Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews for Server

The place is awesome. I had the best summer of my life, and it was easily probably the most impactful experience of my life thus far. I would definitely go back!!!
Pros
Long Hours, Great Pay
I worked at the Chateau Lake Louise for a year and a half. I worked two different positions within the time I applied to the time I left, and they both gave me great experience and I definitely learned a lot. I will tell you right now, if you want a stress free, and drama free work place, this isn’t the place for you. Although I enjoyed the time I spent in Lake Louise there were a lot of things that were communicated to management that were never actually dealt with, or just simply ignored. I never personally had any problems with anyone I worked with but the amount of incidents that happened because of improper communication between the managers and team members was very concerning. I found in my position, we definitely had to do things for other people that wasn’t our job, and I find you really get thrown into things and expect to just learn things right off the bat. This definitely depends on which department you are in though. The main issue with living in Lake Louise was the staff accommodation. My unit had a mouse problem, which I found out that it was two different building that were infested with mice not just mine. They didn’t do anything about it and eventually after reaching out to someone for the 5th time, I finally got help. Units are also filled with black mold and it is just not healthy to live there. Landlords can be very unwilling to listen to your issues or concerns about the place, but they are very certain on kicking people out whenever they get the chance (I wasn’t kicked out just from what I seen in the time I was there) the corporation is a lot about making - more...
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unsafe/unhealthy living accommodations, low pay, lack of communication
I have never had a work place as bad as the Mallard Lounge at the Fairmont in Whistler. As a junior server you are very poorly tipped (the senior servers keep 99% of it and the managers do nothing about it), over worked, and have no say. The physical work is unbearable and way more than what they say in the job description. Because of the way the junior staff were treated I will never recommend anyone I know to work there or even stay there asa guest
Pros
Whistler was beautiful
Cons
Everything about the job
stressful but great team. managers have your back. union environment is competitive between colleagues. half the staff us very knowledgeable, other half is difficult to work with
Its a good place to work people will get more knowledge about hospitality. But its a little bit slow in winter season. If you work good you will get more shifts
there are a ton of job opportunities within the hotel and if you work for the fairmont then you have the chance to travel to different resorts for a very affordable price
-Busy atmosphere -Understaffed in many areas -Reactive management -High turnover of staff -Overbooked -Good food for staff -Cute dogs -Union environment makes it hard to work there
A more laid back atmosphere than you would expect. The staff were all great, the managers were amazing and the pay was more than fair. I worked in service and it was amazing.
- Have to make sure the food is served on time and manage the waiting time of the guests among tables reasonably (avoid complaints). - The serving food has to be cleared as fast as possible for the second meal come. - Have to serve by every single demand of the guests (except something against the company's law). - I can enjoy the job by talking to customers and learn a lots of valuable information from them since my workplace has a lots of big event from successful people (C.E.O, project of development of Winnipeg, the idea of how business should be, etc.)
Pros
Free food
Cons
Exhausted
I loved working at Fairmont. They provide an amazing training, they care a lot about the employees and make sure everyone is happy at work. Also they usually are very flexible with the schedules and I also liked that they do performance reviews every few months.
El ambiente de trabajo es único. Los lideres realmente se preocupan por ti. Desarrollo continuo y satisfacción total al convertir los momentos de los huéspedes en recuerdos inolvidables!! Deseo con toda mi alma volver a trabajar en Fairmont....mi hogar Fairmont.
Pros
Desarrollo y reconocimiento continuo
Cons
Se va el tiempo muy rápido ya que vives tú empleo con gran satisfacción
By far one of the best places to work. From top to bottom this is a hospitality dream. From CEO right down to the lowest person in the chain, it was an all out great experience.
F&B managers and director (most are young, inexperienced) are simply not on par with what's needed to set the restaurants for success. Still a good place if you like to come in, do your work, and leave without wanting more satisfaction other than your pay. If you are creative, ambitious, and want to push yourself and your career...this place is a dream killer. Because there is no presence/support from managers, the culture is toxic.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Stress, no support, boring, toxic
Fairmont gives you the opportunity to provide above industry average service and offers guests some hotel experiences that are unmatched in hospitality. Management are dedicated to staying ahead of industry trends and allow staff access to training in these trends.
Pros
Complimentary staff cafeterias and greatly reduced hotel stays
On site accommodations with easy access to work within short distance. A lot of room for growth and knowledge among products. High stress work environment and the living accommodations can be stressful as well.
Beautiful building and excellent clientele. Colleague level staff work exceptionally hard to provide the best results they can muster but upper level management is far disconnected from ground-level employees and as a result have little to no knowledge of the minutiae of the hotel
It was a super fun place to work and if you get a chance do it. The people that woork in FAirmont are very sweet and amazing people. Please go out and try it.
Pros
Free snowboarding, Free swinging, 40 percent of of things
Cons
Was a great work experience. The Royal York was one of the most prestigious Hotels in Canada, The work environment was very professional and was instrumental in my career in the hospitality business.
Pros
Very good tips
Cons
Great company. Great perks. Great people. Lived in Lake Louise very isolated. Great transfer opportunities. Some managers are poor and under paid. Great benefits.
Sometimes I would work 7 days in a row. I once worked 68 days straight. Makes me tired just thinking about it. But I loved my job, the people I worked with and especially the guests who would travel from all over the world just to see the Canadian Rocky Mountains. I was hired on as a server assistant for the breakfast shift but I convinced my management team to give me the opportunity to serve instead. Within a week I was asked to work the casual fine-dinning shift at dinner instead. We were unionized so I tried to pick up shifts when or wherever I could. The hotel had 4 restaurants and a banquet team and they always needed extra hands. I was the person they called when someone called in sick or the reservations were over booked. I always arrived 20 minutes before my shift started just to mentally prepare myseld for the busy shift ahead. The restaurant sat 170 guests. We would serve approx 500 at breakfast and 250 at night. Some times I miss it but the experience I gained from it was enough.
Pros
Union. Benefits. Mountains.
Cons
Long, long days.
It's not too bad living here in Banff when it feels a lot like paradise. It's so easy going into your workplace when you know you'll have a great time and make great connections.