Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Happiness score is 78 out of 100

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Awesome workplace because of awesome hardworking hospitable people. We take care of people and create awesome memories for guests and co workers alike.
I have worked for over 10 years in hospitality/customer service industry. The management was hands down the worst. They cared more about their overall appearance then helping out the staff in the bar/restaurant. Management would walk over to the bar from the kitchen to yell at the bartenders and serving staff to go run food from where they just came from. They wouldnt help clear tables, serve or run food which is by definition the job of management to assist the floor staff. Management would yell at the bar team during the busy rushes to move faster causing more chaos for the staff. My anxiety and stress levels were so high working at the Fairmont I had to get put on anti-anxiety medication by my doctor. I started to have such bad stomach issues that the doctors could only discribe as IBS as they could not diagnose the cause. Which turned out to be again due to the stress levels of working at the Fairmont. The ONLY reason I stuck out as long as I could (2 years) was due to the Benefits and discounts staff would receive staying at any other Fairmont location.
Pros
Staff discounts at other fairmonts, above minimum wage pay.
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, horrible management, high stress levels
The weekend to weekend hours was fairly good, especially because I am still in school. I learned about the workplace culture, everyone was very kind. The managers were very respectful and treated everyone equally.
Good place to, it is a very nice building with a calm and friendly atmosphere. The hotel is a stone building looking at the river shore. Nice location downtown.
Best place I’ve ever worked for. Wonderful work atmosphere and everyone is treated like family. You work hard but you’re appreciated and compensated. Very rewarding job and I regret leaving everyday. Only left due to moving to a different city.
Pas mal, j ai appris énormément .ce faire des amis.
Small property, in recent times close 7 hrs/ day. constant schedule change, so no WLB. Great set of colleagues. Management focus on cost crunch. Fast paced day of work with minimal breaks. In general there is a great culture in the hotel. Lots of opportunity to learn different sections or areas of each department.
I worked here for a couple of years. Worst place to work. Supervisors and managements are a joke, to say the least. In my opinion, the GM and Director of HR are very unprofessional. How they have (and continue to hold down) those titles is baffling. I had a couple of interactions with the HR Director. Boy, oh boy. The lack of knowledge and professionalism displayed by all upper management is incredible. Yeah, it's easy to rehearse helping guests with a personalization and smile, but why don't you focus on your employees and morale for a change? Revenue is too valuable? Workplace culture is very non-existent. It's hard to feel good about coming to work here when your immediate supervisor and upper management are on power trips. It is actually quite amusing. I am so happy I finally left this place. There are many more details I could type out, but the ratings I gave will suffice. I think it is self-explanatory.
Pros
I no longer work here
Cons
Too much to type
Lots of supportbenefitsgreat environment hire with ingrowth opportunities several staff events great support from leadershipempowerment great learning opportunities
Pros
Great reputation
Cons
Builiding is aging
Nice work environnement with good relationships between internal and external guests. I had the opportunity to learn more, be in interaction with good people and talk about a career.
Pros
good time at work
Cons
renovate the style of the assistance.
Excelling in customer service, always working to improve. Great management. Opportunitys for growth if you willing to work for it. Always striving to produce the best culinary experience.
It's a nice place to work and have fun with the team. Team work and people are friendly. Flexible, have an opportunity to across work a different department or transfer to another hotel.
Pros
Free lunch on birthday
Hotel rich in history. Recently completed 100yrs. Small kitchen but a great team. Chefs always pushing for betterment of the staff and the guest. Good benefits. Free use of gym and pool on weekends.
• Day to day I would drive hotel guests, including celebrities around the city of edmonton or the airport. I also gave city tours from time to time. • I learned how to advance my professionalism and social skills. • I dealt with multiple managers and learned a greater respect for all of them. • I worked with 250 employees in total, and along side the belldesk team hand in hand, so I have always loved other people, and this job gave me the opportunity to get to know many of them. • Dealing with the Fort Mac guest was very difficult as tears were flowing and I personally made up help and relief flyers with viable information for them. Also we had terminal children stay with us which was heartbreaking. But doing something special for them made their stay a little better. • Everyday I got to see new people and high end guests. Not only each and every unique interaction was special, but I learned many new things and got to meet hundreds of celebrities.
Pros
Cheap lunches/buffet style
Cons
unorganized managers at times
Horrible management and unfair working conditions. Schedule changes without any notice and manager making staff cry.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Long hours without overtime
We will be relocating because of my wife's work but The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald has been an amazing place to work, highly recommend to anyone to be a parte of this chain of hotels.
Pros
oportunities, professional team
Cons
The team while I was at the Hotel Mac was very good. I often got food on shift, and was treated with respect. Mostly set up, tear down and serving functions
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Worked almost every Sat until 3am or later for Brunch flip