Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews in Lake Louise, AB

The compensation was incredible, but the isolation at this particular location explained why. The frequency of pay raises is unbelievable. Felt like a boot-camp to save money. Lots of young employees, big party scene.
My experience was very cutthroat with this company. I felt like I was killing myself only to get thrown under the bus by my boss on multiple occasions. The company protects people in high management positions and doesn’t care about anyone else. THE MOST TOXIC WORK ENVIRONMENT.
Pros
Health benefits and free meals
Cons
No recognition for hard work, toxic work environment, HR ignores complaints, overloaded with work, etc.
I worked for the Fairmont for nearly 2 years and I was so excited to get started here. I wanted to move up with the brand and start my career here and learn more as a barista. Unfortunately for me, their standards of hot drinks they serve to guests are baseline Tim Hortons when I was expecting 5 star baristas. After about 6 months there and having helped train my managers that came into my department I quickly realized there was no opportunity for advancement in my position at all. When I brought this up with the executives, I was told I could switch positions in the hotel but that I couldn't move upward. That was fine and I accepted the position as something that gave me time to explore the mountains and more importantly use those amazing Fairmont benefits, but once the world shut down this company's problems really became clear. I was brought back to help reopen the hotel and it was a disaster. We were understaffed from the moment we opened to the day I left. The managers refused to hire qualified staff and short cut our departments so the other ones would have more staff even though our sales and guest count was through the roof. We had no management most days, and there was no one present to manage the number of people coming into the café and ensure that they were wearing their masks. I was honestly scared to go to work most days, wondering if guests yelling at me about the rules were going to give me the virus. I was ridiculed for bringing up concerns with management about these issues. Even when we had an outbreak at one of our restaurants because of a guest who had - more...
An amazing work place with a good bunch of people around. It is a good place to have fun along with your work, specially for the people who likes hiking, skiing etc. I believe its a dream place for many to being there.
I worked at the Chateau Lake Louise for a year and a half. I worked two different positions within the time I applied to the time I left, and they both gave me great experience and I definitely learned a lot. I will tell you right now, if you want a stress free, and drama free work place, this isn’t the place for you. Although I enjoyed the time I spent in Lake Louise there were a lot of things that were communicated to management that were never actually dealt with, or just simply ignored. I never personally had any problems with anyone I worked with but the amount of incidents that happened because of improper communication between the managers and team members was very concerning. I found in my position, we definitely had to do things for other people that wasn’t our job, and I find you really get thrown into things and expect to just learn things right off the bat. This definitely depends on which department you are in though. The main issue with living in Lake Louise was the staff accommodation. My unit had a mouse problem, which I found out that it was two different building that were infested with mice not just mine. They didn’t do anything about it and eventually after reaching out to someone for the 5th time, I finally got help. Units are also filled with black mold and it is just not healthy to live there. Landlords can be very unwilling to listen to your issues or concerns about the place, but they are very certain on kicking people out whenever they get the chance (I wasn’t kicked out just from what I seen in the time I was there) the corporation is a lot about making - more...
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unsafe/unhealthy living accommodations, low pay, lack of communication
The place is awesome. I had the best summer of my life, and it was easily probably the most impactful experience of my life thus far. I would definitely go back!!!
Pros
Long Hours, Great Pay
High energy required on a regular basis. Able to gain knowledge from the wealth of experience of coworkers and management. There is always someone who cares about your wellbeing, whether or not it is work related or personal life.
You gotta try it for yourself life changing. Boss are amazing and take care of there workers all ways around to talk if things get hard expsoly being in such a iceoled place
Fairmont Hotel is a good choice to work in the hotel industry. They offer completely employee's benefits such as shoes and massage for you and accommodation. And you will have a friendly workplace for working and a good employee's restaurant for free meals per day.
Great place to start a career in the hospitality industry. There is a lot of room to move around departments and learn all the aspects of the hotel industry.
