Famous Footwear Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Found 13 reviews matching the search See all 1,188 reviews
Poor Management
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, ON12 June 2018
Management was very toxic. A lot of unnesseary backstabbing between managers acting like children which got put onto sales associates.

When POC walked in they were to be greeted extremely fast. Not for customer service sake but because they were viewed to be more likely to steal from managements point of view.

If your apart of the LGBT community this is a place you want to avoid. Homophobia and transphobia are rooted within management so if you ever have an issue it would be hard to get help from the root of the cause.
Pros
A paycheque
Cons
Many
was not really fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2018
They hire you ti be sales associate but what you are really working as is Loss prevention unit. say, if you were doing your job and helping a customer and a thief steals one pair of shoes while you were busy its on you. they expect you to both engage with customers and prevent theft. they are cheap enough not to put sensors on shoes like all other places do cause its expensive. if its so expensive then at least hire a separate unit of loss prevention and don't expect sales associate to two jobs in one.
also my hours were all over the place. some weeks i would get 21 hours, some weeks only 7. i forgot to mention i was a part timer.
Pros
30% discount on merchandise.
Cons
basically everything else.
Productive and fun place to work with so many nice coworkers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 February 2018
I really enjoy working at Famous Footwear. To be honest, I would be staying there if I could only get a few more hours. My friend told me about the job (She was already working there) and said she would put in a good word for me. I immediately noticed a difference in the atmosphere of the workplace, when compared to my last job. Everyone was fulfilling their duties, but they seemed so relaxed and genuinely happy to be there. At my old job, we were civil with each other, but we were always under pressure from our supervisor faster (Not necessarily better) at what we were doing, and it was an unspoken understanding that none of us wanted to be there any longer than necessary. At Famous Footwear, I feel there is a lot less pressure on my coworkers and I to simply make as many sales as possible, and that we are more focussed on connecting with our customers and providing with the best service we can.
Pros
Always cookies or chocolate in the break room
Cons
There can be last minute changes to shifts
Positive working environment, range of duties
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2018
Average retail job, but great coworkers and management. Consistent encouragement from management to reach goals (daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly) and very flexible with scheduling around my irregular class schedules and occasional time off requests.

A usual shift consisted of greeting customers, helping them find products, and ringing them through at the cash. Always walking the salesfloor to visit every customer and tidy aisles/shelves.

Only thing I didn't love was the ever-increasing targets for rewards, accessories, and PPT/UPT percentages. Increasing them each year worked to motivate us but constant monitoring of these goals (multiple checks during every shift) added a lot of pressure. Felt like we had to bother customers like commission workers, but without the extra pay.

Pay was exactly minimum wage, no more no less. Not much room from advancement, possibly from sales associate to assistant manager if your numbers and seniority were good enough. Had one associate manager advance to store manager, but only after store manager had left to work at another location.

Overall, positive working environment and employees were happy and well treated. Didn't love the change towards a more pushy approach to customers, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Pros
Good coworkers and management, 30% discount
Cons
Pressure to reach constantly-increasing goals
great customer service job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, ON19 January 2018
I started as a full time and moved up to assistant manager where i learned many things like how to get a deposit ready for the bank, how to shut the store and tills down at night. the management was very great i loved opening the store with them. the hardest part of the job was making the mean customers happy and the most enjoyable part was environment and beating your previous selling record.
Easy going and stress free job
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 October 2017
Famous footwear was a very chill place to work at the managers are super chill and the store is never really bus so it's stress free often times your just walking around but the store doesn't make a lot of money so don't expect many shifts.
Pros
chill managers, understanding managers
Cons
get sent home a lot, when it's not busy the managers still expect you to be doing a lot although there's nothing to do
Productive and fun place to work at
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON29 September 2017
In my opinion, Working at famous Footwear is fun and you can learn a lot. It helps employee to learn more about customer service and how to deal with different situations.
It was interesting first time working at a shoe place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 June 2017
They can be so disorganized at times the managers always want you to be selling socks like that's the o my thing people should buy, the pay rate is poor hopefully when 2018-2019 an the minimum rate goes up. The store manger always wants to blame associates for when people steal the shoes An the cameras in the store don't even work. If your not her favourite associates don't look for hours cause she won't give it to you
Pros
Discounts on shoes
Cons
the managers have certain associates that they like which get all the hours so not fair
environnement agréable
Assiocié aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Mirabel, QC23 June 2017
j'ai aimer travailler pour cette compagnie
les collègues étaient gentils.
Workplace was behind the current norms.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON23 May 2017
The job itself was not taxing, however they seemed to be very black and white when it came to ways of doing business. The work was easy and not overly harsh, although to claim it was rewarding would be false.
fun place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 May 2016
solid company
good background
not much room for advancement
extensive training
great variety of name brands
still being established in Canada
never again
manager (Former Employee) –  niagara on the lake9 April 2015
Would not work for ever again very unorganized and very unethical
not fair to employees