Family Options Employee Reviews

it was nice n awesome place to work
Residential Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2019
productive and okay workplace and we work as team. the management was good and they benefits and make sure everyone is okay n time conscious, its an awesome place
Very negative experience
RSW (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 June 2019
I worked for several months at this organization and was shocked by the unprofessional and unsupportive environment... The young people are often miserable and many of the staff do not seem to understand the disorders that they are working with.
Former staff
Over worked employee (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 January 2019
I worked for this unprofessional organization before they received their non profit status. They have been sued, treat staff unprofessionally, scammed the government and got caught. They disprespect client right, staff are hired with no skills so EXPECT to be injured. No support, no integrity and paperwork constantly "fudged" to the ministry. The Director blames staff for everything, Culture is non therapeutic, oppressive, staff quit mid shift because the environment is so dangerous.
Cons
Good home environment for clients
DSW (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 January 2019
Really like working here. Been at two of the home and they are just like a family home for clients. Really nice and fits in with the community. My supervisor is always helping and respects everyone. I look after clients with autism and am like their family. we have employees in the home round the clock. Its more than a developmental support worker cause we help clients with daily living too. I take good care of the house I work in cause I want my client to feel important. Pay is not great and no benefits. Hours are good and schedules are set over a month in advance so I can plan. We are a good team, work together well, you have to be a team player to make sure clients looked after. I see managers regularly. Same with inspections. Houses I worked in always great, clean, and feel like a real home.
Pros
feels like a home, clean, supervisors are helpful
Cons
hourly rate is $18
Poor work and living environment
support worker (Former Employee) –  oakville1 December 2018
This company does not care about its employees or clients. clients and staff are at risk due to the illegally long hours with no breaks, short staff, and unclear rules of the houses. clients can be very aggressive and dangerous and the staff are not trained to handle these situations. none of the staff had the appropriate certifications for the job. be prepared to do the work of a PSW, be underpaid, and be pressured to work hours or houses you are not comfortable with. management only cares about how they look on paper and the money they make from this for profit org. The clients live in old dirty houses with insects and mice. Furniture is very used and gross and rarely cleaned by night staff. Poor environment, all staff and clients are miserable there.
Pros
interact wit clients
Cons
no breaks, long hours, no benefits, poor pay
One of a kind for developmental services sector work
Developmental Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 November 2018
I`m a DSW and joined Family Options about 8 months ago and am very happy working here. I working with clients who have Autism and are mostly dual-diagnosed. Probably the most challenging and complex clients I have ever supported in this sector. We are working with clients who can`t be placed with any other agency. Very hands-on, intense work, complex behavior plans, always changing. The Executive Director really loves her work and is dedicated to clients and staff. Same with our program managers. Not an easy place to work because the clients are so complex and behaviors can be extreme. Pay is ok, could be better. But then I can`t get this level of experience with other orgs in this sector. I have good flex with the shifts I can work. Would def recommend Family Options.
Pros
High needs, complex clients - amazing experience
Cons
Depending on location the shifts can be long
good for making money
Developmental Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 May 2017
The pay isn't bad, however there are no benefits. The agency works more as a business than a place to help assist people. Poor management and no real opportunity to advance in a position. Great co-workers. This is more of a stepping stone rather than a place or perminancy.