Very very busy, staff perks are great, housing sucks unless you are in management, overall living in a great place and well looked after would recommend
Great place to work lots of attention to employee life and work balance. Great benefits fun colleagues beautiful environment, best time is summer hikes and biking
Stayed at FCLL for 1 year and few months. I enjoyed living and working at the hotel. The work culture is good but varies from department to department.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Isolated
You put up with a lot from management, chefs, banquets & even staff. Don't get payed well, staff accom keeps going up but pay doesn't. They don't mange money well at all & a lot of important things fall to the side line (black mold in staff accom)
Pros
Experience, location
Cons
Poor management, poor communication, pay not worth the stress
ten years - four different hotels - two different countries - treated very well, professionally and personally - they brought me to a higher standard, and helped me and my career grow.
It was my first job experience in Canada I was part of the SWEP Program The Student Work Experience I learned a lot of things about this comapny, and also very important that when you are a good employe they recognize it for you, during that time I have been nominated for being over and beyond of helping a guest, it was very thoughtful that the Humen Resources found out about it, made me feel very recognized. Also, Lake Louise is a very beautiful spot in Alberta, A lot of tourists come from all over the World which will make the work environment very excited and not boring especially for people who love diversity Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is one of the best
At Fairmont you will get a chance to grow your career, save money and have a fantastic time with colleagues and staff. Management are so great, they care about you and you have free hands to come up with ideas and suggestions on how to make thing better.
Management wise is one of the best places I've worked at. They are so attentive to detail and focused on achieving excellence at all times. It was one of my best summers ever.
I was hired on as a second cook in one of the busier outlets. Lake Louise is stunning, housing is subsidized, and the only thing you have to worry about is internet. That being said, if you're expecting to be treated fairly, both as a employee and a human being, you'll be deeply disappointed. If you were expecting to enjoy Lake Louise and all that it had to offer, don't. More often than not you'd be working over 12 hours a day, and I was lucky if I got a 15 minute break. I think I might've been fine with that if cooks were allowed to have 2 days off, but because we were short staffed, everyone worked 6 days a week, and had long stretches of upwards to 13 days between days off. I got through my day with energy drinks. So you're working long hours, at least the workplace culture is good right? Not the case. Everyone was super tense on the line, everything you did was never good enough. Management was a joke, my second interaction ever with the sous chef was him yelling at me. Don't ask any of the higher ups how to make anything, you'll be learning from your co-workers. Another thing to note, if you don't have a car, but you're still willing to put up with everything, you'll feel isolated and alone because the closest town is 40 minutes away. There are buses to Banff and to the Lake Louise Village, but because of the long hours all you'll want to do is sleep and recover on your one day off. Working at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise will give you a lot of benefits, a great view, and some great stories. But if you want to be treated with like a person, I strongly - more...
Working at the Fairmont was an amazing experience. With only having little experience in the hotel and food and beverage department, the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise welcomed me with open doors and helped me improve in not just my work, but with my confidence and my customer service skills. Although starting in a department where many of the people were new and had some management struggles, we were a family and helped each other learn and grow. Banquet serving I found was a great starting point in the F&B industry. I was able to learn basic roles of a server and junior serving, and with function helping in other departments, I was able to host as well. Even got to learn basic bartending skills from working the winter season on the outdoor ice bar- which was definitely a highlight of my time there. The hardest part of my job was definitely how physical the work was such as moving tables, chairs, etc and the long hours that came with it (12 hours at most) In the end, the team all had a fun time working together and we got things done effectively and efficiently. All in all, working at the Fairmont was a great job and hope to one day return
Pros
Free on shift meals
Cons
Long hours, lots of physical work
Encouraged by my immediate managers to work independently allowing myself and my team to tackle tasks and overcome problems at our discretion. Whilst working there I have taken it upon myself to overhaul the inventory locations allowing for more accurate and efficient operation of the storeroom. The workload is variable however myself and my colleagues are able to distribute the workload evenly to ensure outlets receive their products in a timely manner. Many days can be extremely hard having to unload up to 20 pallets between a small team in a small storeroom.