Famous Footwear

Famous Footwear Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
Love working in this company good district manager great coworker enjoyed my time at famous footwear. Well paid good benefits bonus structure attainable.
I’ve been able to say with confidence, that the staff I get to coach and work with are absolutely amazing. Training is wonderful, and our bond with the other locations is just as great. If the time comes for me to move on, I will surely miss it.
Some will complain about the hours, but above all you must remember it’s retail.
Unwelcoming work environment. No hours, too many employees, and too large of a store. Perfect if you enjoy walking through aisles during your shifts and clinging onto every customer for the entirety of their visit.
Productive and fun family oriented atmosphere. Some days more fast paced than others. A very good place to gain experiences about sales, marketing, retail, advertising and business.
Not a high enough traffic to keep busy all the time, nor to maintain full time hours. Sales associates were constantly leaving & thus having to hire & retrain new employees.
Great place to work. Albeit it is fast paced and often tiring the workplace culture is amazing. On a regular day you are mostly fixing display cases and interacting with customer needs.
The manager doesn’t give out many shifts. You only get a break if you work more than 5 hours so if not , you’re standing on your feet all day. Pay is well when you actually receive shifts. Unless you’re her favourite , you’re not getting much shifts. They also have no cameras so if shoes get stolen they look at you like you’re not doing your job right.
Management can be bias when giving hours. An okay environment to work in but sometimes unfair treatment to sales associates from managers. Shifts needs to be distributed fairly to all workers.
Pros
flexible.
Positive attitude from every level of staff give the workplace a welcoming environment. Management encourages productivity and recognizes accomplishments and initiatives taken by other staff. The workplace has a relatively high morale with a positive attitude towards the job and the customers.
A prominent issue in the store is watching for crime and preventing theft. Management handles every incident with utmost caution and concern for oneself, staff, and customers.

Management sometimes face supervisory challenges that is reflected in the organization and overall productivity level in the store.
Pros
Flexible hours and positive environment
Cons
Difficulty and danger in preventing theft
Honestly, it was a decent place to work, not a lot of room for advancement though so you are pretty much stuck as a sales associate forever there. Hours are terrible so don't expect 20 hours a week for part time.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Famous Footwear?
Très belle entreprise. Belle esprit d'équipe. Bonne comunication avec les hauts dirrigeants.
They do not give any opportunity to advance within the company. Training is poor. Management definitely chooses favourites. Hours are always very unreliable.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Not enough sales instore to combat the high volume of stock shipped to store.
There is not much to being a sales associate at Famous Footwear. You will learn to use a digital cash register and handle cash, receipts, and such. Will have to memorize the location and types of shoes carried in the store, but this comes easily with time. Depending on which store you are located at, the managing varies. As for where I am, we have some more lenient managers and some more strict, which I think for the particle field and store we are in having a more strict manager is a bit overwhelming and sometimes makes you not want to work because they take the enjoyment out of it. Overall, not a bad place to work, but only for a limited time.
Management was very toxic. A lot of unnesseary backstabbing between managers acting like children which got put onto sales associates.

When POC walked in they were to be greeted extremely fast. Not for customer service sake but because they were viewed to be more likely to steal from managements point of view.

If your apart of the LGBT community this is a place you want to avoid. Homophobia and transphobia are rooted within management so if you ever have an issue it would be hard to get help from the root of the cause.
Pros
A paycheque
Cons
Many
Friendly management and just an all around positive work environment with eager, fun, and productive staff. I was very happy over my two years with the company and would not have left had I not moved an hour away.
Pros
Plenty of hours available during busy seasons
Cons
Located in a tourist area
They hire you ti be sales associate but what you are really working as is Loss prevention unit. say, if you were doing your job and helping a customer and a thief steals one pair of shoes while you were busy its on you. they expect you to both engage with customers and prevent theft. they are cheap enough not to put sensors on shoes like all other places do cause its expensive. if its so expensive then at least hire a separate unit of loss prevention and don't expect sales associate to two jobs in one.
also my hours were all over the place. some weeks i would get 21 hours, some weeks only 7. i forgot to mention i was a part timer.
Pros
30% discount on merchandise.
Cons
basically everything else.
I really enjoy working at Famous Footwear. To be honest, I would be staying there if I could only get a few more hours. My friend told me about the job (She was already working there) and said she would put in a good word for me. I immediately noticed a difference in the atmosphere of the workplace, when compared to my last job. Everyone was fulfilling their duties, but they seemed so relaxed and genuinely happy to be there. At my old job, we were civil with each other, but we were always under pressure from our supervisor faster (Not necessarily better) at what we were doing, and it was an unspoken understanding that none of us wanted to be there any longer than necessary. At Famous Footwear, I feel there is a lot less pressure on my coworkers and I to simply make as many sales as possible, and that we are more focussed on connecting with our customers and providing with the best service we can.
Pros
Always cookies or chocolate in the break room
Cons
There can be last minute changes to shifts
Average retail job, but great coworkers and management. Consistent encouragement from management to reach goals (daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly) and very flexible with scheduling around my irregular class schedules and occasional time off requests.

A usual shift consisted of greeting customers, helping them find products, and ringing them through at the cash. Always walking the salesfloor to visit every customer and tidy aisles/shelves.

Only thing I didn't love was the ever-increasing targets for rewards, accessories, and PPT/UPT percentages. Increasing them each year worked to motivate us but constant monitoring of these goals (multiple checks during every shift) added a lot of pressure. Felt like we had to bother customers like commission workers, but without the extra pay.

Pay was exactly minimum wage, no more no less. Not much room from advancement, possibly from sales associate to assistant manager if your numbers and seniority were good enough. Had one associate manager advance to store manager, but only after store manager had left to work at another location.

Overall, positive working environment and employees were happy and well treated. Didn't love the change towards a more pushy approach to customers, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Pros
Good coworkers and management, 30% discount
Cons
Pressure to reach constantly-increasing goals
I started as a full time and moved up to assistant manager where i learned many things like how to get a deposit ready for the bank, how to shut the store and tills down at night. the management was very great i loved opening the store with them. the hardest part of the job was making the mean customers happy and the most enjoyable part was environment and beating your previous selling record.
Famous footwear was a very chill place to work at the managers are super chill and the store is never really bus so it's stress free often times your just walking around but the store doesn't make a lot of money so don't expect many shifts.
Pros
chill managers, understanding managers
Cons
get sent home a lot, when it's not busy the managers still expect you to be doing a lot although there's nothing to do
In my opinion, Working at famous Footwear is fun and you can learn a lot. It helps employee to learn more about customer service and how to deal with different situations.