Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews for Cook

Dedicated leaders who train you very well. Face paced but they never let you fall behind. The work culture was friendly and accommodating. I really learned to stretch myself to the full extent of my capabilities.
Pros
Uniform, meals and other benefits
Cons
Very fast paced
Good place to develop your skills and career that for new employee every week switch to different department and learn how to cooperate with other employees .friendly work environment
Pros
free staff meal, clean uniform
Professional environment. Must have passion for cooking and be able to handle extremely high stress situations while maintaining some of the most reknowned standards in the hospitality industry.
High energy required on a regular basis. Able to gain knowledge from the wealth of experience of coworkers and management. There is always someone who cares about your wellbeing, whether or not it is work related or personal life.
I have friends working at different property and they enjoyed the work. So I applied at a different property when I saw they were hiring. Pay is good but the work environment is very toxic and no one seem to be happy working there (they only stay for money and benefits). The management doesnt have an idea what they are doing and are not helpful. I didnt get any training, and when i brought it up to my supervisor they said I would have to figure it out on my own and they didnt get any training aswell. There turn around is very high. supervisor th
I was hired on as a second cook in one of the busier outlets. Lake Louise is stunning, housing is subsidized, and the only thing you have to worry about is internet. That being said, if you're expecting to be treated fairly, both as a employee and a human being, you'll be deeply disappointed. If you were expecting to enjoy Lake Louise and all that it had to offer, don't. More often than not you'd be working over 12 hours a day, and I was lucky if I got a 15 minute break. I think I might've been fine with that if cooks were allowed to have 2 days off, but because we were short staffed, everyone worked 6 days a week, and had long stretches of upwards to 13 days between days off. I got through my day with energy drinks. So you're working long hours, at least the workplace culture is good right? Not the case. Everyone was super tense on the line, everything you did was never good enough. Management was a joke, my second interaction ever with the sous chef was him yelling at me. Don't ask any of the higher ups how to make anything, you'll be learning from your co-workers. Another thing to note, if you don't have a car, but you're still willing to put up with everything, you'll feel isolated and alone because the closest town is 40 minutes away. There are buses to Banff and to the Lake Louise Village, but because of the long hours all you'll want to do is sleep and recover on your one day off. Working at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise will give you a lot of benefits, a great view, and some great stories. But if you want to be treated with like a person, I strongly - more...
Worked as a cook for a year. My colleagues were great, management was a joke. Schedule was all over the place, they care very little about your life outside of work. Finishing work at 10pm then scheduled for 7am the next. Hired people hugely unqualified for higher up positions and didnt give the opportunities to the people who actually worked hard and new their stuff. Would never work there again... Great benefits though!
Pros
benefits, pay, staff housing
Cons
long hours, uncaring management, bad scheduling
I did my summer job there and it was one of the best things I ever did. Amazing crew. Summer is very busy, be prepared to work long hours, But they believe in work life balance
Pros
Free meal and discount at hotel
Cons
Hiring practices are good, good people work here. Benefits are good, overall feel like they care about their employees. Workplace culter was good. Kitchen has good staff.
computer to use with internet,tv with cable ,table tennis,provide rooms for staff that do not come from the island,meals three times a day at a minimum cost.
Pros
free internet
Cons
no growth for staff
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Fairmont Hotels & Resorts?
Wide variety of opportunities to learn and move around within the establishment. Workplace and living on-site can be a struggle; as the location is quite remote.
Fast space, low in busiiness they send you home before finish 8 hour, may not get 40 hours per week if hotel is not busy , its really hit if you have a family
Pros
Good benefit
Cons
stressful
I got to learn a lot in all areas of the kitchen. Worked under real red seal certified chefs and colleagues. The schedule was flexible and was willing to work around a second income.
Pros
free staff meals, offsite functions
Cons
need to live close in order to have a happy life.
Management and diversity ... it's clue for those who are smart enough to get it. Rest they ask you to sign agreement so that you cannot write on social media about what happens inside it.
Great team atmosphere, great company values Work is fast paced and there is always something to be doing. I learned that I can depend on my team to help get work done.
beautiful location , stunning scenery and views- overall my experience was okay - I mean you meet a lot of great people and that makes it worth while but for me for my career- it was 50 steps back and a punch in the face - it has taught me a lot but it's just not the path I want to take I want to experience all hospitality has to offer.
Pros
Great friends- snow- hikes- scenery - the lake- snowboarding -
Cons
Hourly wage, living accommodation
Very large company, your choices are limitless once you get your foot in the door. There are employees of all different abilities and levels of experience to learn from. You have the opportunity to travel to different countries/continents to work for other properties. Hardest part of my job is the sheer volume of guests we serve day in and day out. Most enjoyable part of my job, I get to cook good food for guests and make them happy.
Pros
Benefits, oportunities for growth, culinary experiences
Cons
demanding, stressful
I moved out to Lake Louise in July 2015. The location is one of the most beautiful places I've seen in my life. Mountains to climb and trails to hike. The job itself was working with skilled individuals who had the time and patience to show proper techniques to help their employees grow and learn. Truly I miss this place, but it was time to leave because unfortunately there just isn't anything in Lake Louise except the beautiful lake and the hotel. A typical day of work was prepping for breakfast or helping to get ready for buffets, or banquets that would be happening all over the hotel. Then, I would go help the other outlets. Line cooking in one of their restaurants. My supervisors were always helping, and teaching, giving advice, and most of them became quite good friends. The most difficult part of the job was trying to manage tasks appropriately. Meaning, only so much time to finish a certain task before something else had priority. The best part of the job was always being challenged on a daily basis, the friends I made, and last but not least, the benefit of working for Fairmont as a company. The destinations benefit, let my wife and I travel and visit other Fairmont destinations for half price or more in some circumstances. Truly, this was one of the best parts of working for this company.
Pros
Destinations
Cons
Some exceptionally long days, housing/staff accommodations.
A typical day at work is making food items for the various outlets of the hotel as well as any functions. I like the work environment, however life outside of work is mediocre since the location is isolated with minimal recreational activities.
Worked in really busy outlets in hotels doing up to 800 covers daily Interact with guests on carving, omelets, and anti-griddle stations
great chefs,awesome experience, good place to work and the atmosphere is spectacular