling in my program. I gave her plenty of guidance during my time as a tutor. Will definitely my services again.

Students are great, but staff are not very friendly, in part due to the cutthroat circumstances of all vying for disappearing fulltime positions.

Full-timers know that you are in a bad situation as a non-full timer, and they are very quick to write people off if they aren't entertained. Ironically, most wouldn't get hired full-time as they wouldn't compete for a full-time position, but they got in before things went neoliberal. Oddest workplace vibe that I've ever encountered. Job itself is pretty good, but I'd say stay away as it could suck years of life away from you without proper financial compensation. I wouldn't give it more than two years if you must. It is literally a good part-time job now. The union has ruined the profession, making it 80% part-time work which is a complete reversal in the last 20 years. There are people there who've been getting strung along for over ten years with the promise of making an average income some day, and it will never come, many will die in poverty. You've been warned.

Pros

The Job

Cons

The Pay and Diminishing Prospects of Full-Time

Great experience

My experience with Fanshawe has been great. Excellent communication with Supervisor and team. Training was good prior to courses. Taught virtually which was very accommodating.

Pros

Excellent wage, work from home, ability to personalize training materials

Cons

Contract work

Ok but can be annoying

It's not bad but the pay is poor and at times can get very busy. It also depends on the department you are in. Some are hard others are good. I heard RSR have lazy bosses who are not organized

Pros

Can study while work and managers are supportive

Cons

The pay is low and it can be deppresing dealing with mentally unstable students

Fantastic place to work, learn and grow

Love working at Fanshawe, however we are overworked most terms and it seems with each passing year more and more gets put on our plates. Great team and management!

Pros

Fleixable work

Cons

Very heavy work load

Collaborative work environment

Teaching Milady theory and practical concepts to students in classroom and in college salon. A typical day is 9-5pm and is spent with approximately 20 students each day.

Pros

Positive attitudes

On-line Instructor for Project Management Courses

I was solicited by Fanshawe College, so little personal inter action required. They are professional, courteous and easy to work with.They would contact me about one month before each semester to see if I would teach an on-line Project Management Course the next semester. I did that for a few years. Then I decided I wanted to give back in another way.

Pros

I could work from home.

Great place to work - Quality time and life balance

It's a great workplace. Offers more than just experience. Learn a lot with co-workers and advance your career overall. I recommend to anyone who is intending to apply for a position there.

Pros

Salary and benefits - Great Hours

Cons

Lack of training for some occupations and short contracts

i learn how to work in a team.

Under the supervision of the Dean of Science, Trades and Technology and varied leadership team and faculty designates, the incumbent will assist with project management of varied education and industry partnership initiatives, including events, discussions, and planning of Skilled Trades in Ontario, Innovation Village projects at the program-level, and initiative focused on sustainability in the college and municipality. Technical work related to the incumbent’s field of study, including surveying, site planning, reporting and program assistance, technical support and project work will also be within the duties of the role, where fully explained and supported by the supervising delegate.

It was fun working there

I was a co-op student at Fanshawe for four months and it was the best job experience I have had to date. There are many great people that you get to interact with on a daily basis. It is a very relaxed work environment that i am sure if you get full time there will be great benefits. It was great working there.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Boring at times

Exceptional opportunity to offer future students great opportunities for emaployment

Working with current and future students was one of the most satisfying experiences as an employee. Helping students develop a sense of direction, pathway and purpose was a fulfilling and exciting role.

Pros

Great colleagal relationships

Cons

Juggling time constraints

Great place to work.

Fanshawe College has an amazing faculty and is a great place to work. Educating students is very rewarding and hands down the best part of this job. Fanshawe teachers are pationate about what they do and this makes Fanshawe a top tier college in SW Ontario.

Very fun place to work

It was an extremely wonderful environment to work, my best job till date. I learnt a lot about management and the work culture is awesome. It was a relaxed job and I had the opportunity to meet and work with many people

Place where communication and leadership skills are used and developed

Communicative and friendly environment to work and develop skills to work individually and as a team. Healthy and safe surrounding that keeps you motivated and encouraged to work efficiently each day.

working as a peer tutor provides me satisfaction on fostering my knowledge and communication and problem solving skills.

A good working system. working as a peer tutor provides me satisfaction in fostering my knowledge and communication and problem-solving skills. Fanshawe takes good care of employees on providing working facilities and systems and also in payrolls.

Good Community Spirit

Working in the Registrar's Office was a pleasure. Being a student at Fanshawe College, I was a contract work-study student. The staff that are employed are readily available to help each other with their success.

Pros

Inclusiveness - being made to feel like you belong

Cons

Parking - there are several parking lots on-site, but some are on the other side of the school, plus you pay for your parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fanshawe College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement