Fairmont Hotels & Resorts logo

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Management reviews

Clear

Found 214 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,930 reviews

Incredible pay

The compensation was incredible, but the isolation at this particular location explained why. The frequency of pay raises is unbelievable. Felt like a boot-camp to save money. Lots of young employees, big party scene.

Very busy place,Poor ventilation .Favoritism .!!! Untrustworthy coworkers.!!

Poor management support. unfair support shown to one person.workplaces are filthy.Dirtiest Work Place I ever worked.Beware of Backstabbing Coworkers !Destructive workplace behavior at some point.Aggressive behavior of Coworkers.Deceitful, sneaky, vengeful, nasty place..!!!Poor Health & Safety ...Communication on health and safety "Does not exist"Dirty cutlery and holders..!!!

Pros

free food.

Cons

Very unpleasant colleagues.! "Nasty People "

Super

Fairmont a un milieu de travail exceptionnel, une formation complĂšte, personnel motivĂ©, programme au employĂ© complet, Direction et gestionnaire Ă  l’écoute de ses employĂ©s.

Pros

Direction exceptionnelle

Cons

Aucun

great and talent team/culture

overall not a bad company. extended benefit is pretty basic with pension plan. The company promotes collaborating culture with good training system. Unfortunately the management team is not always leaders of the example. Some top management team member have no hospitality background and don't understand the company's policy.Dealing with demanding customers plus rotating shifts can make work more stressful. not a work/life balance type of job unless you are at the top of seniority.

Pros

free lunch and extended benefit

Cons

Colleagues will throw you under bus

My experience was very cutthroat with this company. I felt like I was killing myself only to get thrown under the bus by my boss on multiple occasions. The company protects people in high management positions and doesn’t care about anyone else. THE MOST TOXIC WORK ENVIRONMENT.

Pros

Health benefits and free meals

Cons

No recognition for hard work, toxic work environment, HR ignores complaints, overloaded with work, etc.

Nothing good about Whistler’s location

Hands down the worst work environment I have ever worked in. The entire hotel puts money before it’s employees. Mental health is not only neglected but you are shamed if you bring it up. Please avoid the Fairmont Chateau Whistler at all cost. I am still recovering from the constant mental health break downs that this employer brought upon me. Save your self and find an employer that is building you up and teaches you about hospitality and all the amazing adventures it has to offer. Working here you will learn all the wrong ways.

Pros

Cons

Poor Management, no mental health help, toxic work environment.

Great location for a quick change of scenery but thats about it

I worked for the Fairmont for nearly 2 years and I was so excited to get started here. I wanted to move up with the brand and start my career here and learn more as a barista. Unfortunately for me, their standards of hot drinks they serve to guests are baseline Tim Hortons when I was expecting 5 star baristas. After about 6 months there and having helped train my managers that came into my department I quickly realized there was no opportunity for advancement in my position at all. When I brought this up with the executives, I was told I could switch positions in the hotel but that I couldn't move upward. That was fine and I accepted the position as something that gave me time to explore the mountains and more importantly use those amazing Fairmont benefits, but once the world shut down this company's problems really became clear. I was brought back to help reopen the hotel and it was a disaster. We were understaffed from the moment we opened to the day I left. The managers refused to hire qualified staff and short cut our departments so the other ones would have more staff even though our sales and guest count was through the roof. We had no management most days, and there was no one present to manage the number of people coming into the café and ensure that they were wearing their masks. I was honestly scared to go to work most days, wondering if guests yelling at me about the rules were going to give me the virus. I was ridiculed for bringing up concerns with management about these issues. Even when we had an outbreak at one of our restaurants because of a guest who had -

Worst management I have ever worked for.

I have worked for over 10 years in hospitality/customer service industry. The management was hands down the worst. They cared more about their overall appearance then helping out the staff in the bar/restaurant. Management would walk over to the bar from the kitchen to yell at the bartenders and serving staff to go run food from where they just came from. They wouldnt help clear tables, serve or run food which is by definition the job of management to assist the floor staff. Management would yell at the bar team during the busy rushes to move faster causing more chaos for the staff. My anxiety and stress levels were so high working at the Fairmont I had to get put on anti-anxiety medication by my doctor. I started to have such bad stomach issues that the doctors could only discribe as IBS as they could not diagnose the cause. Which turned out to be again due to the stress levels of working at the Fairmont. The ONLY reason I stuck out as long as I could (2 years) was due to the Benefits and discounts staff would receive staying at any other Fairmont location.

Pros

Staff discounts at other fairmonts, above minimum wage pay.

