Fairmont Hotels & Resorts logo

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.9Job security & advancement

Found 206 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,930 reviews

I really enjoy working for the Fairmont, I keep coming back to it (I've worked at three Fairmont Properties in Canada in my career) and I can honestly say, they are the leaders of Hospitality. The managers trust your instincts and support you when guest are being harsh/ unfair. They give you the empowerment to solve guest issues without them escalating to managers (so they really want you to be confident to resolve guest issues which can be hard at times but managers are always around to help you out.)Everyone supports each other and each department really do try and help when they can. My only complaint about the company is guest can be the worst, some can be very demanding and some interactions can be hard on your mental health. They don’t happen very often but since the pandemic Guests have expected a bit too much that the industry and not always predict or fix (Example, if the government put in a restriction for no sit down service that will completely hurt the hotel and you will hear about it/ try and figure out a way to assist these guest when the restrictions happen and become in affect a few hours later) but then you get one guest that can turn everything around for being so sweet and kind and really understanding ( and you can if available upgrade their rooms or send amenities) Over all I’ve made life long friendships from this company and have learned SO much about Hospitality, If you are empathetic and love working with people this is the company you would want to work for.

Pros

Benefits are insanely good, managers are great, Learning incentives, they trust you to do right by the guest

Super

Fairmont a un milieu de travail exceptionnel, une formation complète, personnel motivé, programme au employé complet, Direction et gestionnaire à l’écoute de ses employés.

Pros

Direction exceptionnelle

Cons

Aucun

great and talent team/culture

overall not a bad company. extended benefit is pretty basic with pension plan. The company promotes collaborating culture with good training system. Unfortunately the management team is not always leaders of the example. Some top management team member have no hospitality background and don't understand the company's policy.Dealing with demanding customers plus rotating shifts can make work more stressful. not a work/life balance type of job unless you are at the top of seniority.

Pros

free lunch and extended benefit

Cons

Great location for a quick change of scenery but thats about it

I worked for the Fairmont for nearly 2 years and I was so excited to get started here. I wanted to move up with the brand and start my career here and learn more as a barista. Unfortunately for me, their standards of hot drinks they serve to guests are baseline Tim Hortons when I was expecting 5 star baristas. After about 6 months there and having helped train my managers that came into my department I quickly realized there was no opportunity for advancement in my position at all. When I brought this up with the executives, I was told I could switch positions in the hotel but that I couldn't move upward. That was fine and I accepted the position as something that gave me time to explore the mountains and more importantly use those amazing Fairmont benefits, but once the world shut down this company's problems really became clear. I was brought back to help reopen the hotel and it was a disaster. We were understaffed from the moment we opened to the day I left. The managers refused to hire qualified staff and short cut our departments so the other ones would have more staff even though our sales and guest count was through the roof. We had no management most days, and there was no one present to manage the number of people coming into the café and ensure that they were wearing their masks. I was honestly scared to go to work most days, wondering if guests yelling at me about the rules were going to give me the virus. I was ridiculed for bringing up concerns with management about these issues. Even when we had an outbreak at one of our restaurants because of a guest who had -

Family oriented .

I love working in this company! This is the company i want to retire. . The workingEnvironment is awesome! You will feel valued and repected. I love the people working here.

undefeatable benefits packages

The housekeeping department is the biggest department in the hotel, however the department head is not as good as expected. Work load was never manageable (before covid) , its even worse after covid cos the standard is ridiculously high (we know we need to be extra careful to implement covid protocols, but it's already beyond our capability and the leaders were asking for more), and keep putting lots of pressure on everyone. Work and life is never balanced. Work always comes first, they told you they care about work life balance which is actually not true. When it's busy, you ask for help, no one comes. When it's not busy, they ask you to do extra work or they would just cancel your shifts. When it's a hectic departure day, they require everyone to work as a team to get through, even though it was your day off, they changed your schedule less than a day (the schedule was posted for a week already) and forced you to come to work (and you can't say no because they need you to work) and gave you another day off. However, when you need help, the leader would tell you that's your job, and you have to complete the assignments by yourself unless someone finishes early, they could possibly send help however its not happening. It will be too stressful for newbies and that's why we have really high turnover rate. If you are looking for advancement in this department, I would recommend you to transfer to other departments cos it's all about popularity and favoritism. Its not about what you are capable of doing, how well you are good at the job, it's about how you act and what you say -

