Fairmont Hotels & Resorts logo
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews

Found 588 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,930 reviews

Very productive and very great place to work

I love working in a Fairmont hotel I really want to go back there I love my supervisors I learned so many things there it was really a pleasure working with the team love you Fairmont

Pros

Yes i always have free lunch and breakfast

Cons

I was working full-time

Very busy place,Poor ventilation .Favoritism .!!! Untrustworthy coworkers.!!

Poor management support. unfair support shown to one person.workplaces are filthy.Dirtiest Work Place I ever worked.Beware of Backstabbing Coworkers !Destructive workplace behavior at some point.Aggressive behavior of Coworkers.Deceitful, sneaky, vengeful, nasty place..!!!Poor Health & Safety ...Communication on health and safety "Does not exist"Dirty cutlery and holders..!!!

Pros

free food.

Cons

Very unpleasant colleagues.! "Nasty People "

Super

Fairmont a un milieu de travail exceptionnel, une formation complète, personnel motivé, programme au employé complet, Direction et gestionnaire à l’écoute de ses employés.

Pros

Direction exceptionnelle

Cons

Aucun

Great Place to work overall

It was a great and wonderful experience working for Fairmont, and honestly I really would love to work for them again one day, it's one of the best community environment there to work in. You are always engage in doing something community wise, lots of activities to keep you motivated, I have lots of great memories working there over the years, each department have their own goals to achieve, and sometimes you are rewarded for doing so, it's a excellent company that I can recommend for anyone of course, it's all up to you for making the best and takes nothing for granted.

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I really have nothing bad to say, it's an amazing place to work for anyone

Happy Place to work peaceful

This Hotel Fairmont Royal York is the my work place that i can keep for ever, People who work with me are all Professional, polite,kind, and very respectful to each and every one.

Pros

Free lunch and Dinner even snack.

Cons

Just 8 hours

I really enjoy working for the Fairmont, I keep coming back to it (I've worked at three Fairmont Properties in Canada in my career) and I can honestly say, they are the leaders of Hospitality. The managers trust your instincts and support you when guest are being harsh/ unfair. They give you the empowerment to solve guest issues without them escalating to managers (so they really want you to be confident to resolve guest issues which can be hard at times but managers are always around to help you out.)Everyone supports each other and each department really do try and help when they can. My only complaint about the company is guest can be the worst, some can be very demanding and some interactions can be hard on your mental health. They don’t happen very often but since the pandemic Guests have expected a bit too much that the industry and not always predict or fix (Example, if the government put in a restriction for no sit down service that will completely hurt the hotel and you will hear about it/ try and figure out a way to assist these guest when the restrictions happen and become in affect a few hours later) but then you get one guest that can turn everything around for being so sweet and kind and really understanding ( and you can if available upgrade their rooms or send amenities) Over all I’ve made life long friendships from this company and have learned SO much about Hospitality, If you are empathetic and love working with people this is the company you would want to work for.

Pros

Benefits are insanely good, managers are great, Learning incentives, they trust you to do right by the guest

Good company, good wages but stressful work.

The colleagues there are mostly nice and supportive, with a few exceptions.Fairmont is an excellent company but the work is overwhelming the majority of the days. Always finished the days feeling drained and with no energy last to spend with my family.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Too much pressure

great and talent team/culture

overall not a bad company. extended benefit is pretty basic with pension plan. The company promotes collaborating culture with good training system. Unfortunately the management team is not always leaders of the example. Some top management team member have no hospitality background and don't understand the company's policy.Dealing with demanding customers plus rotating shifts can make work more stressful. not a work/life balance type of job unless you are at the top of seniority.

Pros

free lunch and extended benefit

Cons

Colleagues will throw you under bus

My experience was very cutthroat with this company. I felt like I was killing myself only to get thrown under the bus by my boss on multiple occasions. The company protects people in high management positions and doesn’t care about anyone else. THE MOST TOXIC WORK ENVIRONMENT.

Pros

Health benefits and free meals

Cons

No recognition for hard work, toxic work environment, HR ignores complaints, overloaded with work, etc.

Good place to work and grow.The Lodge managers can be rather biased if you don't tow their line. Solution.. Just be yourself and professional

Good place to work you have been provided with all that you need. Great teams and great client experience.The clear policies are cleary set and easy to follow.The items needed to get your job done is delivered on time

Jobs at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

See more jobs

Productive, collaborative and friendly work environment. I have developed my skills, knowledge through my work place and colleagues.

Friendly work environment. Experienced colleagues.Cooperative, helpful and Experienced managers.Great employee Benefit.Historical work place to work with one of the best hotel.

Nothing good about Whistler’s location

Hands down the worst work environment I have ever worked in. The entire hotel puts money before it’s employees. Mental health is not only neglected but you are shamed if you bring it up. Please avoid the Fairmont Chateau Whistler at all cost. I am still recovering from the constant mental health break downs that this employer brought upon me. Save your self and find an employer that is building you up and teaches you about hospitality and all the amazing adventures it has to offer. Working here you will learn all the wrong ways.

Pros

Cons

Poor Management, no mental health help, toxic work environment.

