Family Services of Greater Vancouver

Family Services of Greater Vancouver Employee Reviews

Canada31 reviews

managementworkstaffclientgreatyouthenjoyfamily

It is nice company to work with. People respect your opinion. Management is nice too. It could get stressful sometimes but if you are a person who performs well under pressure and is able to multi task. It’s a good place to work.

Pros

Free meal if you want to eat.

Cons

Could get stressful

Highly skilled and dedicated team!

FSGV is committed to a culture of diversity and inclusivity. Staff approach the work from a trauma-informed, intersectional lens and we support clients where they are at. The team is highly consultative and committed to supporting each other in doing this really meaningful work. It’s a workplace where staff are valued for who they are- their presence and diverse approaches to the work.

Pros

Trauma-informed culture

Insights into Family Services of Greater Vancouver

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Work with people who have a positive impact in our communities.

I have had the pleasure of working at FSGV for five years. It is an honor to work with people who are passionate about their work and are fully supported by their supervisors.It is wonderful to work in an environment where everyone encourages and supports each other.

Socially conscious excellent service agency

FSGV is unparalleled in client service. They are exemplary in every field and set the bar for service delivery excellence, despite having literally dozens of programs with different mandates and populations served. Staff teams are warm and connected, leaders are engaged and responsive, and senior leadership is always striving to be better and do better. I feel really grateful to have been with the agency for more than 5 years.

Love the people and the cause

People sincerely care about the work we do and the difference that we make. It makes for a very collaborative and cooperative environment. Hardest part of job is funding structure - we could all do more in our roles with more resources.

Amazing dedicated staff and leaders who really care

A place that keeps the mission and client focus at the centre ; I find staff and leaders to be very authentic and caring. i like my boss and i am inspired by the staff each day here. i love my team and their enthusiasm for the work they do !

Pros

interesting and complex work that is satisfying

Good place to work to obtain relevant experience

I worked for FSGV when I was looking to gain experience working with individuals with disabilities. The role was flexible and provided a lot of freedom in structuring each work shift.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Inconsistent pay

Rewarding job with a great team

I work in Directions Youth Detox and find so much value and rewards in the work that we do. The resource provides a unique environment for youth to detox safely in a home like atmosphere, and receive information and referrals to many other community supports. The youth workers, counsellors and management within the detox are client centered and professional.

Pros

Experience, rewarding.

Cons

As with most non-profits, the pay is not the best.

An overall amazing organization to work for.

I started working at FSGV as a university student. They offer full support to staff and provide workers with a lot of great (paid) training opportunities. They value you as a worker and as an individual. I have worked for several non-for-profits and working for FSGV has the best management by far. Highly recommended!

Pros

You take on clients and create your own hours, very flexible

supportive and encouraging

FSEAP is a great place to work - except for the pay. The staff are friendly and informed. The quality of the work is high and the counsellor's are committed to the work they do.

Pros

friendly

Cons

low pay

Not a great place to work

this company promotes inclusiveness and diversity but is very judgmental and gossip filled workplace.. it is only inclusive if you are a member of a visible minority it does not value long time employees management at head office are smug and uninviting the CEO is not liked by senior mgmt

An absolute nightmare

Working at directions youth detox was one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my career. The senior staff are bullies, who take pride in pulling the strings and gossiping about staff who are new, and the atmosphere is unnecessarily competitive and punitive.

Work place organization

I only worked as a volunteer at Family Services of Greater Vancouver as a volunteer assistant office administrator. A typical work day at Family Services would include general office work: organizing and alphabetizing client files, logging in entries using excel and helping any of the other staff or management with any tasks they require done.

great agency to work for

I enjoyed my work and my team. I have been with that agency on three different jobs and enjoyed them all. My supervisor was awesome, available, kind and very professional

Pros

team, agency

Cons

salary

Caring and supportive staff - meaningful work

After school and weekend contract work with children and youth with Special Needs involving integration into the community. Activities were developed and implemented to meet specific individual needs. Good support and on-going training available, plus staff appreciation day annually. Terrific, caring, dedicated supervisors. Working with kids and parents was highly rewarding - but as a non-profit agency there is not enough hours or pay to live in expensive Vancouver.

Pros

working with dedicated and caring supervisors - wonderful kids and families

Cons

Poor pay, poor hours, no advancement opportunity

Good place to work but

Good place to work but salaries are not great. I would have stayed longer if salaries were more competitive. However, staff members and co-workers, curses for staff and job position were great.

Entry level

No advancement withouth required education. A great starting point when you are fresh out of school. Get your experience and move on. Easy to get too comfortable in a position. You may find you work alone a lot. Constant open part time lines.

Pros

the wonderful clients

Cons

Staffing problems

Great place except for management

Truly loved working here except for office politics and upper management. I don't want to get into too much details as I left the organization very disillusioned after working there for almost 25 years.

working with youth in a detox facility

Very rewarding job working with youth, with various addictions. Working in a team environment to provide supports during a difficult time. Providing resources and assisting in the transition.

This is a unique workplace with folks who are extremely passionate about the work they do. They are a fantastic employer with good management. There have been some issues with HR, but they are proactively working to resolve this, and I feel supported as an employee.

Supportive and encouraging management. My colleagues are very helpful and professional. We work with families with several layers of trauma, addiction, mental health and capacity barriers. We make a difference every day of the week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Family Services of Greater Vancouver. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement