FairTradeWorks

FairTradeWorks Employee Reviews

Canada8 reviews
Overall, the management is lacking leadership qualities and there is no job security nor the feeling of job security. The overall culture of the place is very negative and very self isolating like. This is the reason for several staff quitting and the ones who decided to speak up to management getting systematically fired during my tenure there. Do not recommend anyone to work there.
wasn't enjoyable. good colleagues but management is all over the place. expectations are set unreasonably high and it seems there is no room for mistakes. awkward location and not enough staff parking.
Pros
nice colleagues to work with
Cons
poor management, too many rules and procedures
What a terrible place to work. Anyone with talent leaves this company. Be very careful and do your research on this company before proceeding. Some of their jobs turn out ok but the majority are delayed and nothing but complaints. They have an entirely new staff. Only 1 advisor and 1 pm remain, everyone else is a new employee.
Official response from FairTradeWorks
30 September 2019
Hello,

At FairTradeWorks we appreciate ALL feedback. It is why we have 1 and 3 month employee reviews along with lengthy annual performance reviews.It is also why we have client surveys at the end of every project.

However, dealing with anonymous complaints that we can neither investigate, validate or defend is not something we cannot engage in. Instead, we encourage interested team members to come talk to current staff/trades/clients themselves. It’s the most fair way of evaluating the truth about any corporation.

Kind regards,

Sofia (HR)

604-264-7366
This is a great company and has one of the best teams i have ever worked with! I searched high and low for a company that would have the same values as me and would respect work life balance! Not only does FairTradeWorks have great values and work life balance but I finally found a company that believed in me from day 1. Management has never stopped helping grow my career OR help with my personal development. Most of the time you go into a young company and they have no structure and no opportunity for growth but almost every person here has received a promotion in the direction they want to go to. Management rewards loyal and hard working team players - they are honest with their expectations and never stop pushing you to become your best self. Its truly an amazing company.
during the interview process they talk about how great it is to work here. that is just to reel you in.

no lunch room for employees

no work culture.

high turn over rate. the staff is constantly changing.

over management. they want a report for everything you've done for the day.

be expected to be tracked where you go during work hours as they do not trust their employees

there are policies for things that don't need polices.

there isn't any employee retention plan and that seems to be the least of their concerns

sr. management needs that they must trust their employees for the company to succeed. or you will never
Pros
great people to work with.
Cons
msp isn't paid for, no rrsp, terrible benefits
Official response from FairTradeWorks
4 February 2019
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your working time at FairTradeWorks. We appreciate your feedback and believe most constructive concerns are worth hearing in order to improve.

Let us begin by saying, we don’t want to ‘reel’ anyone in as you stated in your review. As you know in the role you were in, on-boarding and training costs the company a lot of time and effort. We are also very transparent in what we expect of our team members and totally appreciate, like you, that the culture or efficiency drive is not for everyone. We repeatedly express this. Likewise, we are completely transparent in our repeated corporate values so it is clear even in our recruitment package. You mentioned there is no trust of employees. We feel that trust is earned as our brand involves consumer and trade trust.However we appreciate that this environment may not have worked for you and we will ensure during our recruitment process that we continually strive to set realistic expectations.

You addressed that we have a terrible benefits plan. We prefer employees themselves to be the judge of this.Our plan summary is:

* Life insurance

* Accidental death & dismemberment insurance

* Prescription drugs

* Ambulance

* Practitioners

* Orthopedic

* Dental

* Travel insurance

Most employees have felt that it is very fair. All employees are given these benefits in their recruitment package.

You were correct in saying that we do not have a lunch room and as a start up that has begun operations in a smaller workplace, we see the challenges for employees trying to find solitude and
 - more...
I've been employed at this company for almost 4 years, so unlike some who've been with us a short while-- I see the big picture.

I've worked for big corporations before. The reason I stay at this mid-range size company is because management works hard to see who you are and what makes you 'tick'. They'll adjust your workload according to your expertise and they'll train you to be better at areas you could work on. But be careful what you wish for, coz you just might get more and more work on your plate, especially if you're good at it. You'll be duly compensated, of course.

I've seen members of our team succeed (at work and in their personal lives) and we celebrate with them. I've seen our team down, and those who toughed it out continue to be committed. We have each other's back.

This is a place for people who love multitasking, enjoy making processes more effective and efficient, open to giving and receiving constructive feedback, and who are "ON" when they walk in the door. For us who are excited about digging deep and finding solutions for everyday concerns, it's quite enjoyable.

I find that if I have a concern, my manager puts everything down and listens-- I mean actually LISTENS. I've had to learn not to hold back, to talk and give them feedback-- to give my truth-- coz that's the only way anyone or any innovative team moves forward!

And because my manager has taken the time to get to know me for me, she'll find ways to motivate me and bring me back on track. She'll train me and then challenge me-- because we expect excellence from one another.

- more...
Pros
Great work-life balance
the owner is a fantastic person, i enjoyed working here ,
fun and friendly staff .

Interesting company with a different business motto and way of operating