Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Happiness score is 78 out of 100

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews for Banquet Server

It's a good place to work banquets server is one of the most decent job that satisfy your needs. When you get paid you'll be glad. The work generally consists in set-up tables, serving the guests, cleaning and enjoy the work among your colleagues. Basically, it's not a hard job ,it's just consistency n get the job done.
Pros
Yes, lots of food, leftover.
Cons
Sometimes, yes..
The working environment at the fairmont jasper park lodge is very fun and very rewarding, for me it was a great way to learn to live on my own and meet new people.
Stayed at FCLL for 1 year and few months. I enjoyed living and working at the hotel. The work culture is good but varies from department to department.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Isolated
Spend hours setting up for events, serve at the events, clean up after, prepare for tomorrow's event. Terrible scheduling meaning several hours of overtime. Very repetitive work. Demanding and unorganised management. High turnover of management staff. Gratuities not paid out fully to servers. 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off sometimes due to no events. Sometimes start work at 4am, sometimes finish work at 4am. Impossible to have a routine, always tired. Fun staff, not so fun management. Most people are just in Whistler to have a good time and work at the Fairmont for the cheap staff accommodation.
Working at the Fairmont was an amazing experience. With only having little experience in the hotel and food and beverage department, the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise welcomed me with open doors and helped me improve in not just my work, but with my confidence and my customer service skills. Although starting in a department where many of the people were new and had some management struggles, we were a family and helped each other learn and grow. Banquet serving I found was a great starting point in the F&B industry. I was able to learn basic roles of a server and junior serving, and with function helping in other departments, I was able to host as well. Even got to learn basic bartending skills from working the winter season on the outdoor ice bar- which was definitely a highlight of my time there. The hardest part of my job was definitely how physical the work was such as moving tables, chairs, etc and the long hours that came with it (12 hours at most) In the end, the team all had a fun time working together and we got things done effectively and efficiently. All in all, working at the Fairmont was a great job and hope to one day return
Pros
Free on shift meals
Cons
Long hours, lots of physical work
No work life balance, endless hours without adequate compensation, its highly unionised environment with no support from higher management. There are times where you end up doing over 16 hours per day but no compensatory off is given neither are you paid for extra hours being put in.
It was ok, good pay and gratuities on top of wage. Management was hard to deal with sometimes, and would blame their coordination problems on us. High expectations, but that's with any job like this. They follow up with employee reviews a lot, and if the BQT manager is good and respected, its great and you feel supported to succeed. If the manager is sneaky they can use the system selfishly and against you.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, flexible
Cons
unpredictable schedule, seniority based, management sometimes was passive aggressive and changed a lot
An excellent experience to work in an international and professional group to improve my work ability, communication skills and customer service more professional for my college co-op work term. Serviced for personal celebrations, weddings and government events
Supporting company with transfer opportunities globally. Fast paced. Good pay and supervision. Varied work load and opportunities. Wonderful staff accommodation and facilities.
Excellent work experience with new challenges and exceptional daily tasks. Different event locations with exceptional settings.
Pros
great experience and salary
Cons
on call
Great place to work. Gave me the opportunity to further increase my hospitality knowledge. The Château Laurier gives me the opportunity to work as a part of a team to deliver a high standard of service to our guests.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Don't get to connect with guests as much
Good place to learn and grow. With shift work it is hard to find work life balance. Some great and some horrible leadership. A place to learn and move on. Winters are hard unless you ski.
Pros
low cost living provided
Cons
sometimes stuck with poor leadership
The company is immaculate and excellent to work for. The perks are unique and astonishing. Great place to be in and with the great culture. However, room for advancement is made on biased decisions, which overall hinders the great work place
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Limited Opportunity for Growth
I enjoyed working at Fairmont Banff Spring hotel as I worked as a banquet server, the department was very big and we had 75 employees working. My management team was experienced and it was great experience to work with them. I learned to set up a room for an event and set buffet for the event.
I love structure. They told me how to do it and why they do it that way. Just waiting for the right opportunity to work for this company again.
I worked as a banquet server for summer 2015, great management wonderful colleagues. Live on property, cheap living in Jasper National Park. Awesome biking and hiking
Pros
Cheap living
Cons
you share a bedroom with a roommate
The team while I was at the Hotel Mac was very good. I often got food on shift, and was treated with respect. Mostly set up, tear down and serving functions
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Worked almost every Sat until 3am or later for Brunch flip