Pros

free lunch, cheap housing, great extended benefits

Cons

department mismanagement, disqualified leaders

Incredible pay

The compensation was incredible, but the isolation at this particular location explained why. The frequency of pay raises is unbelievable. Felt like a boot-camp to save money. Lots of young employees, big party scene.

Great company culture and fast paced learning emvironment

Great company to work and learn from, with plenty of room for advancement. Great for A type personalities, very fast paced. Guest experience is of the utmost importance.

Job de reve

Cette emploi et l'une des plus belles expériences de vie que j'ai la chance de vivre. Un endroit si, professionnel, courtois, à l'écoute, à notre disposition, cet endroit est pour moi un souffle sur un dur jeune début de carrière. Je suis fière de travailler pour le reine et je me sens privilégiée de faire partie de leurs équipes. je n'échangerais mon emploi pour rien au monde !

Pros

Salaire/ ambiance/ avantages/ horaire

Cons

Voyagement

The Years of loyalty show

Half the workforce at Fairmont have given 10+ years of service To the hotel, proof that it is a great place to work. The job is fulfilling, the team is a family, it is a wonderful place to grow professionally and personally.

Jobs at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

See more jobs

Beautiful place to work, amazing staff and management.

Great work life balance and amazing people to work with in the Guest services department. They understand and encourage activities outside of work and try and let you have the best work life balance along with other amazing perks from the hotel. My favourite employer hands down.

Pros

Fun staff including team members and management, great work life balance, unreal starting salary, lots of growth potential, beautiful place to work, free staff cafeteria

Cons

Can get a bit stressful but you have support from your team- can sometimes be boring but again, you work with an amazing crew

fast paced work place with a lot of fun

is a good place to work with a lot of fun but very stressful on some situation or almost everyday wit interaction with guest from all around the world you have many many nice and beautiful moments and also few awkward moments ,in resume with pros an cont is a fun nice place to work , I'm looking for something different in my life and living Fairmont because hours and seniority polices.

Pros

cafeteria in the work place

Cons

hard to improve your career

good workplace

Good place to develop your skills and career that for new employee every week switch to different department and learn how to cooperate with other employees .friendly work environment

Pros

free staff meal, clean uniform

great job

fulfilling role and great people to work with. Working at the Fairmont has a lot of great perks and one of them is travelling the world. lots of room for advancement as well

Professional Environment

Professional environment. Must have passion for cooking and be able to handle extremely high stress situations while maintaining some of the most reknowned standards in the hospitality industry.

Fast paced. Great learning environment.

High energy required on a regular basis. Able to gain knowledge from the wealth of experience of coworkers and management. There is always someone who cares about your wellbeing, whether or not it is work related or personal life.

Amazing place to work and grow your career

A company based on values and development, coupled with a major focus on luxury service for all guests. Wonderful opportunities for those starting out in their careers as well as executives that want to take the next step in hospitality.

Underpaid/Undervalued

While the work itself can be demanding and taxing at times. The colleagues you work with are what makes this place worth staying at. Senior management is out of touch with mid management and below. They will dangle promotions over you and often give them to the ones most eager and willing to take for low money. Never have I seen soo many director positions created just to keep talent that could make more elsewhere.

Very good place to work

Fairmont is a very competitive in all aspect. The best place to work in an hospitality industry. They have a very good set of colleagues that give their best in all of their guests. This is a very good job to keep. Benefits and salary are very promising. How i wish to go back and work one day with them again in the near future.

Great place to start a career in the hospitality industry. There is a lot of room to move around departments and learn all the aspects of the hotel industry.

Collaborative and Positive Work Environment

Creates an environment for teamwork, evolving and innovating. Positive and fun. Willing to try new things. Invests in their people. Promotes from within

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2