Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Happiness score is 79 out of 100

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews in Ottawa, ON

I thoroughly enjoyed the work I did. It is a wonderful opportunity to try to turn moments into memories for our guests each and every day. It is also a privilege to work with a group of highly talented people.
It is an amazing place to work, everyone there is super kind. Everyone there loves what they do and is super passionate. You learn a lot from being around the people there and are well supported.
It was a great time at Fairmont. Loved the benefits of cheap hotels wherever I go, and they were great employees. Very accomodating as a student and offered full-time employment during summers
As a Busperson, I was able to make excellent tips, learn a lot about customer service, and had the opportunity to meet a number of amazing people at this job-- HOWEVER the management, at least at my location, was the worst I've experienced to this day. They rarely listen to your availability (good luck if you have any life outside of work, like school), refuse to hire more staff, which also means that you are constantly under-staff. Most managers, if not all, are inexperienced and overloaded with work and complaints, so they are too exhausted to provide any empathy and are rarely available and willing to support you. Most of the time, you would not be able to find a single person in charge. But hey, they're trying, right? And to top it off, Fairmont does not allow professional references to be provided :) so after all of your months suffering... it's like none of it even happened :)))
Royal Service is hard because we do a lot of different things for different departments so there is not much recognition for those who go above and beyond for guests.
Working here allowed me to build more attention for minute detail as well as cleanliness and organization. Work expectations were too far fetched: clean 16 rooms, 30 minutes each, when in reality it takes at least an hour. Seems as if management has never worked as an attendant therefore they do not understand the conditions we put up with which in turn leaves it nearly impossible to do 16 rooms in 8 hours.
I started to work for Fairmont (CP Hotels) in 2000, had lots of good years and learned a lot. Chateau whistler is a great workplace with positive feedback and good teamplayers. Unfortunately not the same working for Fairmont Tremblant!! Zero support from the HR team and the management is just a big joke. After over 18 years of service i got fired for missing a doctor apointment while on medical leave. If thinking of working for Fairmont do yourself a favor and stay away from Tremblant! Best of luck :)
Pros
Full time work with benefits
Cons
Bad manegement, HR staff is a Joke. Fired tafter 18 years of services
Fast pace and is a great place to meet people very clean environment and safe place to work alot of famous people stays there if you like history this is a place for you to discover lots place to visit surrounding the hotel area
Pros
buffet lunch
Cons
expensive parking
This place is open for all diversity to have a chance to work in a good professional manner in this field. The complexity of your tasks that you deserve to the customer should be done with the most higher standard that luxury is in your mind and the hotel also. If you like luxury, this is the best place for you. I enjoyed my job
Pros
Great staff as co-worker
Cons
work hard
F&B managers and director (most are young, inexperienced) are simply not on par with what's needed to set the restaurants for success. Still a good place if you like to come in, do your work, and leave without wanting more satisfaction other than your pay. If you are creative, ambitious, and want to push yourself and your career...this place is a dream killer. Because there is no presence/support from managers, the culture is toxic.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Stress, no support, boring, toxic
very poorly managed without any appreciation to the employees. very high turn over rate. Excellent brand name on your cv but that's about it. not recommended.
fun place to work, but the schedules are only released weekly and one must sacrifice a lot to work there without getting fired. Otherwise great pay and benefits.
a typical work day begins with the checking of emails and collecting all paper work from other departments before sitting down to begin the day. as the revenue and income auditor i learnt the value of a team that can work together. my team was like a second family to me.
Pros
Staff Cafe with discounted lunched and wide variety
Cons
Very strong family feel amongst colleagues, working hard and likely long hours. Learned so much about customer service and ethics in fine dining restaurants. Management is where the problem stems: small, overrun and underappreciated team with a remarkable lack of support from the executives.
Pros
Pays very well
Cons
Huge lack in staffing and equipment
Food and Beverage department has a sink or swim management tactic and can be stressful at the start, but once you get the hang of your job, it can be enjoyable, but very robotic.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Stress
I was extremely pleasantly surprised with the employee culture and how positive it was. I was very lucky to be part of the team behind the promotion of employee morale and development. I really enjoyed my time as an intern at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier. The team was very small and though I was unable to be hired on due to the lack of positions available, I learned a lot.
Great place to work. Gave me the opportunity to further increase my hospitality knowledge. The Château Laurier gives me the opportunity to work as a part of a team to deliver a high standard of service to our guests.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Don't get to connect with guests as much
Long hours, random schedule, low level management is generally unhelpful in larger issues, HR is excellent, sometimes no breaks
Fairmont is a great company to work for. I have washed dishes for them in Ottawa and worked as a bellboy in Banff. Nothing bad to say.
Was exposed to all facits of the hotel, front and back house exposure part of shcool training to obtain Diploma. Was trained on Fairmont Gold in personalising guest check-in and check-out as a private concierge. Set-up lounge for Continental Beeakfast and Hors d'oueuvres in the evening. Respond to guest (s) request from restaurant reservations to limousine services or organising mini conference for employees for guest (s).
Pros
rewarding hands-on experience torwards concierge career
Cons
no employment afterward
This experience has fine tuned an excellent work ethic. It can be challenging and very rewarding!