Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews in Victoria, BC

The co-workers from other departments treated me better than some of my co-workers in my own department.Union based seniority should never result in a perceived authority over a worker with more experience and qualifications.
Pros
Free Meal
Cons
Rotating shift work was too difficult to endure.
Was the best place to work then covid hit. I'd still be there with those amazing people . Work was so much fun and made me want to work , I loved getting up and going to that beautiful building
I love working with customers and going above and beyond. Fairmont gives me the tools to do my job. Working for this company has been an adventure of a lifetime.
Pros
Work/life balance is great
Cons
Some days are so busy that we don’t always get breaks in until end of shift or near the end.
I worked at the Empress, very high hourly wages and great benefits. Tenured team that was at times resistant to change and development. Loved the staff cafeteria!
One of the best companies I’ve worked with. My superiors and my co-workers always made me feel welcomed and appreciated, and while it is a very demanding job, it is also incredibly rewarding.
There is absolutely no job security. If you’re a part time, you’ll be treated like you don’t belong. The management is poor. The staff is self centred. Management pretends to listen to your issues but takes no step whatsoever. It’s probably the union thing they have which has made their life so difficult. The permanent employees working there don’t know how to perform, but they cannot be fired either.
A more laid back atmosphere than you would expect. The staff were all great, the managers were amazing and the pay was more than fair. I worked in service and it was amazing.
Executive managers set a great culture. Although it is lost within many departments. Employee interaction and happiness on the job is a great part of the job
Enjoyed all the colleges but hard time seeing the fake management and the way they miss lead staff.
Pros
you pay for lunch, not free
Employees are treated fairly. Good meals are provided. The work is strenuous but rewarded. There are some months of the year where it is very slow, there are no hours available to work to employees that are low on the list. The job pays very well.
Great work place with good benefits, work life balance consider as very important. Great place to work in Victoria, BC. People around very talented, knowledgeable.
It is a great job during cruise ships season but you need seniority to be able to get hours, if you are at the bottom of the seniority you won't have hours during January to April and they expect you to apply for EI.
Pros
good money
Cons
no hours during slow season
An excellent experience to work in an international and professional group to improve my work ability, communication skills and customer service more professional for my college co-op work term. Serviced for personal celebrations, weddings and government events
Work is full time/ mandatory overtime during summer then no work during rest of year. Great job for students looking for seasonal work but benefits only available to permanent employees. Best wages in the city.
Pros
wage/salary
Cons
only seasonal
Always working towards creating a a great work environment and exceeding guest expectations. A company with a great vision for the future. Great opportunities to transfer within the company.
Working in an unionized workplace, rates and benefits are not complained. Co-workers are very friendly, but some people are very lazy because they have been their for 25 years and they know job security is high so they don't bother do much. I learn that if you got a job here, it's worth to apply for Marriott or Hilton because growth is limited (e.g: cross training and schedule depends on your seniority)
Pros
benefits and wages
Cons
seniority
Great place to work and proud of being part of them. Sometimes miscommunications between managers and attendants, but it can be fixed.
Pros
Excellent co-workers, benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime
Incompetent management with no regard for the abilities of the staff to make their own choices on how to handle situations in the hotel. There was a very competitive "me first" environment at this location. I felt very discontent at this position and the job was very stagnant. There was not a family atmosphere between staff which I seek when finding a career. If you enjoy a cutthroat environment while being overworked in the Summer and starving in Winter, this is the place for you.
Pros
Cheap Staff Lunches
Cons
Ability to be yourself and to move up the ladder
The Fairmont Empress is a tourism destination in itself, employing over 500 people at the peak of summer. Employees are supported by a strong union and management is encouraged to learn and grow in their careers. Be prepared to work evenings, holidays and weekends while being in heart of the action of downtown Victoria.
Pros
staff meals, Fairmont room rates, full benefits
Cons
shift work, aging union-protected employees
Usually busy and fast-paced. Must operate well under pressure Great co-workers,better than management team was. Beautiful location,clean with high standards, excellent training.
Pros
too many to mention, benefits, dental, massages, prescription, incentives, discounts in hotels & restaurants.
Cons
working week-ends and holidays
Responsible for front office operations, including participation in budget, forecasting, and yield management. Worked as part of a high-performance team, and developed close and effective working relationships with all supporting departments.• Awarded “Memory Maker” by the Fairmont Empress in the first month of employment.