Cons

Long hours, no breaks, horrible management, high stress levels

undefeatable benefits packages

The housekeeping department is the biggest department in the hotel, however the department head is not as good as expected. Work load was never manageable (before covid) , its even worse after covid cos the standard is ridiculously high (we know we need to be extra careful to implement covid protocols, but it's already beyond our capability and the leaders were asking for more), and keep putting lots of pressure on everyone. Work and life is never balanced. Work always comes first, they told you they care about work life balance which is actually not true. When it's busy, you ask for help, no one comes. When it's not busy, they ask you to do extra work or they would just cancel your shifts. When it's a hectic departure day, they require everyone to work as a team to get through, even though it was your day off, they changed your schedule less than a day (the schedule was posted for a week already) and forced you to come to work (and you can't say no because they need you to work) and gave you another day off. However, when you need help, the leader would tell you that's your job, and you have to complete the assignments by yourself unless someone finishes early, they could possibly send help however its not happening. It will be too stressful for newbies and that's why we have really high turnover rate. If you are looking for advancement in this department, I would recommend you to transfer to other departments cos it's all about popularity and favoritism. Its not about what you are capable of doing, how well you are good at the job, it's about how you act and what you say -

Pros

free lunch, cheap housing, great extended benefits

Cons

department mismanagement, disqualified leaders

Working at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise has its ups and downs

I worked at the Chateau Lake Louise for a year and a half. I worked two different positions within the time I applied to the time I left, and they both gave me great experience and I definitely learned a lot. I will tell you right now, if you want a stress free, and drama free work place, this isn’t the place for you. Although I enjoyed the time I spent in Lake Louise there were a lot of things that were communicated to management that were never actually dealt with, or just simply ignored. I never personally had any problems with anyone I worked with but the amount of incidents that happened because of improper communication between the managers and team members was very concerning. I found in my position, we definitely had to do things for other people that wasn’t our job, and I find you really get thrown into things and expect to just learn things right off the bat. This definitely depends on which department you are in though. The main issue with living in Lake Louise was the staff accommodation. My unit had a mouse problem, which I found out that it was two different building that were infested with mice not just mine. They didn’t do anything about it and eventually after reaching out to someone for the 5th time, I finally got help. Units are also filled with black mold and it is just not healthy to live there. Landlords can be very unwilling to listen to your issues or concerns about the place, but they are very certain on kicking people out whenever they get the chance (I wasn’t kicked out just from what I seen in the time I was there) the corporation is a lot about making -

Pros

Experience

Cons

Unsafe/unhealthy living accommodations, low pay, lack of communication

Jobs at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

See more jobs

Engineering Department

The co-workers from other departments treated me better than some of my co-workers in my own department.Union based seniority should never result in a perceived authority over a worker with more experience and qualifications.

Pros

Free Meal

Cons

Rotating shift work was too difficult to endure.

Greatest hospitality company

Very strong culture, big machine but still feel like family. Take great care of employees. They even support bottom performers and turn them into strong team members.

Run away while you can

Totally waste of your life. The management don't care about anything, except for themselves. They're completely the opposite from what they say. Run away while you can!

Beautiful place to work, amazing staff and management.

Great work life balance and amazing people to work with in the Guest services department. They understand and encourage activities outside of work and try and let you have the best work life balance along with other amazing perks from the hotel. My favourite employer hands down.

Pros

Fun staff including team members and management, great work life balance, unreal starting salary, lots of growth potential, beautiful place to work, free staff cafeteria

Cons

Can get a bit stressful but you have support from your team- can sometimes be boring but again, you work with an amazing crew

Great benefits

Overall work can be stressful at times (when its very busy) but management is helpful and supportive. Culture of inclusivity, diversity, and support. Pay could be better but is very competitive of the area (town is very expensive to live in).

Pros

Staff Activities, Mental Health Liaison, Free Lunches

Unionized environment at some properties

I worked at the Empress, very high hourly wages and great benefits. Tenured team that was at times resistant to change and development. Loved the staff cafeteria!

Professional Environment

Professional environment. Must have passion for cooking and be able to handle extremely high stress situations while maintaining some of the most reknowned standards in the hospitality industry.

Fast paced. Great learning environment.

High energy required on a regular basis. Able to gain knowledge from the wealth of experience of coworkers and management. There is always someone who cares about your wellbeing, whether or not it is work related or personal life.

Worst work environment

I have never had a work place as bad as the Mallard Lounge at the Fairmont in Whistler. As a junior server you are very poorly tipped (the senior servers keep 99% of it and the managers do nothing about it), over worked, and have no say. The physical work is unbearable and way more than what they say in the job description. Because of the way the junior staff were treated I will never recommend anyone I know to work there or even stay there asa guest

Pros

Whistler was beautiful

Cons

Everything about the job

Amazing place to work and grow your career

A company based on values and development, coupled with a major focus on luxury service for all guests. Wonderful opportunities for those starting out in their careers as well as executives that want to take the next step in hospitality.

Underpaid/Undervalued

While the work itself can be demanding and taxing at times. The colleagues you work with are what makes this place worth staying at. Senior management is out of touch with mid management and below. They will dangle promotions over you and often give them to the ones most eager and willing to take for low money. Never have I seen soo many director positions created just to keep talent that could make more elsewhere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2