Great location for a quick change of scenery but thats about it

I worked for the Fairmont for nearly 2 years and I was so excited to get started here. I wanted to move up with the brand and start my career here and learn more as a barista. Unfortunately for me, their standards of hot drinks they serve to guests are baseline Tim Hortons when I was expecting 5 star baristas. After about 6 months there and having helped train my managers that came into my department I quickly realized there was no opportunity for advancement in my position at all. When I brought this up with the executives, I was told I could switch positions in the hotel but that I couldn't move upward. That was fine and I accepted the position as something that gave me time to explore the mountains and more importantly use those amazing Fairmont benefits, but once the world shut down this company's problems really became clear. I was brought back to help reopen the hotel and it was a disaster. We were understaffed from the moment we opened to the day I left. The managers refused to hire qualified staff and short cut our departments so the other ones would have more staff even though our sales and guest count was through the roof. We had no management most days, and there was no one present to manage the number of people coming into the café and ensure that they were wearing their masks. I was honestly scared to go to work most days, wondering if guests yelling at me about the rules were going to give me the virus. I was ridiculed for bringing up concerns with management about these issues. Even when we had an outbreak at one of our restaurants because of a guest who had -

Worst management I have ever worked for.

I have worked for over 10 years in hospitality/customer service industry. The management was hands down the worst. They cared more about their overall appearance then helping out the staff in the bar/restaurant. Management would walk over to the bar from the kitchen to yell at the bartenders and serving staff to go run food from where they just came from. They wouldnt help clear tables, serve or run food which is by definition the job of management to assist the floor staff. Management would yell at the bar team during the busy rushes to move faster causing more chaos for the staff. My anxiety and stress levels were so high working at the Fairmont I had to get put on anti-anxiety medication by my doctor. I started to have such bad stomach issues that the doctors could only discribe as IBS as they could not diagnose the cause. Which turned out to be again due to the stress levels of working at the Fairmont. The ONLY reason I stuck out as long as I could (2 years) was due to the Benefits and discounts staff would receive staying at any other Fairmont location.

Pros

Staff discounts at other fairmonts, above minimum wage pay.

Cons

Long hours, no breaks, horrible management, high stress levels

Family oriented .

I love working in this company! This is the company i want to retire. . The workingEnvironment is awesome! You will feel valued and repected. I love the people working here.

Awesome workplace because of awesome hardworking hospitable people.

Awesome workplace because of awesome hardworking hospitable people. We take care of people and create awesome memories for guests and co workers alike.

undefeatable benefits packages

The housekeeping department is the biggest department in the hotel, however the department head is not as good as expected. Work load was never manageable (before covid) , its even worse after covid cos the standard is ridiculously high (we know we need to be extra careful to implement covid protocols, but it's already beyond our capability and the leaders were asking for more), and keep putting lots of pressure on everyone. Work and life is never balanced. Work always comes first, they told you they care about work life balance which is actually not true. When it's busy, you ask for help, no one comes. When it's not busy, they ask you to do extra work or they would just cancel your shifts. When it's a hectic departure day, they require everyone to work as a team to get through, even though it was your day off, they changed your schedule less than a day (the schedule was posted for a week already) and forced you to come to work (and you can't say no because they need you to work) and gave you another day off. However, when you need help, the leader would tell you that's your job, and you have to complete the assignments by yourself unless someone finishes early, they could possibly send help however its not happening. It will be too stressful for newbies and that's why we have really high turnover rate. If you are looking for advancement in this department, I would recommend you to transfer to other departments cos it's all about popularity and favoritism. Its not about what you are capable of doing, how well you are good at the job, it's about how you act and what you say -

Pros

free lunch, cheap housing, great extended benefits

Cons

department mismanagement, disqualified leaders

Incredible pay

The compensation was incredible, but the isolation at this particular location explained why. The frequency of pay raises is unbelievable. Felt like a boot-camp to save money. Lots of young employees, big party scene.

It was a memorable experience

An amazing work place with a good bunch of people around. It is a good place to have fun along with your work, specially for the people who likes hiking, skiing etc. I believe its a dream place for many to being there.

Working at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise has its ups and downs

I worked at the Chateau Lake Louise for a year and a half. I worked two different positions within the time I applied to the time I left, and they both gave me great experience and I definitely learned a lot. I will tell you right now, if you want a stress free, and drama free work place, this isn’t the place for you. Although I enjoyed the time I spent in Lake Louise there were a lot of things that were communicated to management that were never actually dealt with, or just simply ignored. I never personally had any problems with anyone I worked with but the amount of incidents that happened because of improper communication between the managers and team members was very concerning. I found in my position, we definitely had to do things for other people that wasn’t our job, and I find you really get thrown into things and expect to just learn things right off the bat. This definitely depends on which department you are in though. The main issue with living in Lake Louise was the staff accommodation. My unit had a mouse problem, which I found out that it was two different building that were infested with mice not just mine. They didn’t do anything about it and eventually after reaching out to someone for the 5th time, I finally got help. Units are also filled with black mold and it is just not healthy to live there. Landlords can be very unwilling to listen to your issues or concerns about the place, but they are very certain on kicking people out whenever they get the chance (I wasn’t kicked out just from what I seen in the time I was there) the corporation is a lot about making -

Pros

Experience

Cons

Unsafe/unhealthy living accommodations, low pay, lack of communication

Great company culture and fast paced learning emvironment

Great company to work and learn from, with plenty of room for advancement. Great for A type personalities, very fast paced. Guest experience is of the utmost importance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2